1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Anime Awards for 2017 part 2 commences with the category of worst anime of 2017!

Drop by and leave a vote in the following threads: 1 2 3 4 5
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Akihabara TV channel is hosting a banner contest in Contest Central. Submit an entry for the chance to receive art points here!

Deadline is July 7th 10 PM UTC
    Dismiss Notice

University of Chicago eliminates SAT/ACT requirement

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Benedict Cumberzatch, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Benedict Cumberzatch

Flag:
    Denmark

Tags:
  2. Benedict Cumberzatch

Flag:
    Denmark
    Also, in case you're not reading the full article, another important fact:

3. Khaleesi Moderator

Germany
  4. Lina Shields i am disappoint dat...

They seemed to have gotten the hint that social skills + networking experience is more important in comparison to test scores now. The former quality should net you the job that you want faster.

However, when a university makes drastic changes like these, I wonder if the quality of education provided by professors will decrease?

5. Mider T VM Rapist

I wonder how this will effect those who aren't coming straight from high school?

6. Lina Shields i am disappoint dat...

The article doesn’t really expand on those that are coming from other places other than high school. From the looks of it, students that apply, and are accepted should be able to get in without problems, especially since taking the SAT/ACT exams aren’t a necessity anymore.

But then, if these same students took the SAT/ACT exams a while ago before application to University of Chicago, will the previous results of these exams not be considered?

7. Mider T VM Rapist

Well I mean for those who are going to college for the first times years after graduating high school, how will they be competitive? They don't have a GPA or a history of extracurriculars, most of the time their ticket are their SAT/ACT scores. Though I guess they could write their application like a resume with work and life experience.

8. Benedict Cumberzatch

Flag:
    Denmark
    Considering this move away from testing is meant to provide a more holistic approach to admission, I would say taking time off and having tangible evidence of doing something worthwhile will only make that person a more competitive applicant.

9. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

Eh, I know standardized testing gets a lot of hate these days, but it does provide a good measure of how well a student can prepare for a specific task. To begin with, college admissions never looked only at your ACT/SAT score. Usually they just set some score as a (generous) cut off point and then just don't look at applications for anybody with a score below that.

Also this portion of the article is probably true:

I'd bet most people who apply there are still going to send in scores anyway.