1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

6. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Weed, legalize or not?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Tsukiyomi, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

Marijuana

Can anyone give me a good reason why marijuana is illegal? I was reading an article on how some people want to increase the penalty for possession and use, but it got me thinking. What is really so bad about marijuana?

In comparison to cigarettes, marijuana is a godsend. In possibly 10,000 years of use marijuana has yet to kill anyone through use alone, cigarettes cause a myriad of diseases, shorten your lifespan, yellow your teeth, are addictive, expensive and cover a lot of internal organs in tar. Weed is not addictive (there is no comparison to cigarettes), cheaper (hell you can grow it in your basement) and is no more impairing than alcohol.

Well I?ll stop there until I get more input.

Tags:
  2. RyuusaBakuryu Dominus

i agree man, i've heard dozens of anti marijuana ad's saying how you kill people when you're high, about how somking one joint is the same as 10 cigarretes, about how its a gateway drug, bs, these are all just generic ad's condoning it, heroine and cocaine are WAY more dangerous, the only way i can see that it MIGHT cause you to kill someone is if you're driving, and even then it depends on the quality of the stuff you're smoking, like my cousin, i was talking to her at a hospital a couple of days ago (my aunt/her mom was there because of a tumor of a completely different cause) she asked me if i ever had smoked, and i said no, i hadn't she asked me if it was because i was against it and i said no, more like because the opportunity never came up and i dont know where to get it easily, she told me about the first time she tried it, like 3 years ago, but the problem was that she smoked Hydro (very high quality marijuana for people who dont know) and she told me how she was driving, and she was all paranoid because she had just taken like 3 puffs, she thought she was gonna crash, but she didnt, basically what she told me was that she did it just to relax, and how when she did, it was only 2 or 3 puffs and that was it, it wasnt like "OH IM GONNA SMOKE THIS ENTIRE BAG OF WEED" and she'd only done it 4 times in the past 3 years, so no, it isnt addictive, but while she was telling me, it wasnt like like she was telling me to try it, or not try it, maybe we should spend more time educating people on stuff like this rather than starting all these anti-ads like saying how "bad" it is

3. ChaochroX Devil of Chicago

i agree completely weed isn't at all addictive and the only people it could kill are people with asthma. I guess it can be addictive if you have an addictive personalaty for instance people who are addicted to pie it's just somthing that people enjoy so it can be posesivly addictive. It wasn't a gateway drug for me either i've used weed many times and i don't want to try any other drugs. bottom line those anti drug people just lie to get their way.

4. 200 IQ Naruto-kun.com-Best

ciggarettes is a culture, has been around for a long time.

Marijuana makes you have slow reflexes = accidents.

5. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

6. Yoshin Yama Tsuyoi

The main problem with Marijuana is people's conceptions of it. Numerous studies have proven that it is healthier than smoking cigs (by far) and rollies (a little better than cigs) and that the imparing effects of alcohol, including disorientation and the whole indestructability complex are substantially more pronounced than they are in pot.

7. 200 IQ Naruto-kun.com-Best

who ever the hell said alcohol is a fucking moron

alcohol is a culture thats been around for 10 thousand years. dipshit, industry makes so much money offa it and when they try to ban alcohol before.. it DIDNT work. so, shut the hell up faggot

8. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

listen here, i was just making the argument that alcohol causes the same slow relxes that Marijuana does, now if your gonna start name calling and flamming, the admins will surely ban you, the debate corner is a place where ppl debate topics while respecting ppls opinions, understand?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  9. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

Dude, you really make yourself look stupid when you have to resort to childish namecalling.

Guess what, Marijuana could very well be older than Alcohol, god only knows how long indian tribes and such smoked it before we came over here.

The point is that there are far worse things than weed that are legal, so why not legalize this harmless drug? Hell, you could tax it and use that to balance the budget a bit.

10. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

very good point. legalizing marijuana and putting a tax on it(though highly unlikely to occur) could very well balance the budget.

11. SoulFire .....Nah

Marijuana isnt illigal over here XD So i dunno XD

12. KillerShinobi Member

yeah, i agree weed is not harmfull at all...you kill people yea right the worst my friend did while he was high was sit down for a couple hours watching comedy ccentral, how does this hurt someone? i saw people are funnyer when high lol and yea alcohol give you slow refelxes and makes you stupid ass well (not saying weed doesnt)..weed is much better...if they are going to keep cigs legal i say make weed legal! =p

13. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

14. blind51de Banned

Indeed. Every time I read or hear something about weed causing TEEN PREGNANCIES or CAR ACCIDENTS, I cannot help but laugh. Did someone say "Alcohol"? More popular, more widespread, more... yes... INDUSTRIOUS. AND HANGOVERS? PSH! Why should I have to build my liver up to accept it?
    IT. IS. WORSE. And the only reason it isn't illegal is because it HAS been around longer. And millions upon millions keep its industry going. Same thing with cigarettes, but they're just extremely addictive.
    If weed were legalized, and it had time to gain favor, it would rival alcohol and tabacco without any doubts. INDUSTRY. Hash bars, like those in Ponem's lovely city of vice, would be the new bars.

