1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

W. Bush wanted to bomb Al Jazeera

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Le Male Absolu, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Le Male Absolu

Flag:
    France
    Two men in court over "Jazeera bombing" leak

LONDON (Reuters) - Two men appeared in court on Tuesday accused of leaking a secret document which a newspaper said showed that U.S. President George W. Bush wanted to bomb Arabic television station Al Jazeera.

The hearing came a week after the Daily Mirror reported that a government memo said Prime Minister Tony Blair had talked Bush out of bombing the broadcaster's headquarters in Qatar in April last year.

The White House has dismissed the report as "outlandish" and Blair denied on Monday receiving any details of a reported U.S. proposal to bomb Al Jazeera.

Defendant David Keogh, a civil servant who used to work at the Cabinet Office, was charged with making a "damaging disclosure of a document relating to international relations".

His co-defendant Leo O'Connor, once a researcher for a former member of parliament, was charged with receiving a document which he knew, or had reason to believe, was protected against disclosure by the Official Secrets Act.

The two spoke only to confirm their personal details during a 15-minute hearing at Bow Street magistrates' court in central London. The case was adjourned until January 10.

Advertisement
    Falk AdSolution

The Daily Mirror said the memo came from Blair's Downing Street office and turned up in May last year at the local office of Tony Clarke, then a member of parliament who had employed O'Connor as a researcher.

Clarke handed the document back to the government.

The paper quoted an unnamed government official as suggesting Bush's threat was a joke, but added another unidentified source saying the U.S. president was serious.

Al Jazeera, which has repeatedly denied U.S. accusations that it sides with insurgents in Iraq, has called on Britain and the United States to state whether the report was accurate.

The government's top lawyer warned media organisations after the Daily Mirror story that they would be breaking the law if they published details of the leaked document.

Al Jazeera says that, if the Mirror's story were true, it would raise serious doubts about the U.S. administration's version of previous incidents involving the station's journalists and offices.

In 2001, the station's Kabul office was hit by U.S. bombs and in 2003 Al Jazeera reporter Tareq Ayyoub was killed in a U.S. strike on its Baghdad office. The United States has denied deliberately targeting the station.

National Debt Clock

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
    Tags:
  2. TDM

Huh, interesting. Of course they would deny it of course, so no answer can be accurate.

3. Son_Pan

until i see this piece of information on a major newsbroadcast such as CNN, I will believe it. Although I doubt that President Bush would bomb Al Jazeera. He would at least have a good reason to. Even though i may be Democratic. well. i'll leave it at that.

i dont doubt the scandal, though.

4. Mousowi

All I can say is I hope it's not true, I was hearing rumblings about this about 1 or 2 years ago that they were deliberately targeting news organizations. Whether I support bush or not were already in this and we can?t leave without causing irreparable damage, so we really don?t need any more bad publicity.

Bombing a broadcasting outlet regardless of bad ethics in reporting news is completely unjustifiable and without good reason.

5. Le Male Absolu

Flag:
    France
    Tony Blair prohibited all english media to said more about this

6. Son_Pan

which is why i have stated that i am democratic. which is also an alternative of saying, i do not support bushes ideas at all. but he isnt a complete idiot, therefore, he would at LEAST have a good reason to do it. you took my idea the wrong way. if you add more THOUGHT into my statement, you might understand what im getting to.

7. Mousowi

Maybe if you had had put more thought into your statement misunderstandings wouldn't happen. Nowhere in your statement do you clarify that you meant that he would have some alternate reason for bombing Al Jazeera then their views. Simply saying your democratic does not explain this.

8. Nemesis Moderator

Flag:
    Sokovia
    I guess if bush reasoning for it (if the reports are true) is this your with us or against us BS he likes to go on about (i wonder if he ever heard of the word neutral when it comes to conflicts but that is not needed here.)

Personally i dunno if it is true or not that he wanted to bomb the Al Jazeera HQ and either way would not surprise me. I mean their HQ is in Qatar an US ally but i doubt there is any limit to which Bush may go to get his way in this war.

9. JayG

Al Jazeera is probably the only station in the world who can get away with airing broadcasts of MURDER. Are you kidding me? Are we supposed to believe that they really have no information on where these video feeds come from?

What? Do the terrorists put on Harry Potter's invisible cloak, walk to their station, drop off the tape, then leave with no one noticing them?

10. Master Scorpion

If he bombed that city, how many ppl would die,including children,women,and old citizens.

11. TimCat

Well if you havent noticed, CNN and FOX both are hardcore Repuplican stations, and would sooner promote gay marriage and abortion than run an article stating that the Bush Administration wanted to lessen unbiased "REAL" media in the Middle East by whatever means necessary.

12. TimCat

If you get a letter in your mail via USPS, can you tell me where its been, or where it came from if it didn't have a return address? Give me your address, I'll mail you something without my return address, and we'll see if you can figure out where I sent it from.

13. Aruarian

I wouldn't be surprised if he did it anyway.

14. TimCat

Why wouldnt he? He gets away with everything else :mad

15. illusion

That still doesn't change the fact that they get away with showing 'innocent' people being murdered. I'm not saying they deserve to be bombed, but somebody's got to do something about this station.

16. TimCat

Why should anything be done to them? It's the Arabs countries. And this is what the Arabs want to see. And just an FYI, they show just as many 'innocent' Iraqis being killed/maimed/whatever as they do 'innocent' non-Iraqis. So it's still an unbiased publication if you ask me.

17. illusion

I guess you're right, I still don't agree with them showing murders on T.V., whether it be Iraqis or non-Iraqis, but hey it's their country, so to each his own. :sad

18. Megaharrison Retired Staff

That report is so bogus it isn't even funny.

Even so, I wouldn't mind Al Jazeera being bombed...Make it more useful by turning it into a parking lot or something.

19. illusion

20. Id

Maybe bush is looking for weapons of mass distructions that Whats his face left behind for safe keeping.

21. Peliqua

I'd bet even pretzel factories the world over, after he nearly choked to death on one.

22. Le Male Absolu

Flag:
    France
    I don't like your information so i kill you.

It's that if Bush really want to bomb Al jazeera

For France it's :

You don't thinks like me, so you are my enemi, i use media to increse francophobia in my country.

23. JayG

Japan has a population of "closet pedophiles", since that's what they want to watch, does that mean they can show that on TV?

Same rule should apply for beheading people on national tv.

24. yummysasuke

Bush would bomb the whole world if he could. He's so bloody insecure!

25. Last of the Uchihas

I have no doubt that he planned to bomb that station, I mean, its not like the US have bombared things by "mistakes."

That's why i don't watch Fow New or CNN.

I watch news from other countries.

You wouldn't believe the shit US press edited when the attacks started in Iraq.

26. sonnie_skies

hahahahaha. it's a bit demoralizing that when your president almost loses his life to one of history's greatest snack foods, it's splashed all over the news within five minutes. it's even better that a man almost died and people think it's hilarious.

27. maya_slash

Of course he would want to bomb them. He's like the a little kid, he wants to destroy anything he doesn't like.

28. Master Scorpion

Maya slash are you a member of Al Qaeda??

29. Zhongda

i really doubt it.
    Al jazeera psycologically makes the opresed Arabian person vent out.
    In the middle east ,gov'ts are corrupt and classes still exist. Iraqies resent the precence of foreign (sp?) soliders in their country.

These things make your random middle eastern get pissed of! they would feel like that nobody is taking action to defend their rights.
    Al-jazeera constantly Discuses these problems, almost extinguishing the extreme opiinons of these middle easterns.

even if Bush did say it, he was most likley joking.