1. chrolloseum
    Take your chances in The Chrolloseum!
    Opened September 29th through October 15th
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

time travel possible or not?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Temari_8, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Temari_8

is time travel really possible? the thought of going back in time is both interesting and terrifying at the same time

Tags:
  2. Gaara_81

[THREAD]56232[/THREAD]
    ^useful link ^^

3. Toadstule

The way I see it, time doesnt "truly" exist so therefore time travel would not be possible.

4. zoodlepuff

yeah, i think it is...
    well, i have heard that it is only actually possible to travel to the future if you travel REALLY REALLY fast. so i guess no one actually knows.
    but think about it, it could be. people could come back to the past. and you may think "well, why hasnt anyone come to our time yet?"....what would you do with someone who claimed to be from the future? lock them away in a mental institution.

5. Jef88

the thing we see as time is just a perseption of us aging and things moving.
    so everything is time travel as we walk in to the future.

6. Raistlin-sama

Yes it is very much possible, ever heard of a little theory by Albert Einstein, called The Theory of Relativity?

If you don't consider, going faster through time time-travelling, then you can always turn your attention towards wormholes...

7. TDM

Well, in seriousness, I'm gonna say no.

8. Gaara_81

im from the future and im not in a mental institution:oh.........oh my god thats why they locked me in this room!!! ahhhhhh!!!!

i say you can't travel through time.:wink

9. Stealth Tomato

Time travel (at least in a reverse direction) would never happen, as if it ever did, someone would travel back in time and do something that prevented time travel from being discovered.

10. cloin

I agree, the only way time travel can be feasible if it is progressing into the future. Back To the Future style time travel is just a fantasy.

11. mgrace

It's impossible how can dead people come alive again???? The past is in the past... live for today...

12. Sabaku no Ira

Very hard to say.

If the alternate universe theory is true, then it is very possible that the reason why no one from the future has arrived in this timeline is that whenever they arrive, the timeline shifts to an alternate universe.

13. cygnus

Nup. No way, it would be cool though.

Even though, theoretically, if you travelled faster than the speed of light you should be going faster than time because the whole point of time is that the faster you go, the slower time goes up to the speed of light. HOWEVER, only energy can go that fast because if matter gains that speed, it turns into energy anyway. It doesn't matter what kind of super metal you use as you craft, it will turn into energy and you will too. So, unless the people who proved that the speed of light was constant, which, by the way doesn't make logical sense, then it isn't possible to time travel. At least with our current knowledge of the dimensions.

14. Sabaku no Ira

No, actually, I was thinking about the theory where the fabric of space-time could be folded for wormholes to pass through. However, we don't know whether we can rip a hole in space-time yet.

15. Dark_wolf247

I believe that it can be possible. However, we do not yet have the technology to do so.

There were also theories that black holes may be used for time travel, and that black holes may also lead you to another dimension of reality, the fourth dimension. Things like black holes have had theories surrounding them for ages, ad we cannot yet get close enough to them to investigate their nature, and therefore, have no more information than from what we can gather from oservations. Things like the Bermuda Triangle and other "myths" are also led to be believed as a rip in "space" by some, a portal to the next dimension. However, a portal to the next dimension does not necessarilay mean time travel, even though understanding the transportation to another dimension may help us in our quests to find out how to time travel.

Unfortunately, to travel through a black hole, you would need unbelieveable technology to handle the pressure. Inside of a black hole it is like something foldin you over and over and over again. Or crushing you, whatever your viewpoint. So until we get some kind ofship that could handle not only th pressure, but could also travel that long to get to a black hole, we may be able to find out the "trick", so to say, of space-time travel.

Then again, there is said to be no way to return once you've gone through a black hole, but ah well, that is my theory for today. :)

16. DevilB0i

In a Ga-Zillionz years

17. Nemesis Moderator

Flag:
    Sokovia
    Or perhaps they have and changed history to be completely different from what it was meant to be and none of us seriously would actually have any knowledge we are living in a corrupt time line.

