1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Vic Mignogna Controversy Thread

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by Spider-Man, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Keishin

Like 50 pages of nothing but gofundme nonsense.

2. SuperSaiyaMan12

...are you this far into denial that you can't even entertain that Vic doesn't really have a good case nor do you understand the law which Lightysnake keeps posting here on what Vic has to prove in court?

3. Keishin

These 188 pages were a joke. The mental gymnastics they're trying to pull with the FMA references is insane. So yeah, not sure what seeing this for what it truly is (Vic being constantly slandered and trying to get justice against narcissists after his fame bloomed with Broly) has to do with denial.

4. Lightysnake

Did you read the parts where Vic acknowledges that there were rumors long before they said anything and they weren't the ones who cost him work?

5. Roman

Flag:
    United States
    Catdank Faction:

You said yourself Vic is supposed to prove the allegations aren't defamatory. Casey's made his job very easy by showing accounts that are just rants and are very difficult to prove true. There's even a disclaimer I think on the tumblr page that says it's just a space for rants and the accounts aren't meant to be taken seriously. You're making it sound like all Casey needs is hearsay to prove that the allegations against Vic aren't defamatory when the allegations being nothing but hearsay is EXACTLY what makes them that.

6. Lightysnake

Vic is the one setting out the allegations in his initial Complaint. The Answer is providing an early rebuttal and establishing defenses. All Erick is doing there is showcasing that allegations have been around with Vic for a while. That's it. The problem with your position here? That's not what it was based on

There are several news articles, now part of the court records, that document the allegations against Vic. There are multiple people who claim Vic was inappropriate with them. Jamie Marchi claims he was inappropriate with her. Monica claims he tried to assault her. You say "they're difficult to prove true"...and so what? That doesn't establish them as false. The defendants have no burden in this case unless and until Vic proves falsity beyond clear and convincing evidence.

Your argument hinges that the defendants have something to prove first. Vic is suing for defamation, so he's claiming the allegations are false. The fact they're transcribed on PULL doesn't make them false, and proves nothing to the court. Can he prove he didn't assault Monica when they were alone in a hotel room? "It's just hearsay" isn't even true as Monica's personal recounting of what happened is, by definition, not hearsay.

The absence of physical evidence does not establish falsity and actual malice. You need much more for that. You might be able to get it if you depose everyone, put them on the stand and pray the jury buys it, but that's not recommended. Just to give you an idea how high this standard is, there have been cases where information was found to be false and negligently published, but it still didn't meet the 'actual malice' claim because it couldn't be proven defendants knew it was false. And he's got to do this to prove it's about 70-75 percent as a likelihood.

And I do reiterate...people saw this case and filed sworn affidavits (again, not hearsay) alleging what they saw Vic do. How many of them are lying? How many people are dedicated to destroying a stranger that they'd open themselves up to a perjury charge?

7. Lightysnake

Nick has decided it's a wise idea to....ramp up the rhetoric and show the deposition video from Ron Toye.

I cannot fathom what he's trying to accomplish with this. Also, Toye's deposition is making rounds an people are, of course, mocking him endlessly...Ty did not do a good job deposing him and Toye seems to have said pretty clearly he believed the victims, ergo what he said under oath is that it was not made with Actual Malice.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 1:34 PM
  8. Roman

Flag:
    United States
    Catdank Faction:

What I got from Ron's deposition:

> Do you recall making this tweet?
    > Objection to Form
    > No
    > Where it says "he has hurt people, and he knows it" can you tell me who the tweet is referring to?
    > Objection to Form
    > Vic Mignogna
    > How do you know?
    > Objection to Form
    > I'm not sure
    > Objection to Form
    > Do you have memory problems Mr Toye?
    > Objection to Form
    > That question doesn't make sense
    > Objection to Form

> Objection to Form

9. Roman

Flag:
    United States
    Catdank Faction:

@Fang

Objection to Form :hestonpls

10. Fang

Yeah Ron's disposition was pretty hilarious :lmao

11. Gordo solos

I have trouble imagining a professional lawyer tweet “tfw” but apparently anything can happen now

12. Fang

The lawyer in question, Greg Doucette is a moron, you shouldn't be surprised at anything he does.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  13. Roman

Flag:
    United States
    Catdank Faction:

Legend has it Casey is still telling everyone Objection to Form.

14. Roman

Flag:
    United States
    Catdank Faction:

> If ten people called someone a predator, would that be enough to establish his guilt in your opinion?
    > I don't know

So Ron is basically either saying he's incapable of formulating an opinion of his own, he's retarded, or he's been coached to give non-responsive answers.

