1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Vietnamese

Discussion in 'Foreign Languages' started by Lien, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Lien small and mighty

It depends on what accent you want to speak. The northern part of Vietnam have a very strong accent and the south have a very different one, Anyways I know that when people learn languages they rush through the basics and ask for the swearing straight away. Anyways I will post by request of what they want to learn. ^_^

EDIT:

I am not in teacher mode at the moment, zionforsell is much better at it then I am :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
    Tags:
  2. iaido Elitist Asshole

Where do the characters come from? They have an awful lot of Greco-Latin characters. I know that there was the French colonial period but I'm interested on where the alphabet came from.

3. Shadow Current JAV Idol

How do you say..........

Hello How You Doing beautiful? Whats Your Name?

4. Chopstickx Member

umm there arent really any "characters" in the Vietnamese language. it looks just like the English alphabet, there are just accent marks on some of them.

5. Kagalli Off-duty Fanart Hunter

Haha.... I know how to speak pretty fluent Vietnamese.... but my parents never taught me how to read or write, although I can read a little bit out of common sense.

6. Kiie-chan tsumetai yume~

I can speak Vietnamese but I'm not exactly fluent...the only thing I have trouble with is trying to find the right words to express myself...I can also read a bit but because I dropped out of vietnamese school when I was in grade 4, I can't remember how to write or spell anything besides my name...:sweatdrop

7. Lien small and mighty

The letters are normal english letters with the exclusion of F,J,W,Z but with extra added with accents.

A Ă ? B C Ch D Đ E ? G Gi H I K Kh L M N Ng Nh O ? Ơ P Ph Q R S T Th Tr U Ư V X Y

The pronounciation is very hard if you haven't got the mother tongue. But for foreigners I'd say it's easier to learn how to speak it the northern accent, although to me I can't understand with my ear because the speed and strong tone they use is really difficult for me to understand.

Anyways thanks for whoever repped me, but you didn't leave your name >.<

Snoopy - it depends who you're saying it to, and older girl or a younger girl? or an older boy or a younger boy....?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  8. Jun Banned

I want to learn. count me in. ^^

How do I say...

"I love you, sexy vietnamese hottie, you....!!" :D

9. Lien small and mighty

Anh Yeu Em - I love you. :love

10. Jun Banned

cool. thanks... :)

11. Procyon Loveless

How do you say "I hate pancakes"?

12. Lien small and mighty

"Tuoi ghec banh pankcake" - I would include the accents, but they cause confusion.

EDIT: shit I did make a mistake. - Tui not tuoi...wdf...lol, I'm losing touch, I think someone else needs to take over this thread

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  13. iLLESTxBOO Filthy azimiz ♥

i can speak vietnameese~ but not fluently ahahhaa. when i get a good phrase ill come back here :)

14. Haruka modkop

Geezus, please put the accents. Lol. The first word sounds like it means Smelly. :)

15. zionforsell Member

Hmm..Lien, are you sure you spelled that sentence right. I think it should be spelled as "Tui gh?t pancake", the word "b?nh" is uneccessary since 'cake' stands for 'b?nh' already. I originally from Vietnam even though I can speak and write English fluently(I'm having my English poems published). I also won the Best Vietnamese Teen Writer Of the Southern Vietnam (a pity that now my Vietnamese is not as fluently as before!) Anyway, I will say something about Vietnamese so anyone interested can measure.

The pattern of Vietnamese is like French since French was the one who created Vietnamese language. But it is much easier than French in speaking. Pronounciation in French can change due to some special occasion. But in Vietnamese, a word is pronouced as it is, no exception. Therefore, you can read a vietnamese passage even though you don't understand jack. (you need to know how to combine the alphabets though)

There is certain differences in Northen Vietnamese and Southern and Middle one. But they are a few nouns or just extra words: Not only accent, but the whole concept of a word or a sentence can change. But there is also a lot of foreign (mostly French) words which had become so common that it is 'vietnameselized'. Very few people say the 'sink' in Vietnamese (even I don't say it. It can be said as "bồn rửa mặt" if it is in the bathroom and "bồn rửa ch?n" if it is in the kitchen.), they call it 'la-va-b?' which is originally in French, only they speak it in Vietnamese accent.

There is two types of Vietnamese: Modern and Chinese-Vietnamese. You will use both in daily basic. They can stand alone or combined as a noun or verb or adj. They are written the same, but Chinese-Vietnamese sounds more complex. It was created by borrowing a word from Chinese and spelling it out in Vietnamese alphabet. This kind of vietnamese is very elegant and variable. You can combine words and create your own Chinese-Vietnamese word using this. A fluent Vietnamese speaker suppose to know at least 2'000 Chinese-Vietnamese words in common. While a fluent Vietnamese writer has to know at least 5'000 words. An award-winning writer (contestants) MUST know more than 10'000 and understand completely the way Chinese-Vietnamese words come together to form a noun or verb.

