1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Those who obsess over brand name clothes

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by poona, Nov 22, 2005.

1. poona Member

Sometimes when my friend and I go to the gym together, after our workout we would sit and discuss philosophical stuff and, occasionally, debate about it, and we would eventually come up with a conclusion of some sort. We talked about certain friends of ours who obsessed over brand name clothes, shoes etc. We came up with the conclusion that those who obsessed over these things (Unless they aspired to be or already were fasion designers or something of the like.) usually led meaningless lives.

Please discuss and express your opinions (Please be civilized.).

Tags:
  2. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

I don't understand it very well, either. It's doubly perplexing with women-- and a few guys I've met who can be jut as bad-- so many of them will cut each other down over a name on a pair of pants, but unless they planned it that way, they'll get really pissed at each other if they both show up wearing the same thing. But then again, the whole game seems to revolve around everyone looking alike to begin with... :S

Though I suspect that working in a sweatshop at some point in their childhood would have broken most of these people of their obsession with designer clothes.

3. Leen Peacemaker

Obsessing over a certain brand is not very bad and people obsessing to certain brands may not necessary lead a meaningless life. I am not obsessed to certain brand but I tend to be a loyal brand user. If I use brand A for my shoes, I'll stick to brand A until the end. I dont know why but it's my nature to do so.

However, if someone is willing to spend over the limit just to get the latest Nike shoes to show off or something like that, then they are living a meaningless life. What's the use of showing off when the real purpose of buying a branded stuff is for their proven quality?

Women especially have the tendency to compare brands since I am not a dude, so I dont know about guys. Lots of girls in my age or those adults older than me like my teachers often look at what others wear. If they find someone wearing the same shoes or blouse like the one they have, they will forever not wear that clothes again. I just feel that it is pathetic to quarell over these small stuff.

Still, it's just my opinion.

4. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

I don't believe I've ever struck up a conversation with anyone because of what brand of clothes they were wearing.

I refused to buy certain brands because of their attrocious human rights records.

And what brands/generics I buy, I buy ONLY as long as their quality/price/etc meet my standards. I'm not a brand-whore, I'm very practical about my gear.

Oh, and I often strip away the brand labels if they are overly obnoxious. I'm not a walking billboard, either.

5. Leen Peacemaker

Exactly, I buy brands only when it is proven that that brand has a good quality products so that I can use it for a long time without having to worry about wear and tear. I would rather buy a branded pen that can last for 1 month thought it is more expensive than to buy a cheap one that can only be used for 1 week.

6. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

My apologies, Eileen, I didn't mean to call *you* a brand-whore, I was just trying to make a point about the difference between paying attention to quality and being dazzled by the hype.

7. poona Member

Yes, I was specifically speaking about those who will spend ridiculous amounts of cash just to get a pair of the latest Levi's jeans or something like that. It is a miserable sight to see people who have no other purposes in their lives exept to get some kind of clothing.

I was born with 'a silver spoon in my nouth' so to speak. I come from a upper middle class family and we are really well off, I go to a private school and all else one would expect from someone of my background. As a consequence of that, some people I meet at school are complete snobs. They will judge a person by what he wears or what car daddy drives. Honestly speaking, most of those people have no specific goals in their lives.

There is a specific reason I dislike the brand name clothings of today. Decades ago, brands like Louis Vuitton(spelling?) and Gucci were hand knitten, thats why they were so expensive to buy, but nowadays they are mass produced, yet they are still unreasonably overpriced. The brands I hate the most are ones I think are called Bathing Ape, Comme des Garcons, X-Large etc. Those clothes are worth about 3 US dollars at the most, they write out their brand's name in a strange font on one of their t-shirts and automatically its worth 2000 HKD.

8. Leen Peacemaker

Agree, as I say earlier, we should strive for quality and longetivity, not for showing off. Let's say u have 100 Levi's jeans, so what? That doesn't make u the greatest person in the world. Only the Levi's CEO will smile at u and say "Come, give some more money to us."

