1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for writing

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Therahedwig, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Therahedwig

Uhm...I thought it might be nice to do write down some writing tips
    not only for fanfiction, but also for original fiction:

1. Setting

This is what you begin with, wether you like it or not.

When using an already existing universe, you are writting a fanfic(unless it's the real world), you won't have to consider to much, since you can find it all in the book/movie/game/whatever. What is adivisble is to join a forum where they discuss about the world.(so for naruto fans, first hang around a month at the theories forum) The people who discuss the possibility of a phenomenom in your canon's world, can provide you with almost limitless information and possebilities... though I can't assure you that you won't be spoiled the rest of the story...

When creating a new world, you will need to think well about stuff:
    What kind of world is it?
    Are there any gods?
    Are there any religions?
    What is so special about this world?
    how are it's inhabitans?
    And ofcourse, you'll need to think out the balance, since if dragons are imortal and uber powerful? what stops them from destroying the world?
    maybe they grow very slow, or they are pacifists...

2. Characters

Characters are the most difficult part of writing...

How to keep a character in character
    Well, first of all, you don't give a character some charactaristics and some personal habits and then you let him run of to the unknown...Because if you do this, you character will be a robot.

No you begin giving your characters goals and believes, and dreams and hopes.
    From whatever live philosofie you've gave them, you'll have to work out how they will react to things, and what their habit will be.

When writing fanfiction, you might consider to ask others for a psychological view on that character.

To give an example of all the above I will use sasuke.
    Since he's the most ooc written character I've seen.

-------------

Sasuke flat discription:
    A jerk that doesn't say a thing, get all the girls and is a bastard.
    He wants to kill his brother, and would sell his soul to the devil to accomplish this, he doesn't give a damn about naruto and sakura.

Sasuke better discription:
    Sasuke has seen an illusion of how his brother, who he admirred, killed his family. His brother told him that he's too weak and Itachi will only care for him when he is strong enough to beat itachi.
    He's not exactly waiting for all those girls to fawn over him, and is indeed prepared to sell his soul for power, thus also redemption. But he would never be able to sell his friends for that...
    Speaking of which, he tries to deny he likes his teammates, because he's scared that if Itachi would've found out, he would come by to kill them.(which almost happend)
    He considers Naruto his best friend, but does likes to pick on him a bit.(Which is very normal teenage behavior) an he does like sakura, and I'm positive his apreciation meter would go up, if she stopped fawning over him...

---------------

Now if you would take the flat discription, you will get a flat sasuke, however if you would take the better discription your sasuke will have some dept.

When creating a character you should not forget about the bad points of that chracter, don't make them to cliche, and don't give them any dissease that should be dangerous enough to put them up in a mental insitute, since otherwise you'll get a mary-sue.

Also, when letting your character think, make their thoughts a bit more various instead of:
    "Oh no, I'm in love"
    "Oh no, I can't do this"(aka wangst)
    "Oh no, I'm an uber outcast"(Nobody ever thinks that there are actually people who don't care what others think about them)

3. Spelling

A difficult one, spelling is very important, since if you want to atract a large audiance, you won't be using 1337 language, would you?

The most important thing you need to do is to check the story through WORD's spell check, to make sure the words you've written down, are actual words.

The next thing is to look at the grammar, and the words to look wether you've used the right word. for an example hear and here are confused a lot of times, others are:
    Their(car) They're(coming) There(it is)
    Where(is it) were(as in: we were walking)

You might also try to read your story alout, to fix some difficulties in a sentence.

And the last one is to get a beta tester, he or she can see the mistakes better and faster then you can. Since you're blind for your own mistakes.

another thing you have to worry about is the formating:
    if you don't use enough paragrpahs then the story might become unreadeble...

4. anything else

Well, you should be able to see the difference between a flame and constructive critisisme.

the main thing you should remember is that a flamer doesn't want to help you, a writer of a constructive critisism does.

