1. The first My Hero Academia Banner Contest is here! We are pleased to invite you to participate.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hello Guest,

The Konoha Country Club is hosting its first Poetry Competition!
    The theme of the competition is "What does friendship mean to you?"

If you are interested in entering, please click here.

-- NarutoForums Staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

6. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice
  7. [​IMG]

House of Uzumaki has a new banner contest! Please, check here for details and place your vote.

Dismiss Notice

Top 5 Favorite Anime?

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by MaruUchiha, Oct 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Imagine

Yu Yu Hakusho
    FMA: B
    TTGL
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Gundam: The Origin

atm

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Moritsune Sengoku Iori Moderator

This is so hard....

Cowboy Bebop
    Baccano
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Your Lie in April
    Yu Yu Hakusho

3. DA hawk Whayolookinat?

1- Hunter X Hunter 2011
    2- pre-skip One Piece
    3- Attack On Titan
    4- Bleach
    5- Death Note

HM: One-Punch Man, Charlotte, Naruto, Fate stay night/zero.

Edit: forgot hataraku Maou-sama. That was hilarious

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  4. MaruUchiha The Fourth Six Paths

Flag:
    United States
    It's cool, you're basic like me nothing wrong with that lol

5. Mabel Gleeful Mage

I need to watch classic anime, but right now in no particular order:
    1. Saint Seiya
    2. Dragon Ball
    3. Rurouni Kenshin
    4. YuYu Hakusho
    5. Digimon Adventure

6. Kairi Dead

1. Sailor Moon
    2. Naruto
    3. Haikyuu
    4. Kakegurui
    5. FMA: B

I know there are better well written ones, but man, these have endless replayability for me

7. Mabel Gleeful Mage

If we include movies, again in no particular order:
    1. Tale of the Princess Kaguya
    2. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
    3. Princess Mononoke
    4. Castle in the Sky
    5. The Great Adventure of Horus, Prince of the Sun

8. Sassy

Flag:
    United States

In order:

1. FMA original & Brotherhood
    2. Samurai Champloo
    3. Ruroni Kenshin
    4. Sailor Moon
    5. Gundam Wing

9. StarlightAshley Well-Known Member

It's sooo hard to find Sailor Moon fans. You mean the sub right? Not the butchered english dub I hope.. Which scout do you like most?! :rotfl:rotfl

I like animes from that era too!..no sailor moon? :confused :confused

But as for Saint Seiya, I don't get it! I tried watching Saint Seiya but I couldnt, I got like 50 epsiodes in and I dont remeber any of it and I barley understood the plot or anythng that was going on lol!!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  10. Sixth Ranger Chikara

Yu Yu Hakusho
    FMA Brotherhood
    Magi
    JJBA

No particular order

11. Sassy

Flag:
    United States

I love both sub and dub their both beautiful regardless of what language their speaking. I love all the scouts their all my favorite.

12. Divine Death You're outta your vector

Flag:
    United States

1: Clannad/Clannad: After Story
    2: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    3: Cardcaptor Sakura
    4: Monster
    5: Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro

13. MaruUchiha The Fourth Six Paths

Flag:
    United States
    Hey Obito hater

Off my threads
    :camby

14. StarlightAshley Well-Known Member

But..if you banned everyone who thinks Obito is a bad character from your thread, you'd never get any responces! :laugh:laugh

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  15. Larcher Shaka Brah!

Flag:
    England

Welcome to the NHK
    Texhnolyze
    Samurai Flamenco
    Anohana
    Code Geass

16. Esdese Well-Known Member

so close to having the best answer on this page hands down.
    you just had to go and put brotherhood on the same tier as the original. Not that brotherhood is bad, it's just not on the same level as the OG. I don't think its as well written as the first adaptation.

17. Sassy

Flag:
    United States

Right agreed I suppose I just didn't realize till awhile ago that I really love FMA in general honestly. Right though I agree.