There are millionares in my country who drives BMW but still he doesn't wear any Versace. In fact, he walks on bare foot. Now how can u explain that? Dont judge a book by it's cover. Just because someone has big cars, it doesn't make them rich. These people who try to show to the world that they are rich by buying things they can even afford, is actually the poorest people in the world, ethically and morally. I have frineds who is very rich but still he drives an old Toyota every day. There's no point in judging people by their appearence. It's totally wrong.

[/QUOTE]

LV and Gucci are overpriced so to say, but they are very limited as well, I guess?:wink As for those Bathing Ape, blah blah blah, they are just common T-shirt and I certainly wont buy them. I dont even recognize their value. I will prefer to get a real Prada than to buy all these so called 'hip' and 'modern' clothes. They are just a bunch of young entrepenuers who know how to exploit the mind of the young teenagers nowadays. I dont see any point in getting all these brand. Quality is my number 1 priority, not brand.

P/S : Neko, it's all right. I dont mind. :thumbs

9. rimpelcut You know it, I know it.

it's all about the statement you see? the statement that is shared by certain groups in society.

10. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

Its a status symbol, we all know what a rolex would cost, so people spend $10,000 on a rolex to show you that they've made it, or that they're important.

Same thing with brands like Levis, people want you to see that they have something of worth.

Personally I try to wear shirts like Dockers dress shirts and pants where you can't see the brand label because its on the inside, not because I feel showing off a label is a pathetic attempt to get attention (to each their own), I simply think it looks tacky to have a huge Tommy Jeans logo going down half your leg, I prefer the solid shirts and colors.

11. Kasumi 霞 Drawing Chalk Outlines

Eh why? Iono because everyone else is doing it? Because they want to show off that they can be just like that cool guy over there or that hot celebrity in that magazine or that they can just afford it...

Would they lead meaningless lives? Well I suppose that's really up to them to decide, maybe they'll snap out of it, maybe they'll continue to wear whatever they see other people wearing... who knows...

I myself prefer clothes without names on them. Possibly because I was born pretty dang poor.

12. earthshine Banned

i prefer just solid colors, not many with desighns, and if there is one, its not somthing related with the brand. i could care less what clothes cost, but there is not way in hell im gonna spend $500 of my hard earned cash to buy some shoes and a outfit or two.

13. poona Member

Its strange how vanity can cause someone to do stupid stuff. Yesterday a friend of mine got a perm(spelling?) in his hair, people said it was strange, today he didn't come to school, it was rumored that he went to get his hair re-straigtened, I even heard he actually cried about it lol. If he had never cared about what people thought of him he wouldn't be in such a mess eh? I know some people are sensitive, I am too, but crying is a bit much...

14. Gunners .

To some limits brand clothes is good like if i buy levi, nike, fcuk, i know im getting quality clothes.

Now when you spend £30,000 on a belt the time comes for a slap ( wayne roonys gf)

15. furious styles ☆☆☆☆☆

brand whores make me laugh. HAHA, SEE I LAUGH.

16. hesd Anomic.

Could you test this for me: Your friends aspire to move up on the social ladder (upward social mobility) through status symbol emulation. Null hypothesis: Your friends already are in the upper rung. Alternative: Indeed, they seem to aspire for higher status and it's consequent prestige. If you accept the null, then this is going to be a bit challenging.

17. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

This whole sidcussion brings to mind the old tale about the Emperor and his new... um, clothes. When I was a kid, I was the boy who told the Emperor he was ass-naked.

Some people pay a disturbing amount of attention to appearances, wihtout looking underneath, then wonder how they got screwed over later. There are others who will repeatedly go into debt trying to hold the trappings of wealth and social status without ever attaining either.

18. Leen Peacemaker

Well, if those brand-whore still want to be brand-whore, let them be. After all, they are the one suffering from their stupidity, not us. Besides, it gives a chance for the smarter ones to laugh at them.

One more thing that come across my mind is the differences between the brand-whores themselves.

1. those that spend over their limit to buy designer's clothings.
    2. those who spend their time looking for fake designer's clothings.

Just wondering. who is more stupid??

19. poona Member

Honestly, who do they think they're kidding? Those who go over the top to buy the real ones are morons. Those who buy fakes are asses. Both types are just as bad.