Another thing is to make your authors note a short as possible, because people hate it to see that the authors note is taking up half a page...
    don't make the authors note longer than 2 paragraphs in all, and avoid muse talks...they can be annoying like hell, also try to put the an at the beginning and the end, avoid review replies, and make a good signal to show where the chapter begins and ends.

These were my tips(I'll add some more later)
    add some yourself if you like.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
    Tags:
  2. ErikKoekkoek

I agree with the above comics. I usually stand by it, as I'm still improving with every chapter I release.

My tips would be;

Don't force yourself on a set course. If an idea pops in your head just out of the blue, work it out, see if its worth something. If it's not, then no biggy, maybe you can use it later.

If you want to create an engaging story, take your time. Don't be too hasty.

You should take pride in what you write, and actually put in a bit of effort, it will show. Don't flood readers with crap that you're not really happy about or just that you'll have something out. Testing is all well and good, but if you just release stuff that you wouldn't even want to read, it'll reflect badly on yourself.

Find people like-minded and share ideas. I usually have a ball discussing my ideas with someone else. And usually more ideas spring forth from those conversations as well.

Leave the stuff you wrote for a day (a couple hours if you really are pressed for time) then look at your work again. You'll catch more errors and what not that way than you would if you would just stare at it constantly.

Stay true to characters. If you want to change their personality, make sure you've guided the readers through that change. It should not be out of the blue.

Well, that's it for now. Maybe I'll add something else later.

No wait, one last one, and this is the most important one. Have FUN!

3. Sesshoumaru

Here is a good tip for characters:

Canon characters of a series, no matter how you write them or how hard you try, will always be out of character since they are not following the original plot and/or settinsg set by the original author. But, they will be in character for your piece of fiction. When writing about canon character, take every aspect of their original personality, every little detail, then mold them to your liking in a way that fits your own timeline, your own plot, settings, etc.

Personally, I highly criticise authors that advertise that the character they use are in character or not OOC, which is a bunch of bull.

If you attempt to do an divergence/alternate universe:

A "divergence" story is a piece of fiction in which at a certain point in a series timeline, one single moment, no matter how insignificant it may seem at the time, will drastically effect many events in the future - hence, the Chaos Theory or Butterfly Effect.

Usually when one writes a divergence, the main character is usually the centerpiece of what causes and what results from this single moment in time. The divergence could be cause by anything.

For example: When Naruto is unconscious after summoning Gamabunta, he wakes up.... Konoha is being attacked. This in turn has him disqualified and he never gets to fight Neji and prove that he is not a drop-out. Shikamaru never gets pushed into the arena to fight Temari, hence he is not promoted to Chuunin. Because of the time frame of when Sasuke was suppose to fight Gaara, he is always disqualified. Neji has to fight Gaara and Temari has to fight Shino. When Sasuke shows up, he finds out he is disqualified and is made a laughing stock. The possibility of Konoha falling is higher because Naruto doesn't wake up in time to know what is going on. Sasuke is highly expect to die because of this along with many others, including Neji. Naruto never, figuratively speaking, opened Neji's eyes. Tragically, Rock Lee would of been assassinated in his sleep by Gaara in the hospital because Naruto never went to visit Chouji with Shikamaru.

That's a lot, huh?

A good example of an divergence - I will shamelessly advertise - this story about Uchiha Itachi called The Lazy Uchiha

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  4. Therahedwig

more writing tips here:

Link removed

next to that:
    When creating an idea, try to discuss with someone about that idea, another person can see better, wether you idea sucks/is cliche.(I for an example use my older sister, who also writes)This way, you can change or drop your idea before you become attached to it.

5. 200 IQ

Another writing tip - don't use crack pairings like TemaNaru or InoNaru. More reviews if you use pairings that every body likes.

6. Phosphorus

Nice. I didn't read through it all the way, but, my tips are:

1. Pay attention in english class (unless you're in a class like mine >>; We do nothing)
    2. Have a proof reader. They help, especially when they're uber smart.

here <-- Nice website.

