1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Usopp's Character Development (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga Archive' started by Geese, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Geese Yep

Disclaimer: I'm a self-proclaimed HUGE OP and Usopp fan, so don't get pissy about me making this. I'm just a really really dissapointed fan-boy. :cry

Am I the only one who's pretty fucking dissapointed with Usopp's character this arc? He never EVER got his moment to shine. After getting his ass beaten by the Franky Family twice, getting defeated by Luffy, being used as a freaking sword, then getting tossed aside like a piece of trash when he finally gets his chance to fight he STILL doesen't get his moment. Not even once. And it's not the fact that he suffered all these mishaps that bothers me, it's the fact that we were lead to believe this was all buildup for some incredible climax at Enies Lobby. But no. It was just sadism on Oda's part to reassure our notions that Usopp is little more than the comedy relief and the 'pratfall' guy. SIGH. The worst thing about it all is that much of the aforsaid situations never even had to happen. I mean was there any reason why Usopp had have his ass kicked by Jyabura? It's obvious at this point that he could never have won that so why then was he put in that situation? Oda could have (and should have) put Sanji in those cuffs. There was NO reason why he had to get a 10 finger shigan.

And before anyone chimes in about it, I'm AWARE that he burned the flag and shot Spandam a few times but it's just not enough. Not after his character had his ass beaten for two whole damn years, to say nothing of the fact that's his dream/purpose is to become a freaking strong fighter. If any character did not deserve to be snubbed like that, it would be Usopp.

Tags:
  2. Kevintju Maybe it's time to get a set...

One of the reasons he left the strawhats IS because he is weak. Oda is trying to make the point "no matter how hard your dreams are, as long as you have your nakama, you can reach that goal". Oda PURPOSELY kept ussop that weak (throughout the whole story), just to make this point.

Then, when everyone thought that Ussop will shine in his fight with Jyabura, Oda made it clear: if you can't do it this way, you have to find another way to be a brave warrior, hence the words of sanji. "I will do what you can't, so you can do what I can't".

Ussop saved robin in his way while no one could have done that, so he definitely had a keyrole (apart from shooting spandam IN HIS FACE! from a far, he also shot the keys to franky to free robin).
    So... you think he didn't shine in this arc? I think he did. And he will from now on. His style.

3. Hitotsumami Hahahahahahah!

I would say something, but the post above me says it all.

Usopp is awesome.

4. 17Sounds Member

*Imagines Zoro handcuffed to Sanji fighting Kaku and Jyabura*

That would have been awesome!

5. Inactive Aokiji True Justice Seeker

I'm going to reserve final judgement on how Usopp was handled this arc until it's certain the arc is truly over. The BC ships could still give chase, which would give Usopp the chance to shine in his role as the ship's gunner/sniper. But for the moment at least I would say I'm in agreement with the original poster.

6. Jimbo New Member

I really love Ussop's fighting style, like in the good old Arlong Arc.
    I've never seen such a great battle of him again in the newer arcs..

Even Nami has the power to defeat a CP9 Member (with a weapon from Ussop of course), so Ussop could do that too. Ussop seems to be very strong in the battle with Luffy...

I understand this whole "if you can't do it this way, make it your way without fighting"-thing, but it sucks. Ussop is strong and smart enough to beat strong villains.

7. ez Jesus Christ

the reason as to why usopp left the crew is absolutely ridiculous and i dislike him even more for it. It doesn't change the fact that he's a key member of the crew that comes up with the semi-clutch plays and things no one else can do. He can be funny too, but I just don't like him. He shot the flag and pretty much set robin free so i'd say those two are his momemts. He's always been a coward(even though he eventually finds the courage to fight) and it would be silly if he all of a sudden got the balls to fight every strong opponent.

8. geG Very Rude

Usopp got a lot of character development, though. Just none of that was during fights.

9. Snakety69 Ding! Check Please

Exactly how many enemies has Usopp defeated by himself in the whole series so far?

10. Hitotsumami Hahahahahahah!

Chu
    Defeated the Mr.4 pair with the help of Chopper.
    Didn't do anything in Skypiea.
    Hasn't defeated anyone in Water 7 or Ennies Lobby.

So, as of 429 chapters, 3 people.

