1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Those were the good 'ole days...

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by Nerf Herder, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Nerf Herder Ninja of the Sand

Man, the more I think about it, the more I miss my old gaming days, back when I had my SNES and NES. Back then, I never cared what system was better than which. I also miss the old school games. These days, games have to be pretty, because we all know that now it's all about graphics. In my opinion, good graphics are a lot like spoilers (car spoilers): they look nice, but they aren't necessary. Back then, as long as it was fun I'd play anything. Didn't matter what system, didn't matter how pretty it looked. Maybe that's why I want the Revolution so much, because I want a return to old school. The fact of the matter is, this generation of gaming isn't about gaming anymore, it's all about making the sale, and it is quite depressing. Given, there are still good games coming out from time to time, but the focus is no longer on the games for the most part. It's more about how much money each company can make and how pretty they can make everything. And, in the case of some companies, it's simply a matter of how many games they can shove down your throat in one year.

So...anyway...lemme know where you guys stand on the subject. This is all opinionated too, so I wanna hear all takes on this. And if there's already a thread on this...well then, I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

Tags:
  2. Jedi Mind Tricks <font face='Palatino Linotype, Arial'><font size='

For me, old school games like Super Mario World, Street Fighter, Sonic and Ghosts and Ghouls are just games that served their purpose back then.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are class games but thats my opinion.

On a side note; I can't wait for the Nintendo Revolution as well, I really want to try out the Earthbound series and Chrono Trigger.

3. NashNinja Your standard issue ninja

I don't care how old a game gets. If I find it fun, then that's what matters to me. I don't need any complicated storylines of fancy graphics or anything like that, just something that won't kill me to play for a few hours. So, old, new, somewhere in between, whatever. The fun factor's what'll get me playing your game.

Overall, though, I'm a sucker for the classics, but I play plenty of the new ones, so don't think I'm like your grandpa on the matter.

4. Kira Yamato Genei Ryodan Retired Staff

I love to play the classics. Maybe that's why I bought the StreetFighter Anniversary special. But I loved Sonic 2 for sega and Super Maior Bros for Super Nes.

Don't get me started on the Streets of Rage series (sega) and TMNT IV: Turtles in Time (snes) :nuts

5. meatpie Chairman

You play that game now and you realise how crappy games have become these days..

It's truly a masterpiece. Infact, it's one of the best RPGs ever made.

Earthbound is funny game. It's different. Once again you realise how creativity has fallen to the pits ever since Playstation and X-Box came into the market.

The world the Sega and Nintendo once ruled was so good...

6. Maestrogamer New Member

I totally agree!! Games are not what they used to be. I remember playing games on the original nes for hours and hours and really getting in to them. When I go back to those games now, they seem twice as hard then when they were new. I think todays games are more like interactive movies and don't really challenge us like the old games did.

7. Minus617 -=Spanish=-

Those were all classic and thankfully when I'm bored I have my trusty emulator on my PC to play some of those classics like for example I d/l RiverCity Randsom the other day and man is that game still pretty fun. Nice game to pass some time with too.

8. Luffy2692 Come Play Warcraft With Me!

the thing i miss the most is that there are no new games. there all remakes now. i want to go back to when there were new games like "mario" or whatever you call it. lol

9. Duy Nguyen Turtlin'

I miss the good ol' days in which you go to any local arcade and you will see a huge crowd surrounding the Street Fighter machines...good times.

10. meatpie Chairman

Hmm yeah creativity has just gone down the drain...

And yes I still remember Streetfighter 2: world warriors.
    Man and they were so cheap to play...

Now those arcade machines are bloody expensive.

11. Balance 'coz it's needed.

SNES did have a lot of charm to it, and I do realize the problem with the gaming industry trying to simply make the sale anymore... However, back in my SNES days I was too young to truly comprehend and appreciate the entertainment I got from videogames. Now I'm growing up in the "next-gen" era of gaming, and it wasn't until the PlayStation (the first one) that I began to realize that gaming is a pretty great hobby. Now we've moved onto the "current gen", with the passing of the Dreamcast (which I favored a lot), the release of PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube, and it feels like here that I've become a full-fledged gamer.

