1. img
    Take time to sit, get comfy, and watch the leaves fall...
    Come and join us in our forums Falling Autumn Event!
    The deadline is on September 25 at 10pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Come vote in the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 23th at 4:42 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

What are problems with current US Republican controlled government?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Junk45Yard, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Junk45Yard

What are problems with current US Republican majority controlled government?

I've heard several complaints in the media, on websites and by several different peoples about the US Repulican majority controlled government but alot of times they fail to list what their basis for their complaints are. Many just seem to criticise and say stuff like "This Congress is horrible and corrupt" or something like that without listing proof of their criticism or what is it they actually disapprove of. I now open the question up to everyone:
    What are your complaints and evidences of those complaints about the Republican majority controlled government in the USA?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
    Tags:
  2. Megaharrison Retired Staff

The problems on this forum you mean?

Basic youth rebellion instinct. They criticize the government just because it's the government. Also, youth are easily swept into the irrational anti-Bush movement that's been spreading online. Where essentially, anything Bush does is simply dismissed as stupid and they lol and lol without ever really considering the situation.

Also, one must consider the fact that youth are naturally liberial while the current U.S. administration is conservative.

3. Yondaime the Hokage

So what does it matter.

4. falconmain

I am to busy righ now to list things but to be honest what is there to like? relaxed safety standards, eviromental standards, cut taxes in a way that made made lower income people feel like they are getting some money back but in reality it was for the wealthy, refuse to raise the minimum wage even though no one can actually live off of that. talk all the time about our borders but wont do anything about it(things just get stuck in commitee for some strange reason hmmmm.....) only bring up bills on fighting terror when its politically conveinent to them. Same with gay marriage. stone walled much of the 9/11 commitee, the CIA leak scandal(which just kind of drifted away). Have not held the president responsible for false allegations about reasons to go to war with (downing street memo, etc). possible voter fruad in the last two major elections( investigations into them were killed) and so on and so forth. only actually work 3 1/2 days a week when they are in session which is not that often anyways.

like I said I am to tired to provide links but really anyone that actually pays attention should know what I am refering too. plus this is just going to turn into a political bashing thread if your not careful. good luck :)

5. Louis-954

Republicans are for the rich, Democrats are for everyone.

6. Amaretti

The American government, while under republican control, is pursuing a foreign policy that many people consider immoral. They support, train, and arm dictators, illegitimate governments and racist and brutal regimes.

The republicans have very much ignored the impending threat of Global Warming and rejected the adoption of the Kyoto Protocol, which was adopted by virtually all other nations, and did this despite America being the biggest world polluter by a massive lead. The republican party has too much money invested in the current US corporations, so they would rather destroy the world than lose a few bucks.

And on top of all that, the republican party uses religion to promote themselves and appeal to the religious majority of America, ignoring the founding fathers' wish that the church and state be separate. It's sneaky and manipulative to play on peoples faith to get votes.

Republicans are bad for America. They've demonstrated themselves to be greedy, selflish, corrupt and archaic in their approach to 'controversial' issues like homosexuality and abortion when all other developed countries consider these non-issues and let people choose for themselves rather than deny them with laws.

All these things have turned world opinion against America, unfairly, and are damaging international relations as well as the war effort.

They kinda smell too.

I'm not saying that the democrats are a shining example of upstanding morality, but they would probably do a better job of running the country by making the government look a little less despicable.

7. Razgriez

Guys. Understand that it does not matter whos in power both parties are horribly corrupt.

All that matters is which party seems to fit your interests the best and for me I kind of like the republican party a bit more due to their policies.

Dont forget that congress isnt all republican and theres still a lot of democrats in there as well.

Yeah they only wanted to vote in a tratorious European dick sucking dirtbag who cant seem to keep the same stance on anything into the presidency.

8. CrazyMoronX

I'd agree with this, mostly. Both parties are bad right now, there is no safe bet.

The real problem with the party now, is that people hate Republicans.

9. Razgriez

Republicans also give me better gear, a bigger pay check and dont threaten to kick me out due to downsizing. While democrats tend to stop giving new gear, downsize the military and I dont get as many pay raises. :p

10. Junk45Yard

No offense but this was exactly what I was trying to avoid, accusations without evidence. I'll let it slide but please post later explaining this.

Good point. I think maybe I should rephrase my question to be "a Republican Majority" in government.

By the way, could everybody show some examples in the cases where they didn't list any. There's no hurry. Basically, I just want everyone to be able to see how these things have happened or the evidences proving them or other such things. And for those who have posted evidences and such, Thanks.

