1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Voting is live in the KCC Short Story Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice

Whatever happened to hand seals?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Vatatzes, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Vatatzes

Remember when Zabuza and Kakashi busted out with crazy ass complicated hand seal and did amazing jutsus. Remember the Hokage battle with jutsus from all sides, along with the then required hand seals. Now its seems like Kishi is foregoing hand seals all together, he also seems to be limiting the use of jutsus, he really havent seen one in Part 2 at all. I understand why, he probably is foregoing hand seals in favor of taijutsu so that the anime would be faster paced and the fights more action packed and stuff.
    But those types of fights arent my favorite. I've always been a fan of crazy jutsus like ShikaFujin and Edo Tensei or the forest jutsu Shodai created. I just hate how Part 2 is going so far.
    What happened to hand seals!

Tags:
  2. TEK

I think they'll come but not til much later. When they face a ninjutsu type fighter, that's when we'll see it. Sasori is not really a ninjutsu type so we didn't see it. Deidara uses his mouth-hands to create things so it's not necessary for him to do so. But I hope they use it later. And some of the seals they use could be long but we have to assume that their hand seal speed has improved and maybe that's why we don't see the long hand seals. I like this fast paced action but I would like to see some long hand seals every now and then too. But it doesn't bother me too much if they don't.

3. Chamcham Trigger

Maybe they're doing the hand seals out of the pannels :huh

4. Vatatzes

all excellent points. I am giving you reps and a projectile bunny for Christmas

*note - these bunnies explode on impact

5. funjat

hand seals are for procrastinators. let intense whup-ass begin immediately.

6. Satetsu

Well so far most of the new ninja's reveal's fighting style doesn't require handseals..now if your talking about the disappearance of handseals altogether...I agree. I haven't seen them doing a sequence of handseals in a while.

7. Vince Johnson

8. DKFize

handseals got too difficult to remember, thus the creation of the rasengan and the overuse of the sharingan

9. funjat

if u are serious about this statement: which is more difficult, performing a sequence of hand seals learned at student academy level or unleashing and controlling all of your entire body's chakra.

10. Mizura

So they haven't bothered wasting frames on hand-seals that all look alike after you've seen them for the nth time anyway. Big deal. =\

11. -GoW-

The hands seals in those fights mentioned (Oro vs Sandaime, kakashi vs zabuza) were amazing. Now they just say the name or do simple seals. But... it's all good. I like it anyways

12. Rikudou

Well the shinobi Naruto & co. had to fight were all people with 'abilities', rather than jutsu's. The sound five all had their abilities and cursed seals.
    Even Sai only needs to draw on a piece of paper, instead of summoning them with seals.

I think seals will re-enter the stage as soon as Sasuke appears.

13. Shogun

i am sure they will be back with avengence, like rambo...

14. AmenoKitarou

Think of it like this: Just because WE don't see them doesn't mean they don't do them at all.
    Example: Lots of people were curious why Kawarimi seemed to need no seals, and the only person who was seen using seals for it was Sakura.

Simple: Sakura was the only one charging straight at an enemy with kawarimi. If they showed you the hanseals everytime someone did a jutsu, you'd lose the unexpectedness wouldn't you. Like Kawarimi, people will just go: "oh he did seals, nothing's gonna happen to him, its kawarimi anyway"
    Therefore Kishi doesn't let the reader see what the characters are doing in the smarter fights.

Oro vs Sandaime was a head to head full combat fight with no real strategy. A pure battle of strength. - therefore handseals all round for you.

Sakura vs sound dude- She only knew one jutsu that protects her, and only know one way to face an enemy, which is: Charge with weapons. If things turn bad just kawarimi out of there.
    So we get handseals there too.

Fights like

Demon brothers attacks kakashi: There will be NO FUN at all for us readers, if kishi made kakashi look alert....then madly to the kawarimi seals....would there?

There's my views on this.
    My theory is that every regular jutsu need seals. So regular ninjas always did seals. No exceptions. Just that we don't get to see them due to strategic reasons.
    Its only those wierd people with puppets or mouth on hands don't need the seals.

15. tmmyc

Forget handseals, what happened to Sasuke and Orochimaru?

16. Final Ultima

Well personally, I'm somewhat grateful that they aren't so complex anymore.

17. isanon

18. funjat

if u are serious about this statement: which is more difficult, drawing a sequence of hand seals learned at student academy level or drawing the unleashing and controlling all of your entire body's chakra.

19. Leen

Just so u know, he is the person that observes and lists down all the hands seals for every jutsus in Naruto anime and manga.

So, without the hand seals in the manga nowadays, it makes his life less complex and easier. :wink He is not saying about the drawing, but the sequence of hand seals that are very difficult to follow, especially in anime. That's my opinion.

20. Final Ultima

Yeah, it doesn't help that the person who uploads the list for me hasn't bothered to update it in like a month, so while my list is up-to-date, you can't see the up-to-date version yet. <_<

21. Leen

Final Ultima, your list is good enough already. I am still wondering about kage bunshin though. There's really no hand seals like that, do they?? :huh

22. Final Ultima

I would still like to have my updates go through though.

23. FitzChivalry

We know hand seals exist in Naruto. Is it really necessary for them to show us the hand seals before they perform a move every time? I don't think it is, unless it's a new jutsu, obviously.:thumbs I think we're going to see more in the future.
    Yes, good point. Also, Naruto's signature moves like Kage Bunshin and Rasengan require one handseal....between the two of them! Rasengan requiring nothing....
    This too.

24. Megaharrison Retired Staff

Handseals are still around...Itachi used handseals for his fire attack, and Kisame for all his water jutsu's. Kakashi also made a handseal for his mangekyou. Lastly, Deidara used a handseal (and also one handed ones) to explode his bombs each and every time.

The first use of handseals way back in the Zabuza arc was long just to introduce them to us. After that there hasn't been any really long use of complicated handseals.

25. Aman

26. funjat

Sorry, I misunderstood. Although I enjoy the fast sequence of hand seals in the anime.
    btw: banned?

27. hesd

I really like watching Naruto characters perform hand seals. I hope the animators won't do away with them. I also see hand seals as the defining characteristic of Naruto fights. I'm so fed up with kamehamewave and raygun and the whatnot. Also, the aura thingy is so ubiquitous in DBZ and (thank goodness) has been modified in Naruto..I like the latter anime's distinction. It's fresh and..umm..just the best!

28. icoselitham

It would be hard for kishi to remember and draw hand seals for ever justu.

29. gabha

I miss them too.They are part of what make the naruto fights specia,. But there is still hope that the animators will add some.

30. Siky

Funny thing to ask when the obvious answer is just rewording your question so that it doesn't actually send you into a loophole of even more redundant questions.

What is more difficult? Drawing the unleashing and control of your entire body's chakra or having to draw that as well as panels of hand seals as well? Then to tack on every fan's annoyance that the hand seals are taking up too much space and delaying more interesting events since I'm pretty sure most people take a second to look at the hand seals that take quite a bit of time to draw anyways =p