1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

What is it, that is so GREAT about the Naruto series?

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki' started by Shinobi1jutsu, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Shinobi1jutsu Well-Known Member

I absolutely LOVE the Naruto series! Whether you read the manga, watched the show, or both... you know that there was a type of magic that was infused into it. I began watching the show as an adult, and fell in love with it. This past weekend, I was with some friends at a local IHOP at 2am, and we started talking about Naruto... and a bunch of people from other tables overheard us, and started chiming in saying, "Hey, are you guys talking about Naruto?!?!" Within minutes, basically everybody in the restaurant started having a group conversation about Naruto!!! Then, our waitress came from out the back, and was eager to join in on the Naruto talk! I can't think of another series... that is no longer even running... and, could get so many strangers talking about it like that.

Kids love it, teens love it, adults love it, I started watching it on Netflix with my adult brother, and we were hooked after the Haku/Zabuza saga. Then, I showed it to my two adult sisters, and they got hooked, then they got their boyfriends hooked, I got my girlfriend hooked, I got a whole bunch of other friends into it, and before I knew it... every pay period I was dropping money into Amazon to buy new box sets of the show, that we all watch together... I even got my 60 y/o dad watching the show (on his own)!?!?!? He just texted me to ask me if he can borrow some more box sets of Shippuden (he just saw it where Sasuke killed Orochimaru) (Mom is totally immune).

I just think its CRAZY how amazing the show is, and how much of an effect it has had... I mean look at this site for example!!!

The QUESTION I have is... WHY?!?!?!

I mean the characters are kind of ridiculous, the story has plot holes the size of Konoha, the fight scenes are great... but, too few and far between, and really... isn't all that different from other animes... but, I can't think of a single anime that has had as big of an effect! What is special about Naruto??? What makes it different/better???

Tags:
  2. Dattebayo-chan License to Fangirl

Sweden
    Naruto always had that special something that pulled me in. It is indeed hard to put into words, but I will try. The stories and characters touch me somehow, I think. Naruto talking down Zabuza, Naruto befriending Gaara despite it all, or how Lee wanted to fight so bad he stood up to fight despite being unconscious. Such scenes were always very emotional and moving to me. The depth of the relationships, emotions and character backgrounds always appealed to me.

3. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

No matter what anyone thinks, the manga was a smash hit due to Sasuke.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. Maverick04 Out of touch

> It's about ninjas
    > Storytelling is outstanding
    > Intriguing and cool characters
    > Everyone loves an underdog story here and there
    > Love angles between different characters
    > The story connects different events together quite well.

It basically took Dragon ball and sprinkled some plot on it with a loser protagonist becoming a hero instead of a main character who was born OP

5. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

I'm one of those 'older' adults who fell for Naruto. I am always drawn to character driven stories and I love a good fight scene. Naruto gave me both. Kishi may not have been great at long range plotting, but he has always been able to create characters that people can somehow relate to and care about. I think that's the real key to Naruto's success. That and Kishi's clean, often cinema-graphic style.

6. Ignition Revolving Vaudaville

Interesting and expandable world, characters with many flaws and dramas, good villains (mostly P1 Orochimaru and Akatsuki until Pain's arc), a lot of openness, unexplained events or explained events that could have been done differently in the setting where you can milk as much fanfiction as you want.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Rifulofthewest Active Member

The first part is brilliant, the public freak can selfinsert very well in the character of Naruto and grow with it as he knows the world around him and is related to interesting characters in similarly interesting situations as chunin exams, or simply see that the main character is an annoying but meaningful child and see how it develops from there.
    Also keep in mind that the naruto villains are pretty understandable, tragic and different villains, which moved away from other animated series with bad villains to be bad or that were a blatant copy of the previous villain (seriously, the villains of Naruto are very different, Zabuza, Itachi, Gaara and Orochimaru did not resemble each other).
    However, what really distanced Naruto from the other Shonen are their battles ... I mean, argumentaly and in terms of characters, Naruto is an average shonen, like the first 2 bows of bleach or One piece, but in the choreography and strategies of the fights distance themselves from these by much.
    In addition, its character design is more pleasant than those of other Shonen animes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Junnah Active Member

9. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

I wouldn't say that it was "great" but it was good for just part 1
    What was good about it:
    • Kiba Inuzuka
    • Actually a great concept with alot of potential for great world building (which unfortunately was never realised)
    • Character designs were good (until the ending)
    • Many side characters were interesting and unique (before shippuden)
    • The Story had potential at first (before shippuden)

10. Anza Hello

Just naruto, Ninjas, good plot, shurikens, music

11. Emperor Palpatine Well-Known Member

Part 1 drew people in. Interesting characters, interesting setting, cool powers, great fights, and just overall a great manga with tons of potential.

First half of part 2 had its issues and the problems mentioned had started popping up but it was overall still a decent shonen with some great moments such as the Invasion of Pain arc until that revival bullshit.

By the time things truly went to shit we were already over 500 chapters in so with so much time invested, people didn't drop the manga and saw it through to the end.

12. MaruUchiha The Fourth Six Paths

United States
    Great fights and life lessons

13. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

There's a lot to love about the series. The setting and character designs were really outgoing and interesting, with very few different areas looking the same. But not so weird as to stop the stakes feeling grounded. Some of the fights had really clever strategies and intense twists, and Kishi was extremely creative with abilities. The stories were driven by characters motivations and the characters motivations were driven by what had happened to them in the story. And Naruto had a lot going for him in a time where most shounen protagonists were almost interchangeable or boring. It had some hilarious gags and some really tragic irony. Heroes were almost always deeply flawed and villains had a few admirable or at least respectable qualities. So most characters were humanised. Naruto dared to be interesting and challenging in a genre which takes the safe bet on generic stupidity 99 times out of 100.