18. Spider-Man --- On a forums break

I both agree and disagree. Original FMA had more soul, and did a better job developing the cast and Hughes himself especially, so his death actually had an impact. They pull it off even better than the manga, which kills him off as soon as chapter 15 (whereas for 2003 it's the pivotal middle climax of the series). The beginning of the 2003 adaptation is also better because it follows the manga faithfully, while Brotherhood speeds through it assuming people have already watched the 2003 version, but Brotherhood is overall more faithful to the source material and does the manga far better justice, has better production values, higher highs, and by far a better ending.

The biggest issue I have with the 2003 anime besides being stuffed with unnecessary filler, is that it has a very unsatisfying, poorly written plot once it diverges fully from the manga. The 2003 anime ending the series with the Elric brothers separated across dimensions was a terrible choice. If the writers had any understanding of the characters' relationships, they would have realized that no amount of returned bodies would have been worth it to them if the two aren't still together... And the decision to make Al also lose ALL his memories of the entire adventure just rubbed salt in the wound. They ended in a much worse position than they were when they started their quest in just about every aspect, which is fine in some stories, but that clearly wasn't the path FMA ought to be taking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. Sassy

Flag:
    United States

In that regard I always find this theory to be heavily intriguing and interesting that makes you ponder and wonder about it.

20. Santoryu Scarecrow

problem is that while some arcs and characters are brilliant, the anime is littered with fillers, subpar arcs, and its longevity contributes to its decline in narrative quality just like most long running shounen series out there.

Anyway, in no particular order:

FMA Brotherhood
    Death Note
    Psycho Pass (Season 1)
    Fate Zero
    Ouran Host Club

Some of these are interchangeable with other series

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. Esdese Well-Known Member

Literally the opposite. Not only was 2003 much better written than the manga. the writers had a much deeper understanding of character depth and relationships than the actual source material ever did.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  22. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

Fist of the North Star
    Slayers
    Hajime no Ippo
    Monster
    Baccano

23. oMeGa1904 Mr. Incredible

Flag:
    Germany, Peru, Brazil
    2. FMA 2003 & FMA:B (I think the 2003 version has better bonding as well as more grim explanation of homunculus which made sense, but FMA:B had better fights and it's more positive overall)
    3. Rurouni Kenshin
    4. Shinsekai Yori
    5. Shingeki no Kyojin

As for guilty pleasures, I think I'd add Naruto, it's not particularly well written but going for the nostalgia as well for the fights, and for that I mean Sasuke's, Naruto's attrition clone+Rasengan stuff bored me thru shippuden.

Edit. I forgot my NGE, EoE and RoE. Anno please forgive me.

24. Spider-Man --- On a forums break

Wut. Brotherhood's plot just relentlessly chugs towards this explosive finale that ties together pretty much every plot thread in the series from the beginning, while 2003 gets bogged down in a pretty awkward Iraq War metaphor for most of the second half and the finale with Dante pushes the Elric brothers right out of the spotlight and just decides to focus on Hohenheim, who only appeared a few episodes beforehand. The big bad was also much, much better than Dante from the 2003 adaptation. She came with absolutely no foreshadowing due to the cut and paste nature of the writing of the 2003 version and was very, very underwhelming after the first half of the show had essentially prepared the audience for Hohenheim to be the big bad. Her plans to just wage war with Bradley constantly pretty much amounted to a gamble and her end game was petty self-preservation.

By no means was she as formidable or as interesting as Father who was foreshadowed well-ahead of time and was the force behind all events in the show from the invasion of Ishval to the creation of Amestris to the eradication of the civilization of Xerxes centuries behind the time of the series. These events and the sheer scale of his plan to sacrifice everyone for the sake of ascending to a new state of existence was a much larger crisis than simply preventing Dante from switching bodies and the unraveling of the Elric family's personal drama. A whole nation was at stake and it served to justify the coup that came at the series climax.

