1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

What did you think about this Mael/Estarossa Arc?

Discussion in 'Nanatsu no Taizai' started by Taizai295, Sep 19, 2018.

How do you rate this Estarossa/Mael arc?

1. Great!

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Good!

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Meh.

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  4. Terrible!

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Taizai295 Member

What did you think of this Mael/Estarossa arc (Chapter 260 to now)? What did you like? What did you hate?

For me:
    What I liked:
    • The action.
    • Estarossa’s crazy personality
    • Estarossas ALLEDGED backstory. You know, him being born as a weak demon and son of the DK.
    • When it comes to writing: The Estarossa being Mael reveal (Im not a fan of estarossa being Mael, but I have to admit it was well-written and had a lot of build up)
    • Seeing Sariel and Tarmiels graces.
    • Explanation on how OGowther ended the original holy war
    • And I guess, Mael looking back on his actions, realizing what’s he done to the OGowther, and forcing the commandments out of his body

What I hated:
    • Estarossa/Mael CONSTANTLY getting out of situations because of an outside source. Examples: Derieri basically saved him from being defeated by monspeet. The commandments saved him from dying against Sariel and Tarmiel. Tarmiel saved him from getting his commandments taken out, which lead to him getting another commandment.
    • Mael just being able to absorb commandments easily
    • Derieri fucking dying just to give Mael another fucking commandment. Tarmiel and Sariel disappearing. Basically, Nakaba took 3 strong individuals out so the sins can shine.
    • Monspeets death being rendered pointless since Derieri ended up dying anyway
    • Elizabeth doing nothing in the fight against Mael.
    • Kings BS powerup.
    I’m curious to hear what other people think.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Tags:
  2. Darkmatter Lion's Sin of Pride

I liked Estarossa being revealed to be Mael all along. It plugged in so many unanswered questions like why exactly does Mael age whereas Mel remained the same, him not recognizing Sunshine off the bat despite being the being who killed Mael. In other words, these minor details that tends to question certain things end up being a big plottwist.
    I also liked how Mael wasn't picked only because his formidable power was a definition of the Goddess' advantage, but he was also picked because of personal vendetta.

What I detested about this was mainly how the fight turned out, and how utterly disappointing it has been, but the elephant of the room is definitely King himself.
    It's not the problem that he got so powerful that he could easily defeat Mael w/ 5 Commandments, because at least I can understand that it's been foreshadowed; it's how he turned into the most powerful being within seconds and how the power of love unlocked it. This is some Fairy Tail-tier asspull.
    Sariel and Tarmiel being wiped out after their failure is such a disappointing ending for two of the most threatening beings. I wish they weren't killed off this soon.
    Elizabeth felt like a plot device.

3. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

-Final form Maelstarossa
    -King finally stops being a pussy
    -revelations on Mael and Mel/Elizabeth's original relationship
    -Mael freed from corruption
    -Hawk being useful

I diskliked:
    -King's new look(hopefully it isnt permanent)
    -the prospect that Escanor may lose his Grace now
    -Gowther mindfucking even us, the readers
    -Sariel and Tarmiel dead(?)

4. mmzrmx Lazy person

I figured mael and estarossa were the same so that was nice to have that confirmed. The fights just dragged on forever though and felt a bit underwhelming.

I'm all for the sins being stronger and being useful but I'm just not crazy with the huge power up style that the author uses. It's not something new though. The power levels and scaling are all over the place. I wish he never introduced them. It just felt so weird for king to body maelrossa like that

Im glad it's over and I'm curious to see what goes on with Mael now. I assume he's eventually going to get the sunshine back .

5. nyugimon The man who defeated SSB Vegito.

the fight itself was kinda bad and dragged on for too long. as for mael himself? he's one of my favorite characters in the series and i'm glad he's still alive :). the way he was written was great, but like i said, i didn't enjoy the fights that much.

6. Dayscanor The One

I was torn between rating it as meh and terrible. Went for meh, because I actually liked the Mael reveal.