Look at the cavalcade of boring Isekai anime for morons that have followed Naruto. Or harem anime that are so generic that every boy who has hit pubery over 6 months before they were released has already seen all the jokes or stock episodes 5 times in other anime. Or they're trash visual novel adaptations that are more about pretty boys in pretty clothes than characters and stories. Even the merchandise anime that used to be fanstastic franchises are generic now and milktoast now, like Gundam Origins and Zoids Wild. Every crappy anime that gets a bigish following finds a dozen copycats.

Looking at most of the anime that have followed Naruto. We didn't know how good we had it. I doubt we'll be talking about a single shounen anime from 2018 in 20 weeks, let alone 20 years.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  14. Dean Ambrose Forums Vacation

Eh.......... not great series to be honest . If we forget the beginning which was sound but not mind blowing amazing, all it had was over exaggerated political lines, lots of flashbacks because the creator decided to make everything that was an important event in the past, lousy characterizations, lack of actual emotional investment and danger for people (especially in the war) and then the fact it became DBZ. Honestly Naruto is one of the most underwhelming series of all time :zaru

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. SupremeKage Hunter x Hunter > ur fave

The world is so fascinating and unique, so many great concepts and characters. Sure some things weren’t executed or developed properly, but that doesn’t take away from a lot of the entertaining or well aspects of the series.

16. FrozenFeathers Vibrant, yet unmoving

17. Sword Sage Swordsman in Training

Almost everything about Naruto but doesn’t involved the Uchiha drama and Sasuke taking up all the fight scenes and action.

• Coolest Guy! x 1
    • List
  18. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

Why wouldn't the main character take up the action? :maybe

19. Sword Sage Swordsman in Training

Sasuke is not the Main character! Naruto is!

20. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

Naruto is just a figurehead. :sauceskully

Without the Sauce the whole series falls apart.

21. Sword Sage Swordsman in Training

If that were the case then why the manga was called Naruto.

Why is Naruto is just a figurehead?

22. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

Why is KHR named after Reborn if Tsuna is the main character? :oldshrug

Naruto may seem like the MC at first, but let's look at it for a sec:

-Who did Kakashi want to train?
    -Who do all the girls love?
    -Who did everyone want to be a rival to?
    -Who's treated as being such a special little guy throughout the manga?
    -Who do all of the Edo Hokage acknowledge without him really doing anything?
    -Who's leaving the village shifts the entire mood of the ninja there?
    -Who gets credit for killing Zabuza?

Naruto is at best the runner-up, or sidekick, but Sasuke is definitely the real MC since all the attention that is usually given to MCs is bestowed upon him and not Naruto.

Naruto serves the role of the underdog. The one who has to work hard to prove he deserves the same respect and attention Sasuke is given freely.

Now if Kishi would do things right, he'd write the series like Black Clover. Asta is also the underdog, but its obvious he's the MC from all the attention shone on him and not Yuno.

23. Sword Sage Swordsman in Training

Your list is a bunch bs for believing Sasuke is the main character.

Reborn manga only showed Tsuna is the main character but his powers were connected to KHR which Tsuna has powers of reborn.

24. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

Nope. Tsuna's powers were his own DWF. Reborn only helped him bring that power out. Tsuna is the MC because he's the one everyone is after and who is supposed to be the next mafia boss. Thats why the Vongola Guardians teamed up.

And the list isn't bs as it shows that Sauce is clearly the focal point of everyone's attention whereas Naruto is just second fiddle.

Deal with it bruh. :tupac

25. Sword Sage Swordsman in Training

Then tell me why Naruto appears in first chapter and Sasuke first appeared in 3rd chapter? If you really think Naruto was second fiddle you frigging wrong! Since when did Sasuke ever took credit of beating Zabuza if Haku took him out of the action and Naruto beaten the shit out of Haku?

What good all those list believing that Sasuke was the primary character?

Naruto beaten Gaara where Sasuke did not.

26. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

Thats just it, Sasuke is given credit for the killing. Even though we obviously know otherwise.

Naruto beat Gaara? Yeah. But no one talks about that.

Doesn't really matter when Sasuke showed up. Once he arrived it was all over for Nardo. :tupac

Again, the list shows that from his introduction the most focus was being put on Sasuke. Even when he wasnt around people couldn't help but talk about him. Naruto left? Eh.

27. Sword Sage Swordsman in Training

Bullshit! In the pain arc it revealed Konoha villagers talked about how Naruto went through and given credit from defeating Gaara.

What so good with Sasuke given the credit when he hardly did anything against Zabuza or lost to Gaara?

28. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

You're still missing the point. We both know who really killed Zabuza and how the mission actually went. Doesn't matter.

On a mission with the legendary Kakashi, genin Sasuke was still the one given credit for completing it. Like, from other lands and shit.

Sauce is the real MC because more focus overall was placed on him. Not Naruto. Throughout the series.

You don't have that issue with people like Goku, Yusuke, Yoh, etc from other series because its made clear by the focus that's given them.

29. Sword Sage Swordsman in Training

Only a fan boy like you would think Sasuke is MC when it’s not even as official saying Sasuke is the protagonist!

30. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!