1. The first My Hero Academia Banner Contest is here! We are pleased to invite you to participate.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hello Guest,

The Konoha Country Club is hosting its first Poetry Competition!
    The theme of the competition is "What does friendship mean to you?"

If you are interested in entering, please click here.

-- NarutoForums Staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

6. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice
  7. [​IMG]

House of Uzumaki has a new banner contest! Please, check here for details and place your vote.

Dismiss Notice

What do you consider "meeting someone online"?

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by Tendοu Sοuji, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

I've pondered the idea that our culture has shifted to the point where you don't really meet people online anymore. I'm sure a fair few of you can say you met a random stranger on here and then latter on in your relationship met in person.

But, is that still a reality today? With the increasing lack of anonymity on the internet can you still meet people from online?

Do you consider meeting someone from a dating app to fall in that category?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Tags:
  2. Kitsune

I actually feel like it’s become more acceptable in the mainstream to meet people you met online (especially from a dating app). But broadly speaking, people seem to be more accepting of such things now. 15 years ago it would’ve seemed a lot weirder imo.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

So, you feel like a dating app is would be in the same category as meeting an NF member?

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like they're different since on something like a dating app you inherently know a decent bit about them. Where as when I've met people from NF all I knew originally was their username.

4. Kitsune

I suppose it’s very different, so you’re right. The expectations going into each setting changes things.

5. Moritsune Sengoku Iori Moderator

I tend to think that people are more genuine on the internet, so I'd argue that you may actually know some people online better than you would if you had met IRL. That being said, I consider interacting with people here for a decent time as having met them. I also would have no reservation meeting people I've gotten along with here in person.

6. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

That was why I used the dating app as an example, I feel like just based on the fact that:
    a) most are apps these days
    b) you are given a photo & info upfront the dynamic of "online" is removed in some sense.

That it's hard to classify them in the same way.

I often find the same thing, anonymity gives you the freedom to express yourself with little chance of being judged. But, do you create a distinction between say meeting someone from here, a dating app and in person? Would you even consider a dating app "online" in the sense we are speaking about here?

7. Moritsune Sengoku Iori Moderator

I would consider dating apps the least genuine form of communication. I mean, the whole purpose of the app is to present yourself in the best light to attract a mate, so I trust a persona less on them than a random encounter on forums or the like, and certainly less so than meeting IRL.

8. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

Makes sense, a dating app is like Social Media and is about projecting "your ideal self". I wish that I could think of what the most modern version of posting on a forum like this is to have a more apt comparison.

9. Moritsune Sengoku Iori Moderator

I honestly don't think there are any more modern examples. People basically went from interacting with strangers anonymously on forums to interacting with them on social media. I don't remember there being a step in between.

10. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

You know I didn't think about it, but a site like Reddit is the probably what forums have become. So, I suppose meeting someone "online" does still exists with sites like that.

11. Supreme King of The Alley - Lord Ashi cool beanz

Catdank Faction:

Yeah I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion considering tinder exists and dating sites are pretty popular

12. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

Per my previous posts in this thread, the onus of something like tinder or a dating site is inherently different because you already know a significant amount of information about someone.

Whereas on a forum you literally begin with a username.

13. Supreme King of The Alley - Lord Ashi cool beanz

Catdank Faction:

Ooh yeah I posted that without reading past the OP I apologize

But anyway, imo the principle is pretty much the same either way. Just don’t arrange to meet with someone without talking them beyond just the wall of text and a disembodied avatar

Video and voice chat exists, so there’s no reason to not have a grasp on who you’re talking to by then

14. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

I agree with all those points, I suppose my assumption was that with the change in culture and technology that you since you generally have a photo plus personal info at the ready and can instantly go into a video chat that the idea of meeting "online" doesn't really exist anymore.

15. Aeternus The Bored Lolmaster

Well, you may not always know everything about someone you meet online but I do think we get to know enough for that to qualify as meeting. As for meeting someone I know online in RL, have never done this but I don't think I'd want to. Not now anyway.

16. Tendou Izumi I Can and I Will. Watch Me

In this context, I've always considered the term online as the vehicle used to meet the person in question, regardless if there's a flow of personal information or not. Dating apps, online anime forums, emails, etc., all fall under the same category to me. If I'm meeting someone through the internet then I categorize it as meeting them online.

17. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

Fair enough, the expectation of what meeting online constitutes is fairly subjective.

I always considered it in the sense of the early internet. For example chatrooms and forums. You show up to a random site and meet random people. If you eventually trust them enough you could meet them in person.

Where as while a dating app is technically online I don't know if I consider it in the same vein.

18. Sassy

Flag:
    United States

I think you can to an extent it all depends on if people have the time to do so and the money to do it, someone in regards to a dating app is the same thing. It all truly depends on if anyone has the time or money to do it, and if their willing to do so.

I met my boyfriend through an anime forum (myanimelist.net anime forums back when the forums was popping with activity) it was successful 9 years we've known each other and been together officially for 5 years now. Sure at first we both we're nervous in meeting each other but eventually those nerves broke when we both realized we're the same people behind the screens as we are in real life nothing changed we stayed true to ourselves.

I actually would love to meet multiple people on here as well as some of my good Xbox live friends too.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  19. Raiden

Catdank Faction:

I met a few people from an app a couple of times. I haven't met anyone though from an online site itself.

Meetup is also cool. I keep an eye on events for coders just starting out. Haven't used it much though.

20. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

Love stories like yours, also shout out to myanimelist.
    Figured by how long you've been on NF you would have met someone from here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  21. Raiden

Catdank Faction:

Nah havent met up with anyone. I was also inactive from 12 to 16. But I really enjoy connecting to folks virtually here. Theres not many people IRL that I can talk to about anime, news of sports honestly.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  22. Sassy

Flag:
    United States

Thank ya thank ya, shout out indeed damn place I think is practically dead now.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  23. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

Makes sense, don't know if most of the current poster crop really does in person meetings anymore either.
    Yup, I go there occasionally to drop a review and that's about it, everything else is a wasteland.

24. Yamato ANBU- Sadist

Flag:
    Argentina, Mexico
    People still can meet others from online and it’s a matter of the planning and timing.

I’d still be iffy meeting online acquaintances.

25. Aeternus The Bored Lolmaster

26. Shroomsday Too Classy to be Right Advisor

Depends on who but I've met a bunch of different folks from NF. Always good fun.

27. Tendou Izumi I Can and I Will. Watch Me

Hmm..In that respect, I think, before, people were for sure more shy about providing their personal information. Maybe it was because the overall newness of the internet and the fact that people didn't know what to expect or how it would play out.

The memories....:catblush... I was never fond of chatrooms but windows messenger was the 'go to' form of online communication, back in the dial up internet days, lol. I suppose in the meeting process, people transitioned from chatrooms to messenger and then to meeting in person. It was very different to nowadays experience for sure. Less open. :catthinks

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  28. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

The reality is that it's never been safer, I'm sure at some point you will.
    That's because NF members are generally pretty reasonable.
    I often consider it the opposite. That even though information is more readily available about people now that they are more closed off than in the wild wild west days of the web.

29. Raiden

Catdank Faction:

Yeah, most of them watch football and a few basketball. I had one friend into professional wrestling, and we went to a show in Hartford, CT surprisingly.

30. Nep Nep Bedpost-Kun

Catdank Faction:

Never met anyone on here but I did meet someone that plays PSO2 with me. Not too long ago either. Like November last year.