1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Tom Waits

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by mow, Jul 16, 2005.

1. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

One of the records I found while sorting my cds. I intend to make a thread for all those awesome records I found, since I personally think they are all masterpieces. Already did Q-Tip - Kamaal The Abstract, time for Tom Waits :amuse

Tom Waits is one of those voices in music that are instantly identifiable. His raspy vocals are almost painful at times, and his albums are not for the faint of heart. If you are in the mood for a soft, sensual pop album, you are in the wrong thread.

Waits' grew up in Southern California, and was discovered and signed by Frank Zappa manager Herb Cohen in the early 70s. Waits' 70s material consisted of lyrics depicting a desperate, lowlife lifestyle, and his real life persona very much mirrored his music. Waits' formal debut came in 1973 with his release of Closing Time which contained the song "Ol' 55", a song later covered by the Eagles.

Over the next several years, he released new material just about every year with 1974s The Heart of Saturday Night, 1975s live album (and one of my favorites) Nighthawks at the Diner, 1976s Small Change, 1977s Foreign Affairs, 1978s Blue Valentine, and 1980s Heartattack and Vine. By the late 70s and early 80s, Waits' had built up a pretty significant catalogue of music.

In the late 70s, Waits launched a parallel career as an actor and composer of film music. He wrote songs for and appeared in the film Paradise Alley, and wrote the music for Francis Coppola's One From the Heart which earned him an Academy Award nomination.

In 1983 Waits released his first full album in 3 years with Swordfishtrombones, and he had found a new style of music, implementing horns and percussion to go along with an unusual recording technique. The same year he appeared in several films, including Coppola's The Outsiders. Rain Dogs was released in 1985, and continued the style that started with Swordfishtrombones. Since Rain Dogs Waits has appeared in many movies, and has released 10 more albums including film scores. His most recent release is 2004s Real Gone.

On the album Rain Dogs, Waits incorporates a wide range of sounds including marimba, accordion, and various other percussions that are not usually heard in popular music. This album is very much a followup to Swordfishtrombones. The style is similar, but there is a major edition, Marc Ribot's electric guitar leads. This album is not near as focused as his previous albums, and it is that artistic freedom that allows this to shine.

Waits is able to effectively mix his experimental songs that bring back his roots with several amazingly catchy pop songs, most notably "Downtown Train", "Hang Down Your Head", and "Time". This album contains the best individual songs by Waits, although as a whole it is not his best work. In any case, it didn't have the shock value for his style change that Swordfishtrombones did.

In my past experience discussing Tom Waits with fmates, it seems that if there is one sticking point when it comes to him, it is the grity, raspy vocals. It seems that there is no in between, either you love them or you hate them. I for one love them, and think they add so much emotion and make the music "real". This is a near flawless album.

Uploading the album for those interested.

Tags:
  2. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

jkingler = those interested :amuse

*drives away to the movies*

3. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

I fucking adore Waits' voice.

It brings to mind images of the booze soaked scenes in seedy bars and seedy people.

:D

4. akuma no omoigakenai saku El Chupacabra

I've never really heard Tom Waits before, but I think I saw him on an old SNL 2 nights ago, from back when the cast were called the not ready for primetime players. We was playing a piano and singing in a really rough, almost croaky old blues (or at least I think that's defined as blues) style.

Is that the right person?

Crazy voice and really moody, weathered-sounding music.

5. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Yes. That is Tom Waits.

Harsh gruff voice, really mood heavy blues mixed with hints of rock and roll :)

6. kapsi Banned

I only know Waits from a polish cover album but I may check the originals.

7. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Waits is brilliance.

Pure Brilliance.

Soo moody and powerful, yet self-deprecating.

8. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Bump for Waits!

Since my mates and I will be performing some covers for Tom Waits (it's a Tom Waits tribute Night in one of the clubs here) I though it will be good if I upload some Tom Waits for you all :smile-big

@ the pre-existing Tom Waits fanatics; we'll be playing:-

16 Shells From A Thirty-ought-six
    Gin Soaked Boy
    Hoist That Rag
    Hang Down Your Head
    Downtown Train
    Midnight Lullaby
    Down, Down, Down

(and if we have time; Town With No Cheer)

Solid set?

