1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Underrated/Overrated Jutsus

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Lain, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Lain

There's a lot of 'em. For example: chidori and rasengan. Granted that they are both very powerful, they only work when you can actually hit the enemy. A lot of enemies are quick, and can dodge or counter the attack easily. Itachi is a great example of that. All he had to do was move his hand a little bit and the chidori was suddenly useless. It would probably only work if the enemy was pinned somewhere. Anyways, in spite of that, chidori and rasengan are both used over and over like they are the best of the best jutsus, even though there are about a hundred things anyone can do to counter it.

As for underrated jutsus, am I the only one who thinks that Ino's soul transfer technique has some great potential in certain situations? Think about it, all she has to do is catch the enemy off guard and use it. Then there's nothing the enemy can do. Then she can do whatever the hell she wants, like spying, or just knifing one of the enemy's friends in the throat (hey, they wouldn't see it coming), and so much more.

Even Chouji's ability to become a giant is rather underrated. When a fat man the size of a tall building starts rampaging, what the fuck are you going to do? Use chidori on his pinky toe? No. You haul fucking ass, assuming that you don't have skills comparable to any Akatsuki member, Sannin, or Kage.

Tags:
  2. CM Pope

Chidori
    Rasengan
    Goukakyuu (Uchiha speciality?! What the hell has it managed to do?!)
    Chidori Nagashi
    Mangekyou Sharingan

Underrated:
    Chou Baika no Jutsu

3. Renegade

The 8 gates are the most overrated jutsu of all time.

4. mustang

gates(whenever gai or lee is in a battledome thread -they got gates they can't lose!!!!!!!!!!):notrust
    Hakke Rokujuuyonshou(whenever neji is in a battledome thread
    -he can close their tenketsu 100%, Neji is invincible!!!!!!!!):notrust
    Kuchiyose no jutsu(giants/edo tensei) (whenever one the sannins or naruto are in a battledome thread-they can summon giants/edo tensei they are unstoppable!!!) :notrust
    Kaiten(whenever neji/hiashi is in a battledome thread-he have an absoulte defense, Hyuuga is the strongest!!!!!!!):notrust
    Kakashi's ms( whenever post-skip kakashi is in a battledome thread with his ms-Kakashi got the ms now he owns everything in existence) :notrust
    chidori/rasengan
    underrated:
    any katon(katon=shit!!!!!) :cry
    any basic technique

5. Missing_Nin

henge
    kawarimi

6. Turrin

underated
    -shoten(not so much underated but is not relized for just how amazing it is)
    -Naruto's Kage bushin stragies

Over Rated
    -Edo tensi
    -Fushi Tensi
    -MS(not the Sharingan itself just the MS)
    -Kyuubi Chakra

7. Tazmo?

8. TheoDerek

Can anyone explain to me how MS is overrated? The user can literally look at you and kill you. Unelss you are Kakashi who has shitty aim.

How is it even possible to overrate that?

EDIT: The only thing I consider overrated is the gates. Not because of their power, but because people don't understand that Gai and Lee don't start the battle with gates nor do they use them right off the bat.

9. funumuh

It is obviously powerful, but it is hardly the ultimate technique.
    -if you are using the tsukiyomi technique, someone with a strong enough will can overcome it, or at least endure it.
    -Gai has already made it clear how you can avoid tsukiyomi
    -Deidara was able to see Kakashi's space/time technique coming. There is enough time for a potential counter move.
    -The drawbacks of use are very bad. There are both short term(high chakra cost) and long term(damage to your vision) costs. Like the gates, you would be better off using it as a last resort.

It is utterly stupid to say MS is weak, but there is more then enough reason to say it is overrated.

