1. The first My Hero Academia Banner Contest is here! We are pleased to invite you to participate.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hello Guest,

The Konoha Country Club is hosting its first Poetry Competition!
    The theme of the competition is "What does friendship mean to you?"

If you are interested in entering, please click here.

-- NarutoForums Staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

6. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice
  7. [​IMG]

House of Uzumaki has a new banner contest! Please, check here for details and place your vote.

Dismiss Notice

What is so badabout religion?

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by Stalin, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Stalin Banned

I 've seen some people say religion is bad, and I'm wondering why?

Tags:
  2. Pilaf The Man in the Rain

How are we defining the words religion and bad in this topic?

3. T4R0K Searching for a custom title

In themselves, religions are not bad. They carry many guidance and advice, and helped somehow build some values even atheists respect.

But the actions of believers, some laws coming from interpretations, the possibilities of manipulation and control they contain, also the fact they are used to justify killings or wars, all those elements make some people want to stay away from religions.

In other words, I'd say it's the way religion is "used" that is bad in some cases.

4. The Internet Banned

religion in itself is not bad, but what people do with religion, and thus make religion the fault for the bullshit that has gone on and still does.

5. Stalin Banned

6. Pilaf The Man in the Rain

I have to say I support the mindset that religion in and of itself as a personal part of people's lives is not harmful, especially the sweet and sincere aspects of it. If a little girl prays to her idea of God that her dead kitten gets into Heaven or that grandma's cancer goes away, that's not harming anybody. I personally find it quaint and perhaps a bit of a waste of time, but it's not my life.

It's only when some aspects of some religions are pressed into legislation of government or into public education and pretty much imposed on people that there's a problem. Obviously, in many countries including my own, that's not even legal, and yet this shit increasingly happens all the time.

7. Edo Αρχίδια

I see a contradiction with a previous post...

8. Pilaf The Man in the Rain

Let's focus on this topic and not nitpick on what people said in the past, please. Some people's opinions evolve over time. I know that if people used the things I said five or six years ago to debate me, it'd be a waste of time because I come across as almost a completely different person. All part of growing and maturing.

9. Edo Αρχίδια

the post was a few hours ago!!! not 5 or 6 years.

10. Pilaf The Man in the Rain

Regardless, this is a new thread. (Not a particularly well set up one, but that's just my opinion. Personally I think it's too vague and there's not much of a setup. One sentence doesn't really give a focal point for discussion, but I digress). For all we know he may be playing devil's advocate in this thread, or just approaching his argument from a different angle. Being anal-retentive about past statements is not constructive nor productive to the health and progression of this particular thread.

11. Verdius Professional Chad

Flag:
    United States
    Well to me religion isn't directly a bad thing, but simply it tends to be easily manipulated by people for their own ends. Or at least manipulated to how such a person interprets their religion.

But the main point of many religions that I find terribly disgusting is how they often attack knowledge or any information that may contradict it. Not all do but many do and I'm sure you know a few that do. But it's not just that they go out of it's way to discredit knowledge but also to stifle it and spread ignorance and bigotry along with a holier-than-thou attitude.

Not all do but a good portion of religions do and I don't have the least amount of respect for them. Their goal may be to spread good will but somehow they always end up getting caught up in, I'm right you're wrong.

12. The Internet Banned

By the way I appreciate you taking the second quote out of context.

13. drache who's afraid ofa big bad wolf?

I'd compare religion to humanity, both are capable of some the most noble, and good things in this world and both are capable of horrors that are best left unthought. So while religion isn't inherently bad, I regard it with mixed blessings and generally think that people don't need religion to be spirtual.

14. Pilaf The Man in the Rain

I wouldn't use that analogy myself, because humanity is comprised of physical, organic beings whereas religions are abstract belief systems that only exist in the minds of said beings. Humans can accomplish a variety of things, perhaps in the name of a variety of belief systems or lack thereof, but the belief systems themselves are the ultimate strawmen. You take humans out of the picture, and religions mean exactly jack shit as they'd have no power to manifest themselves.

15. Haruno Sakura Uchiha Sasuke's Wife

Religion itself is not a bad thing. When people use it as an excuse for bigotry, violence, and hatred, however, it is.