The only drawback to weed is its tendency to cause highs with second hand smoke, that'd make it a bit hard for staff to concentrate. Plus there's the whole family situation, with children at risk. But shit, that ought to go without saying.
    Yeah, I drink on occasion. But I'd take the bowl any bloody day I had one offered.

15. Yoshin Yama Tsuyoi

Yeah, passive pot smoking could be a problem. Over here it is legal to have 2 plants (or was it one...) but it isnt taked as it isnt legal to sell.

BTW if they ever did legalise it over therer likely as not the price would dip momentarily as everyone got into the act of selling it, but would then rise as the governemnt put more regulations into growing + distribuing. Chances are it wouldnt bring too much money in.

16. Ketsueki Bushy Haired Ninja

Idealy you shouldn't be smoking anything, like me =]

Although I do like a good drink-a-thon with my mates, but I dont have a car so no worrys about getting in a car crash, maybe causing one by crossing the street at the wrong time though =/

=P

17. NocturnalMe On Sabatacle

LOL! Looks like everyone here wants to legalize it (as do I)! There are numerous substantiated arguments for legalization (some already mentioned by the above members). I've never really heard a well-thought out good reason for pot to be illegal. Just think of what taxing it would do for our economy! - It actually used to be taxed and legal in the US (and so did psylocibe mushrooms) and the only reason it became illegal was some crazy government dude's power trip.

If you haven't seen the 1999 documentary Grass should see it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  18. marz76 Blah, Blah, Blah!

Agreed it should be legalized and Taxed... We need some regulation over pot anyway.... It would definately help generate income, and at the same help cut the prison population for all those Marijuana related crimes...Thus resulting in more money for holding real criminals...Murders, Rapist, etc, etc.

It would also free the way for the practical uses of hemp as well..

19. Jaggan Guest

Ah well..i don't care. i don't use the stuff, i'm messed up enough as it is...and it's legal here... So if i desire i can blow my fuckin brains out.. So I dun care.

20. hanabishi Perma Newbie

Heh, right. Which studies were those? Were these studies published in peer reviewed journals? Because there have been studies that show that one joint has about 10 times as much tar and carcinogens as 1 cigarette. The only reason it isn't considered as bad is because generally people smoke more cigarettes on average than joints.
    There are THC receptors in many places all over the human body (eg. heart, gonads, liver, frontal cortex...). THC stimulates cannabinoid receptors in several regions of the brain. Two types of these cannabinoid receptors affect the Ca and K channels and therefore cause negative, as well as positive effects on the body. (I'm not sure how many people understand action/graded potentials. I'm sure action potentials are basic biology taught in high school).
    The positive effects are good for people with cancer, glaucoma, asthma, and some motor disorders.
    The negative effects includes; inteference with concentration and memory, distortion of time perception, as well as altering visual and audio perception.

Marijuana is an addictive drug, not just a physical addiction (cannabis is a cannabinoid receptor agonist), but a psychic dependence. You might say a psychological addiction isn't so bad, but try telling that to someone who has a psychological addiction to the person they date and end up having withdrawl-type symptoms after they break up.

In places (Like BC) where marijuana is barely considered illegal (they police only go after those growing it), then eventually marijuana doesn't produce a good enough effect and these users decide to try something harder (could possibly be due to social pressure) and then they move on to crack, or crystal meth. With these harder and more expensive drugs there is an increase in violent crimes, thefts, and homelessness.
    The correlation between marijuana and harder drugs isn't very high. And the recent increase in drug activity in my town could possibly be due to the homeless being booted out of Vancouver when Vancouver decided to clean up their streets. But either way, any drug that binds with receptors and causes the brain to either produce excess or inhibit reuptake (so the neurotransmitters stay in the synapse longer) of a neurotransmitter will cause withdrawl, because the body will naturally produce less neurotransmitter.

21. blind51de Banned

Weed wouldn't BE a gateway drug if you didn't have to go to or contact circles of people who deal harder drugs.

22. Hatake_Magus omg so h0t

omfg you should run for president.

23. Naruto_Uzumaki Just here...

it makes the world go round and round
    (well thats what everybody tells me :D )

24. RyuusaBakuryu Dominus

Marijuana's bad mmkay? (does obviously bad impression)

25. That Guy Sarcasm is fun

Its not legal in this country becuase the government has deemed it as bad, just like muslims and the french.

So if you like weed, you like terrorists and stinky people!

26. santosj The End is Near

Smoking

Anything you smoke is harmful to your body, think about it. You are taking in CO2 instead of oxygen which is never good. You wouldn't walk into a fire and start breathing the stuff in, would you?

