1. img
    Take time to sit, get comfy, and watch the leaves fall...
    Come and join us in our forums Falling Autumn Event!
    The deadline is on September 25 at 10pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Come vote in the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 23th at 4:42 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

Umm...Iruka sucks?

Discussion in 'Konoha TV' started by Krzr, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Krzr

Alright, so the chunnin exams were stopped by the attack on Konoha. But, i still dont understand how only Shikimaru is the only Chunnin when Naruto, Neji, Lee....all of em could take Iruka. I've only seen Iruka fight once, but when he did he seemed about as tough as Sakura (pre-medical training). So i think it's kinda ridiculous he gets the rank Chunnin but not Naruto and Co.

Tags:
  2. kevo2488

Being a Chuunin isn't defined by your strength.

Being a Chuunin is defined by how much of a true ninja you are.

Your brain, body, and chakra must be trained well before becoming Chuunin.

The only person to do this among the rookies is Shikamaru.

He showed his dedication to true ninja tactics, and even threw in the towel when nothing else was the right thing to do.

That's why Shikamaru became a Chuunin, and no one else did.

Also, each character has their ups and downs.

Naruto couldn't touch Rock Lee right before the exams, but after training a bit, he owned Gaara, someone that Rock Lee couldn't beat.

It shows Naruto was off-guard against Rock Lee at the moment, but, after knowing what was coming, and after a month of training, Rock Lee would have a run for his money.

Dunno if that made sense, but that's what I think.

3. Catterix

Clearly Iruka has other skills that set him apart.

It was explained, Hokage was impressed with Naruto and Neji, but all they really showed was fighting prowess. What they were looking for were candidates who qualified in all aspects. Shikamaru may not be that strong battling, but his intelligence and plot devising made up for that. Plus he was still handy in battle. All Naruto showed he was good for in that one fight was that he didn't give up.

However, I do agree that Neji may have deserved to go through. But evidently there was something about him that the Hokage just didn't see as worth it. Either that or he needed longer to decide (Whereas with Shikamaru he seemingly decided right away) but was killed before he could. I don't think Temari deserved to be ranked as Chuunin, she just didn't seem right for it.

And Lee lost in the Preliminaries, just shoving him out of any chance of passing that Chuunin exam.

Remember, this isn't DBZ, fighters aren't marked simply coz how good they are at fighting, you have to have many other skills too.

4. MajesticBeast

5. kevo2488

6. suteishi

They actually don't tell us what he did to become Chunnin (They didn't show tha battle)

He probably has some crazy hidden talent thats all like WTF??!!1!

Like Shika

7. Senior_Superboy

I think he's stronger in his mind than his physical strength. Like Shikamaru.

8. Tetsuo235

I love it when i see these "why did Shikamaru become chuunin, etc threads"

9. Senior_Superboy

I'm glad that Shikamaru was the only one to become Chuunin. His tactics in his fight with Temari were awesome.

10. Kakashi-fan

Yeah! I think that we all can find common ground on that comment MajesticBeast. :nod

11. suteishi

-cough-

-Goes back into hidding-

12. Gillette_Series

Iruka is a kindergarten teacher. What did you expect?

13. Krzr

See i never said i dont think Shika shouldnt be Chunnin. He's a genius on the battlefield, and can keep his comrades alive. BUT, what im sayin is that The others should deserve it as well. Thats the main thing im tryin to get across.

14. MajesticBeast

Irukas secret power is 2 change konohamarus diaper and summon kodan and karyu muhahahha:p

15. TenshiOni

Naruto demonstrated no real battle tactics outside of two Kage Bunshin tricks. Sasuke barely got to show off anything - just that he knows an A-class jutsu and that he's fast. Gaara just stood there. Temari swung her fan a few times. And Neji just showcased some fancy taijutsu.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to say these characters lack the qualities of a Chuunin. It's just that, in their seen respective battles, they didn't demonstrate much of the tactics and thought expected of Chuunin.

16. Raiza

If you pay enough attention to the anime they explain why he got Chunin over the others.
    If you need a short explanation -the Hokage's helpers were dicussing why in the anime.
    The role of Chunnin would be set aside for those who show they can perform as a leader, keep their comrades alive as much as possible while accomplishing the mission. This doesn't mean that you can beat this person or that persons.

Also did you actually have to think really hard about the title of this topic?? I thought people only used "umm" in when talking not when typing....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  17. suteishi

I know what your saying...Shikamaru became chunnin because he show something besides jutsu's...

Also Shikamaru is a teacher too -_-

18. Production

19. neo-dragon

I've said it before in threads discussing why person x should/shouldn't be a certain rank. Fans stating what rank characters should be is like someone with no martial arts experience walking into a dojo and telling the Sensei who should be black belts. If the most experienced ninjas in each of the villages (including the kages) say that a person is a certain rank, who are we to say that we know better? They assess a lot more than fighting ability and raw power. For instance, Naruto can perform some jounin level jutsus, and Kakashi has stated that Naruto has more raw power than he does. Still, for the time being, he lacks many of the other essential qualities to advance beyond the rank of genin. From a real world perspective, if Kishimoto decides that a character should/shouldn't have a certain rank, again, who are we to say otherwise?

20. ryne11

Iruka bashing? It is the anime that makes him look way. He has really good status and many missions. We have yeat to really see anything from Iruka(except chapter/episode 1, but he got blindsided before he got to show anything)

21. Jh1stgen

Aside from being involved in Naruto's development as a character, i dont think highly of him >___<

22. Purgatory

..I really wish Neji became chuunin. I mean, he's an all around strategist. Even though he's no Shikamaru, he has VERY useful techniques and he can think accordingly. I seriously wish he was chosen as Chuunin with Shikamaru.

23. Angel Haiku

Iruka is stronger than he let's on.He has potential to become Jounin but stayed ahs an Academy teacher.And Shikamaru was the only one who knows how to retreat and save his team.

24. 99NineTails99

Well Kishimoto didn't really show us what Iruka's capable of, so we can't judge if Iruka deserves to be Chuunin just based on the limited information we have on Iruka. And some of the other members have given good replies, so I don't want to repeat what they said.

25. toonekked

um.. wasnt itachi Anbu when he left Konoha? And then wasnt he jounin before that?

26. iander

I think it was Neji's anger that prevented him from becoming a Chuunin that exam but after he learned to calm down and stop talking about how bad his childhood was (understandibly) he showed he was ready to be a chuunin and then eventually a Jounin. Im sure Neji became a chuunin the next exam. Same with Gaara, after fighting Naruto he became a much more calm and nice person and he probably became a chuunin not long after. Iruka is a very calm and intelligent person, while like shika his fighting skills are not spectacular, he was exactly what a chuunin should be.

27. Fojos

There's one simple reason. He's smarter than the others.

28. Turnip Girl

(And, yes; I know this is all lies, but it unfortunately seems true of Iruka.)

29. GrandTheftAutumn

Iruka's strength most likely is his smarts, much like Shikamaru. So Iruka must deserve the rank more then Naruto and Co.

Thats my answer =/

@Kirai: You said Itachi. You meant Iruka.