11. Tsukiyomi

I take it then your in the military? Well thats true, republicans don't want to downsize the military, instead they want to "outsource" all the other jobs in the country.

My biggest problem with the republican party lies squarely in the environmental stance. Many republicans I've encountered seem to think the environment is totally expendable if it means we can make a few bucks along the way.

Democracts seem to understand how important the environment is.

Republicans have fought gay marriage like a bunch of immature children who can't stand the thought of two men kissing and must enact laws to prevent this. Democrats are far more supportive of how people want to live their lives.

Not to mention that the republicans have cut taxes and vastly increased our spending, thus driving us into an unprecedented deficit that could eventually bankrupt us.

I disagree with the democrats on many issues such as gun control, but the stances the republicans define themselves by are far far worse.

12. EvilMoogle Supporting Staff

A minor correction, there are very few actual conservatives left in the current administration.

Remember, a conservative party is a party for a smaller government footprint. The government has grown more during the current administration than it has in a long time.

Higher Taxes + More Government Services: Liberal/Democrat
    Lower Taxes + Small Government: Conservative
    Lower Taxes + Bigger Government: Crazy

13. Amaretti

Yeah, but what's good for you now isn't necessarily good in the long term for everyone. The country is in massive debt (I think it's currently at 64% of the total GDP, which puts the American economy behind the EU and China), and continuing to cut taxes and spend money so liberally on the military just further cripples the economy.

Saving money is what America needs to do if it wishes to survive as a superpower. And it's been shown throughout history that Democrats seem better at controlling the economy than republicans. For instance, all the biggest budget deficits occurred under Republican administrations, and the budget has been balanced exactly five times - all under Democratic presidents. The last president to return the budget to safe levels was Clinton. Since the republicans took over, the country has found itself in debts reaching between $350-450,000,000,000.

This is a serious issue. The economy has never been so bad in America, and it is effectively a ticking time-bomb. One day there will be an economic crisis because of this republican president's actions and nobody seems aware of it, because media outlets don't want to cover the story because it's happening so gradually that it lacks the impact of other headlines like 'TERRORISTS'.

If the republicans continue to remain in power and keep running the economy into the ground as they've been doing since Bush's inauguration, America will be in serious trouble.

Debts will have to be paid, and then, yes, America could face bankruptcy.

14. Junk45Yard

I have a question about the tax cuts point that is being brought up. I have heard that the tax cuts stimulated the economy which inturn lead to the government recieving more money from taxes in the long run. Is this true or have I been lied to?

15. Amaretti

Basically, tax cuts need to be handled with care. It means the government has less money to spend, and as such, public services won't always get the funding they need. Government spending needs to be spaced out, not thrown around, and yes, this can boost the economy in theory. It's not really a proven theory though.

Low taxes = less money to spend (typical Rep. approach)
    Higher taxes = more money to spend (typical Dem. approach)

Rep. = heavy spending (in conjunction with low taxes = debt = bad economy)
    Dem. = moderate spending (conjunction with high taxes = surpluss = good economy)

The problem is, Bush doesn't spend like a man who has a smaller budget. He spends like there are high taxes and resorts to borrowing money off other countries because his admin has simply run out of cash. America has gone from being the world's biggest economy to the world's biggest borrower, and so far this hasn't backlashed on them yet. But if the debts get big enough, soon countries will start demanding their money back in a classic boom-bust sequence - debts that America, as of now, can't pay off.

Having said that, this could happen at any time. Economic collapse could literally happen overnight. America could be left bankrupt and then there would be no money for public services or the military. It would take a long time to recover from this kind of crash, if at all, and in the mean time Americans would suffer. Add to this the impending disappearance of oil on which the country runs, and the rise of global warming which increase the chances of more hurricanes like Katrina occurring, and the problem just got even more serious. What we're looking at here is a rather sudden crash into a third-world-like state. With no money and no oil and harsher weather conditions that existing infrastructure is not equiped to handle, America would be... a little bit doomed.

Seriously... you need to elect the democrats again. The future really does depend on it. (Bah, it might be too late anyway.)

16. Junk45Yard

I won't dispute the spending and debt at all. I think that the governments managing of money is pretty bad and the debt needs to be taken care of. I was just wondering if the tax cuts had led to higher revenues from taxes because someone told me that that is what has happened and I wonder if it is true.

