1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

This series is Overrated MHA Rant

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by StarlightAshley, Dec 4, 2018.

1. StarlightAshley Banned

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and I'm not posting this to troll let me try to explain

I genuinely don't understand why this series is so highly acclaimed. MHA Fans made me watch it with them, and I was excited to try it, I like to be open minded they were really hyping it up as the best anime this decade. :):)

So we marathoned the first two seasons sped up, and finished in like half a day. After watching it I honestly was underwhelmed. They were hyping the series up like "its the best shounen its better than Naruto ect ect" But When we watched it I was like...this seems like a generic shounen I don't get it. Why is it so loved?

The Animation isn't even that good either like, I remember the last fight of season 1 was All might vs Some Monster thing. And the MHA fans I watched with were like OMFG THIS IS SO EPIC THIS IS IN THE TOP 10 ANIME FIGHTS FOR SURE. But..the animation was pretty subpar and slow ...and it wasnt very exciting or climatic at all. They were clearly blinded by bias and hype.

In season 2 the Tournament arc was interesting. Thats where people were saying the show gets "good" and that the tournament arc is even the best tournament arc in all of anime. I watched it..and while it was decently entertaining, I like tournaments in series. This was no exception, it was just as good as any other tournament ive seen in an anime I see no reason to consider it the best tournament in a shounen.

And just another side note, I noticed aloot of things that seem to be copied right from naruto. The teacher with that nullifcation power had a dead parallel to kakkashi in one scene. The tournament arc is alot like the chuunin exams. That fire ice boy with the scar on his face is alot like Zuko from avatar. That one villan at the end of season 2 looks like a red recolor meth addicted zabuza, and has Hidan's power.

And another thing the Villans, good antagonist can be the draw of a show. But not in this series. Atleast not in the first 2 seasons. Their are no iconic villans so far. Its just been like..some creeper with a hand covering his face, he dosent look intimidating at all. That Giant Monster thing that All Might beats at the end of season 1, And that Zabuza Hidan ripoff who looks extremely ugly

And on a side note the characters in this series are very weak. I'm fine with that I don't like DBZ where its about ridiculous unfathomable power levels. But ive seen people make arguments about like All might vs One punch man...and thats just like What??? Based on what ive seen, Their is absouletly nothing that would remotley hint at All Might being mentioned in the same sentence as a series like one punch man. The powerlevel of this series is super low tier. Theyre all normal humans with exactly 1 simple power. And yet the MHA fans I watched it with were hyping up the characters like they would beat one piece characters and stuff and Im like >.>

Anyways I'm not saying this to dis the show, It's not that I find it bad. Its just I find it ok. I don't get where the 'great' 'perfect' 'best shounen ever' 'revolutionises the genre' ect, is coming from? :):)

Tags:
    • Deku Deku x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. rborges01 Well-Known Member

It’s all about opinions. People call Naruto “the greatest anime of all time” and I’m not complaining and making rants. So I don’t know why you are so focused on what other people say.

3. StarlightAshley Banned

Because I don't know anyone else who agrees with me, literally everyone else I know whose seen the show believes its a masterpiece. But why? What makes this better than other shounen? even subjectively? :):)

4. Tayimus Number One

Those people are retarded. BnHA isn't that good, and I've been a fan since Chapter One.

5. Visa DekUravity Shipping Trash

That's all I can tell you honey. :catshrug

6. Milliardo G.L.P.

Why do people have to have shit like this explained to them? Should be obvious that you will not think everything that is popular is super great.. I thought Naruto was shit yet it was still popular.

Also Stain is like Zabuza? How? I don't get the chunin exams comparison too.. So you must hated that Naruto ripped off HunterxHunter with the Hunter's exam..

7. BreadBoy #1 Kale Fan

I'm... confused as to the Zabusa thing. They look nothing alike and their fighting styles are completely different. Zabusa fights for money, and Stain is the exact opposite of that.

