1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

What do you classify as weak?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Kyuubi Naruto, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Kyuubi Naruto

I've been seeing alot of crap around here lately. Ranging from some topics namely these

- Asuma is weak
    - Hidan is weak
    - Naruto is weak
    - Shikamaru is stronger than Asuma and Naruto
    - Kurenai's baby is the king (although this has nothing to do with the topic)
    - The Akatsuki Leader is weak (even though he didn't really do anything to show his power, physically that is)
    and ect.

What exactly do you classify as weak and what do you classify as being strong? I don't see how these things can be said even though characters like Asuma is the 3rd strongest elite Jounin in Konoha and even though a certain character has shown they are strong or are weak suddenly their power jumps after seeing one feat completely ignoring what's been said or viseversa. It just makes no sense.

I'll post what I think later on but I want to see some responses first. I want to know what you personally view as being strong and being weak.

Tags:
  2. TheoDerek

I think when people make those threads they don't mean x character is weak. I think it is just that x character didn't meet their expectations.

A lot of people(myself included) were expecting a lot more out of Asuma than a Katon and Chakra blades.

3. Sasuke`

Hmm.. I guess I have a level that the character as to be at.. characters like asuma, hidan and naruto are all strong in my books. It's just that sometimes, some characters dont live up to other characters, due to their part in the story or other factors that occur. Of course Hinata wont be as strong as Naruto or Sasuke.. but I dont think she will be weak in the end. I guess you should just be able to tell.

4. nif

I reckon Naruto is weak of mind. Even weaker than Sasuke.
    Turning into a friend killing beast to "save his friends" kind of defeat its purpose :nod
    See chapter 296 for details

And I reckon the king is the kid of Asuma/Kurenai
    otherwise:
    1. Shikamaru wouldn't be that shocked
    2. Asuma X Kurenai wouldn't be so emphased lately

It's common sense to me :nod

5. Missing_Nin

I'll have to agree w/ Sasuke3759. Most people were expecting something cool from Asuma since he was an elite jounin. Also, they were expecting some big or nasty jutsu from Hidan cause he's from Akatsuki. But, when they saw neither, they automatically thought 'weak.'

6. Naruto_Rasengan

When i see a character i look at all there strong points, the places where they excel the most. Take Sakura for example. She isn't the greatest offensive fighter around but her role as a supporting team member is almost unmatched. Having the ability to heal the wounds of fallen comrades whilst being able to dodge and use that amazing strength makes her a formidable opponent.

The same can be said for the likes of Lee and Shikamru. Lee isn't capable of performing Ninjutsu or Genjutsu and these could turn out to be his biggest downfall, but he is almost the ultimate Taijutsu user, he is a natural of the drunken fist and is capable of opening the celestial gates. With his speed and range of Taijutsu abilities Lee is someone to be feared.

I don't think i have to say much for Shikamaru, we all know what he is capable of and you should all get the general idea.

Characters are strong in their own way, they all have their weaknesses and against some opponents they would be rendered completely useless. When people see characters as being weak i don't think its a matter of what range of skills that particular character has, but how they perform in that particular battle.

All characters have both strengths and weaknesses, it just depends on who they come up against. Some characters would lose to others simply because they have a rather large weakness in one area, but there are characters out there that are very well rounded, and i think these are the ones who are seen as being powerful. Those who aren't so well rounded are seen as being weak.

Oh well... This is just my take on things. :laugh

7. Raptor

People like to wine when the characters don't meet their expectations. Asuma wasn't weak, Hidan was too strong. Just that. They wanted Naruto to surpass anything and everything post time skip, it didn't happened, and they call him weak. Hidan now that I mention him, isn't weak, i'd say he's extremely powerful but in a different way.

