1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 Most Important Moments in Naruto (spoilers)

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by Spectrum, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Spectrum

I seem to have a thing for counting down random stuff. Sorry if it gets old. :p

Well, Naruto has a pretty rich storyline. Not the greatest ever, I won't dispute--but still, it's pretty good. In between all of the action and humor, there's a lot of plot development going on, and it's good, epic stuff. Maybe a little clich?d (or, ok, a lot clich?d) at times, but hey, we're all hooked on it nonetheless.

So, I was thinking about the grand, overall scheme of things in the Narutoverse lately, and on a whim, I decided to come up with my own list of the most important, most influential events in the Naruto series. Not necessarily the biggest--that could be another list entirely--but the most significant. The stuff that changed everything. The stuff that led to the stuff that legends are made of. Or in this case, a really addictive anime/manga series.

The list is part one (plus Gaiden) only, since part two hasn't progressed enough to start picking and choosing things from there. I also only chose things that we've actually seen take place in the series; otherwise there'd be a bunch of boring entries like, "so-and-so is born", etc. And I'm going to post them one at a time, so in between, feel free to comment (I have a feeling there'll be a lot of disagreement with some of my choices/rankings), post your own choices if you wish, and so forth. There's really no point to any of this; I'm just doing it because it's fun. :p

The Top 10 Most Important Moments in Naruto

10. Naruto meets Jiraiya
    "I'm holding you responsible for ruining my training!"

Told you not all the moments were going to be big. :wink But this event was still huge in its own ways. First of all, it marked the introduction of Jiraiya, who would obviously become a very important character in the future. More importantly, though, meeting Jiraiya has had an extensive impact on Naruto (and consequently, many other characters).

If they hadn't run into each other, Orochimaru's seal would have continued to wreak havoc on Naruto's chakra system, which would have greatly affected Naruto's performance during the chuunin finals and afterward. What's more, if Naruto hadn't learned Kuchiyose no Jutsu prior to his bout with Gaara, the fight would have gone very differently. Quite likely he wouldn't have won, and Sakura (and possibly Sasuke as well) would have been killed. Then there's the effect on Gaara to consider as well. If Naruto hadn't beaten him, his life would have turned out completely different, as manga readers well know.

And the butterfly effect continues. Tsunade might not have become the Fifth if both Naruto and Jiraiya hadn't gone on that mission to find and convince her. In turn, she wouldn't have been there to heal Neji and Chouji after their ill-fated rescue attempt. (Of course, she woudn't have been there to order them out in the first place, so... hmm.) Finally, Jiraiya's relationship with Naruto became key after said rescue attempt went bad, when he decided to train him for the next three years. Post-timeskip Naruto would have turned out completely different if he hadn't.

So yeah, definitely lots of ka at work in that meeting. Anyway, so that's number ten. The rest of the list will be posted piece-by-piece; here it is so far:

Spoiler: The List
    10. Naruto meets Jiraiya
    9. Orochimaru meets Team 7 in the Forest of Death
    8. Death of Obito
    7. Itachi's return
    6. Death of Sarutobi

5. 'Death' of Sasuke

Tags:
  2. Shadow

9. Sasuke Goes To Orochimaru
    8. Jiraiya Goes back to the Village to help Konoha
    7. Hyuuga changes their ways and train Neiji
    6. Rock Lee recovers from Surgery
    5. Sakura gets trained by Tsunade
    4. We Learn the story of Kakashi's Sharingan
    3. Naruto Learns about Kyuubi being inside him
    2. Naruto learns Rasengan
    1. Naruto has a secret new jutsu that has yet to be seen

3. Insipidipity

wow you have horrible priorities. How is rock lee recovering even all that important? Learning Rasengan and especially some new jutsu really isn't that important. Somewhere in the top 5 is the invasion...Then theres the 4th putting in the Kyubi(#1 definitely), Itachi killing his family, Jiraiya meeting Naruto, the meeting with Haku(first real opponent), Oro gives Sasuke the Cursed Seal, Tsunade becomes Hokage(has to be one of the top 5 as well), Shikamaru becomes a Chuunin, Naruto gains the ability to start using the Kyubi consciously, and finally, Sakura, Naruto, and Sasuke are put together to make Team 7. Order them however you like.