The example was this:
    Hypothetically the GDP was in the example 2 billion dollars. The example then claimed that by cutting taxes the the GDP increased (to lets say 2.3 billion) and thus the government made up for the cut taxes through the increased GDP. They put it like this: 10% taxes at 2 billion GDP produces 200 million dollars but 9% at 2.3 billion produces 207 million dollars so the government in the long run has made more money. Then the claim was made that this is what is happening in the USA.

I just wondered if the example I was given is correct and this type thing is happening in the USA or if this is not really the case and people are just saying this to justify the tax cuts.

I suppose either way it probably doesn't matter because even if the government did make an additional 7 million by cutting taxes they would just blow it on something useless and stupid. I just want to know if the example I was given really is the case in the USA or not.

I want you to know, though, Amaretti, I agree with you on the US governments debt and spending problems.

17. That NOS Guy

That's fucking bullshit. Backlogged depots for equipment, body armor shortages, going to war with National Guardsmen trying to be regulars. Let's not forget just how much this administration has fucked over Naval aviation.

I voted against this administration on defense and fiscal grounds last time, I'm only happy to do it again against it's cronies.

18. Razgriez

I like that one. We dont need all these services when theres a ton of private companies that offer better business anyways(at a price though).

If we just stuck to our normal capitalistic ways though in theory companies would fight for business and their prices would be low and affordable because if its too high and their competitors offer something better and cheaper they arent going to get any business.

Republicans seem to be taking the stupid way of thinking they can add all those awesome social programs(that suck anyways) to get the cemoractic vote and keep taxes low. Well yeah... that doesnt seem to work very well.

Democrats will just jack up your taxes regardless.

Sure, democrats maybe able to fix the deficit but Im kind of worried over my safety in this country and Im definately NOT fond of any of them they would want to become president cause well, Kerry is a dirtbag, Hillary is the 3rd anti-christ, and their democratic party leader I think is clinically insane and has a mind of a 14 year old. Gore is Gore.... I think having a brick wall as president would be more appealing.

The republicans dont have really an any better line up(since really... who the hell are they?) but people Id like to see president would either be Collen Powle(spelling?) and Rudy Gulionie(yeah Im bad at spelling names).

I think the best way to judge the economy right now is by looking how much everything costs, is everything readily available to buy and do you hold a job at this present time. Right now the economy looks fine to me.

Well they really do have an ample supply of body armor at my supply. I myself have body armor. 1 flak vest which is the heavy duty one and a lighter bullet resistant version hats used for everyday duties. Theres like a shit ton at the supply as well both in desert and woodland camo. We got these cool little handles on our M4s as well. Its to help with handling or whatever but whatever, I just think it looks cool, and we got these mics for our radios. I heard they got even better shit in the desert.

You think they spend a lot on the equipment? They have spent probably 80,000 on me alone to get through tech school and boot camp and thats just for the training.

I get 3 free meals a day, free healthcare(god only knows how much that costs), free housing, when I go TDY they pay for my travelling, I get like 1,500 a month on base pay, discounts on so much shit, access to free facilities like a gym, they give me free clothing and gear, and they would pay for my college education if I was to pursue it. I also have the GI bill which for like 2,000 bucks I get 35,000 to spend on education(which isnt necessary when Im active duty).
    They spend A LOT of money on just the personel and you may not realize it but thats probably where a lot of the money is going as well.
    Oh theres also awesome retirement plans that I have access to as well.

Oh theres one way we could somwhat fix our deficit. Ask all of Europe to pay up for all the money we spent on fixing their continent.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  19. That NOS Guy

Do you have modern interceptor versions? Yeah, that's kind of a small issue.

So tacticool equipment somehow makes up for things like shortages of decent heavy equipment, armor, and accurate war planning?

Nevermind your M4 is the laughing stock of the gun community. Sure it's a nice gun to go target shooting bu the 5.56 NATO is underpowered and until there's an upage to 6.5 or 6.8mm ammo that's not going to be fixed, and even then it's a stopgap solution until an actual battlefield rifle can be fielded.

It amazes me that people ignore that this administration has cancelled several very promising battle rifle projects simply because it has some sort of love affair with crappy rifles.

20. falconmain

lol rummy has been cutting bases like crazy, republican congress has reduced the budget for VA, are not increasing the budget enough to replace the gear that is being worn out or used up. lots of the reserves don't even have their full gear to train with because they are sending it overseas so the soldiers that are in actually combat can actually be fully equiped.

give me a break. Democrats tried to give a 2.7 percent pay raise this year president only wanted 2.2 percent. Clinton raised the pay in the military at a much higher rate then during the first bush and during the whole reagan administration.

