1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

US Views of France and Canada

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by YamiB., Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YamiB.

I know that these feeling were inflamed by the War in Iraq, but I experienced these feeling before. It seems that many people hate France and Canada, probably more so France. Why do you think this sentiment is present? Do you think these feelings are justified?

Tags:
  2. Jones

dont do it. this will be(and is) one big flame thread. plz get rid of this thread. i dont want to start.

3. YamiB.

If people aren't able of having a civil discussion and there is excessive flaming then it should be close. So it should not be close until those things happen, not because they may happen that is possible for any debate topic.

4. Blue Supporting Staff Retired Staff

Are you French? Just wondering.

Because while American sentiment towards France WAS a bit cold for about a year (renaming French toast Freedom Toast and whatnot) we've mostly forgotten about it now.

And I don't remember ANYONE ever hating Canada.

5. abfluvver

No one hates us, they just make fun of us a whole lot. :p

I can live with that, though. We laugh at ourselves more than the U.S. laughs at us, at any rate.

I think everyone needs to just have an awesome, great big hug. Yay! We should all love each other!

6. baconbits Retired Staff

I agree. No Canadians were ever blamed for anything, but France is not much liked for its involvement in the UN security council. I think feelings about the french are about 50-50 with mostly people on the right not liking the French government, but not its people.

7. YamiB.

Maybe it?s just because my area is mostly conservative but I say negative feelings towards France and Canada before the Iraq War, though I agree that did add fuel to the fire. Canada does seem to be hated less and I think part of the reason is because they?re connected with the French because of the French presence back in colonial times.

Speaking of the whole freedom fries/toast thing, I need to remember to call ?hot dogs? frankfurters.

8. abfluvver

Actually, if we're talking about hating the French...
    Many Canadians cannot stand French-Canadians at all, and it's probably the biggest bias I see in day-to-day life.

9. vervex

Ahah... Like if I cared how US sees my country ! ;)
    I'm proud we haven't joined the war in Iraq. They found to nuclear stuff neither bacterial. It was useless, sincerly, except for Sadam that was arrested. What more would be have done anyway ? (my opinion about the war, of course) It wasn't Canada's concerns and I support the descision our primer minister took. We are pacifist, afterall...

Well, know that french from France and french from the province of Quebec and some parts of Ontario are not the same, at all ! A lot of Quebecker hate french from France, eheh. Our manners are different, our values, our culture... They were our ancesters, of course, but we're not the same anymore. Personaly, they annoy me a little, but I've met some French that were nice too.

10. Asmodeus

It's the same as comparing Americans to the English, so I can understand that. Will you have ignorant hicks who know nothing of polititcs hate the French? Of course, but those assponies don't count. I'm literally 1/4 French, so while I make jokes, I don't mean anything. There is a difference in making fun of and hating. I make fun of my brother and my friends, but if someone really hated them and wanted to hurt them, I would stomp a mudhole in them. Is that a good example?

11. baconbits Retired Staff

lol, i think so.
    I think that there are some more ignorant people out there hating the French right now, just as there are ignorant people hating entire groups of people everywhere, but I don't think its widespread. French people are just easy to make fun of. Wee wee.

12. Inactive hope

There was some booing of the Canadian national anthem during hockey games last year (when there was hockey), which spawned some reactionary booing from Canadians to the American anthem... And when President Bush visited a few months ago, there was a lot of negative press about Canadians in the American news...but that's mostly the fault of Canadians, who feel that we are morally superior simply because we're not American.

13. junidaime

To Red State Americans

France is just cheese land and Canada is just the 51st state!

I Kid... I Kid

Both France and Canada are very wonderful countries...

FOR ME TO POOP ON

LOL

J/K

I don't know what our beef with Canada and France is...

I guess we have a problem with Snobs and Pansies

*Rim Shot*

(Ooooooooh...uncalled for)

Ok Ok , seriously though

I like Canadians. In fact Some of my best friends are people who know people who have met Canadians. I hear they are a very jolly lot.

(what about the French)

Oh....yeah

I hate their guts! Sorry! :laugh

14. Asmodeus

And when Americans feel attacked, we retaliate...usually without thinking, lol. So it's similar on both sides.

15. Phredy

I think it's mostly blown over now, but I would agree that the hating on France was ridiculous for a while. As for Canada, I find that the perception of hatred is far stronger than the actual sentiments (which I don't think rose above mild annoyance and even that was only a couple months).