I still love Usopp. ^_^

11. lo0p Bounce with me

Don't forget the fact that he fought for Merry. And IMO you're downlplaying his role when he shot Spandam and kept them from taking Robin away. AND that he got the two giants to fight for his side. Also, you could argue that he got Franky to join the Strawhat's side too.

Also, you might argue that Sogeking is just comic relief but IMO he's fucking awesome and a great alter-ego to Usopp, the man. No one else got their own themesong :)

So what if he can't stand toe-to-toe against level 2000 (or whatever you call it) monsters. IMO Oda showed us that even if you're not strong like Luffy, Zoro, or Sanji you can still play vital roles. I just wish Nami would thank him for making that awesome weapon for her...

12. Hitotsumami Hahahahahahah!

I only said he had beaten. Usopp has done many things, and I love him for all of that. Usopp is pure awesomeness. ^_^

13. Half Empty Mantra

it is not so much fights but characther intreaction

14. Pimp of Pimps But prostitute to all

People are retarded. If ya'll havn't noticed, Usopp has had positive character development in every way besides fighting.

If you consider what Lufy and Usopp were fighting about, Usopp couldn't re-join the crew without making Luffy seem like a jerk if he had a super-fight this arc.

Usopp has had more time to shine than anyone else this arc, anyone. You all gotta look past just fighting. Also if you havn't noticed, Usopp realized just this arc exactly what type of fighter he is a sniper. Sanji helped him rediscover this. If it wasn't for him realizing this, he would have ran and tried to give the keys to franky instead of sniping them.

Mark my words, Usopp WILL get a fight next major arc. It';s gonna be Gyojin island, and the stronger version of chuu is waiting.

15. Hitotsumami Hahahahahahah!

Who said Usopp didn't get any character development? I love usopp. ^_^

16. omg laser pew pew! is feeling greedy

I thought the Usopp/Luffy fight was one of the most dramatic and most emotional moments in the whole series. It was really painful and I thought Usopp did incredibly well again someone far stronger

At that stage I reakon he could easily have beaten someone liek Don Krieg or Arlong

17. Mori` <blink><font color="#DAA520">Sunshine.</font></bli

Ussop fans should hold safe in the knowledge that at some point in the time, Ussop vs Van Auger will go down and that it'll be an awesome battle between 2 snipers.

anyway this arc, I think we've seen a lot of cool things from Ussop and he's actually had some decent character development, he just hasn't shown how much he's boosted his fighting ability which I think is most people's gripe.

Now it looks like he's going to be back with the crew we should see some proper stuff from him again.

18. Razor Ramon HG | (? ◡?)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

If Usopp did anything that is praiseworthy he would get the attention of many people and therefore become a Great Warrior of the Sea, and so accomplish his dream a bit too early. However I agree that Sogeking should have done much more :p

19. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

Usopp also beat Django =P. Hes had alot of Character development people, he always pulls through in a pinch when the straw hats need him most. He's saved there asses a few times.

1. The descent from Skypiea when the Squid deflated.

2. Zoro couldnt reach Django in time to save Kaya so instaed he cut the branch in Usopps way and Usopp saved her.

3. Making Nami's Climatact/Perfect Clima Tact. Without thoses Nami would of been destroyed by Ms. Doublefinger let alone Kalifa.

4. Using the Usopp "AAAaaaaaaaAAAA" to reach Enels ark Maxim for him and Sanji to save Nami.

5. Burning the WG Flag.

6. Getting those giants to help witht the assault on Enies Lobby.

7. Sniping robins keys to Franky.

8. Inspiring Luffy to defeat Rob Lucci.

9. Coming up with the plan to beat the Mr.4 Pair.

10. Beating Chu.

11. He saved(I think) Genzou from Arlong in Cocoyashi village when Arlong went into the village b/c Genzou had a gun.

12. He Has a fucking theme song!!!

13. Gave the Ussop pirates a noble reason to run away with kaya and protect her.

Theres a few more to I just need to find them. Usopp has shined alot.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  20. Weizen_Bier just blow me, i'm used to it

usopp just ownes, and he has the best aim in the whole series (except maybe for his father)

and he put up a hell of a fight against luffy (who will be the strongest freak in the entire series...)

he may not as battle strong as sanji or zoro, but he is pure ownage, i love his rubberband :p

everone who says that van augr is the better sniper, he has a sniper rifle, usop is sniping with a f***ing slingshot...

everyone who had a slingshot as a kid, will know how hard it is to hit something more then 20m away XD

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  21. tanukibeast bijuuslayer

exactly as soon as usopp gets a real gun he will be a sniping god.