21. laughingman

People are misinformed about the US national debt. The economy is NOT in any kind of bad condition. The absolute numeric US debt is the highest it has ever been..but ALL economists measure it as a debt/GDP ratio, which isn't nearly the highest it's ever been. The ratio at the end of WWII was much much higher that it is today, and it was higher in the 90's. Dozens of countries have a higher debt-to-GDP ratio.

Also, it would've been retarded to pay down the debt in the early 2000's. Paying down the debt has a recessionary effect on the economy, which would have been disastrous for the near-recession state of the economy at the time. The government needed to INCREASE spending to stimulate the US economy. That's why the inflationary influence of WWII was good after the deflationary Great Depression.

And saying the US government will be driven to bankruptcy is ridiculous. No mainstream economists believe that. It's just the theory of one crackput economist and the National Inquirer, who've been saying the US will become bankrupt for over a decade now.

22. falconmain

not sure what that has to do with the subject matter.

the debt/GDP ratio after a large war is always atifically high so you can't use that as a measuring stick btw.

your half right. if all things stay the same the US wont go bankrupt but if china japan or south korean decide to cash in their check then all hell will break loose.

23. That NOS Guy

Interestingly enough if either of these countries decided to do it, their economies would suffer a severe assraping. It's fiscal suicide for them and more of a MAD option then an effective offensive weapon.

Of course, I've always been a big believer in Keynes. The funny part that no one seems to remember of course is the fact that the government is supposed to raise taxes and pay off debts while the economy is good.

There's something oddly funny about Bush claiming the economy is great and strong then refusing to hike taxes becase it'll hurt it too much.

EDIT: There's also that whole "reign in spending" thing too, something Bush has failed to do even though the economy is in his world doing swell. Well, I don't suppose I can except a C grade legacy student to actually think about heeding 50 years of fiscal lessons.

24. Kurairu

But I'm not old enough to vote, so I don't really care.

25. falconmain

oh great a keynsian :p just joking. I think in a few more years china could actually start cashing in some of the debt in effect pushing down the US economy while bringing in cash for the china econ. not all of it but portions. and pretty soon they might be able to withstand the hit much better then the US economy. thats partly why we cowtow to them alot.

then you have to bring into affect the euro and if more and more people switch to euro thats less greenbacks in the system which is bad as well.

but all in all most countries dont want to rock the boat so nothing big ever really changes all at once.

26. laughingman

My point is Bush administration isn't driving the economy into the ground like some think. I agree with most of the Republican economic policies (except Reagan's) concerning minimum wage and tax cuts. My biggest qualm with them is sticking us in this retarded war.

Just disagreeing with their views on gay marriage and abortion hold no water. They're representing a huge chunk of Americans on those views.

27. Razgriez

The hell is that? Im an fricken cop on a small military base where nothing happens.

Sure. I really dont care.

I dont know about that. The weapon seems to be rather effective for what I need it for. Sure it jams when you fire in burst sometimes but as long as you clean it well it hits the target and gets the job done. They are designing that new assualt rifle. Forget what its called but its pretty bad ass, but the army needs this stuff more then I do.

Well you really only need 1 and the M4 isnt THAT shitty.

28. kelleh

Hey, get rid of the mandatory federal taxes altogether and we have the Articles of Confederation there! What a success story.

But your sentiments right there are one of my biggest beefs with Reagan-esque Republicans: the push for laissez-faire. No matter what anyone says about it, there is no way that economic policy will EVER benefit the public or the government.

Taxes are a necessary function of government, especially if you want social programs that you would otherwise have to pay out the ass for from hardly-regulated businesses. Get over it.

But the Republican party has gotten so off-based in the past 30 years, and even moreso in the past 6 years, it's not even funny. They've skewed the entire political spectrum by flinging themselves to the far right on many issues, leaving Democrats as either "irate liebrals" or centrists. Our middle ground is degrading as extreme right-wingers continue to do battle with I'm-more-liberal-than-you Democrats, resulting in detrimental polarization.

The main exception to the Republican ideal of "small" government is the Patriot Act and any subsequent anti-terror measures. This only adds to the confusion of where the Republican party traditionally stands.

There was once a time where there was more gray area than the brightest of Reds and Blues.

29. RasenganUltimate

o_O this looks like a fight between republicans and democrats... -slowly steps away-

30. Botzu

QFT and really even if theirs so much anti-bush on the internet and in easily swayed youngsters how many of them can/do go out and vote. so really i dont think anything is going to change anytime soon.