10. Hamaru

11. The Uchiha Wrath

12. Khamzul

Overrated:
    Chidori / Rasengan
    Most area of effect jutsus (Katon is a great example, an even better one is Deidara's bombs)
    Chidori Nagashi

Underrated:
    Chouji's techinques
    Haku's Ice mirrors
    Genjutsu

13. SaiST Retired Staff

Overrated:

Chidori - Maybe Kishimoto didn't have all of this in mind when he first thought of the Chidori, but it isn't lookin' so hot when you have wind chakra being better suited for what the Chidori is known for. Takes a rediculous amount of chakra to accomplish what Asuma could do just as well with his Chakra Knives, or Orochimaru with the Kusanagi no Tsurigi, or Baki's Blade of Wind; possibly without the high-speed, head-on dash, and without the huge waste of chakra. In my opinion, Chidori Nagashi is a much better concept(especially since it can be used in conjunction with one of the aforementioned tools. Hell, even using it through a normal katana or even a kunai would turn those common weapons into highly destructive tools).

Hakkeshou Kaiten - I think folks have a flawed perception of just how it works, which is why so many think of it as invincible. I think most have the impression that it's a consistent spinning orb of chakra that just pops up whenever Neji wills it. The truth is that it is a large amount of chakra being expelled from Neji's body as he spins--the attack being stopped by the chakra first, and blown away/parried with the spin. The chakra that is expelled doesn't just stay there, it's being blown away.

Hakke Rokujuyonshou - "neji will lawk ur tenketsu game over lol"--Notice how Neji has only managed to land this technique on opponents who were not only much slower than himself, but were put in disadvantageous positions in the first place(Naruto, recovering from Neji's Kaiten, and Kidoumaru, still dealing with the gob of hardening web in his mouth that Neji just avoided). Of course, being in the range of his technique would certainly increase his chances of the it being successful, but there is no guarantee--especially against faster opponents, or opponents with a great deal of experience against high-speed Taijutsu and/or other Doujutsu.

Underrated:

Katon Ninjutsu - Just because they haven't been all that successful against Shinobi who wield some abnormal defensive options, or just horribly powerful overall, people tend to think very little of them(and the anime's filler segments don't help). First time we saw Kakashi form a Tiger Seal, Sakura feared for Naruto's life. And now Asuma, with no odd defensive measures, takes a "direct" hit from a Katon and is burned quite badly(but it was still overlooked for the most part). I long to see Itachi in a serious fight, because as the man raised from an early age to be heir to the Uchiha clan, and one who not only has shown us the most crazy lookin' Goukakyuu thus far, but wields the most powerful Katon Ninjutsu in this series(Amaterasu), he could actually start makin' folks respect Katon a bit. >_>

Nara Clan's Shadow Techniques - Under the right circumstances, extremely effective tools in a fight. I wonder if Kishimoto has entirely throught this technique through, as I would suspect in a very darkened enviroment, Shikamaru and his pops could be a real pain in the ass.

Bunshin Daibakuha - Not so much underrated, more overlooked... I mean, c'mon, how many would suspect a Kage Bunshin to just explode in front of ya? :p

There are more on each side, but I'm lazy.

14. Zer0_UchiHa

Sai u r soooo right, agree with all those u said, and here are a few more.

Over rated
    Chidori/Raikiri : too much chakra used and not effective, just as easy to use a kunai then have that on ur arm.

Gates : honestly its not so much the gates that r over rated, its the way they have been used. if each gate opening supposedly gives u 10 times more power, how can someone like gai then only have enough power to suprass the hokage? surely he is only slightly below kage level now, give him just 2 gates opened shouldnt he be much stronger than kage? let alone opening 8 gates :p (perhaps this could also go in under rated)

Under rated
    kawarimi no jutsu : simply put, this superb plot no jutsu is the most deadliest and greatest jutsu kishi ever created. in fact its so good that kishi cant even use it properly nor its concepts (it should have been ranks SSSS-rank, not D-rank). everytime we think a ninja is dead, lets just have them kawarimi, thats true kishi style for u. deidara = dead from rasengan? i think not, lets have him kawarimi :p

shunshin : well if hiraishin is the bomb, i dont see why this isnt, lol just thinking of all the times oro and kabuto "poof" away makes me sick to my stomach with this awesome D-rank jutsu.

Yairu no Baika : how can u stop a sword of wind? only sharingan and byakugan could possibly see it, asides from that, everyone else dies i would imagine. should have been S-rank, not A-rank.