Problems
    • Is Addictive (as stated above)
    • Harms the lungs (smoking)
    • Impair Short-term Memory, verbal skills, and judgement
    • Distort Perception (what do you think being high is?)
    • Weaken Immune System
    • Affect the baby while pregnant
    from Link removed

Believe what you will but any drug or substance can become addictive. It may not have additives that make it more so but the human body can more than make up for that.

Pregnancy

I think what they are trying to say is that marijuana can affect your judgement just like alcohol. If you are high and some guy isn't high yet, then who is to say that you won't say no?

Prohibition on Alcohol

Once upon a time Alcohol was Prohibited, but the little mafia fairies decided they could profit off the little venture and the cash came rolling in. The police trolls didn't want to mess with the powerful fairies and also because the fairies paid hard cash. The point is, is that it was impossible to control the problem and created a bigger problem than what they started with.

Secondhand Smoke

I don't wish to hang around smokers and I don't care to be high from second hand Marijuana smoke. You would create a society of the impaired.

27. That Guy Sarcasm is fun

In a perfect society, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, prescription drug abuse, and hard drugs wouldn' exist. But it does.

Also, addictive is such a great word. Everyone has an addiction if you take it into context. We're all addicted to Naruto and anime are we not? Some people are addicted to video games, music, work, sex, fighting, driving fast, the list can go on and on.

To the above poster: If I mix my weed with brownies and eat them is that better? I mean no secondhand smoke and I'm not harming my lungs (THC's harmful effects are reduce to practically nill when eaten).

Also the pregnancy thing is hilarious. It's your own fault if you get into a situation like that without weighing the consequences before hand, and believe it or not most girls weigh the consequences beforehand. Peer pressure is something more serious. I've seen more girls realize they were date raped or had unprotected sex through pressure from their partner rather than weed. Of course that's personal experience talking not facts coming from......some website......

Also, ask anyone who goes to clubs, the eaisiest way to get someone to come home with you is through alcohol. Alcohol is the main proponent of date rape, one night stands, and girls gone wild. And anyone who smokes ANYTHING or drinks alcohol during pregnancy will do it whether or not the substance is legal, its just people will do those things.

Yes weed does impair your vision, time perception, memory and other motor functions. and so does alcohol (I hate using the weed is no worse than beer arguement). What's funny is most of those impairments are far greaer under the influence of alcohol.

The immune system thing is correct, but that is also helped by the fact that smoking weed usually messes with your body's internal clock (i.e. sleeping habits, eating habits and so on).

And this society is impaired already, look at the statistics of car accidents from drunk driving. And the fact that Bush was elected and re-elected! (insert rimshot here)

The fact is most people who smoke weed are not criminals, evil-doers, or killers. Most people use it as 'home remedy' for illnesses, or just a method to relax after a hard days work. Heck some people use it as a 'mood' adjuster, to get them in the right mood for the day (although that idea has always sounded wierd to me). And the amount of people who use the drug steadily increases year by year. Not to say tht makes it right.

As a casual pot smoker, I'm undecided on whether or not weed should be legalized. To me it pactically is becuase it is so easily acessable. Legalization would probably just detach a small amount of the stigma that conservatives desperately cling to. not all potheads are stoner dipshits that are vegan, listen to phish, and are hippies. also all pot-smokers are not 'gangsters' like the rappers say. It does not make you a volatile person that kill and murder for it. Pot also isn't for everybody as it has different effects on everybody

And for the last time, IT IS NOT A GATEWAY DRUG. I've known career pot-smokers who are in their 70s (and not dying of lung cancer btw) who have joked about waiting for when they will move onto the 'harder stuff'. the only thing that will make you try hard drugs is your curiosity.

I'm definetly not saying that everyone should start smoking pot now (that would make it harder for me to find :)), just that people who smoke pot shouldn't looked down upon as much because many more people do it than you think, and the stigma of 'under-achiever' or 'slacker' should be reserved for people like myself, the ones who have earned that title :)

I'm done.....

28. Raxell Sand's Blade Ninja

marajana doesnt hurt ur lungs NEAR as much as ciggarets cuz the 'rets have all sorts of addatives and shit in them that produce tar that sticks to ur lungs as well as the toxins that your injesting that cause cancer.

the way i see it: ciggarets cause cancer, weed cures it. think about that next time u go out for a smoke

"God made weed, Man made ciggarets.....who do YOU trust?" (feel free to quote and answer)

29. aLkeMiSt Curious

30. uchiha Femmes Dig Me

Lol an interesting debate topic... honestly I dont know of anyone here who smokes pot even though I do know people who do drugs which is surprising lol. And I dont know jack about weed lol... but I do know that everything has its side effects.

To legalize or not to legalize... zat iz zee westion~