1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

5. The KCC is hosting a Short Story Contest!
    Entries are due by July 9th at 2:30am UTC!
    Dismiss Notice

Were you happy with Shinn's Character Development?

Discussion in 'Gundam' started by Jikes, Oct 11, 2005.

Were you happy with Shinn's character development?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2005.
  1. YES

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. NO

19 vote(s)
    76.0%
  1. Jikes why does no one listen to me?

Its a simple yes or no, "were you happy with Shinn's character development?"

post some rants about how Fukada jibbed us out of a possible good character

Tags:
  2. Mindless Ergo Proxy

I could have liked Shinn. They made out gundam characters in the past as real brats in the beginning, that wouldn't listen to reason. But, the fundemental difference with thoes people (Kamille and so on), is that they changed troughout the anime. Shinn remained the same from episode 1 to 50. Sure, he had his ups and downs, but I guess the average of thoes ups and downs would still ammount to the same brattyness in the long run.

Shinn could have been the main character. But then, they would have had to make a new antagonist (since Shinn, together with Rey, Gilbert, etc. acted that role). Who would that be? Kira, Athrun and them? This was one of the great flaws with Destiny I think that created this great conflict. They had two sides, who both played a great part in the story, for good or bad.

In past gundam animes, they have had the AEUG, or similar organisations fight. But, here they only had this one faction to focus on. Not two of them. It was much easier in Zeta Gundam (for example), because there they had the Argama and all of its associates in the AEUG, that fought against the Titans.

In Destiny, they mixed in ZAFT, where Shinn, the supposed main character was. They had ORB, where the old cast from SEED was. And they mixed in the LOGOS. They had ORB act as a protagonist at times and ZAFT as it at times. LOGOS was the constant antagonist. But, ORB and ZAFT also acted as antagonists at times, depending on what group they focused on at the time (ORB or ZAFT).

This put strain on the characters, and Shinn, in the end got diminished into something not worth calling a real character.

3. Scorpio3.14 mmmmm....pi

What character development? <-----That about sums it up.

4. EndlessRain KB24

Same here, what a shame. :)

5. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

I am pretty sure Fuduka made Shinn so he could kill him in the end, but by the end he chickened out again.

6. !-justicer-! Member

Who's Shinn?
    I can only remember of Kira, Athrun and Mwu in their shiny gundams
    Shinn? Never Heard of him, he is from GSD?
    Ohhhh now I remember..., honestly I don't think so.

7. Hunter [inactive] Member

Yeah I am satisfied. They could have done a better job at it and many would have wished that Shinn was more likeable but still there is nothing wrong with him. Although I do feel sorry for the guy in the end since he pretty much lost everything, that is why I am hoping that he is finally given another chance of living his life happily.

8. Ha-ri Dai Gurren Brigade member

That should have endded the thread because thats all you need.

9. AznEnigma69 Alucard of the Leaf

10. ssouske Callsign: Urz 7

it is very obvious that a lot of fans did not like shinn's character development in GSD... im sure they could have done more or a better job in developing shinn... i just did not want to see shinn stay as an angry, vengefull brat...

11. Chillin The New Sword

Crap...just when I posted something pertaining to his development in the 3.0 thread you go and make a whole topic :laugh

Yes, they could have done his character better. I really wasn't happy with his development...or rather his total lack of development, and seeing as how I wanted to like him I really put hope in his character and I was severely let down. However there were other characters that were really a big part of the story and far more developed from the get-go that I liked much better than Shinn. This just leads me to remain indifferent about it all, or rather I'd like to say I just don't care about his development or him. It seems like that's what they were trying to lead everyone to think about Shinn anyway. To sum it all up, no I wasn't happy with it initially, but now I just don't care.

12. crystal-kay Leo's Lover, Haru

They could have developed him better instead of leaving him as the resentful, whiny, angry brat.

13. me_is_david Today We Are All Hokies.

I have to have at least 10 characters in my post.

14. White Reflection Member

I stopped reading your reply after I saw the words "good or bad".
    It's quite naive to use the words "good or bad" in gundam stories. I dont know why so many people hate Shinn, but I think he is an awesome character. In my perspective, he is just another victim from the previous war who is always possessed by his traumatic past. The loss of his family weakened his faith and belief. Therefore he fight for what he think is right, he will do whatever to stop the war and save as many people as he can. Although he might go berserk in the battle, IN ORDER TO SAVE THE PEOPLE AROUND HIM!!!.
    From the point that he is fightning for his belief, he is not that much different from Kira or Athrun (However he began to get confused after he shot down Athrun's Gouf with Meryin inside)
    On top of that, I dont see how the chairman is wrong. He wants to return the world into a place without wars and torment where everyone can live happily in peace, the "invincible" Kira and Lacus are just some conservatives who are afraid of change. Despite I strongly incline to the destoy of Requiem cannon, they should have given the Dul a chance to work out the Destiny clan and let history to testify it. What Kira does simply turns everything back to where it begins, ultimately leads to another rise of LOGOs.

Kira(Smirk): So I can destroy them again cause more chaos and more death, mindless fandoms will love me always.

15. kyubi256 The new 10th tail Jinchuriki

Shinn was a great character in this whole series for me. I liked Shinn, my favorite character besides Kira throughout the whole series... i hope there is a third season and we have more Shinn again with his girl.

16. Jikes why does no one listen to me?

No offence White Reflection but i think you missed the point entirely of both this thread and Mindless's post. I dont believe Mindless was comment on Shinn being bad. Believe it or not but this thread is not simply a place to vent what you think was so good about Shinn, but rather a place were you can make a comment about how you were either happy or dissapointed with Shinn's character development in Gundam Seed Destiny. Frankly Reflection i dont think anyone wants to here another "Shinn is so cool" rant, and dispite my Shinn fandom neither do I. So in future please read the thread title.

17. White Reflection Member

Jikes: I think you mistunderstood my point.
    I argue to justify Shinn and Chairman for their actions in my reply, therefore I can say it's perfectly OKay for Shinn to remain who he is from the first espisode since he is RIGHT. As a result, I am happy with Shinn's character development.
    Sorry if I didnt make this clear in my reply, and I did lump my personal emotions into it. However, I do think arrogant bastard like Kira Yamato deserve to die. And Lacus talks absolutely non sense when she stands up against Meer in Episode 43. I would love to see destiny plan actually get carried out.

Okay now feel free to bash me.

18. dspr8_rugged RX-0 Unicorn Gundam

As far as all the Gundam series that I've seen, Shinn Asuka was the most poorly developed Gundam protagonist, not to mention, the least likeable. Despite that, he could have been a very interesting character, but of course, we already know what happened.

I guess I can blame the writers for making him an anti-hero towards the end of the series.

19. NejiHinata Haman Ownz my Soul

I will state this very simply, in the phrasing of three Eyeshield 21 characters:

"Huh? Huuh? HUUUUH?!"

Which translates to: "Dear sir, just where pray tell would I be able to locate any character development in Destiny? Let alone development to like or dislike."

20. Laiquelleion Dark Angel

NOOOO the character development of Shin Asuka was nothing in comparison to what I had expected of the series.

21. NU-KazeKage The Real Kaze Kage...

they didnt have shinn develop right... he was my favorite chaacter till he blamed kira for killing stealler then he went down hill...maybe if they continue the series
    hell come mature