8. Haruka Katana

Japan
    Catdank Faction:
    you know a series is popular when people start saying its overrated. :bury

For reals though MHA like Tayimus said is not THAT good, not best shonen ever level. It's good nonetheless. Maybe people overhyped you a bit too much. Still, if people are loving the anime to the extent its doing it right :catflower

This feels like Naruto all again :hm

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • List
  9. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

There is a lot of lazy and surface level criticism here, its fine if you don't like it but when you expand your sphere of influence you realize nothing is truly original. My Hero pulls more from star wars and marvel comics then it does Naruto, and Star Wars is draws from decades of older movies tropes and design. The point is, nothing is original, everything is derivative and it only takes a magnifying lens and simple expanding what you watch to see where you are wrong, were misguided or you misjudged. If you are not into the characters and story, then no amount of spectacle will win you over. As much as people creme their pants over One Punch Man, Mob Psycho is ONE's better series and I'd get more hyped for it then anything OPM could throw at me.

One of the thing that My Hero manages to do to capture its audience is that its extremely emotionally resonate, it can almost rewrite the book on how to make likable and appealing characters. My two favorite characters are a spouse and child abuser and a bully with insecurity issues so far up his ass that its spewing from his mouth. I don't like them for those characteristics, I like them for the people underneath, their story and circumstances.

My Hero has a lot of flaws, but flaws don't make a series bad.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Tayimus Number One

I'm sorry, I gotta ask, exactly what does make a series bad if not "a lot of flaws"? :tomha

11. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

I am of the opinion the only bad series are the ones you feel nothing towards, being indifferent to something is the worst of all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Deku Deku x 1
    • List
  12. StarlightAshley Banned

You don't see any resemblance in their designs whatsoever?? I'm not saying he literally traced Zabuza i'm just saying he definitely was basing Stain off of Zabuza, especially considering hes a clearly a Naruto fan. And his fight wasn't anything special he just has hidan's power and is quick. I don't even remember his motive for being evil, if he even had one. I nick named him sh*t Stain when I was watching it just to remember his name LOL

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  13. StarlightAshley Banned

That's another thing! One of the MHA fans kept saying "My favorite character is the explosion guy" I think his name is Byakako, he was hyping him up as an awesome character so I watched and and he is SUCH an unlikeable character exactly the Opposite of what you said I dont understand why he has fans he dosent deserve any he literally has the personality of a Generic Fodder Bully in any other anime. And on top of that he has anger issues. How is that likable?!? I saw absouletlty 0 reason for anyone to like him at all (in the first 2 seasons) its almost like the exact opposite like they were going out of the way to make him a douche that you hate.

He bullies the main character, I kept waiting for something bad to happen to him for poetic justice, but no he actually WINS the tournament. Is that why people like him, because he's the most OP of his classmates?? :neutral:neutral This guy dosen't even act like a hero he acts like a villan, why does he even go to hero school?

And no I didn't I say it was bad, It was decent. But not exceptional. I just want to know what makes its fans consider it better than the other shounens!? :):)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  14. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Its really hard to diagnose Bakugo, its easy to hate him because he was designed that way, but you get to see what makes him tick and understand him. Its hard to tell people why they should like Bakugo, its something you have to experience. I think its just more emotionally resonate then a lot of other shounen. I connect more with the characters, because its more grounded in believability, its probably why a lot of people like the series.

15. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

I enjoy MHA alot mostly because of the characterisation and interactions. I'm sorry, if people around you overhyped it as a masterpiece shonen. I for one, came into this series with very low expectations (because people were comparing it to Naruto), but I ended up enjoying it alot because, I honestly like the main characters more and it does stray away from typical shonen tropes at times.

It's far from perfect. You can argue that one of the main weaknesses of MHA is the worldbuilding.

16. Aros001 Member

Yeah, overhype can hurt enjoyment of a lot of shows and movies. I actually was able to go into the first season of MHA pretty blind and I was actually worried I wasn't going to like it, mainly because I thought the idea of a school teaching people how to be superheroes cheapened the idea and weight of being a superhero. Thankfully, I ended up really liking the series and have stayed up to date on the current chapters.

