1. chrolloseum
    Take your chances in The Chrolloseum!
    Opened September 29th through October 15th
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Emulation Related Thread

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by CrazyMoronX, Sep 22, 2005.

1. CrazyMoronX

Due to the unbridled amount of questions regarding Emulation (what a joke), I've taken it upon myself to create the Ultimate Emulation related thread.

Questions can be posted here, and I'll answer the best I can. Here you'll find links to emulation sites, translations sites, plugins, and a little extra information to make your wildest Emulation dreams come true! Err... maybe not. Anyway...read away; ask away; fap away.

Translations:

.NET This site contains just about every Fan Translation out there for various systems, mainly SNES as fan translations focus mostly on that system.

If you're unsure how to patch a ROM with a translation read the FAQ at the same site

Emulation:

For ANY and I mean any emulator you would ever dream of wanting, go to It is updated constantly (not so constant these days, but good enough) and will contain just about everything you need emulation wise.

Another helpful emulation forum that is updated more often try: LINK!!

Suggested Emulators to use:

Playstation: ePSXe ePSXe I recommend this above all others, some sites will say other emulators are better for some games, but I find this works fine for anything.

SNES: SNES9x - compatability is higher than ZSNES. I still prefer the ZSNES layout and familiarity, but it is no longer the best due to some glitches.

Alternatives:
    ZSNES
    SNESGT

Genesis: Either Gens or Kega Kega will do you well. Kega supports Sega CD as well.

NES: Try the suggestions at Zophar's Domain under the NES emulators section. I don't even know which ones are good anymore. :ippy

Nintendo 64: These are a little more difficult to get working, but either 1964 or Project64 should work.

Arcade: Simple solution for nearly all arcade, including NEO-GEO would be MAME. I would suggest the MAME32 or better. NeoRageX is a good alternative to MAME for NEO-GEO games.

GBA/GB/GBC: Only one I will reccomend, there are others that work great, but I use Visual Boy Advance. VBA it plays them all.
    no$GBA

Nintendo DS - I haven't tested these too much, but no$GBA does play FFXII Revenant Wings very well:
    no$GBA

Also, iDeaS is another great NDS emulator that plays TWEWY while no$ also does, but I've heard it's buggy and cannot be completed with no$:

Dreamcast: Dreamcast Emulation - Dreamcast emulation is a little tricky but it has certainly come a long way. There are only 2 emulators worth noting: and .

Extra information:
    Orochi-kun.

Dreamcast info courtesy of slimscane.

Wii/Gamecube:

Dolphin Emulator:

Shit's so cash.

PS2:

There is really only one good one that I know of (and it's near-flawless, but requires a high-end machine):

As for others, check Zophar's; they have a huge list under their Emulators section. Quick note: Cassini is great for Sega Saturn emulation, but it's a bit bugged.

Plugins:

N64 and PSX are the two main players you want to think about getting some good plugins for. My N64 knowledge is limited, so I suggest you go into the forums at the Project64 site to see their list of plugins Message Board.

As for ePSXe, I suggest Pete's plugins for Video and he also has some ok sound plugins as well. I recommend Eternal SPU for sound however, which can be found in the Plugins section of Zophar

Since ROMs are illegal for the most part, unless you own the game, ePSXe can actually run the original CDs, they will not be discussed in great detail here. I suggest the normal P2P programs to find these, and there are even some links on the various sites I've posted to ROM sites.

I think that about covers it... any furhter questions should be directed to this thread, and I'll probably be able to answer 90% of them. Hopefully we get someone the answer the extra 10% I can't.

For the PSX and PS2 emulators you'll need to go find your own BIOS file. I can help with this in private.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    Tags:
  2. Mongoloid Gnome

Wow, good work dude. Very informative.

3. Kagalli

ooo coolness! This should be like stickied or something!

4. Wing-Zero

wow awesome, now to find good roms

5. exmorte

Hey do you know a good one to play sega 32x games... knuckles chaotix i need to try and play XD

6. CrazyMoronX

I believe Gens does that as well, I have Gens+ myself, I suggest trying that, it might require extra BIOS files though.

BIOS files fall under the category of ROMs though, so I can't comment on that. I never had the motivation to try to play a 32X game.

Looking at the Zophar list, I would try Gens, Xega, or Kega Fusion, all of which can be found at the emulators section, here:

7. Powerman

I found a cool Torrent with a nice Sega Emulator that played Genesis and 32x Roms, came with everything needed to play.

And yes you need BIOS to play 32X Games.

8. Id

I got An Skn Emu with like 60 roms works perfect (all Fatal Fury, SVC Chaos, King of Fightes 94 -2000, Samurai Showdown 1-5, Last Blade 1&2 and more)

Its a huge file and I dont know how to post it so I guess ill put up in Kazza. When I do ill post here under what the name of the file is so you know its form me and not some bogus shit if not can someone give me suggestions so I can share the love.

for suggestion pleas pm me.

9. CrazyMoronX

I figured I would revive this thread, since people are still asking about emulation stuff.

What can you do?

10. ~ Masamune ~

I have all and a mugen game i created with over 600 fighters (SNk,Capcom,Neo Geo =lastblade,samurai showdown)

11. Chamcham Trigger

Oh cool I didn't know there was a thread related to this until now. I thank the linker for the link, and Crazymoronx for the thread.

