• NBDContest
    Come enter in the NBD Banner Contest !
    Deadline for entries is February 4 at 12:00 pm UTC.
  • CC
    Come enter in this week's GotW and PotW!
    Deadline for both contests is January 24 at 9 pm UTC.
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Vikings [History] - ("History Channel wants that 'Game of Thrones' money.")

Garcher

Admanistrator
So how many more episodes?

I have to say I really don't like the direction the show has taken. I thought the conflict in England would be the true endgame (you know, Alfred earning his "The Great").
Instead this bullshit game of thrones between Ivar, Björn and Harald in which foreign forces completely unrealistically intervene. Harald who is supposed to be a great hero (I think?) is reduced to a pathetic beta rapist who is constantly jealous of the big, strong, horny, high testosteron Björn.

All of these forced plot twists suck, properly executing the obvious route would be a lot more satisfying

Last edited:

dr_shadow

Trust me, I'm a doctor
So how many more episodes?

I have to say I really don't like the direction the show has taken. I thought the conflict in England would be the true endgame (you know, Alfred earning his "The Great").
Instead this bullshit game of thrones between Ivar, Björn and Harald in which foreign forces completely unrealistically intervene. Harald who is supposed to be a great hero (I think?) is reduced to a pathetic beta rapist who is constantly jealous of the big, strong, horny, high testosteron Björn.

All of these forced plot twists suck, properly executing the obvious route would be a lot more satisfying

There's another 10 episodes left of what is supposedly the final season.

dr_shadow

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Now we have to wait till November for this snooze fest to end.

The only thing I like is how Olaf and Kjetill look batshit crazy most of the time.

What did you think of the depiction of the Rus this half-season? Do you think the show did them justice?

dr_shadow

Trust me, I'm a doctor
you don't have to be an expert to notice that Rus is completely exaggerated

I mean, the Vikings themselves are larger-than-life, but as a Swede I don't mind because the exaggerations are generally on the side of badass.

So I wasn't exactly asking if the portrayal is historically accurate (though that'd be interesting to know too), but rather if a Russian viewer finds this version of the Rus to be something they'd like to be associated with, or if they feel that their heritage is being disrespected in some way.

Undertaker

elect the dead
There is 10th episode? IMBD lied to me :wth

What did you think of the depiction of the Rus this half-season? Do you think the show did them justice?
They are just a plot device to threaten vikings, Oleg is how he is just to make Ivar uncomfortable. So, it's a failure depiction from the beginning, but I'm more concerned with bad writing overall this season.

The Runner

Duke of Inanity
I’m in the middle of Season 3 right now

it was interesting, but I can see it slowly devolve as time goes on. Side characters are pretty uninteresting as time goes on compared to Ragnar.

If the show concentrated on Latherga and the others as they are now, it’d be boring asf

Garcher

Admanistrator
final stretch of this has started at last

the writing was peak bullshit in episode 11 imo, just another Björn wankfest to make his death look good
weren't the vikings decisively beaten last time? Oh I get it, it's because Harald was no longer in charge. Now a fresh army of Vikings comes to help out the awesome Björn and out of a sudden the Rus get their ass kicked.

~Avant~

Eveningstar
It was explained that the other kings of Norway despite voting Harald in, didn't actually answer his call to arms. They did for Bjorn. I thought the episode was a great, a great payoff to one of the last remaining characters that was there from the very start. We literally got to see Bjorn grow from a young boy all the way to achieving legendary status. I personally loved it.

Garcher

Admanistrator
It's over. Even though this threat is dead I still want to give the series some final thoughts.

The whole Kattegat plotline was just the worst. I personally couldn't give a shit about it anymore. So is the first actual ruler of Norway(?) is now that lesbian witch? Whatever.

I was never a big fan of the Rus plotline, the ending of it was actually alright and for what it's worth it helped humanazing Ivar.

The final invasion of England was unspectacular and rather shoehorned. Alfred was build up for so long, then he just got trolled by Ivar for a bit again and didn't really beat the Vikings. Also I always found it weird how they kind of tried to portray Alfred's actor as more manly than he is.

I enjoyed Ubbe's voyage overall the most during these final episodes.

The ending in general: it really felt like they just wanted to stop here and not let it drag on any longer. Hvitserk ending up as Christian was pretty random. Ubbe and Floki watching the sunset together was pretty nice though and the most conclusive thing about it, I really felt that when Floki said that he would die soon. It really felt like Ragnar's age is over now. I would have liked it even more if Ubbe's importance had been built up more.

Overall the series lacked a clear story arc and a proper conclusion imo.
The potential was there though, it would have been nice if there had been more focus on how the Viking's world became less mystified as they learned more about the world, how they influenced the world and how the world influenced them, which concludes in Christian traditions replacing the Norse ones and effectively ending the Viking age. In the series this is only hinted by the King of Denmark turning Christian. If they wanted to fit the whole Viking age into such short time frame they should have gone through with it, though overall they should have stayed a bit closer to history (Franks/Rus sending huge fleets to Norway is just too absurd imo)

dr_shadow

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Thoughts from an actual Viking:

Spoiler:

* This show went on for at least two seasons (four years!) too long. They should have made the core arc of the story be Ragnar's personal journey from barbarian to Christian - the history of Viking civilization compressed into one person. The Sons of Rangar coming to avenge his death could have served as an epilogue, but now the "epilogue" ended up being the greater part of the show's running time. Overall I never liked multi-generational stories because it's hard to re-focus on a new cast of characters (The Romance of the Three Kingdoms suffers from this too). And here especially it felt like post-revenge there was no clear direction; things just kind of happened at random. Like, what was the point of Ivar's brief stint as god, in the grand scheme of things?

* As a history buff I'm still distracted by how they compressed like 300 years of history into two generations. Like, Floki must be the greatest explorer of all time, since he participates in discovering Great Britain, Iceland, and America - all in one lifetime! But fine, whatever, I get that maybe the sources aren't rich enough to tell a realistic story about just one person.

* Having the ultimate pay-off of the entire seven-year journey be the discovery of America seems like obvious pandering to the show's North American audience (the same is true of the obsession with England over other, non-English-speaking locations visited by the Vikings). As far as I know, Leif Eriksson did not think of the discovery of "Vinland" as the greatest event in human history - it was just another "-land" in the chain after Iceland and Greenland. The interactions between the Vikings and Native Americans also seems much more based on the Columbian encounter than what a realistic meeting of the two cultures would have looked like. We recall that the technological gap between the Vikings and Native Americans would have been much smaller than the gap between the Spanish and Native Americans, so probably neither side would have thought of the other as "savages". Maximum cringe was reached with "this land is not yours to claim" - she could have just looked straight at the camera for that one.

In conclusion, I don't feel the least bit excited for announced sequel show "" and don't see it getting any better or more coherent than this. I wish they'd just let this show rest.

Last edited:

dr_shadow

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Postscript:

It's always lovely when Gustaf Skarsgård (Floki) uses his native Swedish pronunciation of Viking names. For example "Rang-nar" instead of "Rag-nar".

Fierce

Meh
A lot of stuff felt shoehorned in, but I thought it was a solid send off for Bjorn, and the final episode had a certain poetry to it. The show was never as great as it could have been, least of all after Ragnar died, but it was worth the watch.

dr_shadow

Trust me, I'm a doctor
By the way, the east coast of Labrador (the part of North America they are most likely supposed to be in) is about 2000 km long, yet after drifting aimlessly for weeks (?), Ubbe's party still land within walking distance of where Floki landed.

Must be fate!

Top Bottom