22. Weizen_Bier just blow me, i'm used to it

i hope he stays with his slingshot, that's part of his character, owning through little not to powerful gadgets

(usops rubberband and usops noise for example)

23. Wrath Mourning

Winning a fight isn't character development. Character development is taking a stand even if it costs you your friends, then finding the courage to go back and help them because they need you.

24. Gunners .

Bingo.

I agree with this 100%.

This arc Ussop made great character development. In my opinion one of the highest, comparable to Robin. Winning a fight doesn't equal character development. It can help it but it isn't the only way a character will develop.

25. Geese Yep

You don't get it. It's not that he didn't get a fight it's that he had his ass kicked repeatedly for 2 and a half years only to end up THE ONLY one doing nothing on the side-lines. I didn't mind seeing him (and Sanji) off the battlefield in Skypiea but this is quite different. He desperately needed a fight this arc to restore his sense of worth and prove himself able to achieve his dream as a brave warrior of the sea. What annoys me to no end is the fact that he's going to suddenly forget he had a self-esteem issue and continue on the way he was before the Franky Family humiliated him for no fucking reason.

That's not what I'm referring to. I'm not bothered by the fact that he isn't winning fights (as that's not the appeal of his character) I'm irked that his whole sub-plot which revolved around the fact that he felt despondent over being weak has not been resolved despite going on for well over two years. It's incredibly anti-climatic and comparable to Zoro getting his ass kicked by another swordsman like T-Bone. Nine out of ten times I wouldn't mind seeing Usopp getting his ass beaten and cheated out of a fight but following all that build-up it's just inexcusable.

And how many enemies has Nami defeated prior to Calipha? Exactly. He's getting SNUBBED.

26. tanukibeast bijuuslayer

usopp didn't feel like he would be much help later on and that was what the sub-story was. he has now reaffirmed his position in the crew and oda will undoubtedly tie up all the loose ends of this arc before it's all over so don't worry.

27. Wrath Mourning

It wasn't about being weak. It was about being useless. And Ussop proved in this arc that he is anything but useless, for all the reasons that have already been mentioned. Ussop left the Straw Hats because he felt like he wasn't being considered a real member, that they didn't think he was anything other than a burden.

Who did Ussop save in this arc? He saved Luffy from Lucchi by inspiring him to victory. He saved Robin by getting the keys to her. He saved the Franky Family and Galley-La carpenters by converting the giants. And just now, he saved everyone by creating a smoke screen that blocked the entire Buster Call from targeting them.

He proved his worth in this arc, easily. Sure, he could have had a fight like everyone else to prove his strength, but that would have been too easy and too simplistic. Instead, Oda chose to have him prove his worth despite his weakness. That says more about him than if he'd just beaten a CP9.

28. Usopp's big moment was shooting Spandam. He didn't feel he was worth anything, then he assisted in saving Robin. This is when he regained his confidence.

One of the things about this arc is, even if Usopp didn't do too much, this story has brought out so many fan theories on what Usopp could have done that they alone show how valuable and useful Usopp is.

One of the reasons people think Usopp needs a fight is because, unlike the other strawhats, he isn't a melee fighter. This is why people see him as a weak fighter who needs a fight in order to improve his self-esteem. Usopp is at his best when he is hiding or at a distance. Take his fight with Chuu for example.

Hiding and snipping is what Usopp does. Usopp did what he does best in this arc.

29. Nice Gai Black Kamina

I have to admit Ussop did develop. He is a scaredy cat and will always be one. He went to Enies Lobby and faught he didnt have to. His best moment was against the Merman he really shined. Ussop cant fight plain and simple he doesnt have what it takes. But he is good at sniping you have to give him that. Look at Green Arrow and Hawkeye they roll will some big hitters in their world. Ussop is to be a great sniper and thats who he will be. I dont see puttting up a fight with anybody. His resolve is to assist and always will be.

30. Uzumaki~Kakashi Tomoyo's #1

He's good at hitting his targets, but he needs to learn the art of sniping. Half the battle is to get into a good position so that you can hit your targets without them hitting back. Ussop is golden if he ever figures this out. He may be smart and crafty but he's no battle tactician.

As for character development for Ussop I thought there was quite abit. He really came through when he needed to.