I didn't have any issue with that, in fact It was foreshadowed for quite a while. It's actually one of the few good things about the manga overall. It wasn't too obvious which meant it was still somewhat surprising. But in terms of writing it was handled well barring a few things.

The fighting though...in the end it almost looked like Nakaba nerfed Mael, by not only having King one shot him, but also in a sense by having other people supposedly being on a similar league. I actually thought it made perfect sense that he was chosen because he was the strongest archangel. And not some cheap revenge plot. It even reflects badly on OGowther who is seen as less pragmatic, which is something I initially liked about his character. The manga could use a pragmatic character that does things for the greater good while putting his own feelings aside, and for a while OGowther represented that, but now it seems a lot of it has to do with the loss of his lover.

And of course there's the issue of powerscaling and the insane BS powerups that come from nowhere, but what you gotta do? Nakaba should have made more of an effort to power up his characters gradually, but nope gotta do things differently. Well guess what? It doesn't always work.:kobe

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  7. Keishin Well-Known Member

It was trash the only good thing thats come from it are the more clever hax abilities

8. redrum

gowther's act of trolling literally everyone in the series about mael/estarossa is easily the best part of the arc

butterfly king was ight

based sariel

mael is admittedly a pretty tragic character but he still a bitch

overall, 7/10

9. Harbour I stole all bitches.

10. Inuhanyou Will of the Goddess

It was good up until maels reveal...immediately after that it went downhill. If the rest had been good i would have forgiven the sin of having elie get kidnapped. Rather it was made worse by her doing nothing and the absolute shit that was the plot device of kings power up to resolve mael being too powrful. Felt like vapid fanservice for king fans without a lick of sense

11. TragicDeath Active Member

Estarossa, one of DK's son, who wasnt born with darkness was forcefully injected by his father that made him insane was just so so sad. Growing up in a demonic environment being toyed for being scared that even a bug he couldnt kill was just so traumatic. Mel whom he revere and his beloved brother died on Estarossa's hand just because of direct order for the sake of DC was just too much. Then a turned of event that made those terrible past lies was just a sigh of relief. Hes not as weak as weve imagined yet hes the strongest AA that could par Meliodas was just so glorious. All in all I would say Im happy how Estarossa formed into Mael and got freed from the commandments and everything. Id say 9/10. It would have been perfect 10/10 if he didnt kill Sariel and Tarmiel but thats how it is.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  12. JH24 Well-Known Member

I liked it. The middle part of the arc was a bit dragged out, but I felt the ending made it worth it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  13. The World KATTA

People only have a problem with it because of the lackluster ending

If he had a cooler end fight with more heavy hitters people would be loving this shit like whenever Escanor appears and BAMF's it up

14. titantron91 God Killer

1. Mael = Estarossa
    2. Mael's character development in one arc.
    3. Showcase of Gowther Sr.'s motives.
    4. Sariel and Tarmiel are entertaining.
    5. The power of the Graces

Disliked
    1. Characters dying just for Mael to get Decrees.
    2. The manner and timing King got his uber powerup.
    3. Elizabeth being useless again in battle.
    4. Not enough base Goddess abilities used.
    5. The arc was too long and dragged for no good reason.

15. BreadBoy #1 Kale Fan

Reeeaaallly wish that Nakaba would stop using amnesia plot device/10. :argh :gun

16. Whitebeard

I had hoped Mael was properly dead and reincarnated into Escanor but this wasn't too bad. It kinda takes a bit away from "Estarossa" and Escanor the way this was written.

My biggest gripe was King though, what the fuck was that about.

17. Ziyu Well-Known Member

Brazil
    I didn't like the way King easily beat Mael. Would rather see Meliodas came out of the cocoon and meet them, to fight Mael and retrieve the commandments.

18. Bonly Fire Fist

Egypt
    I didn't have many complaints with it for the most part and enjoyed it, main thing I didn't like was the BS power up King got and how stupid he looks but otherwise the rest was fine with me.