The problem with most of us Canadians is the incredible inferiority complex that seems to have spread nationwide, especially where our American friends are considered. My favorite example was when Bush forgot to mention us as one of their allies in a speech that DID include a bunch of fairly unimportant nations. While I don't like to think we're taken for granted, the response was ridiculous. It was the headline story in the news for about a week, there were actually headlined like "BUSH FORGETS CANADA!" (or something to that effect) in mainstream, respectable newspapers. So instead of acting like friends in their time of need, we put enough pressure on our leaders that we pestered them "seeking assurances" that this didn't signify some change in american foreign policy when we were hoping for their cooperation in a number of other matters that were actually of some significance. Personnaly I was somewhat embarrased by the whole affair.

Sorry for the length, but this is a subject I tend to rant about

16. lucky

Hate Canada?

...... i didn't even think people cared about us moose-hunting, seal-smashing dog-sledding eskimos. What's a hot dog btw?

you say that cuz they're big anti-yaoi fans, right?

But honestly. I've yet to personally see any anti-quebecer sentiment at all. I've been to Quebec at least once a year every year since i was like... 2. Unless you're talking about how much the 'average' Canadian hates the fact that those seperatists are trying to get away from Canada.

Funny thing about that... I learned Parisan french but i understand Quebecer french much much better. Damnnn. I like parisan french so much more.

You're right about that. Maybe it's cuz the US dominates so much of Canada's culture.

17. abfluvver

Zing!

Okay, so I was mostly talking about the obligatory Quebecois-directed jokes, and yes, I was talking about Seperatists in particular.
    Possibly just an area thing, then. :p

18. Memnoch

I've never been to Canada or France, and I don't know any French people, so I have nothing bad to say about them :) I really like some French movies, so that's pretty cool. I have some Canadian friends, and they are awesome, so Canada is probably nice.

I guess anyplace you go, you will have a variety of people, good and bad.

My view of Canada .. cold, pretty clean, high taxes, decent beer, lotsa hockey fans...

My view of France .. lots of history, good wine/cheese/bread, difficult political situations, interesting cars (Peugeot 206 is cool!) ..

Meh .. and I'm from Texas :) And no, I didn't vote for Bush :) I have yet to see any politician worth voting for!

19. Le Male Absolu

Flag:
    France
    Ah, voila un sujet interresent. In France we see all your joke about us. Last time we see Lands Amstrong say, bad thnings about us. If you have some question about us tell me.

Hey Memnoch watch my link about Citroen C4 :)

20. Shogun

I guess hating france must be contagious, the English hate them, but to be fair there is a lot of history. And being English i am one of them.

21. Le Male Absolu

Flag:
    France
    mmmh you maybe right but i thinks everybody lose in this war between french and english people.

22. pajamas

I'm super biased because just about every kid in my town hates the french. My biggest problem is their language. I hate the way it sounds. It gets into my head and hurts, it hurts badly. And that pisses me off. I also don't like the arrogance that most french people are stereotypically supposed to show. I met a french kid when I went to Austria but he was mostly shunned by my Welsh friend, my friend could speak fluent French and did everything in his power to piss that kid off. Which actually made me feel sorry for him... a little bit.

I got off on a tangent, but as I said. My town doesn't like France, no idea why, and I don't care much, because I have no intention of doing anything about it... that I know of

23. BattousaiMS

Like anyone would give a damn about how US thinks our liberal governement. Americans are americans they critize anyone if you are not following their trend. Like in the case of Canada the legalization of Marijuana for medical purposes and our opposition on the War of Irak.

In the end I guess we justified our reasons since none is blamming Canada for anything and he havn't become the "hate" of the world that is now the US. Not only that we didn't became illegal invaders either. I guess you can say there is atleast one governement who listens to its mass population in North America :cool.

Most of these crap is due to the difference of political views anyway. At the moment US is lead by a conservative governement (a very sucky one also with a fool as leader) while Canada is lead by a Liberalist government. So their opinions are on the opposite sides of the scales (well more like we are in the middle and Americans are in extreme right-wing). Just watch when the Democrats get back in power, then opinons will again change and this time it will be praises on us (same political view parties always support eachother).

As for France, they hate them because it has directly opposed any of Mr. Bush's invasion plans and still isn't in much support of their recent ideas, hence getting the hate mails due to American propaganda. It's always been like this with the American governemnt since Truman's declaration of his doctraine : "You are either with us or against us" crap.

