1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

When Orochimaru left Akatsuki. The common cause of confusion

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by 4ghost, Dec 2, 2005.

1. 4ghost Seimei

"フフ
    全員がこうして
    そろうのは...
    七年前
    大蛇丸が
    組織を抜けた時
    以来だな"

The above was translated In chapter 238 of the Inane scanlation page 17 as the Akatsuki member saying the following.

"FuFu... all of us meeting together like this...
    We haven't done this since 7 years ago... when Orochimaru left the organization.."

This has caused some conflict and confusion because seven years ago although Itachi may have been in the organization he was just about 13 years old at the time. That detail is significant because Itachi was, according to Orochimaru, the reason for him leaving the organization. The other conflict with this was Jiraiya telling Kakashi that Orochimaru had just recently left that organization.

While I was rereading some of the chunin exam I came across more information that suggests that Orochimaru's departure from Akatsuki was recent as opposed to seven years ago. When Kabuto was talking with the genin he told them that he had no information on the hidden sound village since it was a small village that was just created a year ago.

After reading that I decided to translate the text to see what I would come up with. Since I'm still learning the language my translation might not be any more accurate than what we already have. Any way this is what I have.

フフ
    kuku
    全員がこうしてそろうのは...
    all members together in this way(like this)
    七年前
    was seven years ago(it's been seven years)
    大蛇丸が組織を抜けた時以来だな
    Orochimaru has escaped the organization since then. (since that time)

Again I could be wrong check it with someone better than me.

Tags:
  2. FitzChivalry Person of Internet

Your translation would likely rid us of the confusion we're experiencing now.

3. zagman505 Shakou, Hitsuki!

wow. if this translation is right, then that'd clear up a TON. cool!

4. Lexiefaye I'm done. Your move.

I'm more interested in the term "escaped" ... that makes it seem like Orochimaru had to do much to get out of Akatsuki... not just not show up one day.

5. ShounenSuki Ruler of Penguins

This would explain a lot.
    I found it odd that Akatsuki apparently hadn't caught a Bijuu in 7 years. (Shukaku was the first Bijuu they caught without Orochimaru in the organisation) This would clear that up ^^

6. 4ghost Seimei

Since he has his body less hand, with Akatsuki ring still attached, in his lair it might be an accurate description of his leaving Akatsuki. However I think there were some other ways that I could have translated those characters where the aggresive word of escape wouldn't be used.

7. Chi Technical knockout

Nicee... If only some more translators confirmed that it's possible..

And Itachi was like 10-11 years if it was really 7 years ago.. He was like 17(?) when he and Kisame came to Konoha...

8. shintebukuro Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when Nihongaeri confirms it.

9. Spy_Smasher Well-Known Member

Agreed. And when he does, I'll rep you, 4ghost. ;)

10. Akaichikyu jounin

the funny thing is that oro still has the ring.

11. Lexiefaye I'm done. Your move.

those rings are gonna come back to haunt us - can't wait!

12. Danchou Antagonist

That makes a hell off a lot difference. But.. this means the end for all the cute theories that say 13yo Itachi > Orochimaru. :(

Let's wait for confirmation.

13. Alia_Atreides Mew...

Im still confused. When did Orochimaru said that he left Akatsuki because of Itachi? I had never understood like that, so I would be very thankful if some one could give me episode number or manga chapter where he says that.
    TX
    :)

14. Noex Member No. 4154

well i have no memory of Oro saying that he left coz of itachi he only says that he tried to take itahcis eye but that is a lost dream now coz he is more powerful then me now or soemthing liek that, so he probaly left coz he found out about Sasuke, a smaller and younger and weaker version of Itachi, easier to snatch, and he could take his time to take sasuke within the Akatsuki so he created his own village with his own rules. thats what i think anyhow, but nice stuff the 4ghost

15. Tautou Member

I'll have to wait for some confirmation till I believe that translation, unfortunately. I'd love it if you were right, 4ghost, but translators happened to leave this out in many of their translations.

Kishimoto probably wasn't certain why Itachi would kill his clan in order to measure himself and such, so he decided he'd make Itachi associate with the Akatsuki before he did so. Then he connects the pieces by making Itachi the greatest genius to have ever been in the Academy, and makes Sasori mention something about a trial of some sort needed to enter the Akatsuki.

So, while I hope the above translation is correct, I have to question it. Hasn't been corrected before, and I think it'd have been done for a specific purpose.

Read chapter 140 or 141 again. Orochimaru said something on the lines of, "If Uchiha Itachi was with us, there would have been no problems. However, that's just an impossible dream to wish for, because he's stronger than me. That's why I left that organization."

16. Sho Active Member

全員がこうしてそろうのは...

(We haven't) had all the members gathered like this (since)

七年前

7 years ago

大蛇丸が組織を抜けた時以来だな"

Since the time Orochimaru left the organization

That's if you take them separately. However, for the best possible translation, you must take them as a whole. So the most literal translation is:

It's been 7 years (since) we've been gathered like this. Since the time Orochimaru left the organization.<<=== in other words, the last time they met was when Orochimaru left the organization 7 years ago.

This is the part that you're having trouble with: "大蛇丸が組織を抜けた時以来だな." (part in bolded)
    If you wanted to say, "Orochimaru has left the organization since then," you would most likely say these options IMO:

-"あれ以来、大蛇丸が組織を抜けた."
    -"それ以来、大蛇丸が組織を抜けた."
    -"その時以来大蛇丸が組織を抜けた."
    even just:
    -"以来大蛇丸が組織を抜けた."
    etc.

From my point of view, the original translation still stands. Feel free to check with other translators, but I think this is the best translation.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  17. slumpy doesn't need a Custom title

i think think youre transaltion, would clear up a lot,

18. dhJackBurton It's NERV or nuth'n!

More Japanese literate forum goers need to respond.

I am ignorant, so I can't help, but clarifications can't hurt :)

19. 4ghost Seimei

Thanks for the information that helps me out in a couple of ways. Before the only other translation that I could find when I was looking it up was Inane's. It seems that the naruto community didn't have a number of translators until after part 2 had been out for awhile. I'll also try to check with another translator to get their insight on it as well.

20. Raptor Vagabond

To put it simple, Oro is just an anoying bug to him :amuse

That's the end of it

21. OniTasku [Weeabro for life]

Ah, if only it was that easy.

Perhaps this is just one plot hole that Kishimoto accidently stumbled into. =/