Ok here's my situation. I just downloaded this emulator called SFF from here THE CIGAR BOSS, and I got it running, but I don't know how to get the iso files to work. I found out that I had to use daemon tools to mount the iso file, then I went to the options and changed the drive to be read from, but for some reason it doesn't read the iso file. When I put in a regular saturn game and change the driver to the real CD DVD rom drive, then it works fine, but when I try to use one of the virtual drivers, it doesn't work at all. I'm not even sure if the emulator is reading the virtual drive, but it works for other people and now I'm just plain confused.

12. CrazyMoronX

I've had mixed results with Saturn emulation.

I have had success with Cassini in the past, so I recommend that. But once you screw it up, it's screwed up forever, and it's easy to screw up.

With Cassini, you have to go through point it to the ISO file, and it creates a special Cassini file or something that allows you to load it. This is all from memory and probably at least 45% incorrect though...

No gamepad support for Cassini. -_-

I tried another Saturn emulator, and couldn't quite get that to work.

You're almost better off trying to buy a Saturn than getting the emulators to work, though Cassini worked pretty good once I got it working that one time. I was able to play Shining Force III with it, but not Castlevania X...

13. Kami-Sama

ohhh the good old days of emulation.

is a good place for your emu's need...

does ne1 got a working ver of the Mario kart (snes) rom... the one i got is bugged :(

PS: @Crazymoronx: YOU made gai eat sharingan kisame-zetsu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought you put gai there to throw us off......
    I expect a surprise for the next one :thumbs

14. icoselitham

Ummm...roms are illegal unless you have the original game cartrige. You have 24-hours to delete them off your computer. I hope you guys all have the original game cartriges :) .

15. Kami-Sama

the 24h period is an invented rule...they are illegal always :D

16. Dark Travis

That's right, and that doesn't really matter to us considering that many of us own translated licensed manga and anime

17. CrazyMoronX

I almost ordered the Japanese version of Seiken Densetsu III and Final Fantasy V once, but decided against it. What's the point?

Feel free to do that though, if you're feeling guilty. :wink

18. delirium

Does anyone have a problem with games not showing up on the "Available List" on their MAME? Specifically.. I wanna play Street Fighter III 3rd Strike, but it doesn't show up. Others like SF EX and KoF and Samurai Showdown don't show up either.

Can anyone help?

19. CrazyMoronX

This baby needs some major updating. :nod

Nintendo DS emulators are now functional, and play commercial games. I played FFXII Revenant Wings on one last night. :del

The two best ones that I have found are iDeaS and no$GBA. no$GBA plays FFXII: RW great, while iDeaS does not (may be some settings you can change around, I haven't really played with that much). I have heard that The World Ends With You plays on iDeaS and not no$GBA very well, however, so you may want to get both.

no$GBA:
    Here's link

Note: no$GBA is solicited as a GBA emulator. It does, in fact, play GBA and NDS games on the same emulator. Just keep that in mind.

iDeaS:

Also, a nice resource for all things emulation:
    Artpad(ClickMe >D)

This is actually where I found iDeaS. I already knew about no$GBA from my old GBA days, of course, and kept tabs on it with the DS development.

I'll edit the OP soon with this, as well as new links as the ones on there now are outdated and some of them don't even work anymore (Whirlpool).

20. Stumpy

I was able to get some NDS roms running a few months ago, but the sound was unbearably broken and had overall the games just ran slow. Emulation is getting better and better of course, but it doesn't quite seem worth playing yet to me.

21. Goofy Titan

2D games seems fully playable, if I recall so.

I think the 2 Castlevania games on the DS can be played through no$gba.

22. Stumpy

lol the game I tried most extensively was Phoenix Wright.

23. CrazyMoronX

Try it again in no$GBA. FFXII plays very smoothly in that. The music is fine, too.
    There are hundreds of fully playable games. They have a list on that forum I linked to under the no$GBA section.

NDS emulation isn't something I've played around with a lot, since I own a DS and have most of the games I want to play already, but I will probably start playing it more frequently. I'll relay my findings if I find them relevant. :quite

24. Goofy Titan

Those are almost thrown around on /v/ as running flawlessly.

And you had issues with them?

25. mystictrunks

Pirates all of you. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go download fansubs of popular anime series.

Any good sites for downloading ps1 games?

26. Stumpy

Maybe it was the emulator I was using then. I don't remember if I was using no$GBA.

27. Goofy Titan

I really only use emulators because I own the games, and the only TV in my room is an HDTV, which I use as PC monitor. You have to be giving me some heavy dosages of arousing material to get me to dig out the system and play with severe input lag and a blurry picture.

That and emulators can actually improve the image of a game. Some PS1 games, with certain filters, look like PS2 games. Well, early PS2 games.

As for links to sites, I think that is one of the more anal things people get up in arms about on forums. While there are direct links to Soul Eater and other anime and manga, a link to an emulation site WITH Rom's/ISO's somehow warrants the red flag, a sniper team, and a countdown to obliteration.

28. CrazyMoronX

Torrent sites, I guess. I got 90% of my ISOs from file sharing programs, specifically Direct Connect (which is pretty hard to use; DC++ is a good alternative).
    Perhaps; the two I listed are supposedly the best, most compatible ones.
    Yeah, I am using some filters on FFIX, and it looks pretty awesome. :iria I'll need to cover that in this thread, I suppose; as well as listing out some settings perhaps...

29. Ssj3_Goku

I added this thread to the official thread topic. However, I hope not to see any rom links AT ALL. roms are illegal period. So lets not bring them into this thread or any other thread at all.

30. mystictrunks

I have no problem with emulation, in fact I'm a big. The resolution packs for certain N64 games really enhance the experience. The Paper Mario and Majora's Mask ones are cool, so's Hi-res Banjo-Kazooie.

I guess I'll look around the internet for some ps1 games.