4. lucky

lol isn't it his opinion? :xp

5. iaido

But isn't it Insipidity's opinion that Shadow's opinion sucks?

6. Malthara

1. Shodai + Random Shinobi found konoha/fight Shodai wins and Nidaime inherits his will. [Valley of the end statue guy is said to have founded the village with shodaime according to kakashi when he's at the statues but everywhere else only shodaime and nidaime are mentioned]
    2. Sandaime gains title God of all shinobi/passes legacy to Yondaime
    3. Sandaime trains Sannins
    4. Oro goes evil
    5. Yondaime seals Kyuubi
    6. Konoha is attacked by Orochimaru
    7. Godaime hokage elected, sannin Tsunade
    8. Sasuke leaves konoha for orochimaru's place
    9. Akatsuki Arc.
    10. Debates occur on every detail dealing with the naruto manga on NarutoFan Forums.

Frankly I dont think naruto's done anything narutoverse altering just yet. He learned a jutsu from jiraiya big woop, he learned kagebunshin from a forbidden scroll.. then gave it right back big deal nothing konoha altering there he doesn't make it on to my top 10 list.

7. Insipidipity

I thought they meant moments that take place DURING the course of the anime. The only reason I put Kyubi put inside is because they narrate that in the first scene so it counts as during the anime.:)
    And Itachi killing the clan takes place in Mangkyo Sharingan world.
    opinions and morals are all based on priorities. He prioritizes the learning of 2 jutsus over the fundamental premises of the story

8. lucky

reply not negatively directed to insipidity:

is the thread on your top ten most important moments or is it on how crappy everyone else's top ten moments?

anwyays... back on topic before spectrum castrates me.

1) iruka acknowledging naruto
    2) naruto acknowledged by sasuke during chuunin 'xams

And tha'ts all i ahve for hte moment.

9. Shadow

Dont worry about my top ten. Worry about yours. I like mine, where is yours? *looks around* nope cant find it......so STFU buddy.

10. Sawako

This is important because is shows people, that in the series, important people can die. Plus it makes Tsunade Hokage which means that Neji and Chouji are alive!

...that just popped at the top of my head.

11. Lord Of Reapers

The No. 1 thing is when Naruto first released Kyuubi

12. Cholisose

Interesting topic, Spectrum. Good choice for #10 - Naruto was very lucky to get training by Jiraiya. He improved dramatically while in his study for a rather short time.

Can't wait to see what you put for the next nine moments.

13. Twizted

:laugh :laugh :laugh Exactly.

14. Spectrum

Hmm, I had intended for this topic to be non-spoiler, but right away I can see that that's not really going to work. Oh well, I added a disclaimer to the title, so that's covered. :p

Interesting lists posted so far... some of them echo mine quite a bit. Malthara's is pretty good, except that as I mentioned, I don't personally plan on listing anything that hasn't been shown in the series (well, with the exception of one thing that really can't be overlooked), so I'm not including stuff like the founding of Konoha, etc. Also, while Naruto may not have actually changed the world yet, the series is based around him, so everything that happens to him is pretty much central to it. That's why he and Sasuke (who also has an undeniable influence on the course of the series) are at the center of pretty much all of my picks. I'm basing them more on what affects the series most, not necessarily the world that the series takes place in.

(Plus at any rate, these characters probably will change the world soon enough. :wink)

Anyway, I guess I'll post number nine in a little bit... I have no set plan for how long I'm going to drag this out. Pretty much making it up as I go. :p

15. Insipidipity

Naruto creates his nindo is kinda important I guess...for him anyways.

16. Twizted

Anyhoo, for my number one, I would have to say either the sealing of Kyuubi, or the murder of the Uchiha clan. Then my third would be the assembly of team 7. If those four people didn't end up together, this would be an entirely different show.

