1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

What's up with power levels

Discussion in 'Meta Battledome' started by Volt manta, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volt manta

People often use power levels as justification for DBZ characters being X strong, the most common one being roshi's moon busting shit, but we're not going there. The problem is nobody knows what power levels are. What are the units of measurement? Are they linear or exponential? How does one even rate a power level,anyways? If Goku can bust a planet in base with kameha(theoretics), but can only destroy a mountain with a ki blast, do we rate him on the first or the second? I just... don't know how power levels can be feasibly used when we know nothing about them.
    ...Or am I just rambling? I haven't seen a DBZ thread in a while, so please tell me if they're not accepted anymore.

Tags:
  2. ThanatoSeraph

Higher power level= higher ki level and thus more powerful

And that's about as far as we can actually quantify it.

3. Tacocat

It doesn't matter whether they're linear, exponential, logarithmic, or what have you. 1000>100, so a person with a PL of 1000 > a person with a PL of 100.

4. Catalyst75

Back in the fight against Raditz, Goku's Kamehameha registered on the scouter at 1030, and Piccolo's Light of Death at its strongest at 1330. In regards to their base power level, it is a 2.5 - 3.25 times increase. As a result, it stands to reason that Ki attacks that concentrate and focus energy in their preparation are radically more powerful than the fighter's base strength and attacks.

5. iwandesu Moderator

Isn't that difficult. more base power level= more dc, speed and Durability, it isn't exponencial , linear and nothing like this is just weird:giogio
    >With 200 you can blast a city ( daimaou)
    > with 320 seems to be multi-city level ( piccolo Jr.)
    > 400 and 440 is what they need to blew the moon. ( the infamous outlier and piccolo feat)
    > 18.000 is vegeta gallick gun which was meant to destroy the earth
    >500.000 Freeza's death ball which destroyed a 10 x earth density planet
    > somewhere between 6 and 60 mi was what Freeza needed to perform the destruction of Namek which is much bigger than saturn
    > 260 mi cell solar kamehameha is meant to ( Well destroy the sun)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  6. willyvereb

Yeah, powerlevels and such tend to be just plain ordinary scales.
    In-universe they are supposed to be quantified and the difference technically drawing a linear relation.
    But they are used so inconsistently that it turns into a mess.
    Often powerlevels are only useful for comparing two characters.
    The one with higher PL should have higher power, but only by an unquantifiable amount.

7. Volt manta

Thanks for clearing that up. One more favor: close this thread for me, will 'ya? I got what I needed, and there tends to be...sensitivity about this subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.