1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Togashi has created the longest chapters in manga history

Discussion in 'Hunter x Hunter' started by Keishin, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Keishin

Contrary to what people think it's not just about the text.. It's about the multilayered events and complex characters... This latest chapter 389 is just insane. I don't think people pay enough attention to realize just how impressive Togashi is when he's putting work in.
    HxH is something that monthly mangaka should analyze when they want to pace events in their story although they will never reach Togashis level of raw genius and understanding of their story, plot and characters but we could be seeing a new and better era of manga in their quality of writing. The first arc of Promised Neverland was kind of trying going there, so that's an example case.
    :wellshite

Tags:
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Skilatry

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand HunterXHunter. The theming is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of Nen’s mechanics, most of the fights will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Gon’s unique outlook on morality, which is deftly woven into his characterization - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Machiavelli's The Prince, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these characters and battles, to realize that they’re not just epic or cool- they say something deep about LIFE in this rich, vibrant world Togashi has created. As a consequence people who dislike HunterXHunter truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the subtlety and drama in Killua overcoming his own hesitation and growing as a character by ripping his brother’s controlling needle out of his head, which itself is a brilliant parallel to the writings of Takuhan Soho. I’m smirking right now, just imagining one of those blockheaded neckbeards scratching their heads in confusion as Togashi’s genius unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools… how I pity them.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  3. B Rabbit

You don't need high IQ to understand HxH. You just have to read it and and actually pay attention.

Something most fans don't do. HxH is not over complex. The majority of you guys just haven't read a book in a while!

4. Yasha

Flag:
    Japan

I think the main issue is the translation. HxH is difficult to translate not only because of the amount of text but the more advanced vocabulary Togashi likes to use. So there are a bunch of translation errors that confuse people. I had come many instances where I just couldn't understand what the English scans mean but it became crystal clear once I read the Chinese scans.

5. ZE

Togashi would be a legend if he managed to make us recognize all of the bodyguards just by seeing
    their faces while at the same time making us learn their names without the need to go out of our way to try to memorize them. You'd be so invested in the story and in the characters that without knowing you'd know all of their names instantly. But I doubt even Togashi can accomplished this.

6. Skilatry

I hope you didn't actually take my post seriously, its a fucking Rick and Morty copypasta.

7. B Rabbit

I don't care either way. People legit believe that HxH is a masterpiece of writing fiction.

8. Skilatry

You're telling me Hantā Hantā isn't better than War and Peace?

9. Keishin

it's not their names that matter its who they actually r, where their loyalty lies. togashi is a genius, we know this, instead of making bunch of fodders he creates armies of individuals, so we pay attention to the army by understanding their different types of actions for the ones they've swore loyalty to, not the individuals. We understand what these individuals are like by understanding the entire picture this latest chp is the same. it doesnt mean you have to learn the name of those 15 new characters introduced at the end, what they are, are individuals working under Camilla for their shared goals. Be it mafias, the hunter association, the navy, princes, king, phantom troupe.. they all have their individual groups that work differently.

10. Intus Legere

It took me 20 minutes to read the last chapter, and I finished it not understanding everything.

I still think something is odd about Shikaku's-Sumidori's suicide, but who knows.

11. Keishin

12. tonpa

Yea. This arc needs to be animated. then everyone would appreciate it. This is probably going to be his best defining arc of hunter x hunter.

13. perman07

Just read 40 chapters these last two days.

Reading this thread reassures me I'm not the only one who gets confused by HxH. I like complexity as much as the the next nerd, but understanding HxH fully sometimes strays too much into work for me to be bothered. I wish Togashi had more empathy for average working memory. There are many sections I just read/skim through rather than skipping back to understand why a body guard is thinking/saying/doing something.

14. Keishin

15. Walterb

It is. Togashi is a storytelling genius. The level of complexity involved in the stories is amazing.

16. snakeeater

17. goombanthime

Flag:
    Canada
    If he had better art, about three time as many chapter so to not fill the chapter with exposition and a more consistant schedule. I might understand the gist of it

18. Keishin

This post is nonsense. Togashi is hailed as the best for a reason, not because of some nonsense like "well he shud b putting off chapters like other wsj authors"
    HxH moving on to 400's will be celebrated next year let me tell you that.

19. perman07

This post is nonsense. People aren't under an obligation to work to understand HxH fully. At the end of the day it's entertainment. If Togashi chooses to create something so complex his more lazy/stupid readers won't be able to appreciate it fully without rereading sections and chapters to fully get it, some whining from those people (partially including me) is just the natural consequence of that.

I personally find it a bit ridiculous how many moving pieces I have to process to fully appreciate this arc (many of them new body guards who have been briefly introduced), and while I have some admiration for the dedication and/or cognitive abilities among those of you who fully get it, I am also getting annoyed by the elitism of those of you who look down on those of us who aren't fully willing to do the same. We're not obligated to work to be entertained.

Togashi being the best shonen author is not some canon fact, it's an opinion shared by a subset of his readers who aren't in the norm with how much work they are willing to put in to appreciate their manga.

People are different, art's perception will always be subjective, and we should all accept our differences without looking down on people who consume manga differently than ourselves.

20. Keishin

Theres this thing called a target audience
    Togashi writes this for the ones he wants to stick with it lol not black clover fans. he clearly doesnt appreci8 the current state of jump with all the garbage manga running in it.

21. goombanthime

Flag:
    Canada

22. Extravlad

Flag:
    France
    Togashi is holding back HxH from true greatness
    He is letting his selfishness ruin his work.

It's a decade too late now but he should have brought another Mangaka in to do the drawing while he just writes the story, we would've gotten way way more chapters by now had he done so.

I don't think a vast majority of HxH fans follow his manga because of art.

23. perman07

So only his biggest fan boys are his target audience? There are plenty of us who enjoy HxH without finding it to be some perfect masterpiece.

I honestly respect things which can be deemed in the realm of "acquired taste", which I think is typical of art that requires some effort to fully appreciate. If you go too far down the axis of complexity however, you will partially or fully turn off even fans who like complexity, because we all have different thresholds of optimal complexity.

24. Keishin

it has nothin to do with being a fanboy or not its about spending more time understanding the story than talking about how impossible it is to understand
    Unlike others HxH is not made to insult the readers intelligence which is what many like it for. The impressive way of multilayer writing in it is similar to one of those japanese games (think gyakuten kenji 2 or spirit of justice) which is why HxH volumes sells like hot cake.