20. zionforsell Member

The reason why brand-name clothes are expensive is that they are special. Wearing a designer brand means that you are wearing the style of the designer. The thing is: you HAVE to KNOW their VALUE. Most people just put on whatever pricey to be "cool", or "classy" => but infact, they look obnoxious! It doesn't matter WHAT you wear, it's HOW you wear it. Plus, why pay 500$ for a daily-wear tank top??? 500$ for a special evening-looking top, may be... Or a trench coach you can use for life? Definitely! People pay silly money to look "cool". I can walk out with dirt-cheap outfit and look like I usually shop at D&G or Armani. Hell, they keep complementing on my victorian blouses and have no idea I bought that for 50 cents!!! lol And the weird thing is: I can predict what will be the hot look next year. So everytime I started wearing something, next year, people are gonna start wearing the same thing!

21. Shishou Under this eyepatch is an eye!

22. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

.. brand close are retard they just have labels on them.. black slik shirt and brown dress pants>>>>>>>>>> all brand names anyway.

23. soysauce how troublesome *_*

its ok to be obsessed as long as u have money

24. poona Member

Hell soysauce, you can't beat that statement.

25. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

Omg soysauce, again you show, in yet another thread the ability to give magnificent one liners.. therby displaying both lazyness and intelligences. I'd rep you but I just did so I can't at the moment, however, I will as soon as possible.

26. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

There was once a time when designer names meant something, though mostly just a fashion statement for those rich enough to afford, but now the clothes are mostly just rehashes of older styles, and instead of being taylored by people who could ransom their services to rich clients, they are instead made by slave labor in various Asion and South American countries. Most of the clothing is no more costly than the generic stuff, and countless thousands suffer and are held hostage by a psuedo-economy that forces them to choose between sweatshops and starvation.

Stupid trendiness aside, that is the strongest reason why I refuse to finance these operations, and encourage anyone else with a heart to do likewise.

27. Crazy Like a Fox AKA Knowledge

I would have to agree with you. I used to be concerned when I was a little younger, but then it dawned on me. Why do I care about it? After that realization I've basically wore whatever looks nice, but not ridiculosly expensive.

28. Dark Schneider The Ruler of the Universe

Let's start with the basics, I hate shopping. Oh how I despise it so! That being said, I really don't give a damn what brand ( or if any) I wear. In the end run, it's all clothes.

The more I look the different marketing campaigns and their effects on people. The more I realize, how fricken brilliant they are. Damn I want in! :wink

29. zionforsell Member

Designer-Fashion is just like antiques. Most will say antique-fans are crazy. Why buy a used coffetable when you can easily buy a new one??? But the thing is that antiques accent your house. It creates feeling of time and era. It has history! I think there is no need to bash pricey stuff, but the snobs who misuse them. Designer stuff usually pricey for the cut, the material, the style, and the brand. It pisses me off when s***heads -with tons of money- just "grab" the clothes and think it makes them look cool. But they look cheap and trampy and clown-like. It is like an insult to those who really appreciate and understand the meaning of designer-fashion. I wear cheap stuff, bargain stuff, flea-market stuff, high-end fashion, department clothes.... I am not ashamed of that. I don't care if you wear a wal-mart tanktop or a Prada tank, as long as you coordinate your outfit nicely. Some just be silly by paying for something they don't like but "it's Roxy so it's fine!".

Another symtom that pisses me off is sale! People just grab the sale and waste money on clothes they won't be able to wear! Have two coats and wear them both whole year around; or have 10 coats and only wear 1 of them once (after the sale-infatuation wears off, they start to realize these stuff don't look nice or appropriate anymore!); which one would you prefer?

Lastly, people spend money on stupid things. They can pay 80$ for a simple white tanktop which they will wear only once; but refuse to pay 150$ for a pair of COMFORTABLE boots and cheap out on a 50$ pair of hard, rough, pair of boots they cant walk in for even 1 hour. Seriously, I should write a book about shopping!!!

30. aLkeMiSt Curious

Brand names don't usually apply to me, once the clothes look good i'll buy.