1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

This goes to the religious.Do you think less of those who doesn't share your belief?

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by Giovanni Rild, May 28, 2007.

1. Giovanni Rild The mods are my enemy

I see all people as equals Because my belief is one out of many. I also see religious intolerance as no better than racism.

Tags:
  2. GrimaH Absurdist

Religious bashing =/= religious intolerance.

3. Jin-E Well-Known Member

Factual, respectful, polite and serious critique of why i think a specific religion/faith is wrong or incorrect is OK in my book. I dont think religion should be treated like a Holy Cow, devoid of any debates. The key is mutual respect and accepting our differences when its obvious that we share different viewpoints.

What i dont think is OK is to elevate one self as a judge and claim that i have the absolute truth and all others are sinners/heretics.

Simply saying that i believe something is correct when it comes to religion is not the same as saying that my beliefs are indisputable facts.

The same principles should also hold for debating philosophies or political views and ideologies IMO.

4. GrimaH Absurdist

OK, let's not trash this thread with our intolerant posts XD

5. Giovanni Rild The mods are my enemy

I disagree with you because of {reason} is different than,

LOL Christians fail.

6. Jin-E Well-Known Member

Uh.. I sorta got disconnected from this thread.:amuse

7. ZeQueH Well-Known Member

Well that's the political correct answer but somehow i doubt that anyone really feels that way. Are all beliefs really equal? I personally dont think so.

For example, i have a lot more respect for those buddhist monks in nepal then say those Pat Robertson christians in America.

8. GrimaH Absurdist

.....what?
    I was just being sarcastic.
    Anyway, I'm out of here, because I realise I don't really have anything to contribute to the thread.

9. TiGel2. Well-Known Member

No not at all, hell there are only 7 million adherent in the world of my religion, and it is considered the second most widespread religion in the world, therefore Almost everyone I associate with outside of my family is not of my religion. Not to mention that it is against my faith to discriminate anyone for their beliefs. I believe that my religion is correct, but it is not for me to push it on anyone, as it is also against my faith to proselytize, and both also go against my personal values.

But I do feel that some people change their views on me once they see I am not of the same belief system as they are, or because my faith is little known.

10. Edo Αρχίδια

I totally agree.

Why do we need two threads for the same topic??!!

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  11. sadated_peon King of the potato people.

So you consider Hitlers beliefs about being a member of the master race on a equal footing as Gandhi's beliefs of non-violent resistance?

12. GrimaH Absurdist

You misunderstood. He said he saw people as equal.

13. The_Unforgiven Grazie Paolo

I believe that all people are equall, and all have the proper amount of intellectuall power to decide what religion they want to follow based on evidence they see is correct.

14. Zhongda Active Member

So you're utalitarinistish huh? That clashs with Islam seeing how the Quran aims to subjigate the people of the book.

15. Jaga King of the Jungle

i only think less of them after they talk about their religion and act like its the coolest thing in the world... that's annoying since obviously its not the coolest, to me anyways, if I don't believe in it...

but if their faith is different then mine, and they don't really try to promote it or anything, then I view them by their personality...

Example of Viewing them As Lesser Individuals:
    My religion is about this, this, and this. It has many benefits and is really great. Everybody thinks its really helpful and I really love to learn about it. You should check out this pamphlet about my religion and broaden your horizons.

Example of Viewing them As Regular People
    My religion is about this, this, and this.... Hey is that Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 2 over there!?!? I love that game! And did you see the latest episode of Bleach last night? That was the jeonks, but I didn't like it when..blah blah blah.... and I loved it when...blah blah blah...

16. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Not really, unless they start acting like assholes because of it.

I despise people like Richard Dawkins on one side, and despise people like Fred Phelps on the other. lol, comparing those two, Phelps is by far worse........and he's a Christian.