Also, the pronounciation of Vietnamese rather is unique. It cannot stand with English or any other language. That is why rarely Vietnames song can have foreign words in it. If it does, the song sounds awful (why? because the sound totally off-key!). It can have the chorus in another language though. But to sing: "T?i sẽ đi t?m the lover in my dreams" is to kill a song. (it means 'I'm gonna search for the lover in my dreams)

It is a very fascinating language and demands constant practice. Even I after 2 years of not practicing literature writing in Vietnames can get lost and confused. Good luck with the lessons!

16. Bleach Me d-_-b

Waa, she wrote alot!

ANyways, how do you say...
    Spoiler: ehh??
    FUCK, SHIT, ASS, BALLS and uhhh... TITS?

Only kidding...

Ummm, how do you say... Would you mind if I worshipped you like the Goddess that you are?

17. Lien small and mighty

lol well you guys help please, I've been really busy and I was too lazy to put it in >.<

At the moment - I have no luck, people are neg repping me ?_? not cos of this thread and the last time I read and wrote Vietnamese was last year XD - it's coming back though

18. Haruka modkop

Edit: Yeah, banh isn't needed. Becuase banh means bread itself.
    I was taught that the French brought the English alphabet to us, not the language.
    Because the english alphabet was easier to pronouce than the Chinese alphabet.

Heh, I was born in Vietnam too, where were you born?

19. zionforsell Member

French practically created our language using Latin alphabet which is also used in their language. English also has a French heavy influence (where do you think that 'z' came from? lol) They created the patterns of our writting system. We should compliment them on that. It is not that Latin alphabet is easier to pronouce, but it looks less complex than Chinese. Can you imagine us writting chinese now? lol it's gonna a hell of a lot harder. The first ever Vietnamese language was done with a little evolution from Chinese letters. But the French found it complicated, plus, getting rid of Chinese influence on us is also good for them. They wanted to westernize us anyway. (gotta thank them for doing that!)

I lived in Saigon. But I wasn't born in VN. I was born in Paris.

20. Lien small and mighty

I was born in Vietnam but came over to the UK when I was 2. ^_^

21. Kaleidovision 足で食べます '''-_-

Hey, just listened to this song called "Yoa Gongla" by Seelenluft,,, and after some searching I found out it's two vietnamese girls singing this song... I'm really interested what this song is about.

I can't provide you with the lyrics, as I googled as much as I could but nothing came up... but it's an easy to "find" song :wink ... but well, if that's too much trouble, I'd be happy already if you could just translate the title... "Yoa Gongla"

thanks

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  22. zionforsell Member

I am sure as hell the title "Yoa Gongla" is not in Vietnamese. It might just be a way of writing the pronounciation of the real words. Kind of like Japanese "Arigato", they sure don't write Arigato as Arigato on their paper!

23. Lien small and mighty

I even tried to look it up for you but nope. I don't think it's Vietnamese. The sound of it didn't sound right either. =/

24. RabienRose Mutual Love

the song title is not at all vietnamese. you probably spelled it wrong xD. or maybe its a different language that you think is vietnamese :p

25. Kaleidovision 足で食べます '''-_-

hmm... well then...

@zionforsell : it's arigatou to be specific :amuse , and yes I figured Vietnamese has it's own set of characters for writing... I merely copied the song title from the album's tracklist. Considering Seelenluft is not a Vietnamese band, they probably don't know how to write it either.

Anyway, I have no clue what Vietnamese sounds like,, I got my information from this article :

This paragraph in particular
    for those who don't speak French : "The Vietnamese singers on Yoa Gongla come from a cd-shop in Chinatown"

Hence my assumption the song was in Vietnamese...

I found a site that hosts a sample of it, maybe anyone out here can determine the language it's in?

Click here for sample (click "song vorh?ren" to start)

Thanks to all for trying :) Cheers

26. dylec .

after listening, i'd say it's vietnamese
    heh, this has to be the weirdest piece of music i have ever listened to
    a mix of 'cai luong' [sort of drama/opera singing] with pop-like music in the backgound - totally out of place!
    i've listened to many kinds of music vietnamese, but this is worse than the rap-wanabes :D

my god, if foreigners are exposed to this kind of 'music', none would think that vietnam has any form of true music

sorry if i go off topic on this :amuse

27. Lien small and mighty

lol it is Vietnamese. Hmmmm, when the hell did they mix cai luong with crap. -_-

28. Kaleidovision 足で食べます '''-_-

k,, that's two votes for crap... but does it mean something?

by the way,, since we're on the subject of crap, got any reccomendations for good Vietnamese music?

thx.

29. Lien small and mighty

It depends what type you'd want :p

Nhu Quynh, Man Quynh, Phi Nhung, Luu Bich, Truong Vu, - Those are people my family listen to all the time - I'll take it from them that it's good. :p

I don't really listen to Vietnamese music myself =/

30. Kaleidovision 足で食べます '''-_-

Thanks, I'll see if I can find those somewhere...

But about that one song, yoa gongla,, can't someone help me on the meaning of it?