To me, since I got on the gaming bandwagon a little late, PlayStation 2 will probably be that SNES-type milestone of gaming that I look back upon as the golden age of gaming. It's not that I don't appreciate NES (never owned one personally) or SNES... It's just that this is where I got the same experience that older gamers got from the older consoles. I'll look back upon the Resident Evil series, Metal Gear Solid series, the newer incarnation of Nintendo classics (Zelda and Mario), etc.. as gaming milestones.

But as I mentioned before, gaming is suffering from publisher greed as games become more and more mainstream. Even the most talented of developers often look to sequels to find a few quick bucks, and sometimes it comes at the cost of the game losing some of its heart. The biggest example I can think of is Devil May Cry 2, which is self-explanatory in itself. Of course they bounced back with DMC3 (and some would argue that the bounce back was quite radical, given DMC3's difficulty level -- I don't necessarily agree, but it was definitely a step up from DMC2).

Ah, well, even some of the bigger developers like Hideo Kojima and Shigeru Miyamoto pump out sequels to no end. Mario's still going strong under Miyamoto's watch, and Kojima just keeps jumping back on Metal Gear projects when he says he's gonna quit. Haven't been disappointed with either of their works, though.. so somtimes it can be a good thing.

Anyways, I think that covers all the points that this topic was supposed to discuss.

12. Deimos Divine Darkness

Damn true. These really were the good old days. I miss them just as much.

13. meatpie Chairman

You've raised a very good point.

I want to add another point.

There is a reason why I like Nintendo more so than Sony or Microsoft...
    Nintendo as a console and the in house games that they produce still has that old school feel to it. I don't know how to quite describe it but it's got that touch and feel that many recent games just do not have.

The old school way is all about gameplay, and it doesn't matter if the graphics is crap or not realistic because it's gameplay at the centre of the attention.

14. n8dogg UGH.

So what made Chrono Trigger the greatest RPG of all time? Several things, which many here in this thread don't seem to like.

1. Pretty graphics mean absolutely nothing to a game.

You may say that, but understand that Chrono Trigger was probably one of the best looking SNES titles ever made. Akira Toriyama's character designs were excellent, and the spriting was detailed down to the teeth. This fact was one of the biggest reasons for CT's success back in the 90s. Even people today who can't appreciate the grainy 8-bit or the 16-bit era can still play Chrono Trigger with ease.

2. The battle system is almost the same as the systems that TONS of RPGs use today. Time gauges? Seen it loads of times. Dual attacks? Even Mega Man X Command Mission, which wasn't a very good RPG, used multi character attacks.

3. The complicated storyline, which again is one of the "stupid" things that apparently games focus on too much these days. Chrono Trigger's storyline weaves in and out through TIME fer crissakes! In fact, I myself couldn't understand the story until I got to be about 12 years old.

It's not like EVERY game was brilliant back in the day. From my experience of playing emulators, I can see that there were plenty of terrible SNES and Sega games that suffer from the same problems of today. Movie licensed cash cows, unnecessary sequels, and ESPECIALLY rip-offs were rapant in the 90s. Games can't just survive on gameplay alone, although it's a major part of making a successful title. You've got to have the whole package. Pretty visuals, nice soundtrack, etc etc.

And I agree with Balance. I didn't really start seeing whether a game was good or not until I hit about 14. Heck, one of my favorite games in my early teen years was Beyond the Beyond!! Boy, was I stupid.

EDIT:

Can somebody name one game that had TERRIBLE visuals, but was completely awesome? And you have to keep it within the time period. Because if you don't, then the original Zelda could be an answer.

15. Nerf Herder Ninja of the Sand

And that's exactly why I'll always favor Nintendo over the competition, because they still make games based on what counts, the gameplay. If only everybody else was like that...