BTW Spectrum, I love the Google sig :laugh :laugh

17. Yukimura

Sasuke wouldn't be half as strong as he is now if that didn't occur

18. Jack Frost

Not too sure about that. He certainly wouldn't be as emotionally scarred/unbalanced if Itachi hadn't have killed the entire clan.

One could argue that he would continue to improve inorder to match the standard his brother set. He might have even improved even faster under the combined tutelage of his father and Itachi in addition to Kakashi. They would've both been able to teach him far more about the Sharingan than Kakashi could've alone.
    Also assuming that what Kakashi said about the "Cursed Seal" is true. He'd probably be better off, at least in the long run.

As for the most important moments; one of them is definitely "The Formation of Team 7".
    The fateful day that brought Sasuke, Sakura, Naruto, and Kakashi together to form an 'unbreakable' bond of friendship. They've had such a profound effect on one another; they certainly wouldn't be the same people, had they never been in the same team.

19. Mizura

Note: I'm listing events by how important they are to the story, not to the Naruto world (I don't Quite want to nit-pick on things such as "Creation of Konoha village etc")

10. Sakura becomes Tsunade's apprentice, completing the Legendary Sannin analogy.
    9. Itachi beats up Sasuke: as fodder for 3.
    8. Haku's death: Naruto's first witnessed death, he realizes what it means to be shinobi and decides he wants to change all that. He could have learned this from the other events he went through though.
    7. Tsunade becomes Hokage: well... she heals up a bunch of people, that's more or less significant. While her becoming Hokage is very important to the village, to the story itself I don't find the moment that significant. If she had just returned as a medic nin for example, it wouldn't have changed much for Naruto.
    6. Naruto beats up Gaara: while not central to the story, a lot is developped from here, and Naruto meets a kindred spirit.
    5. Orochimaru shows up: it's central to the plot: he leaves the curse seal on Sasuke, he is the mastermind of the Sound/Sand attack on the Leaf, etc...
    4. Jiraiya showing up: without this moment, Naruto would still have his Kyuubi chakra sealed, and would never have received training from him.
    3. Sasuke leaves for Orochimaru. Well... because. Actually, Naruto would have gone to train even without Sasuke leaving, since he has Akatsuki on his back, but it's still a major event.
    2. Naruto talks with Haku: he realizes what it truly means to be strong: to protect someone precious.
    1. Iruka saves Naruto: at that moment Naruto truly has someone to protect. The rest of the series go from there. Naruto also learns about Kyuubi here, which is a plus.

20. Spectrum

Heh, you guys are echoing my thoughts, pretty much. I have a feeling my top five won't surprise too many people.

Glad you like the sig, Twizted; got inspired by unimatrixzer0's "Sasuke is gay" one. :wink Anyway, moving on... Mizura's number 5 is my number 9. :amuse

9. Orochimaru meets Team 7 in the Forest of Death
    "I gave him a going-away present. Sasuke-kun will definitely seek me... to seek power."

Those crazy, crazy Sannin. Well, if Jiraiya's introduction made it to the list, you can bet that Orochimaru's would be just as important. I rank it here because Oro is one of the main villains of the series, and his entrance marked the point where, in my opinion, the story really got going. Of course, his future plans for the chuunin exam will have a huge impact on the storyline later on, when he attacks Konoha and kills Sandaime. Even more crucial to the story, though, is the impact he will have on Sasuke.

Sasuke getting the curse seal was a huge turning point in his character development; it was pretty much a downhill trip into darkness from there on out. If not for Orochimaru's little parting gift, Sasuke would not have eventually left the village. Nor would he have been successful in any such attempt, considering the role it played during his fight against Naruto, allowing him to match the power Naruto received from Kyuubi. It's also affected the outcome of other fights, particularly his fight with Gaara in the forest. If Sasuke hadn't had the curse seal then, for all we know the third Chidori attempt could have killed him, and that would have cut a lot of future plot developments short real fast. :wink

As I said in my post above, the reason this pick and most of my others center around either Sasuke or Naruto is because the story centers around them. It is their story. And what happens to them tends to have a ripple effect that directly or indirectly influences the lives of the other characters. It wouldn't be the same series without either one. Hence, the introduction of the curse seal, which leads to Sasuke's angst, which leads to him leaving Konoha, which leads to... well, the entire second half of the series, ranks number nine.

