1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  3. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Come vote in the third Alley Banner Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

What if Fullmetal Alchemist were a Shojo or a Seinen Series?

Discussion in 'Fullmetal Alchemist' started by DemonDragonJ, Feb 1, 2010.

1. DemonDragonJ Lord of the Dance

Fullmetal Alchemist is a shonen manga, with boys from ages ten to eighteen as its primary target audience, and this is clearly evident in its focus on epic battles, adventuring and exploration, comradeship, and becoming stronger.

However, I am wondering that if it were to be written for a different demographic, would its storyline and characters be at all different? The other two demographics that I am considering are shojo, aimed at girls ages ten to eighteen, and seinen, aimed at males eighteen and older.

What does everyone else have to say? How different would Fullmetal Alchemist be if it were a shojo or a seinen manga? For my hypothetical scenario, the premise of the story (the exsistence of Alchemy and the Elric brothers' quest to regain their original bodies), the setting, the characters, and the plot are the same or very similar; the only difference is the target demographic. I imagine that if Fullmetal were a shojo manga, there would be a greater focus on romance and interactions between the characters, and if it were a seinen manga, there would be less comedy and greater violence. However, I must emphasize that I do not wish to make presumptions or fall victim to stereotypes by making such a statement (i.e., that shojo manga focuses primarily on romance or that seinen manga is very violent).

What does everyone else believe? How would Fullmetal Alchemist be different if it had a different target demogrpahic? I eagerly await the imaginative results that this thread is certain to generate.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    Tags:
  2. Vanity on a Forums Break

Possibly....but FMA already doesn't feel as shonen as some other series like Naruto and Bleach.

FMA already has a bunch of female fans, doesn't it? It always felt to me like it had about as many female fans as male fans not to mention quite a few fans that are 20-30 years old(of course some of those people probably started watching/reading the series back when they were teens and fit the demographic).

The story can really appeal to older people though. I've seen parents who ended up liking FMA because of it's story when they followed it with their teenage kids.

3. Tranquil Fury The Only Thing I know

FMA is different from the typical Shonen like Bleach, Naruto, DB, YYH as I always felt it stayed more realistic than those others. FMA seems to cater to males and females alike of various age groups.

Contrary to belief Seinen does'nt have to be about nudity, it can focus on pushing the boundaries of what is normally status quo, FMA's theme of immortality and playing god with human life could possibly fit under this. The original anime could be considered a seinen version of FMA I suppose since it focused on the dark themes of alchemy and implied rape of Rose.

4. Karn of Zeon Dacshunds>Corgis

I can see FMA as a Seinen series.

A shojo...:facepalm

5. Nimander I has it

As for shoujo...no.:apathy

As for seinen, it damn near is with all the blood it has at times. Or I could just be getting the anime confused with the manga.

Either way, I don't see ultra-violence or fanservice enhancing the story in any way. It honestly doesn't need either.

6. Zaru ________________________________ Retired Staff

Seinen isn't that much of a stretch, really.

Shoujo... I don't even want to imagine. Going by cliche half of the characters would be bishies and the rest would look exactly the same.

7. Karn of Zeon Dacshunds>Corgis

Thats on thing I kinda wish FMA had to be honest:(.

I mean Mustang wants Skirts for female soldiers. Think of the possiblities:33.

8. Nimander I has it

For the tone of the story Arakawa is writing, fanservice would cheapen what she's trying to say.

It has it's place in some stories if the mangaka crafts it in from the beginning. But for some other stories, it's seriously misplaced. FMA is one of those stories.

9. blux >:3

Spoiler: If FMA was a shoujo manga

10. Vanity on a Forums Break

Even though I'm a girl I really don't think I'd ever be into Shojo manga series. :S

It's just like how I never like those so called 'chick flick' movies. Very rarely do I ever like a romantic movie. I only like a bit of romance in series....I never like it to be one of the main themes. It's also kind of lame when ALL the male characters are attractive. XD And in series like that they're like these generic 'attractive' guys which I don't find attractive!

11. cloudy Member

I could see FMA as a seinen with a bit of change. The story is engaging and detailed enough, and there are some philosophical and moral undertones that could be developed further. (Homunculus transhumanism, war themes, and the ethics of the darker side of the FMA alchemy system, to name a few.)

12. DemonDragonJ Lord of the Dance

Who illustrated this comic? Was it drawn by Hiromu Arakawa herself, or was it illustrated by a fan?

13. ~K+ Member

^ It's by Hiromu Arakawa herself, it was an omake in either one of the guidebooks or the character book.

14. Sen

Shoujo would be pretty weird :lmao Lots of Ed-Winry and Roy-Hawkeye probably, maybe add in a few more rivals for their affection. I wouldn't really like that though, I like the way that it lacks that obsession with favorite pairings in the extreme way of Naruto.

Seinen wouldn't be too bad actually, just a bit more violent I suppose and I think that it wouldn't change too much of the actual plot. I'd still read it at least. For the shoujo, not sure if I would read it since I don't really read many of those.

15. DemonDragonJ Lord of the Dance

In that case, is that the canonical explanation of how Izumi and Sig met and fell in love?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010