1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Umm...Are glasses threatening o.0?

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by Sammy-Jo, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Sammy-Jo Rawr

Hey all!

I've watched all the Naruto anime episodes up to 135 and I've read the manga from the Kakashi arc on....

Recently, I began watching Bleach. I'm on like the 14th episode or something like that.

Anyways, I've noticed a lot of similiarities between Bleach and Naruto that could be contributed to the fact that they're both shonen anime, but there's one thing that I just don't get.

What is up with characters pushing their glasses up on their nose when they're threatening someone, acting cool, or about to attack?

I'm talking mainly about Ishida and Kabuto, but I've also seen other instances of it in Naruto (that guy who started to train him to walk on the water before Jiraiya came into the picture; I forget his name).

Is this just something for comical effect?

Or is it like in America, where it's stereotypically "nerdy" to push your glasses up on your nose, and so it makes it amusing that these characters do it when they're threatening someone?

LOL I just found it amusing, and was curious :p.

Tags:
  2. Smokes Say No to Drugs

I've noticed how they do that too. I think it's for intimidation because pushing your glasses up is like saying, "Okay, now i'm ready." Well, it is in my opinion. I mean, they don't try to push their glasses up mid-action. They do it during those little pauses.

3. Sammy-Jo Rawr

Okay, thanks :).

I'm always interested in the cultural situation in anime, so that's why I was wondering :p. It's why I watch it in Japanese subbed in English, cause I love hearing the language, as well.

4. Aquila L do you know?

Aaaah...that's a good question =/ It must be some sort of foreshadowing thing. Midou Ban from Get Backers does that quite a bit with his sun glasses, too. Maybe to make them look a bit more intimidating or intense or thoughtful or whatever.

Kind of like the thing with shiney glasses being connected with evil characters.

5. ♠Mr.Nibbles♠ Nibbles on Nipples

hey i wear glasses and the pushing up your glasses only mean that you are serious. When they aren't pushed up it is easier for them to fall down and get in the way.

So for intimidation, focusing, and potentially whooping ass pushing the glasses up are necessary:grin

6. Nekorin Genin Neko Kunoichi

BECAUSE IT'S HAWT!!!11

Okay, really.. I don't know. xD

7. Butō Rengoob Honorary Pantaloni Rossi

i agree with Dmoney729 pushing up glasses means you're about to open up a can of wupass.

8. quizzlix?! indefinitely below par

btw, the character's name is Ebisu!:amuse

9. Rhaella nothing but the rain

I think the glasses help hide the eyes and any emotion in them, making you look shiftier and less honest, which is why so many villainous characters are depicted with them.

10. quizzlix?! indefinitely below par

oh yeah, it makes them lookk cooler (if they wear glasses allthe time or often)

11. Marguerite Perrin Banned

I just ignore that... I never questioned myself but meh....

12. Sammy-Jo Rawr

OMG....Are YOU the AL?????

I knew it :p!!!

LOL but anyways, thanks for the name. Ebisu...no way I'm gonna remember that; I suck at names.

Already I'm majorly confused on Bleach because each character seems to have 2 names. Like Tatsuki calls that girl with orange hair Orihime, but I'm pretty sure Ichigo calls her Inoue...Except Ichigo seems to have some other name too, that starts with a K o.0...

Aaaaanyways, you're right; the people with glasses do look cooler. I don't think Kabuto would be the same without his glasses :nod.

13. Scarface 950 Hokage

Yea its to make you look cooler Shino does it as well.........

14. Shuriken_Thrower The Bored Wonder

I've wondered that to,but I think it's just to make them look more intimidating and so it dosent get in the way,like Abel-sama ^__^''

ABout the two names thing,some characters call them by their first while some by the last. Ichigo's name is Ichigo Karasaki(pretty good for someone who rarely watches Bleach XD) and it's more formal to call people by their last name.Made sense?:)

15. Sammy-Jo Rawr

Oh! Thanks for explaining that lol :p.

Wow, Japanese forms of address are so difficult to learn! I thought by reading the wikipedia article on suffixes like -kun, -chan, -san, etc., I'd pretty much had it down, but now apparently they can call each other by last name with a suffix or without, or first name with or without a suffix, or....o.0....

Very confusing lol...But thanks for clearing that up for me smile-big!

16. gabha GB's Norman

Now that you mention it. every anime series I can remember with a sinister glassess-wearing character does that. Always cool though.

17. Uryū Ishida Trainer

I actually sometimes when i think about anime and i am bored....i push my glasses up because of anime, and it really is just like cool, eventhough i really can't do it right...

18. Vance Banned

I wear glasses, and, if you are going to fight, if you lose your glasses, you can't see good. It's not really in effect in the real world, but with ninjas, you can't be distracted.