1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

3. Voting is open in the KCC Haiku Contest!
    Entries can be found here.
    The poll closes on August 24th at 2:59pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice

Torchwood

Discussion in 'Television' started by Catterix, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Catterix

Wow. Torchwood, this is a spin-off show of BBC's "Doctor Who"'s new series. It is indeed a spin-off, but unlike 95% of US Spin-offs, its actually, uhm... GOOD.

For those who don't know, its about Captain Jack Harkness who we saw left at the end of season one after being murdered but brought back to life by The Wolf. Only he was abandoned, sort of, by the Doctor. Well now he's the leading member in the UK's secret(er) organisation, named Torchwood. Throughout the entire second season of Doctor Who we've been seeing remnants of Torchwood around, such as Queen Elizabeth deciding to create an organisation under the name, and also the massive laser that destroyed the invading alien ship on Christmas Day.

Its actually surprisingly good. Its written (mostly) and directed/produced by Russell T. Davies who really is a master of good wit and integrating it into the dialogue (something we forget about when watching animes), and its so ingeniously written. Normally I don't like stuff by Russell as his work is so... over the top at times. However, he's proven once again, like with many of the Doctor Who episodes and of course his genius Queer as Folk (The UK version, not the shit US one) that he's a legend at writing :p :amuse

So yeah... Annoyingly its only on BBC 3, and not terrestrial, so it's probably going to get less viewers, but maybe not. But the first two eps were shown in a double bill, and yayness! I personally really enjoyed it, it was alot bloodier than Doctor Who (That blood gushing out the man's neck when bitten by the monster) and I mean, come on! The second episode about an alien who came to earth to feed of orgasmic energy by screwing young guys and then obliterating them! No wonder the US didn't want to take it on. Meh, though that's pretty standard for British TV. (Who else burst out laughing at the line "He came and went" referring to guy exploding when he cummed?)

Aaanyways, it looks to be good. Alot more like Men In Black but not so over dramatised, and they did really well, considering their British Budget.

Care to discuss anyone? :p

PS. Oh! And who thinks that the severed hand that Jack loves is the Doctor's from the Christmas special? Its a bit too obvious, so it might not be, but meh!

Tags:
  2. Ema Skye

I love the show, just started watching it, I'm in ep. 10 so far.

3. Sasuke

I watch this now and again...I don't really like it but I watch it *shrug*

4. Buskuv Retired Staff

In b4 Dawn.

It's pretty good, but it's not as good as Doctor Who.

5. Catterix

Quite glad really, Season 1 had lots of ups and downs, I pretty much hated every Chris Chibnall (writer) episodes except for the finale.

However, in Season 2 he's gotten a lot better, Ianto's pretty good this season too. I'm liking the second far more than the first, though I think Season 1 episodes; Out of Time (10) and Captain Jack Harkness (12) pretty much own.

6. tari101190

I like the new eps, but there isn't enough alien stuff. I guess once they find out what is causing the miracle that will change.

7. illmatic

I just know that John Barrowman is HHOOOTTT!! :ohpek

9. Gabe

i have watch the first couple episodes of the miracle day one and it is good

10. Shade

I'm not liking Miracle Day nearly as much as Children of Earth, hope it picks up.

11. Banhammer

I'm calling this season's villains being
    Spoiler:
    The family of blood

I'm usually against posting about torchwood outside the doctor who thread but I'm so sure I'm right I want a damned record of it

12. Gabe

13. Bluebeard

14. Hellrasinbrasin

On Earth we don't send our Elders to Homes we send them to incidiaries...

15. tari101190

Newest episode was amazing. Can't believe what happened at the end.

But at the same time I wish we would see the damn aliens already.

16. Chaos Hokage

Last night's episode ("The Categories of Life") was good. The world leaders are really stupid to think that they categorize life and death. It's really fuck up how they deal with patients of category 1. I felt sorry for what happen to Vera. I hope Rex finds that punk ass doctor and kills him for he did. I'm guessing that Blue-Eyed Man is some sort of alien. At least I hope so.

17. Hellrasinbrasin

We enter the 2nd 1/2 of Miracle Day in 5 days... And the pieces finally start locking into place... also Ernie Hudson is on the next episode

When there's something strange on the TV screen...

18. emROARS

I wanna see some alien tech. Honestly when they were explaining the hidden building I wan thinking perception filter until they explained it. :(

19. Shade

RTD should stick to the 5-episode format. There have been too many drawn-out episodes with little happening.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  20. tari101190

It seems like a really cool drama at the moment.

But this supposed to be Torchwood, the spinoff from Doctor Who.

Where are the aliens already? We've had enough buildup.

21. Kiryuu

caught the new ep yesterday, Im interested in this mysterious behind the scenes group w/ their creepy ass logo o.O

22. Chaos Hokage

Last night's episode ("The Middle Men") was okay. Rex should've been the one to deal with that evil sick bastard Maloney instead of Esther and that wimpy soldier. Jilly (Lauren Ambrose) should have appear in the episode with her fine ass self since she's also consider a middle man or I should say middle woman. It looks like the next episode is going to be partly a flashback of Jack's which could explain his connection with the "Miracle".

23. Bluebeard

Jilly is fine as hell. :datass

24. Avix

To be honest i was a bit worried about Miracle Day's pacing between episodes 2 and 4, but It's pulled me back in. What with all the changes people just have to adjust.

The Oven thing was really shocking, and Oswald Danes is a great character.

I don't think anything can top Children of Earth if I'm honest. It's some of the best drama I've ever seen.

25. Chaos Hokage

I thought this week's episode ("End of the Road") was okay. The nullifier device under Angelo's death bed is pretty impressive. I bet they're going to use all of Earth's satellites to generate the nullifier's effects to end the "Miracle". When Oswald was asking for a girl, I thought he was going to rape Jilly right on the spot instead of asking for that other redhead.

26. Cardboard Tube Knight

I think I got kind of worn thin on Torchwood in season one because there was too much interpersonal BS and not enough alien stuff going on and then we had Children of Earth which might be the single best part of the show, I haven't been watching this season but when I do will it be worth it, everyone seems to have kind of lost patience with it.

27. Chaos Hokage

I also think it's cool how John de Lancie (Q from Star Trek: TNG) is one of the superiors in the CIA. When I saw I was like "Oh shit! Q has just enter the Whoverse".:laugh

28. Chaos Hokage

Tonight's episode (The Gathering) was alright. I like how Rex was able to get a lead about the 3 families by looking at works of fiction for clues.

Spoiler:
    It seems like the cause of the Miracle has to do with the Untempered Schism/time vortex (Doctor Who) that's somehow within the Earth between Shanghai, China & Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Will the Miracle end? Will Jack finally die? I can't wait for next week's episode to see how it's going to end.

29. Hellrasinbrasin

Wether he does or doesn't is a mute point as we know that his future is Locked in place... as was shown in Doctor Who Series 3...

30. tari101190

I couldn't really tell what that thing was.. Were they looking directly ahead and some giant pink think with a crack init, or were they looking down to a hole through the earth?

What do you mean?