1. Stop Scrolling! We changed our address to narutoforums.org

Please add the URL to bookmarks on your PC and phone.

More details can be found here. Feel free to ask any question.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Give your waifu the ultimate gift - being crowned the most popular waifu on NF by helping her win in Senjou’s “NF Waifu Popularity Contest”

Feeling extra confident? You can now bet on your Waifu as well for fun forum prizes here

Come on with everything your waifu does for, you should do this for your waifu.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. "Are you a Messi or Ronaldo fanboy? Come and nominate them and more of your favourite players in NF's UEFA Champions League Awards!

If your nominees win, you could win points for cool forum prizes!

Click here to play :) .
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arcade is hosting " The 2017 Arcade GOTY Awards "

Click here to know more ᵔ.ᵔ .
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Greetings and Welcome to the forums! Please we ask you to lose some of your time and take a look at our " Beginners Guide " that contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun around - NF staff

Click here: " Begginers Guide " .
    Dismiss Notice
  6. It's time to vote for " The 2017 Ohara Awards "✍

❆ Click here to know more ❆
    Dismiss Notice
  7. "Check out the latest edition of the NF Newsletter."

Click here .
    Dismiss Notice
  8. !(☆`ω゚) The New Year comes with a battle, come and join the first ever Naruto Forums Post Rush:

~New Year Post Rush~
    Dismiss Notice
  9. You ever wanted to feel the rush of watching some totally whacky anime but missed it? A once-in-a-lifetime event? Now's your chance to participate in it, grab some popcorns and :

Join the NF Community Watchalong: Kill La Kill event ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Come be part of another forum event:

❣ Mafia section is hosting " The 2017 Mafia Awards " and is calling the community to become part of the event.

Click here to know more
    Dismiss Notice

What book have you finished recently? - Part 1

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by Tazmo, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Mali ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

devil on the cross by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o

2. Mider T VM Rapist

I read Artemis today by Andy Weir (the guy who wrote The Martian).

The feel is similar except this story takes place on the Moon with a female protagonist. Unlike The Martian the year isn't specified, but it's implied to be further in the future than The Martian (if they even take place in the same continuity). Because of location and time period, Weir is able to more freely leave the distractions of today's unfortunate social pickles behind. Some examples being: the main character (Jasmine) being a lapsed Muslim and her father being a Muslim yet nowhere in the book is there anti-Islamic sentiment, multiple characters are gay but the only contention thats presented with this is a character's infidelity and even then because it's central to the plot, no nationalist ranting or 3rd world bashing despite Kenya being the main country that the Artemisians associate with, etc. In regards to the location, I can see the reason being that everyone is an immigrant to Artemis so everyone is in the same boat. In regards to the time, I can see the reason being that society has moved on from those prejudices. It's interesting though that while there aren't tensions between the races on Artemis, many of the races work and live with their own kind. The Saudis (Jasmine's nationality) are welders, the Romanians some sort of metal workers, the Vietnamese (can't remember where they worked).

Something that I was really intrigued by was the "currency" system that people on Artemis used, because I never would have thought about it. SLGs (pronounced Slugs) which are all-digital points that measure grams. It's important since weight is crucial for shipping supplies and people up to Artemis. For instance an apple weighs 100 grams, so it would cost 100 SLGs. The book does a remarkable job of explaining this.

Weir also does an incredible job in explaining problems that we would encounter in space that most people wouldn't think about, as he did in The Martian. We see this in Jasmine's problem solving (she is a latent prodigy). Although I have to say the climax was a bit tough to follow for me. If The Martian was all about Biology and Math then Artemis is definitely got Chemistry fanatics.

This is really the first time we get to see Weir's characters interact in a non-work environment since in The Martian virtually all of the dialogue was focused on saving Mark. It's believable and Jasmine Bashara is even more sarcastic than Mark Whitney was. Her attitude is actually alot like Jessica Jones.

All in all I would rate the book 8.8/10. Check it out if you get he chance.

3. TTGL Infinity Big Bang Stormer

4. Dessa The Lady Of Dreams

Wicked Bite by Rebecca Zanetti

5. Polaris =(^.^)=

"With Malice" by Eileen Cook. This is a thriller. It’s about a teenage girl named Jill, who wakes up in a hospital with no memory of what happened to her. She suffers from retrograde amnesia and aphasia as a result of the car accident that she was involved in. In my opinion, the narrator has an amusing way of looking at things. She’s observant and sarcastic by nature.

Jill is horrified and baffled when she finds out that her best friend, Simone, was with her when the automobile accident occurred and died. The accident happened in Italy. Jill and Simone were both participants in a so-called “Adventures Abroad program” that gave them the opportunity to travel to Italy in order to learn about art and history. Jill describes herself and Simone as, “Siamese twins who share a heart and can’t ever be separated or one would die”

Simone was apparently a rebellious, confident and bossy daredevil. Jill, on the other hand, was a studious, shy, precocious and smart bookworm. They were both popular, but in different ways.

The media has a distorted view of the girls’ friendship. They paint Jill in a negative light, by making her out to be a cold-hearted and stuck-up bitch who was insanely jealous of Simone’s outgoing and confident personality, henceforth labelling her as the prime suspect. They think that Jill and Simone fought over some Italian dude and that Jill killed Simone in a jealous fit of rage or in order to eliminate her competition.

One of the main themes in this novel is the media's influence over public perception of a suspect's guilt or innocence. The way each little piece of a person's life can be taken out of context and manipulated to mean whatever the media chooses, is actually quite terrifying.

This novel reminded me how different people can perceive a certain situation differently, based on;

1 Their personal opinion of the people involved in the incident.

2. How much information they have regarding the incident in question.

3. Their personality traits. An impulsive and impatient person will jump quickly to all sorts of conclusions. A person who is skeptical by nature will think long and hard before reaching a conclusion.

My attention never dwindled while reading it and I would recommend it to people who enjoy reading thrillers.

6. Dessa The Lady Of Dreams