8. Kurosaki_Naruto_

weak is when they compare X character to their favourite character.
    of course, if u compare konohamaru with sandaime its like a human vs. an ant, but if its konohamaru vs. you, he'll own u pretty much easily, even though he might only be a measly genin. it only matters if the person's skills/jutsus are cool, interesting, looks good etc. you can't rly define ones weakness or power, but you can only compare them with someone else that is equal to their rate (a kakashi jounin is better than a zabuza jounin etc.)
    you can say asuma is weak compared to like kages, but asuma can win pretty much any chuunin and genin. it only matters what you think.
    =)

9. fukush

10. naruhina26

it`s not that they are weak, they just fought somebody stronger than them

11. Spanish Hoffkage

Stronger than both at the same time. That's a universal truth. :noworry

12. Ryuuken +

you know damn well that shikamru is not stronger than asuma and naruto, he can outthink but hes not stronger than them

13. NateRuto

if a character gets his/her ass kicked in most of the fights throughout the manga/anime thus far... pretty much weak...

14. cygnus

Its just because Hidan is a one trick pony and when someone is beaten by a boring, one-dimensional character it subconsciously lowers the beaten character to worse than them. Shikamaru should be a totally ownage team leader but if you think about it, anyone bar a Sannin or Akatsuki would have been owned by Naruto's onslaught so you can't call him weak.

I was dissapointed by his lack of character development in terms of mental strength. He showed some skills but he didn't develop over the skip. I think he is the king.

And the Akatsuki Leader is obviously totally ownage, I don't think it is a single ability that controls them. He must just own REALLY hard.

15. naruhina26

Weak = crying while doing nothing, ring a bell?

16. Futagokage

Asuma became the Sandaime son's recently (To say it bluntly, I know this may be planned since the begin, but we just know recently). So many hope that he used at least the monkey summon, or a "more spectacular fight".

I feel when reading te "Asuma is weak" threads that most posters forget that he beheaded Hidan a few chapters ago, and if Hidan weren`t immortal the fight would be finished.

This is the same for all characters, except Naruto, Naruto's case is the typical "I hate main character" case, which is common in most shonen, because the typical shonen argument is about fights, and the MC is never going to be defeated (except a couple of times at the begining by his rival/enemy).

When i read "Naruto is weak because he is nothing without the Kyuubi", i Ask my self "Why does they never question Gaara's strenght withou Shukaku", for me is the same case.

17. uncanny_sama

asuma is weak

and those to failed ninjas that came with him and shikamaru

18. martryn

Ignoring other posts, Genma is strong. The Sound 4 said so. He's a jounin. Most people don't make jounin. In that regard Asuma and akatsuki members are super strong. People just get caught up in relativity.

19. kal20

I would deffinately agree with you here that some characters are particularly stronger against others and there are loads of examples throughout the series that shows this.
    e.g. Temari against Taliya (sound 5) Temari is the natural enemy to all of Taliya's jutsu's which rely on sound to cast genjutsu's.

Neji has a general advantage over close range Taijutsu and ninjutsu users such as Naruto and Lee, but is really weak against long range people like Garaa, spider guy (sound 5) or Taliya who also uses genjutsu.

Their weaknesses are often due to their lack of versitility and mastering only a few things if not a single style of fighting, the one's who are seen as really strong are often those who are seen as very versitile and have a wide range of jutsu's that can adapt to various situations using different techniques. Obvious examples are Kakashi, Itachi, Third hokage and most of the akatsuki, you'll notice that those are the characters who are not surprised very often and have advanced plans thought up for all situations.

20. dregoth

Weak is just relative. Naruto (before Kazengan) is weak compared to Sasuke, but not to the majority of the other former genin.

Asuma is one of Konoha's strongest, but weak compared to Hidan and Kakuzu.

Everyone is weak compared to Oro.

It's just a matter of which benchmark to choose for comparision.

21. Velessa

Well he used to be in the shadow of Itachi, but seeing as he hasn't seen Itachi in ages...

22. Dariusd

Like others have stated, some characters have all this reputation and build up only to poorly show off a fraction of what they're supposedly capable of, so in the end most people just jump to the conclusion that they're weak. Especially when they're defeated by enemies that aren't that impressive either. This is why alot of people still think Tsunade is weak from the Kabuto fight...regardless that she's a Sannin.