7. Therahedwig

dude, these where supossed to be just writing tips...
    BTW a writer shouldn't care if anyone wants to review or not, since basicly what ff.net reviewers do is say that it's good...or bad...it shouldn't influence what you write...
    A writer that only writes what the people like is just as worse as all those american companies that translate anime and adapt it for kids, or those game companies that take good games(unreal, half-life, the older ffs), and clone them bad(any random shooter or rpg) so it'll might sell...

That's not creative, or selfstanding, so you're actually telling people to go with the mainstream, so brainless fanfiction readers will review their work some more, but they'll never stand out like that, and they will never challange their boundaries...

And you're telling them not to use their creativity, like any other reasonable writer, but to copy good writers...
    That's just plain stupid y'now...

8. Fairady

Hm, this is a pretty good thread. I've got just a few tips.

Outlines are your friends. I hate having to outline stuff but it really helps when you're writing something. Whenever I get stuck I jot out a new outline on what I've written and what I want to write. It usually helps with the block.

Also if you're absolutely stuck on something and can't write past that point just leave it alone for a few days. Go do something else and don't think about it or skip further ahead and write another scene. Sometimes it'll help.

Betas are necesary to life. It doesn't matter how many times you read through a fic, you will always miss something. If you're beta tells you everything is good and they see no problem with it you need to get a new beta. A good beta will take out a cheese grater and do things to your fic that would make Morono Ibiki flinch. Those betas are always worth their weight in gold.

9. Wrath

My tips are these:

If you're not a genius (and you're not) then plan things out and put a lot of effort into it. Winging it is fine sometimes, but you'll always end up with a better piece of work if you try hard.

Believe in yourself. If you know you have a good story then you have a duty to get it out as you feel it should be. Don't let your readers walk all over you.

Remember that readers aren't your fans. They don't owe you anything. Make sure that anyone who reads your work will be able to understand and tolerate it. If this means using spell checkers or proof readers or whatever then use them.

Writing something solely for yourself is masturbation plain and simple. Write what you want to, but always remember that you're writing for an audience.

10. less

It's perfectly normal, it doesn't hurt anyone, but please don't do it with an audience. Great tip.

I read a book by Stephen King called "On Writing". It's a beginners guide to writing, and, ironically, way better than most of his fiction. He has a few really hard-nosed pieces of advice on style that I try to adhere to at all times, and that I think many fanfic writers should take a look at. Two of my favourites include:

1: Kill the adverbs. King is fanatically opposed to the use of adverbs. He argues that in a well told story, how someone does something should be obvious from the context. Not always, but 95% of the time. This is especially true when it comes to verbs that already carries an adverbial indication; He slammed the door violently is, as we say in Norwegian, butter on fat.

2: When writing dialogue, try to mainly stick with "he said/she said", the less you use murmured/shouted/demanded/grumbled/bitched/yelled/cried/ghasped/proclaimed/whispered/etc the more effective these will be when finally used.

And a couple of my own(fanfic-specific):

3: Read your reviews carefully. Everybody reads their reviews, but sometimes it seemes that few put in the effort to actually take what they say to heart. I'm not talking about the "OMFG PLZ MMAKE IT A ITAKAKA fic!!!1!" ones, but the ones that are constructive, and long (the writers of long reviews are the real heroes of fanfic society).

4: Don't spoil the whole thing at the beginning. It happens way to often that I sit down to start on an epic Naruto-fic only to read something like "This is my version of what could have happened after the timeskip. The akatsuki plan on assasinating shizune to get Tsunade to act rash, and when they do, all hell breaks loose. Don't worry it all works out and Naruto finally becomes Hokage in the end. naru/hina, sasu/saku, ino/shika/chouji."
    Why would I want to read a suspense story if I know the end?

5: Describe the caracters hair and eyes BUT ONCE. Everyone knows Naruto is blond, and everyone knows sakura's eyes are of that creepy torquoise colour.