That's not even mentioning how Alchemy is being powered by an alternate universe's (read: our) dead souls, which is an amazingly dumb twist and so is Envy being Ed and Al's half-brother. Then you have Al give himself Ed, Ed overrule that by giving himself up and then Al still being a kid with no memory of the adventure which everyone will just tell him about... And Ed isn't even gone, he's just in our universe and is dealing with Nazis.

Brotherhood may not be as dark or as atmospheric as 2003, but it's more thematically sound. Greed, Pride, Gluttony, and Envy all get really nice ironic ends and Ed's final solution to get his brother's body back is really nice and in-tune with the series' themes.

Up until Hughes' death, sure. A number of the Homunculi were much more interesting compared to the manga/Brotherhood (though some I felt were weaker, like Greed). The early appearing characters are explored more in 2003 (especially Hughes), and I do admit it takes more narrative risks in terms of painting a world that isn't about optimism or the raw power of working together as humans. 2003's world is bleaker and plays it less safe with its conflict and had a stronger lean towards the psychological and occasionally philosophical, and certain plot elements are handled to more interesting effect.

However Brotherhood had a significantly tighter narrative, a stronger climax, a more satisfying ending (though whether you prefer it from a tonal standpoint is audience preference), and generally stronger and more consistent narrative progression, themes and dynamics. In the manga and Brotherhood, Ed saw Alchemy as a solution to everything, more so than other characters. He compared Alchemists to gods, and his complete inability to accept the inevitability of death led him to try to bring his mother back via alchemy. His entire journey started with him seeking the philosophers stone (the pinnacle of alchemical knowledge) to fix a problem that alchemy itself caused, a hypocrisy that he fails to realize until the latter half of the series. It was a massive part of his character, which is why him giving up his Alchemy in the end was such a big deal. He used Alchemy as a means for earthly gains in an attempt to elevate himself instead of accepting his humanity as it was and learning to love and appreciate the things he has without needing to change them. He later realizes this folly and no longer needs alchemy because of this. This is in stark contrast to Father's character who refuses to accept the humanity within himself and pays the ultimate price because of it.

That's much more in-tune with the Elric brothers' character and dynamics than the 2003 series that had Ed conveniently reconstruct his own body not once, but TWICE after going through the gateway. But before the second time, he got outright murdered, forcing his brother to use the very thing they had sworn to never use in their pursuit of restoration, and then basically uses his own body like a stone to restore his brother, who incidentally loses his memories of the last four years (then the Shamballa movie just hands those memories back to Al, and the two fuck around in Europe looking for the atom bomb, and obviously fail since WW2 still goes on business as usual).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  25. Cheeky 21st Century Schizoid Man

Flag:
    United States

Cowboy Bebop
    Mushishi
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Trigun
    Wolf's Rain

26. whatsausername Well-Known Member

2)one piece
    3)attack on titan
    4)hunter x hunter
    5)naruto

27. Kobe █▄█▄█ █ █▀█

2. Hunter x Hunter
    3. Kingdom
    4. Bleach
    5. Durarara!! / Baccano!

Also, tribute to my childhood:

28. [S-A-F] Maron tho

Definitely prefer the humonculi origins and personas in 03' series over manga/brotherhood. I'll take 03' Sloth over manga/brotherhood Sloth anyday. Also preferred Dante over Father since she felt more grounded as a villain as far as body hoppers go in anime and her history with hohenheim. I found Father less interesting than her and wasn't as active as her either. The ironic somewhat anticlimatic end to Dante also felt better written than how Father went out in a typical grand battle manga defeat.

29. MaruUchiha The Fourth Six Paths

Flag:
    United States
    Ah finally some anime I actually know, another basic guy like me lol

30. Robin Well-Known Member

no order

OPM
    One Piece
    TTGL
    Cowboy Bebop
    Parasyte

Edit: forgot HxH 2011.