16. hazashi youre reading this

17. drache who's afraid ofa big bad wolf?

Well I definitely didn't mean to completely compare them and any analogy used never stacks up well in the end, there's always some way in which the 2 things don't compare. But if you look at both in terms of potential for good or bad I think the analogy holds which is all I meant to use the analogy for anyways.

18. Aruarian Well-Known Member

Simply said, followers are the negative of religions.

19. Edo Αρχίδια

was not out of context, it was the whole post...so you are saying that religion is at fault, right?! cause you sure are confusing me!!

20. troublesum-chan i has one eyeball & its for yu

I think the main problem with religion is that it creates the collective mind, the altruistic ideal, which can be seen as good and bad.

To me, religion feels like it puts so much emphasis on the sins and shortcomings of man, destroys the individual in place of a large ocean of consiousness that is very opposed to change in ideals and ethics. But i believe that what is right is often fluid and malleable to certain situations, and should be decided by the individual at appropriate times in their life, and not but an iron clad set of laws that give little room for compromises. Its either hell or heaven is what i mean, and most people are willing to accept this, they don't want to make choices, they'd rather have it all laid out for them. They never question the commandments, they never amend them. They become hollow, only made up of ideals of others.

I think we need to develop our own ideals, become the thinking man, let no organization or person control our own souls except for us.

21. TreeofSephri Scion of Balance

The question that is posed is completely subjective. In my opinion, God has and will continue to make my life rich. I have my fair share of problems but I no longer perceive them as such but merely as test that will only make me stronger. This has greatly changed my outlook on life. My idea of christianity is worship of God without the baggage of rituals and events. Just living, praying and following God's word that is the true essence of christianity.

22. Red Keep Cool, Carry On.

But people should keep in mind that most institutions with great power and influence do this. not only religion singling religion out is just way to blame ll present problems and past actions on religion is not right and fair.

23. The Internet Banned

Which was a reply to a questiuon posed by another poster, thus it was out of context.
    Religion = Fine

Religion + Human element = vary

In the latter case, while alone religion has no problems, when you involve humans with it, the results vary. As with pretty much any ideaology. But to say that religion is not at fault because of those flaws is silly.

24. Edo Αρχίδια

man you're confusing...first you say religion is fine then you say it is not!!!

your "Religion = Fine" really contradicts "But to say that religion is not at fault because of those flaws is silly"

let make this very simple....IS RELIGION AT FAULT OR NOT....(regardless of the people that follow it and their flaws)?

25. Edo Αρχίδια

man you're confusing...first you say religion is fine then you say it is not!!!

your "Religion = Fine" really contradicts "But to say that religion is not at fault because of those flaws is silly"

let make this very simple....IS RELIGION AT FAULT OR NOT....(regardless of the people that follow it and their flaws)?

26. Adonis Logical Positivist

Glad God takes time out of his presumably busy schedule to make your life "rich." If only he took that type of time and effort with certain other parts of the world.

Point is: what an ego on you.

In regard to the topic, it's as everyone else has says: religion is a tool to be both used and misused. Why do people blame religion, then? Simple, they only blame religion when the followers are enacting the rules stated in said religion. For example, if the Bible said to stone women who had premarital sex, which it does, and I did, would religion not be to blame? True, it's my fault for following such an archaic verse but wouldn't religion have convinced me that my Bible is infallible and God's word must be carried out. You can claim "interpretation" all you want but the passages about stoning and killing aren't figurative in the least; they're pretty cut and dry.

To summarize, the blame is usually 50-50. It's the religion's fault for suggesting such things and claiming to be infallible and the person's fault for following it and not realizing that it's a 2,000 year old book written by some old geezers with too much time on their hands.

27. Red Keep Cool, Carry On.

But people should keep in mind that most institutions with great power and influence do this. not only religion singling religion out is just way to blame ll present problems and past actions on religion is not right and fair.

28. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

The people who believe in it are humans, the most destructive creature on the planet.

29. Mintaka Well-Known Member

Whats wrong with it's followers: EVERYTHING!

30. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

My main problem with religion is its often (not always) completely counter-logic.

Faith is belief without reason, belief without reason is completely illogical.
    Granted we all need to take small leaps of faith every now and then, but basing your entire life around a system of belief without reason is lunacy.