Choujis techniques : ok apart from jiroubu which was just soooo shit, what could u do against chouji when he is the size of a house? man chouji should have just kept stepping on him instead of a belly flop lol.

there are a lot more but these are good for now i think :D

15. Haohmaru

underrated, the amaterasu. its cast and your dead, cant get better than that. cept the fact that you cant use more than 3 in a row and will need to rest your body after using all 3 times in 1 day.

16. Renegade

I've never heard anyone bad mouth Amaterasu... :oh

How is it underrated?

17. The Uchiha Wrath

Haha, so true, if Kakashi had not detected the chakra abnormality in the bunshin Kurenai would have been toast, even Asuma didn't know of the technique.

Other overlooked technique imo are those wired Kunai thingys Sasuke used against Orochimaru in the forest od death and Naruto at VotE, it looks pretty damned cool than all those hot jutsus like edo tensei, gates or katons, sorta like how ANBU\Sasuke's sword looks cooler than jutsus. =/

18. Woozie

Kakashi's MS
    : People take this as somekind of big powerup for Kakashi...the truth is that there are only very few enemies he can use it against due to it's slowness/chakra drain/Kakashi's ability to use it.

Underrated:

Ino's techniques
    . They always get underrated because plot demanded Sakura to break out of it. Now people are saying they don't have any effect on jounin + level ninjas post-timeskip.

19. Azure-kun

Harem Jutsu-it's barly used anymore, hell it was only scene once, with some Modifications to the acutal "attack" it could make Tsukiyomi look like child's play.

20. Arachnia

kawarimi (used oftenly in the start but now it seems to be forgotten and its too good)
    shunshin
    kagemane combined with shadow choke ( darth wader stile choking ftw)
    exploding bunshins (only itachi does it and its unpredictable)
    regular genjutsus (tsukuyomi excluded)
    wind jutsus (what temari does....u cant evade that)
    overrated:
    chidori and rasengan (its the same as impaling the enemy with a sword or kunai and if evaded leaves you without alot of chakra)
    gates for reasons stated previously
    the scalpel jutsu of kabuto.....dude...a kunai would do the same thing only it would cut a big piece of flesh too
    ice mirrors of haku

21. Goodfellow

Wooden giraffes of doom. Seriously people, if you aren't constantly ending your post with:

May the wooden giraffes not eat me today, AMEN!
    Then you are just asking for trouble.

Oh, Naruto as whole is pretty much underated.
    And Neji is the polar of Naruto, he's overrated -.- He pokes at people!! Gods! They even gave him "golden byakugan". It doesn't exist people!

22. RoastedTanuki

Tsukiyomi, Tsukiyomi, Tsukiyomi
    4th Kazekage puppet
    Hakke 64 (128 is nice though)
    Chidori Nagashi
    Kyuubi Naruto
    Edo Tensei

Underrated:
    Kawarimi
    Kage bunshin
    Mizu Bunshin
    Kakashi's MS

23. koike88

underrated - "that jutsu".

24. Muk

shuriken no kagebunshin no jutsu: seriously, how can anyone complain that this jutsu dosen't own. Out of 1 shuriken you get a thousand that slice and dice your opponent, unless you are Oro or a Huyga. You could have millions and billions of shuriken just toss at your opponent. Awesome aoe jutsu.

25. gaara-sensai

overated-Kaiten,rasengan and chidori and kage bunshin

underated-wind jutsu and genjutsu(even though it definetly not the most exciting jutsu )

26. Loki_Seijuro

I feel Taijutsi overall is underrated...but in terms of specific jutsu, I'd have to say 'The Flowing Chidori'. Forgive me, but I can't seem to remember the name. It's the technique where Sasuke generates electricity over his body.

27. Orion

wow to the person who said 4th kazekage puppet is overated u do realize that spamming the iron sand rain or w/e its called is like the most broken move ever right.

28. Loki_Seijuro

There are a lot of broken moves in this comic, and that's the bad thing about this whole 'power-scale' that's being put into place.

Pretty soon they'll start saying "His power level is unimaginable" for every villian and whatnot. ( Thank DBZ for that tidbit)