Lets be honest for a moment, what Asuma displayed isn't something most people would say, "wow no wonder they call him a jounin, and the son of the 3rd" (it's unfair that we got to see kakashi use MS, and Gai use a gates technique, and Asuma a katon?), 1 katon jutsu and knuckles won't get you that praise. Yes the man fought his hardest but most people don't look at it like that, or the dire circumstances fighting against an opponent where one mistake could be your last (I take that back he's fighting Akatsuki for god's sake, if it was Itachi using MS, Asuma would have been dead in a few secs...).

23. nif

Pre rasengan Naruto was fighting Gaara equally while Sasuke was totally overwhelmed:nod

And I have to agree Asuma isn't weak, disappointing is the work.
    I didn't expect Asuma being taken down without doing something ubberly ubber, taking down at least one akatsuki. But he did nothing except being owned, Shika did all the job :( sure he beheaded Hidan, but anyone could do it with a regular sword with Hidan immobilized :nod

24. Rokudaime

according to the board logic, lack of fancy jutsu = weak

why?because almost everyone think Kimimaro can own any ninja in the Naruto world because he have few couple of fancy jutsu.

25. Rudox

To define weak you first gotta look at the strongest. The ones who can beat almost everybody. In Naruto it would be the Sannin level characters. That would be the 3 Sannin, Itachi, and maybe AL. I won't say Kage level because Gaara proved that rank doesn't mean a thing by getting himself embarrased by Deidara.

Anything under Sannin level is weak, because if you can't defend yourself against the strongest that makes you weak. Sure there different grades of weakness, but if to someone else you are weak that's what you are in the big picture.

There are also characters who have weak minds like Sasuke. As powerful as he is in a fight he's just playing the role Itachi and Orochimaru set up for him. Uchiha avenger and replacement body. Having a weak mind is even worse than being weak physically because you can get easily manipulated as proven by Sasuke.

26. The Pink Ninja

You just need to judge them in comparison to their contemporaries.

Tsunade is one of the stronguest in the manga but she's weaker than her old teamates. Same for Sakura.

Deidara is strong but weaker than Sasori was.

ANBU are weak but stronger than Konohamaru... probably.

27. CrazyMoronX

If someone can kill anyone in the entire manga, and not die himself (Hidan), that's weak. :laugh

Medical ninjas are weak, unless they have that Sakura smashing jutsu. They have no offensive skills for the most part. (with exceptions of Kabuto, Tsunade, and Sakura)

TenTen is weak. She cannot kill anything, because projectiles do not kill.

Ino is weak. She can mind control, but not do anything with it.

Everyone else has their strong points, and weak points.

Example, Lee is very strong physically, but is "weak" in the jutsu department. While Shikamaru is weak physically and in some ways limited in jutsu, but is a super genius, which makes him strong.

I think people are just stupid. That's what it boils down to. No-good shits.

28. The Pink Ninja

That's meta manga thinking. We know that. She doesn't.

29. Kakah

i think kal20 and naruto_rasengan said it best

30. CM Pope

'Weak' to me is if I say "God Asuma was freakin' weak" meaning that his latest performance against Hidan was bloody abysmal....

OR by saying "Hinata is weaker than Neji" since it's simple fact...Neji owned her without even trying.

I classify anyone who is either:

A) Stated to be weak like Hinata was weaker than Neji (note use of was)
    B) Someone just gets WTFpwned by someone else to the degree that its just plain stupid
    C) Making comparissons like "Jiroubou is weak compared to Post-Timeskip Gaara" and whatnot.

Asuma failing to impress pee'd me off and to be frank I think it does make him weaker than he was allegedly supposed to be. True, his opponents were both Akatsuki but he was made to look like a fool and didn't show anything very impressive. For a 'Special' Jounin he was weak, as a character he was strong since he was obviously superior to the Genins and whatever.