1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Kei lovers gather!

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by Mr_Fxcker_M, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Mr_Fxcker_M

let's talk about visual kei. who are your favourie bands/artists? what do you like about VK? any related to VK please post!

My favourite VK bands are Dir en Grey, Gackt, Malice Mizer, L'arc en Ciel, and Silver Ash(though they are chinese). i love the unique combiantions of music and insturments, the songs are very attractive and interesting!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
    Tags:
  2. honEy.bladE

HEY! I'll talk VK with you ^___^! Ok, I like a lot of underground stuffs. I like Merry, The GazettE, kinda Miyavi (but he changed >.>), hide!!!, etto... have you ever heard of the band Exist Trace?? They're an all girl band! They're almost as good as any boy band out there :nod!! Well, I like a lot of bands and singers... it could go on forever :p !!!! but mai ALL time fav is hide!! He means a lot to me ;P! I like Diru too XD!

3. The Fireball Kid

Visual Kei is a mockery is of all good Japanese groups. It sucks shit.

4. chaosakita

I suppose it's okay. I like Nightmare, though.

5. Yakushi Kabuto

I like quite a lot, although I have a hard time distinguishing between visual kei and j-rock now because I haven't bothered to pay attention to how any of them look in the longest time. Bands I like include Inugami Circus Dan, Kagrra, Plastic Tree, MUCC, and Girugamesh.

6. honEy.bladE

Ok, I think I might be able to help. I'll try my best ><! VK is NOT a music style, it is only based on clothes, make up, and style. When you think about it, really simple :D! Bands started to try new looks and copying new styles that came in Japan! So the music is J-rock, but the looks is Visual Kei! I hope that helps a bit ^____^V!

7. azuken

Visual Kei is a term used to describe both the way a band dresses and the music they play. Visual Kei is usually a genre that sounds like modern day industrial music with use of screams.

Visual kei has even made their own style of scream (VK Scream). So STFU and go away.

8. honEy.bladE

XD? Maybe you should STFU and go away XD! It's a style. Then bands adapted it! VK scream? Can you tell me which bands actually use it? But whatever... this could be a waste of time after all.

9. chaosakita

FYI, Gackt and L'arc en Ciel aren't Visual kei bands. I think Azuken's right.

10. honEy.bladE

Oh yes! I agree with that part XD! GACKT will never be VK! He tries though. What do you think about the whole "super band"?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  11. Aruarian

Don't fucking double post. Just use the damn edit button.

12. honEy.bladE

yeah, i just realized that was there >.>! I don't really go on this thingy that much. Sorry.

13. Yakushi Kabuto

Is this always the case? I mean, wasn't Kagrra once considered visual kei because of how they dressed before they opted to dress more 'normal'? Yet, I don't really recall them implementing much screaming in their music. It is possible that I just didn't listen to the songs they have with rough things like yelling. And one thing I was never sure of, does visual kei only apply to indies bands? Once a band hits the majors, like Dir en Grey, it seems like they are referred to as a j-rock group more often. Or perhaps it is because they tone down the visual aspect of their group? I'm so out of the loop. :p

14. Aruarian

You know that bands often make use of MORE than one genre, don't you?

15. Okeaninai

Visual Kei is not, i repeat is not a musical style. it's a visual style.

This gets confused I believe because bands of similar musical styles sometimes/often take on similar Visual styles. Plus, a lot of "harder" rock bands take on the VK style, while some of the more softer, pop-ier or just plan not-so-hard rock generally does not.

Kagrra, is a good example, they used to embrace the VK style but not so much anymore (although they still do dawn the Kimono's, from my understanding - and they did for Jrock Revolution). They aren't hard rock at all, plus their VK is vastly different from most other VK styles. Now how many VK bands sound like Kagrra,?

plus, there are different types of VK, like the VK style An Cafe has. From what I've heard they can have some pretty rock style songs (and surprisingly dark lyrics sometimes) - their VK is different from a band like... Phantasmagoria, as well as their music type.

and by the way, Gackt is still put in this VK category. I hear this is due to the fact that he changes his look constantly. This could also come from the type of stage shows (concerts) he has. Another example: recently, for the singles for Redemption and Returner, every time he goes on a show to perform it, he wears that particular costume for the performance, but for the 'talk' part he's in non-vk, or "normal" if you want to call it that, dress. So, he is still VK, just maybe not as much as other bands.

further more, some pop groups also embrace the VK style.

so once again, Visual kei is not a music category.

16. honEy.bladE

17. Akira Hamasaki

[forgive the flame you are about to see here :) ]

1. The creator of this Thread is a genuine retard.
    2. Half of you don't even know what Visual Kei is..
    3. Okeaninai, thank you.
    4. Alicenine, Gazette, Rentrer en soi, Phantasmagoria,蜉蝣, 176biz, Soroban, Sadie, Ayabie, Aile, Vidoll, and D are just some of my favorites. I know some of them can be classified as Oshare, but to me it's all the same.

18. honEy.bladE

Isn't oshare still a type of visual O.O? There's a whole bunch of different types of it, right ^___^?

19. Okeaninai

^_^;; always glad to share jrock info when i can. Hopefully it clears some misconceptions up.

ah yea, and for VK bands I like (including bands that don't really embrace the vk style anymore, or not as much. and not in order):
    Gackt, Malice Mizer, the GazettE, Miyavi, D, D'espairs Ray, LM.C, Kagrra, Dir en grey

also really getting into Vidoll Duel Jewel and (a little more slowly) Alice Nine. Also looking into Merry, Guilgumesh (sp?) and somewhat Phantasmagoria

ah yea, honey.blade, oshare is also a type of visual, and there are different types of vk. i'm not sure of how many though..

20. Yakushi Kabuto

Okeaninai - Ah thanks for cleaning that up. As I said, I barely pay attention to classifications. The first line I quoted confused me, I knew VK referred to visual elements, but I was never sure if it was a matter involving how the group sounded as well.

Speaking of different types, what exactly are the different classifications of visual kei out there? I think Oshare kei has a brighter look, like hm...Kra? What are the other classifications out there? Eroguro is one...yes? Like...MUCC? Is it the same as Angura kei, or is it another subset?

21. Okeaninai

to answer the whole indies thing - it seams like bands that were VK when they started out eventually stop doing VK when they are well established. Either stop or at least calm it down tremendously. Even then, from what I can tell they are still mentioned when people talk about VK just on the fact that they were. Plus, if they still embrace it in some way or another (even in really small ways) they can still be talked about when talking VKjrock. That is just from obervation and there maybe room to aruge that point.

classifications - now this is where I don't have a whole lot of knowledge on. Oshare Kei is the style that AN Cafe embraces, that i know. Iv'e seen some people say Alice Nine's look is also Oshare Kei. for Kra, I remember reading something about their VK style but i don't remember it mentioning Oshare - but my first guess is that they would also be Oshare, but iv'e not seen a whole lot of thier looks so I could be off on that assumption. I belive yea, oshare is charaterized by brighter colors, bright, cute accessories may also be part of it to, but i'm not sure, that might be more decora....

there are quite a few out there, as there's lots of sub fashions in Japan, though I think only a few are actually used in Jrock VK style. For instance, i've never seen a jrock band embrace ganguro. (and hopefully i never will). I've never heard of Angura... but all of those would be a subdivision of Visual Kei.

when i get more/better information on the classifications and different types of kei used in jrock i'll post here.

22. honEy.bladE

ever heard of that VK sceam that person was talking about O___O? anyone?

23. maximilyan

whats VK? please post a youtube link so i can listen.

24. honEy.bladE

I think you are talking about Jrock XD! You want to listen to Jrock!