1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

What book have you finished recently? - Part 1

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by Tazmo, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Tazmo The Supreme Cheese

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Tags:
  2. jungwah8 I like penguins

Well, I searched the forums for a thread like this, but surprisingly there was none (unless I missed something). :amuse

What book have you finished reading recently? If you want, recommend it and describe it (author/genre/summary). :smile-big

Well, I just finished reading The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. It's a classic. Historical fiction...I think. Sorry, I'm not very good with determining the genre. I enjoyed reading it. Probably because I don't usually read those types of books often.

3. αshɘs Well-Known Member

He just can do no wrong :( If I have to rank his works so far, I would havea bit of trouble. This one also ranks up high and mainly because I liked Sumire and the relationship of the character so much. K also felt different compared to other Murakami protagonists.

4. Parallax LET ME IN Advisor

Mexico
    The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

there's a stronger appreciation during the reread of this book and how it tackles its themes. Of course there's so many loose ends, but it feels complete as if it didn't need to wrap everything up. In fact probably doing so would have really messed with the feel and dreamlike flow of the book. The ending is a bit weak admittedly but it's still such a wonderful and emotionally yearning story. This is pretty much the Quintessential Murakami experience.

5. choco bao bao いるす

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire back to back.

I enjoyed the second book more than the first because things got more complicated and intriguing, and I thought I'd have nightmares last night after reading it. D:
    I'll try and complete the third book today!

6. choco bao bao いるす

Finished Mockingjay last night. It's a sobering series to read, to say the least. Wasn't prepared at how much it'd affect me psychologically but I was so afraid I'll get nightmares when I finally went to sleep.

7. Garfield ​⁠​

It's real fun. A light Chicken Soup for the Science Geek kinda book with anecdotes related to various science related matters or mostly from scientists. There's some hilarious gems, including "On the Nature of Mathematical Proofs" by Joel Cohen.

8.5/10

8. Narusuke Uchimake Fusion Shinobi

I just finished Origins (Spineward Fringe) Broadcast 0. It is one of the best Scifi books I have read yet.

9. Puppetry Ōkashō

It definitely wasn't as good as the first; Gale is such a thin character that one wonders why Katniss would even consider him over Peeta (who's also somewhat bland, but has crowning moments of greatness). The plot passable; things really only begin when the Hunger Games do.

10. blackbird Sky High

Clever, insightful and interesting, although it doesn't throw its wisdom directly in your face, as is the case with most similar books.

11. Cyphon Brotherhood of the Beard

The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King.

The 2nd book in his Dark Tower series and a major improvement on the first. After the initial book I questioned whether I wanted to continue and now I question whether I can ever stop.

12. Ruby Moon Active Member

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. I have to admit, I actually liked the last book of the Hunter Games. Departing from the usual Battle Royal-esque beginnings of the first and second books, the third goes into all out revolution against the Capitol, with Katniss and Peeta being used against each other and wonderful shades of gray everywhere. There were enough plot twists and revelations at every corner, and it kept me engaged. The ending, of course, was appropriate and while predictable, I can't say it wasn't done badly after all Katniss and Peeta went through. Well done, Suzanne Collins.

13. TH4N4T0S Parasitus Venator

Walden Two
    by B. F. Skinner and 1984 by George Orwell.

Walden Two is centered on a utopian community existing within the ordinary world. It explores not only an entirely unique and new socioeconomic system, but also the psychological and emotional constructs and motives that can influence a person's decisions in embracing change. I don't really like how it is written, though. Although the gist of the story interests me, the storyline is quite predictable.

7/10, largely due to its predictability.

The highly popular 1984, on the other hand, is a contrast to Walden Two, as it features a hopeless, war-time dystopia where virtually all human freedom is quelled by an unseen, omnipresent figure called "Big Brother". It highlights the death of the rights of the middle class, the theoretical importance of the poorest of the poor, and the bleakest scenarios that may come out of extreme totalitarianism, among many other worldly and strongly relevant issues.

10/10. I simply liked it. And I'm going to read it again.

14. Yasha Procreate

Japan
    After the Funeral and Taken at Flood, both by Agatha Christie.

The latter is better.

15. Bubyrd Ratcatcher absolute Jushin

So far the best Malazan novel

16. Air D Thaw, Frigid Heartbeat

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.

The book was alright. There were a variety of characters, although I felt the only ones I clicked with were Nurse Ratched, McMurphy, and Chief Bromden. It's a classic, so it definitely is something one might want to read.

17. Stunna Fix your hearts or die Retired Staff

I thought this was a very fun read. The post-apocalyptic dog-eat-dog world is nothing new of course, but the way it was handled was interesting, and had some nice, though under-explored themes along with it. I found Katniss to be an interesting protagonist, and the romance had me gripped. It was almost tragic in a way.

18. JellyButter N a m a s t e

I enjoyed it actually.

19. Elphaba Active Member

(Actually finished this over a week ago, but school has been dreadful)

Sigh. Ever since I discovered this series, I've been dreading the day I would inevitably catch up, and here it is. On a related note, mother of cliffhangers. :arg

The next installment, Written In My Own Heart's Blood, is cited to come out in 2013. I can only hope for early rather than later!

20. Spock &#32

Det Fruktansv?rda [The Awful?] - H?kan Nesser

Meh, was a pretty nice read, plot was pretty predictable and the end sucked for having a cliffhanger.

Your typical young adults book.

21. choco bao bao いるす

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

I watched the movie before reading the book so I already knew who was the culprit, and that took most of the fun out. Still, it was a good read, but I wish that I'd watched the film later.

22. choco bao bao いるす

Stayed up till 6am to finish it, which is a testament to how captivating it is. The beginning was a little weak but it got really interesting about halfway in.

23. StrawHatCrew lag

Joined the bandwagon that's called The Hunger Games. The books are surprisingly short. Bought Catching Fire and Mockingjay last week and finished Catching Fire in about 2-3 days and just about done with Mockingjay despite trying to limit my chapters per day. (Wanted to savor it, if that makes sense) Much good that did cause the books are so hard to put down haha. I'll be done with book 3 by tomorrow.

24. Cyphon Brotherhood of the Beard

Third book. Better than the first about as good as the 2nd.

25. Stunna Fix your hearts or die Retired Staff

After hearing about the film adaptation I picked this up...and there's no way the movie is gonna top it. Ender's character is handled so that he's forced to commit despicable acts, but he remains likable because we know that he has no other option, while also avoiding the labeling of a 'mary sue' due to his progressive submission to his harsh surroundings. It's themes on war, innocence, and relationships takes the forefront, and the sci-fi setting merely enhances these things. And that ending...great stuff.

26. Special Agent Sugar Well-Known Member

Great start to the trilogy. It does a wonderful job setting up the society and introducing the characters, and it's hard to put down once you get to the actual games. I've heard people try to criticize this book for having poor grammar, but when I read it it comes through the thoughts of the main character, which is realistic.

Now on to the next one!

28. CrazyMoronX Old Man

Enjoyable book. Witty, kinda funny, interesting, cool.

I recommend it.

29. Stunna Fix your hearts or die Retired Staff

Great followup to the first book. It does a good job building up an atmosphere of tension and making you constantly feel like any wrong move the characters make will end up with the hammer dropping, leading up to a shocking finale. It makes you appreciate the more peaceful moments more, but solace from the action never lasts too long.

30. BatoKusanagi NaruHina: The Last Movie

A good vampire story, not as good as the vampire chronicles. But it has a serious vampire... the narrative is good (if you've read anything by Stephen King you already know) and I liked the homages to Dracula throughout the story.