16. Orumitzu Attention Whore

Amen, I hate the console wars. There is only one thing that matters to me in a game: GAMEPLAY. Many older games had more gameplay than 10 new games put together.

17. Kiba_and_Pals Grapey $

Thats why yall need to get the revolution.

18. theoneandonly is back to his origin

yeah the times of NES, SNES and SEGA....well sometimes i play the ROMs on my pc..

19. Insipidipity Ignostic Buddhist

20. Ssj3_Goku Hey dood!

basically i think the world of video gaming as of today is getting over flooded with idea's getting used over and over and blood and gore and peopel worring about graphics etc.

look how cool four swords for Gamecube is its great and alot of fun.

21. meatpie Chairman

In response to n8dogg: A game that had crappy visuals but a great game nonetheless?

We've been talking about a lot of console games but I would like to change the focus abit and talk about a PC classic.

It will have to be "quarantine" on the PC. It was awesome. You are taxi driver in this futuristic city that is full of crime and death. You you have gangs everywhere, drive by shootings every minute.

You had to missions and in between missions you had to make money from doing your normal taxi driver thing (taking people from A to B).

You had so much freedom in this game. If you felt like it you could just go for a drive in the city (or a drive by). Visit the weapons store and add a nother rocket launcher on your bonnet...

I've still got the game but too bad I can't play it anymore...It just runs too fast on my current computer.

22. Heldensheld Chunnin

I had Nintendo 93. It had Super Mario but in 2D versions.

23. Smooth Jazz New Member

Yea Im also all about the classics, actaully im looking at my trusty SNES as I write this post. I also care more for gameplay than anything else, but even I have to admit that visuals sweeten the deal. Its true that compared to today the graphics are nothing but regardless of how good the gameplay is, great visuals still really help. Ive got some great games for my Super, Mario World, Street Fighter 2:Turbo, Mario Kart, DKC1, DKC2 (my fav game ever), Pilotwings and of course best racing game ever Top Gear 2, etc but the point is even to this day I play them all, the only other system I own is the N64 and thats hardly ever touched.

24. mgrace Guess Who's Back?!?!?!

Commodre 64...... it's game only had 64 bit... but im telling you the amount of game play in one of those games was amazing...

I loved those games my favourite was Alice in Wonderland.. You may think I'm lame but it was a RPG Platform game.. Yeah it was awesome.. You traveled around eating pies to grow..... swam... walked... and YES talked to characters to get items.... these items could be used to help u like cakes.. parasole... and the hardest item to find the TOPHAT........ Took me many years to finish... and when I did I was so happy..... Only ever finished that game twice... ahhh memories...

25. Nerf Herder Ninja of the Sand

--_-- please tell me you're joking? ET was the worst game I ever played...but yeah, Atari freakin' rocked. I still have all mine and all my games for it.

26. Luffy2692 Come Play Warcraft With Me!

i think nintendo realizes how alot of people arent as satisfied with newer products and games. thats where theyre headed with the revolution and its new backwards compatibility with 20 years of nintendo. i cant wait

27. CrazyMoronX Old Man

Generally the older games, especially SNES games, own newer games hard.

FFVI owns every other Final Fantasy, FFVII and FFT come close though...

Seiken Densetsu III owns almost every other RPG period. And the graphics are nicer to look at than 75% of the games today.

Zelda II for NES and Zelda III for SNES were the two greatest Zelda games. III being the best.

Chrono Trigger... well it destroys Chrono Cross, and is seconded only to FFVI as far as best RPG of all time.

Mario III... BEST MARIO EVER.

28. Meijin Smile

EXCITEBIKE

29. Nost Key Framer

Man the first mario kicked ass, 1984 i think it first came out, although it was much later that i first saw it, fun as hell though.

Any one else here ever have an amiga500? man those things rocked, the games kicked ass (old school piracy) and sega master system controllers pluged into them too! wow, i loved my amiga, i wish i had it now it was cool.

30. meatpie Chairman

Which Atari are you guys talking about? The 2600?

Anyway...river raid was awesome. Anyone remember it?