1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

5. The KCC is hosting a Short Story Contest!
    Entries are due by July 9th at 2:30am UTC!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think would make One Piece better?

Discussion in 'One Piece Anime Archive' started by General Shino, Aug 28, 2005.

1. General Shino Member

Just as the topic says? If there was something different you could add to improve the series what would that be?

I think they need a couple heros dying here and there.... Nobody really dies in one Piece... Pell made a dramatic scence and then he ended up just being alive...

Tags:
  2. Masaki Mugiwara Kaizoku

Unruin the dub, kill off Pell when he was supposed to be killed off, make the characters less overpowered, explain how Nico Robin made Igaram's ship explode when her powers are not detonation (unless Mr. 5 was responsible), and put in the other Boroque Works agents later and they don't know BW is dead.

3. Maffy the Love Doctor Turkey can never beat cow.

4. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

I would also give all the characters that have cap guns, super soakers and all of that crap, real guns to shoot people with.

5. silverwings Hero of Time

Make characters stay dead (looking at you, pell.)
    Quicken the pace.

first two are self-explanatory. I just feel the episodes drag a bit sometimes. But that's just me... :sweatdrop

6. Code Zoamelgustar

Well I'd say let some of the other characters defeat the main bad guy for a change aside from Luffy. Though there is usually a valid reason and a condition in which allows Luffy to face them, it'd still be nice to have someone else even an arc-specific character(non-strawhat) be the one to finish off the main enemy.

7. Masaki Mugiwara Kaizoku

Well, Zoro's gonna beat Mihawk(Is that his real name?)/Hawk Eyes. I mean, look at the show so far... you KNOW it's gonna happen.

But it would have been nice if Chopper defeated that guy who ate the magic horns in one of the movies. But Zoro eventually beat Saga in the fifth movie.

This is the second time in less than five minutes that I editted this post.

8. Chrno Uchiha

I would love to see everyone get their own bounties, they all deserve one at this point imo *manga wise* heck woudn't surprise me if SogeKing is above Luffy..hes just awesome.

9. Baby Raptor Disciple of Jiriaya-sama!

i am not sure but i seen pic Shank and Hawk eye will have duel of Sword am i right?? becasue i am confused both guy is friend/rivals!!

10. Chrno Uchiha

When Mihawk visited Shanks, Shanks had said if he came for a duel and Mihawk said he woudn't bother dueling a one handed man *or something along those lines*, don't think there has been a duel shown thus far oO but that does imply they might have in the past.

11. Baby Raptor Disciple of Jiriaya-sama!

Thank you for info,, i might to see future esp ( i am on K-F 154 esp)it will shown about red hair and hawk

12. CABLE S'okay guys, I know blacks.

Allow Zoro once and a while to take on the main badguy, I know that since Luffy is the main character and all, having Zoro beat the main guy would sort of take away from Luffy. But unlike most series that have a sidekick type character like Zoro, Zoro is actually about equal in strength to Luffy, so it would be nice to see Zoro fight a main bad guy since he is capable of beating most of the guys Luffy has taken on but whenever luffy does, he is always in the wrong place at the wrong time.

13. Baby Raptor Disciple of Jiriaya-sama!

i love part of One piece ,, Bounty Hunter island ,, Zoro and Luffy fight for wrong reason but i like both guy fight each other !!!

14. smurfx Captain Usopp

15. JayG Konoha's Beautiful Green Beast

They need to have the uber cute Chopper more useful again. Lately in the anime, he's being made to look more like Usopp rather than the brave Chopper who fought alongside Luffy when they first met, and the brave Chopper who fought Crocodile's men.

16. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

One Pieces greatest weakness, the one that made me quit the series, is simply the childish look of it. Seriously, Oda needs to change his art style and character apperances. One Piece looks too silly and acts too silly for it to be taken seriously. Sure if this was meant to be a 100% comedy manga it would make sense, but One Piece attempts to have some "Drama" in it. The hero's and villains look ridiculous for the most part (I was greatly let down by the men of Baroque Works. I was expecting a great villain organization like the Juppangatana from Kenshin or Akatsuki from Naruto and what do we get? Stupid looking men with crazy hair cuts, ballet dancers, and lady who is dressed like it's 1929). The only decent character is Zoro but he can't hold up the entire series by himself.

It isn't just the art, the plots themselves are often sub-standard to most other Shonen series. NO characters, not even the villains are killed (they are able to withstand deadly poison gas, A-bombs, etc.) and while death isn't the most important tool in manga story telling by any means, it can be good from time to time for plot development.