So no, religion doesn't matter to me. Although I admit at times if people follow some religions I feel wierded out....but generally don't treat them any differently(Some religions as in modern day paganism and scientology, but I've yet to meet a scientologist and while the pagans I've met are somewhat wierd.....they are also very nice)

17. Elyon CP9 Liason

The other is asking the question to Atheists, read -__-

Isn't it against Christianity to discourage or hate anyone for any reason? So why do so many do it?

18. DemonAbyss10 Demigod

I am not christian, and i am not athiest, i follow my own version of nature worship to a degree.

Elyon, your right to a point, if what i read years ago hasnt changed.

Everyone IMO should forge thier own path, form thier own beliefs, but thats just me ^^

19. Goodfellow .

Has this thread even got one honest answer on topic yet:neutral?

20. Haze is Dreamin' Banned

no i agree with the OP its is basically racists to treat someone differently just cause of their race

21. Mintaka Well-Known Member

Ha to bad Christianity isn't a race. Cant take being made fun of?

TO BAD. Everyone else has to deal with it and your no exception. Even though your people sometimes tend to think you are.

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  22. GrimaH Absurdist

Read the thread before you post and make a fool of yourself.
    Or just take your fail back to the blender.

Edit: No wait, don't take your fail anywhere near the blender.

23. Circe WONGA

No. It isn't my place.

24. DarkRaven7789 Kamehameha?

Its not really hard to send people who dont share your beliefs on their way.If you feel that they are lesser beings then you should get yourself checked

25. NU-KazeKage The Real Kaze Kage...

because they arnt really christian...people need to stop thinking just cause a christian does somthing that its a neg on christ. people can say that they are alot of things dosnt mean they will ACT like it and in christianity we are supposed to love everyone regardless ...im not going to lie thats VERY hard to do but i try

26. Jagon Fox Bad-Ass Uke Girl!

i don't see all people as equal, however we do make up part of a whole as a species for good and bad alike. do I think less of people who don't share my religios path, no, but lately I've been rather...disgsted with most of the human race (myself included in general). back on topic no, unless many of the dogmas are harmful to life, not just the lives of people who don't think like them, but even the people who do, i.e. bigots.

27. Amaretti No strong feelings whatsoever

What christianity is and what it is supposed to be are two very different things, but that doesn't mean that people should overlook the flaws christianity has just because they're not supposed to be there.

The 'no true christian would do *such and such*' is the same as the 'no true Scotsman' fallacy since the only definition of a christian is 'someone who adheres to christianity'. Just because there are lousy christians doesn't make them any less christian, because as long as they adhere to the faith, that is what they are. You can't disown the those christians just because they make you look bad. If you want to take responsibility for the good elements of your religion, you have to take responsibility for the bad too. Otherwise it's just hypocrisy.

28. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Can't the same thing be attributed to Atheism?

Sure, there are no rules there, but since apparently the acts of a Christian do represent the group the same should apply to you.

29. IBU Hopsecutioner

Telling someone to respect beliefs and people to an equal extent is completely ridiculous and puts a precedent on fallacious political correctness over individual honesty. What we do have to respect is a person's right to believe or think freely. I respect someone's right to have beliefs in white superiority or the justifiability of violence in the name of religion. However, I do not respect many of the people nor do I respect the beliefs in themselves. To say otherwise is to be dishonest to one's self.

To take the issue of dishonesty to one's self further, I will say that by respecting others beliefs you are giving them some sort of value or validity. And certainly if I thought a belief in the Mormon faith for example had value and validity I would believe it myself, at least to an extent. Or at least understand why the person has said belief. However, since I think that Mormonism fails these tests, I do not respect the belief.

I respect people based on their attitudes and the way said people act. If they are nice people, who have views I have no respect for I will still respect them. If they have inherently violent views, then I probably won't. I merely see a respect for the right to believe and say what one feels as necessary. Respect for people and the beliefs themselves would require that beliefs have value and that all people are worth respecting from the subjective position.

30. The Internet Banned

When the action is done in the name of Atheism, yeah. But I can't think of any event where atheism was used as the reason for it.

And don't bring up hitler or stalin, educate yourself on why they did their actions.