9. Nybarius Ennui Bores Me

Tom Waits was the guy who got me really interested in music. My parents, perversely enough, actively discouraged me from taking up any musical pursuits, so as not to upset my little sister (who is terrified whenever anything I do seems to hint at my compteting with her -- or was at the time). But one day, I found the cd to "The Dark Rider," and pretty soon was dancing beneath an Olympian thunderstorm while rasping along to "Gospel Train".

That's also what introduced me to William S Burroughs, but that's another topic.

"Raindogs" remains my favorite Tom Waits album. The instrumentation is off the wall, but not quite so far gone as Bone Machine and some later albums; it's a good compromise between, say, "Foreign Affairs" and "Bone Machine," really.

The turns of phrase are supple, the obsession with shoes is in full effect, and the MOOD is perfect.I've seen a whole car brought nigh to tears simply due to "Time" being played after a touchy conversation. The song that came after it (on my mixtape)? Ruby's Arms. Sob-city.

<3 Tom Waits!

EDIT FOR TRIVIA: Tom Waits is a huge Robert Mitchum fan. In fact, he, Nick Cave, and Shane McGowan / Leonard Cohen / someone else I forget formed a Robert Mitchum fanclub. His favorite Mitchum movie: "Night of the Hunter".

(Thank you, Tom Waits interviews compilation ;))

Also: I have a pretty damn good Tom Waits impersonation. Perhaps I'll make an embarrassing phone-post on my LJ from my cellphone at one of my best buddy's birthday party, which I'm even now all shaved, showered, and prepped for.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  10. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Omg it was so freaking awesome. A jam packed house screaming, singing and dancing along with us to Tom Waits tunes like Down, Down, Down; 16 Shells From A Thirty-ought-six and Gin soaked Boy etc. It rocked, and everyone had such a blast XD. We were the second act to go on stage, and we didnt think there will be much people for the first 10 or so acts (the thing starts at 12 and ends at 9, something like 20-25 cover bands are playing), but loand behold, the place was full from the start! (TomWaitstards > any tards XD). and they were yelling encore for us! It was brilliant. We played Down, Down, Down 4 damn times cause everyone loved the bass and keys and were jamming to it :smile-big (and I didnt screw up the bass! huzzah for me XD). And we met a couple of people who saw in our first gig ages ago, seems like we have fans :laugh

Awesome, awesome, awwweeeeeeeeeeeesome day1! Second best day in my life after meeting Sam Beam XD :occa :occa :occa

11. Efraim Longstocking Indeed

I am a Waits-noob so to speak... Heard just a copule of songs. I read about his latest album. I remember where I heard about him for the first time. It was mentioned that Mr. Bungle borrowed some percussion instruments from him and that Trevor Dunn had the chance to play on tour with him but denied.

12. Nybarius Ennui Bores Me

Down Down Down is a great song, I think it goes well with Gospel Train -- what do you think about Waits' live album (and the movie)? One of my faves.

13. acidzerox On a mission from God...

Moe, I'm new here but you my friend have teh greatest taste in music. Tom Waits is a wonderul singer/songwritter. I love Raindogs. Mule Variations ruled as well. His voice rips right into you. His songs are scary and beautiful at the same time. I mean look at my avatar....he's strange and brilliant.

14. o0oEnderIlleso0o The Lungs of the Ocean

Tom Waits is in the top ten male artists of the 20th Century. Hands down.

15. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Tom Waits is an entire world of music unto himself.

I will see him live, if I have to cross countries to do so.

16. acidzerox On a mission from God...

Amen Catatonik, I'd sell my self to see that man play live. I've heard it's very theatrical and fun, sometimes creepy, but fun.

17. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Downright absurdly weird, and that'w why I WILL go :)

18. Pinkaugust I'm Hired

intrested, send me the link moe-by! :D Don't make me pm you!! I know you on tha hurrbz.. :wink