11. Wrath

Amen. Although it makes me feel bad because I rarely leave reviews myself, but when I get a long review I thank god. Reviews that just say "update soon" are okay, and they're gratifying and all but it's just not the same as when someone takes the time to really tell you what they think.

If you ask me, the best reviews are the ones which are complimentary but also point out mistakes or problems they have. There's nothing that helps more than honesty from your readers. If someone tells me what they don't like then I'm going to believe them more when they say what they do like.

12. Sabaku no Ira

Well, actually that depends. It would be a good idea to refer to Naruto as "the blonde" and Sakura as "the girl with torquoise eyes" rather than doing a "Naruto" or "Sakura" all the time or else the fic will get kind of boring. In fact, it is kind of a basic "rule" in writing fiction to diversify the ways something is described/refered to just to make the paragraph look more lively and not tedious to read. Or at least every writer whose works I've read does that.

13. Lackey_H

I've found a few tips too~

1 - Rest assured, after a while of near constant writing (2-3 months worth, sometimes longer) you *will* feel that your first stuff is crap. Believe me, you *WILL* feel that way. It's not that your work actually is bad, it's just that by then you tend to feel your writing has improved and after 2-3 months of writing you feel it's improved significantly. To that end you'll compare your original stuff (back when you had little idea what you were doing) to the stuff you're doing now that you have a better understanding. The trick is to ignore this feeling and just keep going~ (Besides, if you're that desperate you can always do some re-writing *AFTER* you've finished the fic.)

2 - Don't do the same old, same old. NaruSasu - fine. Highschool fic - iffy, but okay-ish. NaruSasu fic in a Highschool? DIE! JUST DIE AND GET OFF THE INTERNET! Don't just do the same as someone else 'cuz they got a lot of reviews, the number of reviews has absolutely no indication what-so-ever of how good the fic is. (I suspect half these OMG!!@1!one type reviews that flood some generic-crap-fics come from the same person anyway ) Do something you think is a fun idea, however weird it may be, don't do things because they seem 'popular'. Trust me, if you aren't having fun with it as a writer, then it'll suck - plain and simple as that.

3 - Respect those who have very good fics. XD RESPECT US! Someday we'll be ruling the world after all. But until then, most of the well-known authors aren't gonna send you running home with your tail between your legs if you hunt us down to ask a question or two. (well... er... we might get somewhat creeped out if you show up on our doorstep however). Man, i remember back when I sent an E-mail to Eimii (who wrote the first ever fic i read, Shattered Hearts on the Road, and then later went and wrote Suiren for the Naruto fandom) By then I was partway into Betrothal and woooOoooo~ you would not believe the boost I got when she said she'd read, and liked it. This was my fanfic GOD telling me she liked my work.
    So yeah, talk to people, ask 'em a few pointless questions, slyly present your fic idea, then hope they'll give suggestions to you. It helps sometimes.

And that's it. Mostly babbling, but something should help.

14. Aternox

Write. A lot.
    Read. A lot.

Write : Most of us are not geniuses. In fact, I'm pretty sure no one is a genius (in the fanfiction world). Acquiring a writing style is something that needs time and practice, you won't sprout clever stuff just by snapping your fingers.

A couples of years ago, when I was lurking in the IY fandom, there was that author, Rozefire, who was really having a roll. Everyone in the fandom knew her name and such. Her stories were nice, well build, humorous, and her characters, even if a bit OOC, were really convincing. A lot of people thought that she was a genius, being only 17 and writing stuff like that.
    But I knew her for a while, and I read some of her first fics, that she deleted when she became famous. One of it was a simple copy/paste from the script of the movie 'A life less ordinary', with the IY cast. (She carefully choose quite unknown movies). All her first fics were like that. She took the IY cast, mixed it up with a movie plot, and wrote it down.

It's not a bad thing at all. By doing so, she polished her writing style, and learned some nice techniques. But she was clearly not a genius. She had worked a lot to get to that success. What I mean is: there's no geniuses, only hard work.