As for the French language, it's not that hard, i don't understand why some people are so fused about it, it's a romatic language just like Spanish and Italian. The only difference in most cases is the use of a "o", "a" and the end of most words (Diffrence between romantic language that is). If you got problem with French then you probably hate Spanish and Italian too or else your simply biased or simply stupid (or simply don't want to pick up French girls for date with some romantic verses :laugh ).

24. pajamas

1. I fucking hate America.
    2. It's Iraq.

I don't blame Canada for anything. As far as I'm concerned Canada >> US.

1. I'm a damn proud liberal. And oppose most conversative views, and Bush isn't a fool, he's an incompetent dipshit who should be assassinated.
    2. I hope that the Democrats come back into power soon.

Fuck Bush. More than half the country has finally agreed that the war is bad so the minority who agrees with Bush is the only section who can be put into that category, when I know a TON of french-haters who hate Bush and the War in Iraq

It's not hard, it's just annoying. I know Spanish is a romantic language, I take Spanish in School... and I HATE it. I'd switch to German if they had it, fuckers in the Government taking all the good classes. I've never heard Italian, and if I have, then I probably mistook it for French or Spanish and got extremely annoyed by it.

I don't know if that was directed at me... but I think the last one was so I decided to put my two cents in for the whole thing. <<;;

25. Robotkiller

There's alot of hate in that statement.

26. Robotkiller

There's alot of hate in that statement.

27. Keramachi

@Douglas Adams, as much as I hate Bush, I don't want him assassinated. That would mean Cheney in power. That's a big no-no.

It's typical stereotyping and governement propaganda. Bush himself said: "France is not our ally and they may even be our enemy!" And the American public, eager to have a real reason to hate the "arrogant" French, jumped right on the bandwagon. People always bash the French for being cowards, but France has the most badass army on the planet, the French Foreign Legion. We're talking about an army of ex-convicts who can use their weapon of choice and take cocaine before they go into battle. (If you've seen Scarface, you'll know what I'm talking about)

28. pajamas

shit. I'm going to France and blow shit up! I WANT WEAPONS AND COCAINE!!!!!!!!

P.S. Cheyney would obviously have to be assassinated as well. I thought that went without saying... guess not <<;;

29. Dark Schneider

As a Canadian in the midst of this arguement. I'd like to comment that it is not by any means fine and dandy in the land of the Canucks.

Personally, most Canadians value themselves to be far superior to their U.S counterparts. Which is quite pathetic in situations pertaining to politics and their presence in the international community. This arrogance is quite aggrivating. But yet,I somehow condone this behavior;because when matters are put into perspective, Canada is just America Junior. Constantly, Canadians try to distinguish themeselves from America. It's this lack of identity that leads to this resentment towards the U.S (this predates the war on terror). Afterall what is a Canadian? An unarmed American with free healthcare:laugh

On to the next topic, the French. I find it ridiculous that everytime Quebec threatens to seperate ( whether on a grand scale or the thought). Parliament yields down and gives 'em more money. What a load of BS.

The Parti Quebecois's(one of the four leading parties in this country), political platform revolves around the notion of seperatism. Yes, seperatism. It seems to defy all feats of logic, when such a party makes it into the top four, who's main goal is to seperate from the rest of Canada. Although they have not won an election yet. Quebec has seats in the House of Commons, because of their prominence.

It boggles the mind, but Quebec is the only place in the world ( to my knowledge) where the "STOP" signs are in French! The fact is,once you cross over the border, all the streets/road signs are in French. There is actually a clause in the Charter ( the Notwithstanding clause) which gives Quebec or any other province the right to makes laws that go against the Charter.In this case, Quebec has made it so that, French signs must be 3/4 larger then English signs. Don't even get me started on how difficult it is to get kids into English schools in Quebec.:mad

Unlike the American system, in Canada we do not vote for the leader, we vote for the party. So if the Prime Minister ( equivalent to President) decides to retire or step out of office. Someone else ( who the Canadian public has not voted for) replaces him for a period of time. This replacement can call an election whenever he/she sees fit.

In conclusion what I'm trying to state is that Canada is not perfect and not as great as most people are lead to believe.

Edited to Add: I apologise for my lousy grammar and choice of words. Damn I can't write today for beans:sad

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  30. kakako petja

everybody has their own stupid reasons. it is a government with a language and customs and fashion and a history. you can't hate everything, can you? I hate the us because i see on tv all the stupid shit that happens there. but i love it because it has cheap burgers everywhere and cool roomy clothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.