1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

website Noob

Discussion in 'Tech Hub' started by SNX, Sep 29, 2006.

1. SNX

i was thinking of making a website similar to narutofan but i'm completely an idiot in this field so i was wondering if anyone could tell me where to start?

Tags:
  2. Kero-Chan

I suggest you go to google and search for some tutorials.

Start off with .html sites, then go to .php if you want.
    Php is more advance and more easier once you learn it, but Html is also good since you need html skills to do php.

These are pretty easy to learn but take a lot of time. Unless you are majoring in it I wont suggest you do it anyways. It might be cool with your own website but it sucks sometimes.

3. MechaTC

well...using something like what kero chan said is the traditional way, but if you want to make a site as professional as NF.com right away, then you're going to need help. A new web technology is surfacing that is making website design easier than ever. All you have to worry about is making the look and feel of the site. You don't have to worry about complicated programming and such for the backend part. for that you just need a content management system like Joomla.

read over the html tutorials, specifically ones on making layouts for webpages with tables.

then go and read up as much as you can on . download that and install it on your server (joomla). You need a basic understanding of html in order to use joomla effectively.

trust me when I say it's worth it and you don't need to go through all the trouble NF has making its crap from scratch.

4. Smitty

Uhh have you ever configured a high-end CMS? I have..its definately not something for html newbs. I had to code XML, HTML, some PHP, set up links ot my databases...And porting everything over so it would work...wow that was a pain

5. MechaTC

I used joomla and it's easy as hell. I don't know xml or much php. All i know is basically how to read it to find out where to put my html (hence a basic understanding).

It's especially easy if he gets a host with a one click install of joomla.

That eliminates all the hassle of doing those database namings and such manually.

I don't know which "high end" cms you're talking about. Joomla is as high as I go and it's perfect for an anime site which is what i'm guessing he's making (plus it's free). I easily made a custom site in joomla that works effectively without bugs with nothing more than html and editing the css file of my layout.

A lot of website businesses are starting to use these great free cms's to set up easy to use backends for their clients.

6. NaraShikamaru

Wow, Joomla looks cool. I might try it myself sometime. The way i make sites is the basic and boring HTML. I dont even know much HTML. But using such things as Dreamweaver makes the job 10x easier.