I mean how do we know that a Bill Gates from the future came to the past to change his life to make it alot better for him knowing that what he could do with computers would make him the richest man in the world. (Not saying he has just saying a what if)

18. cunning Kitsune

time travel??? no, Speed of light no, Aliens yes, have they visited us? No,
    sorry i dont have time to explain my time loop is almost here

19. Near

well to be honest I can tell you sending an particle or atom to the future is very possible because it has been done.

Wether they can send a human being in which is compromised with who knows how many atoms and have each atom re-appear in the EXACT order or position is something totally different, There is no way with our current technologies we could do that, technology like that would make us look like caveman.

20. JoshDB

It'll probably never happen. The consquences would suck.

Some hobo goes into the past and eats all the fruits of wisdom from the garden of eden. ;D

21. Dark_wolf247

Heh, that's an interesting concept, but I have to agree. The consequences for having a time machine and being able to change the future by returning to the past.,...it would be unbearable. There are so many things that could happen with the devolpment of time travel that it's impossible to guess whether or not humans, as fickle as we are, would be able to handle the massive responsiblity of being able to travel through space and time.

22. Nihonjin

You would end up pretty far from earth. :amuse

Anyway, no I don't think time travel is possible, traveling to the future? Sure, freeze yourself in, or do what ever is necessary to preserve yourself..and wake up 40 years later with the same body...Problem is, there is no going back, what happend..happend.

Time is something created by us humans, its not something you can alter or manipulate..so no, traveling backward in time....no, just no.

23. Shino's a Bad Man

maybe travel foward...but becuase u can't go faster than the speed of light and at the speed of light time is stopped (i believe thats somewhere around what the relativety theory says) then no travel back.

24. moondance

ok so there are arguments for yes and no...i have just one qestions for thous who belive that "going back in time" could be possible..
    so...for that to be possible we have to admit that time realy exist...and it`s not just our perception...so...in this very moment...our entire lives...and the entire history is repeting it self...how do u explain the paradox?
    p.s.:dnt know if u get what i mean

"Time is something created by us humans, its not something you can alter or manipulate"-hm......time is not our creation...is just our perception...like jef88 said

25. GayNinja

Who the hell knows. I would go back to time and try to stop all those wars and kill Hitler or something, that would defintely be better than keeping him alive. I don't really believe in "consequences" of time travel, unless someone really does something stupid like set off a nuke or something. Chaning time can't really be all that bad, for all we know, different outcomes can be beneficial. Oh and Nihonjin, time is not something created by humans, it is a physical property, a dimension all on its own. It can be sped up or slowed down dependin on the speed to which you are moving. Time is a real entity, not just an invention by humans. Ya but as for if it is actually possible, nobody can answer that. Unless there is a theoretical physicist here at NarutoForums, none of our theories are valid.

26. moondance

hey...history...it`s history...if we could go back and kill hitler(could be a good thing) but if hitler never existed,maybe an even wors dictator would have rised and his tirany would have done far worse dameges then hitler....but...this is one thing we will never know :D

27. Kaki

I think, or at least hope it will be, just becose it is neat....Imageine if the scientist got a note congradulating him from his machine, what if he did't put that note in the machine the next day?

28. Keramachi

Spoiler: The Granfather Paradox
    A man goes back in time and accidentally kills his grandfather. Thus he prevents his father's birth and subsequently his own. If that happened, then he could not have travelled back in time in the first place, not being alive. But if he never travelled back in time, then he would still be alive and therefore go back in time. See the cycle?
    Scientists came up with an "explanation" for this, stating that any actons that would prevent time travel are impossible during time travel. A rather weak argument, don't you think?

29. hesd

I think time travel is impossible. Travelling more than the speed of light either converts a matter into energy or requires a vehicle (a spacecraft?) whose makeup (external composition, shield and whatnots) can withstand air pressure or any other kind of resistance for that matter.
    The future, with Now as our reference, is nothing but a figment of our imagination. Actualizing that imagery without us acting is a different story.The past, relieving what has been Now, is more probable, but we can only say this far. The past and all of its material constituents have been atomically rearranged as we experience them today.

30. furious styles

No, impossible. The cosmic balance wouldn't allow such a mind numbingly powerful force as time travel to exist.