Read : And please, not always the same thing. Good authors will influence your writing style. Read different stuff, ponder over it, try to think over the difference with your style and other people's style.
    Don't read only fanfics, it'll corrupt your mind after a while (only reading the same thing, only writing the same thing.) try to read authors who are a bit cynical, parodies and such (Terry Pratchett is a really good start)

When you like a book/fic, ask yourself why you liked it. You liked it because you were surprised by how the story unfolded? Then try to come up with interesting plot-twists too.

Diversity is the key. And well, everything already mentionned in this very good thread.

15. Kunoichi

This thread has helped a lot. I've read it and hopefully will abide by the rules. I was personally having a lot of trouble with trying to fit characters in a certain plot-- but once I read the first post and it explained about talking about the Naruto-verse here so your ideas fit seemed very plausible. This is a great thread! ^^

My tip echoes someone else's earlier. It would be to start an idea and not post it up straight away, it'll give your brain some time to get used to the idea. What may sound like a brilliant idea in the beginning could sound rather ridiculous later... like Neji finally discovering his feelings for Tenten one late evening because they are training. The OOCness also comes into place. Actually, before I start a fanfic, I think I'm going to write character bios (given what we have by Kishimoto-San) and try to stick to them.

Thanks for this thread. n_n

16. IQSymphic

Nice tips, nice tips...although what are the so called "original pairings"?

Naru/Hina, Shika/Ino, Sasu/Saku, etc. etc.? There overused, boring and quite frankly I think if you make pairings work then imo, they come out really nice. I did a Anko/Itachi pairing on one of my stories (they make a brief cameo but enough to set up a nice background).

Getting a beta reader (different ones) can be a nice balance as they can help critique and give ideas to the story where you never could imagine.

Don't worry about the amount of reviews. I prefer to get ones that are serious then short ones like "Update soon!" or "Nice chapter, hihi ^_^". Although it does seem nice to get a few reviews once in a while...

(Grumble mumble...)

Meh those are just a few things...

17. Sabaku no Ira

First you tell people not to read the same thing always, and then you go and tell them to read more parodies and such. Do I sense a contradiction there?

I would say that normally those who want to write well should diversify their reading. However, if they are writing a particular genre (romantics, fantasy, and so forth) during a particular time, it's not a bad idea that for that time read more books of the said genre (read LOTR when writing fantasy, etc) since it keeps your mind geared towards writing that genre and sometimes the books will give you relevant ideas and useful styles (yes, style can be part of a technique, and different style is better for different genre and theme).

18. Wrath

Only if you want an example of what not to do, yeuch. LotR is a terrible example of writing, and though I respect the amount of work that went into the world building I absolutely detest the writing itself.

The characters are poorly defined, the pacing is horrendous, Tolkein had a tendancy to wax lyrical for pages at a time about minor details such as what a tree looked like... and interrupting the prose every page with a song is just a bad idea.

19. Sabaku no Ira

Well, that was just an example to illustrate. I personally find his work quite nice. The plot was excellent and the descriptions are detailed (I think you do need a bit of detailed description to get the "feel" of a fantasy world). But then Tolkien did have a bit of a problem with his characters...

For best characterization in fantasy genre Ed Greenwood so far has my vote (though his novels has a tendency to... well, have scenes that involve a beautiful female character losing her clothes). Narnia series was good, though a bit too geared towards a younger (very much) generation...

20. FanB0y

Here's a simple tip:

Write everything that comes to your mind. Dont think, just write! Everything doesn't have to make sense the first time, it's just a draft after all. After you've finished your draft, then you make sense of out everything you've written.

21. Aternox

Well, I don't think there's a contradiction, if there's one , it's because of my bad Engrish, and I apolozige about it.
    What I mean is : by reading parodies, you can witness a really unusual way of writing, and/or understand what's wrong with the more traditional genres.