Whichever it is, the jury isn't going to like it that someone who had been so verbal about Vic online is now effectively saying he has no opinion of his own, which makes whatever he says about Vic grossly unreliable.

15. Snowless

Isn't everyone coached to avoid questions they don't like?
    I thought that was commonplace.

16. Roman

Flag:
    United States
    Catdank Faction:

Here's the thing though. By saying he doesn't recall the tweets he made but still be able to comment on some of them, he's displaying a very inconsistent recollection of events, which already makes it difficult for a jury to believe what he says as truth.

Then there's all the hypothetical questions Ty asked Ron, and I know people like lightysnake are gonna jump on the cuck lightyear bandwagon and talk about how inappropriate it is to ask hypotheticals in to a fact witness. The problem however is that Ty has to prove malice and that the statements are defamatory, so how else is he supposed to gauge Ron's mental disposition when he spoke out against Vic?

By constantly answering "I dont know" to questions such as the one I mentioned, or "would you be offended if victims of sexual assault accused someone on social media of the assault," it shows inconsistency between the behavior he displays under oath and that which he displayed by making the tweets. Which further makes his statements and actions highly dubious to a jury and lends weight to the idea that the allegations are defamatory.

And i know people are going to say "but he didn't confirm that's his Twitter handle or that he made the posts" and that's the problem already. How does he know what some of the tweets are referring to if he didn't make them? Not to mention that if it comes out that the tweets do belong to his Twitter handle, he basically lied under oath.

17. Lightysnake

Ron gave a standard, prepared deposition. There's nothing usable by the plaintiff against him. Meanwhile, Beard is asking constant hypothetical questions of a lay (fact based) witness.

And he testified he believed Vic's victims under oath. While Erick is using objections to preserve them for testimony.

Seriously, this is how litigation works, and it's showing that Beard is wholly incompetent while Erick and Lemoine know what they're doing throughout. I've been in dozens of depositions and the idea of "OH, the jury will find actual malice because he didn't remember the tweets" is a stretch.

And we have a week to see if this even makes it to a jury (not counting summary judgement.

18. Lightysnake

'How else is he supposed to do it but hypotheticals?' You establish a basis to show he was lying. You establish he didn't believe the tweets. You establish malice towards Mignogna.

If you're going to suggest he committed perjury in response to a bog standard deposition, you're going to need to back that up. I'm not even sure how anyone could have issues with objection to form. It's basic depo practice that if you think of an objection to the questions and want to possibly use it later, you raise it there. I could see potential objections to 'argumentative' or 'speculation' there from the start.

Basically, Erick is being attacked for being a good lawyer and doing his job?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 9:21 AM
  19. Roman

Flag:
    United States
    Catdank Faction:

Easy. He straight up lied about his text messages to the owner of Kamehacon.

20. Lightysnake

21. Fang

Kind of hard to fly that with a defense when he's made literally hundreds of tweets then is basically saying, "Uh I can't remember making x tweet at x time".

22. Lightysnake

Yes, it seems perfectly reasonable when there are hundreds and hundreds of tweets, the memory of when you made each and every one might get a little foggy.

Even the judge thought this was tiresome recently. Unless Toye screamed "Yes, I lied, I knew I lied, I wanted to destroy him and I didn't care if I had to lie to do it", then his depo wasn't worth much against him.

23. Lightysnake

beard just....destroyed his entire case. he said "clearly obvious" Toye believes Vic is a predator.

Toye: "..in my opinion I believe (he's a predator…)
    Beard: "i understand why you did it…"

And then...he asks if Toye was angry when he heard Vic assaulted Monica before following it up with "so there was malice in your heart?"

This is not just incompetence. This is a stunning display of idiocy from Beard and a complete fucking failure to understand the law he's trying to sue under.

24. MrTeitoku

I would say it's a stunning display of lacking reading comprehension on your part

25. Lightysnake

Because based on my comprehension, Toye's depo is unremarkable and just drives home he believes Vic is a predator, and that he was angry when he heard Vic attacked his fiancee. Not helpful to a defamation case.

26. Keishin

Believes hearsay and starts slandering a man... Story of this case.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  27. Lightysnake

Hate to go all Planescape on this, but 'belief' is the silver bullet.

And what, he believed his fiancee about her attempted rapist? He's the bad guy there?

28. Roman

Flag:
    United States
    Catdank Faction:

Of course it is. Listen and believe! :fusain

29. Fang

Its the same tired out old and increasingly vapid shit over and over again from these people.

30. Lightysnake

In a defamation case against a public figure?