I think sometimes certain series fill a niche for people. It's just the right thing for them. It's what they've been waiting for, whether they knew it or not, and they can get a little carried away with their praise for it, even if what they're praising only means that much to them. I'm a big superhero fanboy, while I've only seen a handful of anime all the way through (I've definitely read more manga than I've watched anime). So I'm not at all surprised MHA hit me in my sweet spot. It has a lot of stuff I find lacking sometimes in Marvel and DC comics while still having a lot of things I love from anime and comics.

I'm never going to claim MHA is the best anime ever. I won't even claim it's the best superhero work ever. It's simply one of my favorites, easily in the top five, maybe even top three, simply because I love almost all the characters, I love the world, and it's a superhero story that I, as a fanboy, love getting invested in and seeing what happens next.

Funny thing is that hype can work the other way around too. I heard nothing about how awful season 4 of The Flash was and when I finally saw it on DVD, I ended up really liking it and questioning what everyone hated so much about it. Expectations and hype are weird like that.

17. Aros001 Member

I think it's when the flaws outweigh everything good in the series, or if the flaws are heavy enough that they overshadow everything that's good in the series. I can't think of any movie or series that is flawless or without its share of problems. The main thing of importance is that the flaws do not weigh the series down for you. If you can't see anything other than the flaws and have to really try hard to reach the things you like, then it's a bad series.

18. ~VK~ The King

Lol the OP writes like a typical "oblivous" troll. No offence.

Is this one of them infamous NF traps some of you always fall for? :mjlol

19. StarlightAshley Banned

What's an oblivious troll? :confused::confused:

20. Tayimus Number One

Yeah. I dunno why, it seems like people have forgotten the flack that BnHA used to get back in the day. They've forgotten how we used to respond to criticisms, "Meh, if you don't like it, oh well". We were pretty chill about negative opinions thrown at BnHA. Now, it's all "That's unfair! I'm gonna write multiple paragraphs about why you're wrong in your opinion". Boggles my mind.

21. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  22. Visa DekUravity Shipping Trash

23. Yak Well-Known Member

So according to that logic I would write the greatest nonsense; absolute hogwash and logical garbage story and as long as people still fealt greatly about it - for example rightfully completely hated it - it would not be a bad series.

Amazing argument, Xiammes.

24. ~VK~ The King

I mean he prolly means that sometimes being indifferent is worse than just hating it.

But regardless of the amount of hate or indifference it generates if something's trash, it's trash.

25. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  26. ~VK~ The King

It is. Technically. Literature consists of all bodies of written work. Mangas and comics do fall under that even if they also rely on visual art.

27. Yak Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much. Of course being indifferent towards a series doesn't bode well for it but flaws can obviously make a series bad.

28. luffy no haki 1st seat

This Is great but not really close to a masterpiece, the author just knows what he Is doing more often than not compared to other shonen and thats it. On the other hand there are people who still think post ts Naruto and Bleach were good so...

All in all, your fault for getting on your friends hype train before verifying if it had brakes.:catshrug

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  29. Sir Curlyhat Well-Known Member

I agree with All Might vs Nomu not being that great of a fight, and with Season 1's art/animation not being spectacular.

Your perception of MHA Villains for the first two seasons also makes sense, and it's actually intended. You're for the most part dealing with Villains that are at the beginning of their own journey, as the big players were dealt with by All Might in his good days, as he became the Symbol of Peace. Especially in the second season you're pretty much told this, definitely so at least after the Stain incident.

I don't really get the Stain rant.

I would call MHA great and would recommend anyone to try it, but it probably was not a good idea to go in expecting something revolutionary, especially not on surface level. Because on that level MHA is just solid, and it does not take too many risks. There are however nuances that you can appreciate, and tell that Horikoshi's great understanding of the basic formula allowed him to play with it in various ways, and subvert certain expectations.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  30. Sir Curlyhat Well-Known Member

Caught a glimpse of the Bakugo post, and i have to say that in general i think people do a disservice to new readers by telling them that they are going to love his character. I did end up liking Bakugo, but i wonder myself how my experience would change if i went in beign told that he's the best thing ever. I can really appreciate my journey from perceiving him as the generic bully that's ought to be discarded as soon as the MC get's on the right track, to someone who can steal the spotlight with his own journey towards being a Hero in every sense of the word.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018