1. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We invite you to join two banner contests in  New Leaf and Naruto Battledome.

Dismiss Notice

Where does this manga rank among your favorite shonen?

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Juub, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Juub Well-Known Member

I have been told multiple times to read My Hero Academia as it is ostensibly, the "next step in Shonen evolution" according to some pundits. One thing of note that caught my attention was apparently the lack of power creep in the series, that is, the next villain isn't always stronger than the previous one and there isn't an endless progression of one antagonist upping the ante over their predecessor.

With that said, among mainstream shonen manga, where does it rank for you? I've heard it was comparable to Full Metal Alchemist(perhaps even better) and that it's as enjoyable as One-Punch Man, except it has more story and character development.

Thank you in advance for your input

@Xiammes @Luiz @Ye Xiu

Tags:
  2. BreadBoy #1 Kale Fan

So far in terms of series in the mainstream and shonen genre... It might be number 2-3 for me.

Horikoshi feels as much of a writer as he is an artist, and it shows. It's not just a battle slugfest, and wins aren't decided necessarily by who is knocked out at the end.

I would recommend this series even to non manga readers.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  3. Donquixote Doflamingo Master Puppeteer

Almost didn't recognize you with that avatar of yours.

It's not better than FMA. It's enjoyable read though, better than mainstream popular shonen. In quality. But for some reason I don't enjoy it as much as I did with Naruto, Bleach and etc.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  5. Fleet Admiral Akainu A.K.A. Frank Grimes

I don't think it comes close to being the best at anything, and some things outright infuriate me. The series does however create it's own interpretation of heroes and hero society that's unique, and the true moments of heroism plus genuine feeling attached to those moments makes the manga worth it.

6. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Its probably one of my favorite works right now. How it ranks overall? Dunno, maybe top 5, certainly top 10.

7. Juub Well-Known Member

I did enjoy Bleach and Naruto but only Part 1 for Naruto and Bleach up until the end of the Hueco Mundo arc.

I'm heading to this manga with extremely high expectations. Maybe I should temper them a bit.

8. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

If there is anything its the next step in, its the pacing. My Hero, at least for a Jump title, doesn't move at a piss poor pace. The longest arc in My Hero is like 40 chapters long, its twice as long at the previous longest arc. Plot progression is fast, fights rarely take up more then a chapter and a half, the ones that do are worth every chapter as they tell a story, not depict a fight.

Not without its issues, Horikoshi himself doesn't have the same stamina a lot of other top jump artists have, he isn't well suited to pace and my biggest fear is that he gets majorly ill from the massive amount of overwork. He is also a author of passion, when he isn't feeling something, it affects his work. My Hero was his third Weekly Shounen Jump published title, his other two works were canceled rather quickly, it was a series that Jump didn't expect or really want to succeed. Hori decided to just write and draw the things that made him happy, his emotion is felt through pages and because of that, he was able to connect to a large amount of people without Jumps help. He grabbed the brass ring from the bottom. However this is a double sided effect, he doesn't particularly like when things get too dark, there is a least one moment where he admitted his writing suffered because he wasn't happy going in a totally dark direction.

The thing that inspires him are big hero moments, its why he loves American comics. The creation of All Might, the number 1 hero and mentor to the MC is from reading Dragon Ball, when Goku comes and saves people from Freeza. He said he never felt so relieved, happy and estatic before as a child, and the strong belief that everything will be alright because Goku is there, he will find a way to win.

I think one of the hurdles and confusing things for people is that My Hero isn't a battle manga, its a character driven drama with action scenes. If you go in expecting detailed fights and battle systems, you will be sorely disappointed, the action is merely a vessel to tell a story.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. Djomla Student

Same here. Maybe I'm so used to shonen rule of everyone getting a lot stronger during time and every villain being more dangerous than the previous one and that's the reason I didn't quite enjoy this series. But like I said it is a quality read.

Good luck then. You could also go for anime. It follows the manga and is good. Pace, animation, voice acting. Everything is top notch. And I see that season 2 and 3 both have good ratings from users on MAL.

10. BreadBoy #1 Kale Fan

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. MHA is a shonen that is rather different from many of the big shonens because it focuses more on the characters within the universe and their struggles and various goals and aspirations. It's not as 1v1 fight focused as series like Bleach or Naruto were.

11. The Big G King Of The Monsters

MHA is a completely character driven story. Way so more than previous shonen stories have been where its more of "Which bad guy comes next" as opposed to MHA's path of "what will the character do next"

To me where Hori shines is in his pacing ( i feel he's writing at a brisk walk/light jog) no arcs feel like they overstay their welcome and none of them feel too short. Plus the way he can shift the sense of tension from a giant arc ala Overhaul to a mini arc like the chapters at the Make Hero Exam classes and then to the Cultural Festival is great. He was able to go from what felt like a big avengers story trying to save the world to a story that's comparable to SPidey trying to make it to Prom but he's got a member of the Sinister Six robbing a bank to deal with. TWO COMPLETELY different feels but there was still tension and growth for Deku. He does it better than a lot of American comic writers.

12. Haruka Katana

Japan
    Catdank Faction:
  13. overlordpringerx Well-Known Member

Well, I still like Fullmetal alchemist, One Piece, Twinstar exorcist, Zatch bell, Digimon adventure and Digimon Tamers more. It's definitely in my top 10.

14. Courier Six Lord of Dreams

Flag:
    Egypt, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Serbia, Russia, Portugal, Germany, France, England, Denmark, Croatia, Belgium, Uruguay, Peru, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Australia, Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Senegal, Nigeria, Morocco, Sokovia, Poland, Iceland, Barbados, Canada, China, United States, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago
    Catdank Faction:
    Top 5 for sure.
    I enjoy the whole Superhero theme and the way Hori writes his characters.

It definitely has flaws for sure that stop it from being a No1 for me.
    Such as the lack of a world building that I think everyone has already gone over.
    Some characters that I feel are either wasted or should honestly get kicked out.

Overall it’s an enjoyable shounen and I would reccomend it to anyone who wants a good Shounen to reach through.

15. ~VK~ The King

Top 15 maybe? Idk there's a lot of good shit out there i'd have to rewatch before giving a definitive answer. Saying top 5 right now would feel like i'm just living in the moment. Besides MHA is barely even halfway done. Too early to compare it too already finished works. Could get better. Could get a lot worse. Naruto at the chapter 200 mark would've easily been up there at my list...it's not anymore.

16. Juub Well-Known Member

Very good post and very informative as well.

It doesn't bother me too much that it's not a battle manga. In fact, I think it might be better for me. I simply hope it won't fall into the same old shonen traps and tropes that are all too common. Lack of focus, poor direction, plot stretched thin, side characters getting too much screen time or not enough etc.

The best part is the anime is also of high quality. I quite like the One Piece manga but the anime is of such piss poor quality I don't even know how people manage to watch it. I don't expect Attack On Titan/One Punch Man level of quality every time but I do expect it to be a cut above the abomination that was DBS episode 5.

17. BreadBoy #1 Kale Fan

The anime is quite good almost all of the time. Music is top notch, character subbing and dubbing are great, and they know how to make the important scenes impactful. The anime also takes some good time to expand on certain scenes and allow for more characters to be showcased without it getting cluttered or drawn out.

18. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

Let's see, what are those for me?

Gintama, HxH, JJBA, YYH, Bastard!, