1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

What is the MOST important thing in life?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Skye, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Skye Purple People Eater

So, what is it?

Money? Content-nes? Friends? Happiness? Honor? Fame? Something else?

Many of these are intertwined with each other, but I was just wondering what you guys feel is the absolute most important thing in life.

Or, to put into different words: "If life was a game, the winner of this game would be the one who is __________ ?"

In the blank, fill out whatever you think is right. Perhaps 'the richest' or 'the happiest' , etc.

Yeah, just wondering what you all believe in the subject.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
    Tags:
  2. Gaia DEIDARA IS ALIVE!!!!

Learning to live and being happy are the most important things.
    I don't know how people can think that money is the key to happiness.

3. NinjaJedi007 d[-_-]b

^ Uh, what was that all about? Anyway, if I had to choose it'd probably be to have a person very close to you. The feeling of being alone in this world is quite a terrible one. Seeing others with best friends or lovers can drive you insane if you have none. Having some sort of companion or friend helps you through life big time. You have someone to talk to, trust, and depend on. Think basically all the characters in Naruto actually :amuse

4. ghostgal Member

To be happy with what I can achieve. dunno... I think that's the most important thing in life for me.

5. kapsi Banned

To get laid.

6. Alone Crawling in the dark

Too see the Naruto anime so fast as you can! ;)

7. Haik is back

religion is the most importent in life.

8. Lien small and mighty

My family...Especially my mum and dad cos if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be here =]

9. kurisawa shinigami elite

doing the best in anything to your best potential.

10. ?Naruto-Kun? ........?

My Family, My Friends, My Drugs, My Sports :) nuff Said :D

11. Skye Purple People Eater

Heh, interesting reponses...

Like I said, all these are intertwined mostly. For me, it'd be having good trustful friends. I would say happiness, but when I thought about it, some "crazy necrophiliac pyscho sex crazed" people are happy through 'bad' ways..

So yeah, all these things have a downside. We were discussing this with a couple of my friends, and many said being content. Now, on the surface, it looks right. But if you were content, you would have no motivitation to do anything, or do better than you can do. You would never be moving forward.

Meh, more input would be nice.

12. Tesh ElfQuest

My take on it is that the time you are truly happy is when you are pursuing your life goal (or succeed in it). Be it to make money or build a career, become famous, discover your spirituality or whatever - if it is your life goal, go for it. If you ignore your true desire, I think in time you'll grow more and more unhappy because you didn't use your time on earth doing what you really wanted.

So the question isn't what is THE most important thing, but what the most important thins it to yourself. Or perhaps that's the same thing. I can't really think, it's too late.

Is it really, though? I know many poor people, including myself, who believe money does not equal hapiness. To automatically call someone rich because they do not care about money isn't very right.

Yup, I've shared your experience, I know it totally blows and it's really shameful (or at least I was ashamed of it when I was younger). Still, as long as I can do what I really want to do, it doesn't matter if I make much money doing it or not. As long as I have to stay alive and pursue the goals of my life I'm grateful.

13. ThiefKing Your Almighty God

LMAO, I like to say I live in the moment, and you know what? I'm dead broke, I'm behind on my car payment, I owe tons of people money, and it's doubtful if I'll be working in the next couple of weeks. But you know what? I'm just fine, I know my mom works hard to keep a roof over my head (as well as my sisters) head, I know she has to work with some assholes, I know she has to go through shit. But you know what? She does it 'cause she has to. So sorry if you had a shitty life, but don't go all crazy on others viewpoints cause of it.

While money is important, I'd say the most important thing in life is to have a constant. Someone or something that will always be there for you, no matter what. Of course this could change from time to time, but stability IMHO is very important in leading a good/decent/nice/comfortable life.

14. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

I would say my family and my friends, without whom I would be nothing. When you have good family and good friends no matter what happens you always have someone watching your back.

15. kapsi Banned

Money don't make happy only people who don't have them.

16. SoulFire .....Nah

Please, Money does make you happy. And i dont care what anyone says. People who dont have money use the "Well money does not make you happy" excuse to get away from the fact they are plain and simple, broke.

That being said, i dont think there is anything that can be most important in your life. I value lots of things, but i really do not consider anything to be most important, mainly to avoid being suffocated with it because i dont have it. Has any of you ever realised that the one thing you want out of life seems to be out of reach? =]

So, my most "important" thing in life would be to focus on the things i can have and do, instead of wondering constantly what would make my life better? What is i need?! Feh.

I'm already happy, i make a good amount of money every month, i have a nice group of friends, a familly i actually like and an awesome wife / kid.

But i worked for it, so i suggest you stop thinking about what it is you really want, and then take it, ITS YOURS! :laugh

17. yo586 Member

eh, i think money can only make you happy to the extent that it provides the opportunity to live a comfortable lifestyle with many options. if you can somehow find out how to do this without money, then you can find happiness anyways. and if by making money you somehow destroy your chances of living a comfortable lifestyle, well then- that money really isn't making you too happy.
    however, if anyone finds a way to get around money and live comfortably without it, please enlighten me on ur secret haha

what do i think can make you happiest? well i don't know if there is any ONE path to true happiness. rather whatever works for you. if you appreciate money and it makes you happy, more power to you. same goes for friends, religion, love, a good job, etc etc. point is whatever you can appreciate and be satisfied in life with, that is what you will find brings you the most joy

edit: reading that made me think how corny it was!

18. kireato .........

'Learning to live and being happy' Those are the most important things in life. As for the way to get to happiness. Well everyone has his own path. I personally think that laughing is proof i'm happy.

I'm happy when i can play. I'm happy when i talk with my friends. I'm happy when someone tells me I've done something well. So you see, currently, my happiness is only motivated by those events. It'll certainly change. But right now, i don't care much about anything else.

19. princesstaco Tastes like...

I don't think happiness is the most important thing in life. Think about all the people who sacrificed their lives fighting for what they believe in. I highly doubt they were happy doing it, yet I doubt too many people will say that someone who gave up his or her life for someone else wasted their life. And besides, if your main goal in life is to be happy, how the heck do you go about achieving that? Happiness is a side result of achieving some goal, be it getting a good grade on an exam, getting a sucessful job, or finally convincing your parents to let you borrow that extra $1000. You don't become happy by sitting in your butt with the intent of becoming happy; you need to do more than that.
    I think the most important thing in life is love-the love between family, friends, for God, respect for living things, ideals etc etc.

20. akuma no omoigakenai saku El Chupacabra

the only thing I can think of to say about money and happiness is something I heard a comedian say once. It went something like:

People say money doesn't buy happiness. Well, I don't know about that, but I can tell you one thing for sure. Poverty doesn't buy happiness.

that may have come up already, but I didn't read most of the posts.

21. akuma no omoigakenai saku El Chupacabra

why is love more important than happiness?

what can love do for you other than make you happy (or more content at least).

money, love, family, security, sweet sweet candy, and even drugs are just means to an end. Happiness, or pleasure, is that end.

people might be hapy to die for a cause, because their cause is more important to them than their life, so the knowledge that they are dying for the cause makes them happy.

the same goes for religion, which may or may not have come up in a lot of posts here. sin might seem pleasurable, but a lot of religious people believe that eternal happiness of some kind is the reward for forgoing that little bit of sinful giddiness, and the idea of something great waiting is pleasant while they wiat. so by being faithful to their beliefs, they gain happiness.

Personally, I prefer the sin. It's a sure bet.

22. tootaa18 That Sweet Moment Will Come

i think the best thing in life is living the moment and enjoying it because it never comes back

what`s the use of money if you can`t spare the time to spend it?
    what`s the use of love if you don`t find a minute to tell your dear ones that you love them?

i really think that you should ENJOY what you have in every moment of your life ^^

23. Ginnylin Uchiha Yujia

agree with pretty much everything said in here.

The way i see it is... Money is important to the extent that yes, it can provide you with a lot more opportunities which you can choOse to take or reject. I do believe that if my parents had better jobs, made more money my life would have just been THAT little bit easier in terms of material wants and needs during my school yrs. And yes, i could have been at a better university and such things if my parents had more money. But everyday, when those kind of thoughts come into my head, i know in my heart that my parents have made the best of the lot they were dealt when they immigrated to Australia with the skills they had.

BUT, the childhood that i had (some of it living off government support and 2nd hand shops) made me realize that money isnt everything in life. My family, despite our debts and problems, are at the end of the day quite grateful for what we have. Despite having no money, i have managed to get a highskool and college education. Having little money also directed me to go down a path of public service when so many people i know go down the path of 'oooh, i want to make a million $s a yr'. <-- which is still a valid life style to choose.

I spose, in that light, i think what are the MOST important in life are family/friends/support network and motivation. Motivation in the way that will never let you sit on your ass and groan about your 'fate' or bad luck. Motivation that will push you to improve yourself and the conditions that those you love live in. Motivation that will make you realize that you are always more fortunate than SOMEONE out there no matter how dire your circumstances are.. and hopefully that will make you want to make a contribution to the community =)

there concludes my spiel.

24. Virtual Alpha Banned

Err...I don't know, but whatever it is i'm missing it. >_>

25. JayG Konoha's Beautiful Green Beast

Air (Oxygen specifically) and breathing, because without it, we die. :smile-big

26. zere lalala

Learning how to maximise your potential and of course, being happy..

27. Lucero del Alba <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

My friends, the people I care about are the most important thing in my life. I would gladly give up everything I have to ensure their happiness and/or well-being, even my life if need be. They are the only reason that I can trudge throught the slums of everyday life, and the only reason I have to live, they mean more than the world to me. Nothing else even rivals that in my mind, not money, love, personal happiness, nothing.

28. KnightstaR spilling blood in 8mm

very simple. have as much fun as you possibly can and help anybody that needs it along the way :)

29. Tourniquet reBorn.

Lol there are many important things in life.. I heard someone say: 'The most important thing is that you actually live. That you got the chance to be what you are now..'

I like that :)

30. gitwer Spewer of Wisdom

The most important thing in life is simple, in two parts: being able to answer this question on your own, and realizing that you have whatever the answer is.
    -Philosophical G :p