And sure Shonen manga's are often said to go on forever and ever. But let's not take that LITERALLY Oda...This series needs to end at one point and I now feel it is behind the times, the series is not modernizing to compete with more serious titles.

One Piece in my opinion, can not be taken seriously as Shonen series such as Bleach, Naruto, Death note, Shaman King, Kenshin, and even DBZ could be.

This isn't really bashing the series, I am just making constructive criticizm and hope that Oda may be able to use his talent for character motives for more serious manga one day.

Now then, let the neg rep flow! Being a sword of despair is awesome anyway.

17. Lord Of Reapers Different name same Reaper

I think itd would be better if usop got an actual gun and became more brave

18. Code Zoamelgustar

One Piece looks too silly and "acts" too silly for it to be taken seriously? Yes I'm sure Zoro and Robin act silly and so on... it's a good thing not everyone is angsty like in Naruto, each person has a different personality, Luffy, Ussop, and when it comes to "females" Sanji do act silly. Though the others not so much. But there are times when the "silly" characters definitely get serious. I'd say the art is "unique" if anything compared to a lot of recent series, at first I didn't like it so much but now I like the art quite a bit instead of simply looking at it and saying "It's childish simply because of the art" as a lot of people who don't actually read past 1 page do. The art has also definitely improved.

IPs
    IPs

IPs
    IPs

"Attempts" to have some Drama? I'd say the dramatic parts of One Piece are much better than a lot of series that manage to be funny at the same time, such as Naruto (though that has pratically 0 humor.) and many other shonen. I'd say one of its strong points are the dramatic moments are very well done.

"I was expecting a great villain organization like the Juppangatana" ... (thinks of the big "silly" fat guy... or the cross dresser... etc...)...

Plots are substandard to most shonen series? Please use examples(both of One Piece compared to "most" Shonen series). I do recall a character being "killed' by a deadloy poison gas in the Kreig arc (he's supposably supposed to die though we never saw him again.) And vilians have dies such as Bellamy (well supposably...), and it was stated that during that little Whiskey Peak incident that Zoro killed quite a few of them.
    And sure Shonen manga's are often said to go on forever and ever. But let's not take that LITERALLY Oda...This series needs to end at one point and I now feel it is behind the times, the series is not modernizing to compete with more serious titles. Then there's the fact that every flashback as at least 1 death... And I'm sure many have died in the mass scale battles in Skypiea and Alabasta.

19. JayG Konoha's Beautiful Green Beast

Sorry, but if you would stop watching a show despite its colorful and unique characters, it's creative adventures, and the perfect blend of comedy, action, and yes, drama (no anime touches OP when it comes to drama IMO, and yes, I've seen Grave of the Fireflies) because its art has a childish look to it, then I really don't know what to say other than it's your loss.

20. AssFace Member

I'll admit I didn't like one piece at first, but you can't deny one piece was shit until the arlong arc.

Just make it more fast pace. Seriously half of the show is nonsense which most aren't even funny. Sometimes it attempts too hard to be funny. Also I agree Oda maybe should do less of the ugly villian costumes. Get rid of some characters. The main cast is HUGEE. Most anime's focus on 3-4 chars this has like 7.

Other than that I love one piece. Hated the art too, but I eventually started to like it. Very uniqe, that's what I like about it. People need to step outside the circle for once, and give this anime a chance. Just because it isn't as beautiful as most anime's, doesn't mean it's not up to calibur. I really don't want themt to change thier art style anymore. This is jsut a simple fun ride.

21. Dark Travis Konoha's White Stain

What you meant to say was that YOU cannot take OP seriously, because VERY LITTLE people agree with you on all your points

22. kapsi Banned

I just wish the plot to be moving a bit faster
    Too bad they don't grin (grin?!) like that often now, they must have laid off crack or what.

23. Hitomi_No_Ryu Lost in UkeNaru fantasies~!

Megaharrison...what do you mean One Piece needs to be mordernize to compete with more serious titles!? It is the #1 anime in Japan, period. Every other anime title is trying to compete with One Piece, not the other way around.

Personally...the artstyle is fine as it is. It is easily ignoreable once you get hooked on the storyline. If the artstyle was ever changed, there will be a huge backlash which is the last thing Odacchi would want.