I didn't mean "read only parodies". That was just and exemple of diversification.

22. Sabaku no Ira

I see.

Another thing: when creating characters, be consistent. If a character is supposed to be a humble character, don't make his/her dream be "I want everyone to know how good I am" or "I want everyone to know me!" because a humble person does not do that. A character with a non-traditional characteristic to his/her class is good (like how Naruto is a noisy/loud ninja when a ninja's supposed to be stealthy), but a character that doesn't act like s/he's described is retarded.

Hence this is why it's a good idea not to describe a character's personality outright at all. Jane Austin is particularly clever at this (she can tell you that a character is arrogant and then make him/her behave as such) but I don't think a lot of us here are that good. Also, there's also the issue of how readers read into a character's action. So instead of going "Such and such is an arrogant man" go " 'I can take on everyone!' he thought to himself."

23. IQSymphic

Basically to avoid creating Mary Sues unless you keep them at character and without the inevitable story becoming destroyed or centered around that character?

24. Sabaku no Ira

If you can pull that one off, yes.

Actually, the term "Mary Sue" sometimes gets a bit too abused IMO. I mean, I've seen some people who regard every single OC as Mary Sue... :blink

25. TheVileOne

Avoiding the stupid and non-sensical yaoi pairings would be the best tip I can think of.

Seriously ladies...it ain't happening.

26. Therahedwig

And again, that ain't a writing tip...(every fandom has silly pairings, and yaoi parings, it's a part of a fandom these days...)

What would be a writing tip, is saying that you just can't put some characters together within 3 chapters, sometimes you need to take a very long time with some couples, especially when they hate eachother(example: NaruTayu because there's hate from both sides, esspecially from Naruto's side, because Tayuta is one of the nins that took Sasuke away...)

Some people are just more compatible then others...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  27. TheVileOne

I think its a good tip because we've way too many yaoi pairings :p .

Something else I'd like to say, if you are going to have Naruto and Kyuubi be friends...at least build up to it. Kyuubi can't just suddenly like Naruto, because he doesn't. He hates Naruto and wants to eat him. The only reason he helps Naruto is so he won't die. So to have them suddenly be friends or have Kyuubi really want to help Naruto it would have to be convincing or built up to as such.

28. Aternox

bump for truth.
    Yes, Kyuubi is kind of cool, and having him side and team up with Naruto would be great, and the Naru/kyuu relationship is REALLY interesting, i mean, there's so much to work on, it's a gold mine to every writer.

BUT.

You can't have a nice Kyuubi with just a snap of your fingers. Yes, there's surely a reason why he attacked the village, and maybe the 4th isn't that clean about it... BUT, you can't have Kyuubi being all nice and comprehensive. Even if he was not that bad to begin with, I think that 16 years sealed in someone's body may somehow alter his mood.

And he destroyed half of Konoha.

He is NOT a puppy, nor a nice, friendly teacher/father figure/ demented tutor. (Kishimoto already created a father figure for Naruto, and he named it Jiraiya.

29. Therahedwig

Kishimoto made more then one fatherfigure for Naruto...(Iruka, this was stated in canon: "I think being with Iruka is what it feel like to be with a father")

Yeah, I also would like to see a good written kyuubi...
    Because I never saw the relation well denveloped, I think Kyuubi, even after becoming semi-friends with Naruto, would still have his demonic characteristics, so to a normal person, he still would be some sort of a bully to Naruto, but still a lot of people write him a lovly-dovly after becoming friends.
    It's a DEMON people, a DEMON!

30. TheVileOne

Yes. And not just that a demon that's probably centuries or even millenia years old. I doubt 16 years in Naruto's body would change him THAT much.

To me, despite what Naruto said, Iruka seems more like a nice older, big brother to me than a father for Naruto. Naruto respects and loves him. With Jiraiya, it feels more like a father/son thing since Naruto obviously has a healthy amount of disrespect for Jiraiya and acts like a rebellious teen around him.