21. sik4rilz

mizura has the best list i think.i agree...lol

22. G. Hawke

Format is:
    Event/Reason

10. Tsunade returns/ Chouji & Neji live to fight another day.......oh fuck it! It is important because she Hawt! Boobies!:nosebleed (i AM a pervert, so sue me.)
    09. The invasion/Sarutobi's death
    08. Sasuke "dying"/The first emergence of Kyubbi
    07. Formation of team 7/Naruto offically a ninja
    06. Oro's arrival/The first emergence of an actual long term villian and threat.
    05. Rock Lee vs Gaara/Still by far in my opinion the best showing of what a shinobi is capable of battle wise in the series.
    04. Ero-Senin arrival/View Spectrum's first post
    03. The return of Itachi/Spectrum puts Sasuke's treason down to Oro, but i disagree. Actually Sasuke was doing pretty fine but then Itachi fucked him over, things REALLY went down hill. Sorry Spectrum-Sama. :crying
    02. THE FIGHT/ For the range of emotions it brought in to play. Brotherhood lost, Frienship broken, betrayal wrought and hopefully redemption ahead. The drama!
    01. Iruka giving his headband to Naruto/I dont really know how to explain it but when Iruka when saying that Naruto is a shinobi of the the leaf and later gave him his headband it still remains the only time i allowed myself to cry, so i consider it important.

Well that is my take.
    Cheers. :beer

23. Sariachan

My top 10 most important moments...or better my top 11, since I think there are 11 key passages in the story (only considering the pre time-skip series); my list has some similarities with Mizura's ;) :

11) Naruto beats Neji during the Chuunin exam (this changed many things imho, must of all the relationship between Neji and the main Yuuga family, but the consideration for Naruto among Konoha people grew too)
    10) Obito's death ---> changment of one of the main character in the cast: Kakashi ^^
    9) Sasuke leaves Konoha ---> Sakura become's Tsunade apprentiece (sp?)
    8) Naruto wins the bet with Tsunade ---> Tsunade accepts to become the Godaime Hokage
    7) Orochimaru kills Sandaime Kazekage ---> betrayal then new allience from the Wind Country
    6) Orochimaru gives Sasuke the cursed seal ---> Sasuke starts walking in a dark path
    5) Itachi kills his whole clan ---> trigger for Sasuke's behaviour and search for revenge
    4) Akatsuki try to get Naruto ---> Jiraiya becomes Naruto's sensei and take the fox boy with him for a long training
    3) Naruto fights with Gaara ---> Gaara's changment (this has a huge impact in the series later, and I'm sure we'll see more... Gaara won't die, beeyatches! :p )
    2) Haku shows Naruto which a nindo is, and Naruto learns that the real strenght develops from the will to protect a precious person.
    1) Iruka saves Naruto and tell him about the Kyuubi; Naruto understands for the first time that not everyone hates him...

24. avioletscream

the most important event in Naruto history was when Kishimoto decided to make a manga about a blonde haired kid and a world of ninjas.....
    ok seriously the most important things based on how much it affects the story
    1. the 4th sealing nine tails inside naruto
    2. itachi killing his clan
    3. formation of team 7
    4. meeting oro and oro giving the cs to sasuke
    5. meeting kakashi
    7. the akatsuki going after the demons
    8. sasuke leaving to join oro
    9. the 3 sannins and their involvement
    10. jir's quest for girls =) it's important! or else kakashi wont have books to read

however the most important events that show themes and the development of naruto will be when
    iruka and naruto bonding- everyone can find someone to care about, no one is alone
    neji and narutos battle- you can change ur fate if you believe
    sasuke battling naruto in the valley of the end- the heart doesnt always choose the wisest path, bonds cant be broke by only 1 side

25. Insipidipity

I'd combine meeting Kakashi with forming team 7. They wouldn't be team 7 without Kakashi since they'd be sent back to the academy and they wouldn't have met Kakashi if they weren't team 7.