24. Darko Ero-sennin writes good books

i was at around the same episode as kf fansubs which is like what... 150 something? Anyways... it feels like the show is just moving along so slowly that even with its popularity itll get cancelled before it finishes. After 150 episodes its what... like 1/10th finished showing the storyline? They should speed it up more i think, no fillers, make the more minor battles last less, have battles NOT be one on one all the time because hell, with the number of crew they have it takes like 40 episodes to get through the unimportant battles before you even see luffy again... i just feel its going so slowly nowadays

25. YamazakiSusumu Just call me Susumu.

1. better character design
    2. interesting characters
    3. interesting story arcs
    4. good villains
    5. better plot

hmmm I guess I could go on, but I'll stop there. Don't think that I'm just here to bash the series, I've actually read a good part of the manga. I was at around chapter 100 when I decided that I should give up on it because I was still not convinced that it was any good. I didn't even realy ike any of the characters. I did think that Zoro and Sanji were somewhat cool, however, they weren't worth reading the rest.

26. Hitomi_No_Ryu Lost in UkeNaru fantasies~!

:sad Why can't people just enjoy the ride? (or the sailing in this case...)

27. kapsi Banned

28. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

Just because it's popular doesn't make it great, Pokemon is a prime example.

And yes I go against the majority of opinions on this...One Piece is almost devoid of criticism despite its many flaws and every show needs a critic.

And yes...The artwork is not the most important thing nor does it ruin the whole series. But the whole series pretty much has a "childish" attitude. Nami vs. Miss Doublefinger and Sanji vs. Mr. 2 are prime examples of Oda throwing too much humor into a battle that was meant to be serious.

The fear of death is another factor to this. I don't care if he said he "may" die, Oda didn't show Gin die because of his discomfort with killing characters (he even said this himself...). Don Krieg should of died, Arlong is probably still alive, and Crocodile should of DEFINETLY died considering his importance as a villain.

Another major factor why no major characters have died yet is because (and I will be super flamed for this despite the same thing being said about Naruto) the series is being streched out so it can be milked. Every shonen series suffers from this problem sadly.

I didn't bother with the series past Alabasta except reading Luffy vs. Usopp (which was actually well done though I had no desire to continue past it) so I can't comment on it past that.

It should be noted, that Zoro is an excellent character who I deeply enjoy, he was the support beam of the series for me, the only serious protangonist. Robin is the same to a lesser extent and even to a lesser extent then that is Sanji.

Another problem, Luffys superman powers. He ate a lower level devil fruit and is able to pummel elemental class devil fruit users with no explanation. The series needs to explain how Luffy keeps getting stronger and stronger. Luffy is able to beat the strongest people on Earth with super duper punches that come out of nowhere. DBZ at least gave some explanations (regardless of how stupid they were) for why characters got stronger.

I am not trying to insult you fans of the series, this is constructive criticism meant for this thread and the series has many strong points.

29. Code Zoamelgustar

Well omitting the things that are a matter of opinion. Just adressing some points.

? No explanation? One thing that it does have is explanation. The only elemental user Luffy beat was Eneru. That was only because his ruberness was able to counter Eneru's lightning. He was also able to use the same ability to bounce his attacks off surfaces without thought, bypassing Eneru's mind reading abilites. He was also the only person in the class of "strongest people on Earth" that Luffy beat. And Luffy's devil fruit was a perfect counter against his. Crocodile, well technically Crocodile was stronger at that point than Luffy since he won 3 times and Luffy once. But his resielience allowed him to drench Crocodile in his blood therefore not allowing him to completely turn into sand. And well Crocodile seemed to be considered quite weak in teh Shichibukai and he's nowher enear the "Strongest people on Earth." The other logia users Luffy has faced, well... there's Smoker who always kicks his ass. Then Aokiji... 1 on 4+ and he defeat Robin, Luffy, Sanji, and Zoro without effort. At the same time even. He's on the same class as "strongest people on Earth" though he's 1 of 3 Marine Grand Admirals, and there is 1 rank above that. Yet he can decimate Luffy.

So yes, there's explanations given during battles. And no Luffy hasn't defeat any body that's considered near the "strongest" aside from Eneru and that's only because his devil fruit is a perfect counter.

About them getting stronger.

"Every time we cross a new island, we grow stronger in new ways without realizing it. And every island, he escapes death in the same way we all have. Nobody in our crew is flaky enough to die from any little thing!!"

You'd expect constant battle after battles, and at least being in 2 wars so far. They'd have gotten stronger. Then you always see Zoro constnatly training, and when he learned to cut through steel he had his whole monologue about what his master told him. They don't have to show the rest to know that they're possibly training outside from their constant battles. Luffy always thinks up of new techniques, even while merely staring at random objects. And so on.

30. Baby Raptor Disciple of Jiriaya-sama!

i am very grateful about free download show of one piece with K-F provide sub

it is sound of your demand to rude to K-F sub job, some of us ( one piece fan) we like to follow up to storyline not all time fight !! we prefer to see fight , drama and strong storyline!!