26. Last of the Uchihas

9. When Itachi first appeared
    8. When the Uchiha clan was stated to be the strongest and feared clan of all.
    7. When Itachi killed the Uchiha clan
    6. When it was stated that Sasuke was the rookie of the year.
    5. When it was stated that Itachi was the greater genius the Academy ever had since its foundation.
    4. When Itachi owned 4 jounin and Orochimaru
    3. When Sasuke impaled Naruto with chidori
    2. When Sasuke treated Oro like a bitch
    1. When Sasuke spits at Naruto's face.

Obviously, those are not the real best top ten moments.

I will later on mention all ten of them, once i read through a couple of chapters first to refresh my memory.

27. Chatulio

im not going to place them in order but IMO

-the haku arc it defines naruto chosen path

-the confrentation between mizuki and iruka proves that while naruto will be hated he will find those precious people

-death of sandaime brings into play the importance of the will of fire

-sasuke naruto sakura being trained by the three sannin signifies they are being passed the torch

-the murder of the uchiha clan introduces the side villain and the reason for sasuke hatred

-gaara v naruto contrast between two similar people and how each came down there own path

-death of obito [sp] changed kakashi from the cold hearted by the book ninja into the ninja he is

lol i cant think of ten but here is what i thought tell me what u think :)

28. Takagou

10: Iruka's parents die, causeing his personal complex he puts unto naruto
    9: The sound four come to konoha, starting a chain effect of evil
    8:Team 7 is put together, starting the three's destiny to be the next sannin
    7: Mizuki goes crazy, leading naruto to the truth.
    6: Sasuke declares Naruto his best friend
    5: Sakura becomes Tsunade's apprentice
    4: Sasuke officialy runs away to orochimaru
    3: Naruto Becomes Jiraiya's pupil
    2: Haku battle, revealing both the sharingan and Kyuubi
    1: Itachi's mass genocide

THIS WAS SO HARD! My god..ten was too many to think of...there were so many great moments wow that was hard.

29. Spectrum

Nice lists, guys. It's interesting--everyone pretty much chooses the same events, more or less, but they rank them differently. I think everything on my list has already been mentioned in the thread. In fact... ::checks:: ...yep, it has. Just the order that's different, and in many cases even that's the same.

Well, anyway... continuing on. Number 8 is a manga spoiler, so just click the tag.

Spoiler: (the tag)

8. Death of Obito
    "Don't worry... it's not useless baggage. It's... this Sharingan of mine."

If the kids of Team 7 are the ones who most influence the story, Kakashi's got to be right up there on the list of people who most influence Team 7. And it was Obito, as we saw in Gaiden, who in turn most influenced Kakashi.

His easygoing personality, his care for his teammates, his punctuality (or lack thereof), and his Sharingan... pretty much everything that makes Kakashi Kakashi comes from Obito. It was Obito's death that changed Kakashi around as a person, and of course, if he hadn't been killed on that mission, Kakashi would also conspicuously lack his world-famous secret weapon. Most importantly in my book, though, Obito was the source of Kakashi's own nindo--his care for his team above all else. If it weren't for the changes that Obito shaped in Kakashi's personality, Team 7 would have had a completely different sensei.

Kakashi is also, if not one of the most central characters, as important to the story as anyone, and more important than most. So story-wise, the impact of Obito's death has been pretty far-reaching in that sense. And of course, Kakashi no doubt still has more surprises in store for part 2, and likely a bigger role to play in the future, so Obito's influence continues to be felt.

It's also worth briefly noting that at the time of his death, Obito had only just begun to mature as a shinobi, and could very well have turned out to be as great a ninja as any. There's nothing to say that his presence would have affected the outcome of the Uchiha massacre in any way, but then again, we'll never know. In any case, I thought it was worth a mention.

Anyway, that's number 8. :p

30. Takagou

Damn...I forgot about obito-kun. I woulda put him on my list too :scry Just too many defineing moments i suppose...
    But whilest on the subject of Obito...
    Spoiler: My crack-pot theory
    I think he is the leader of akatsuki >_>! I really...truly...positively...100% do XD!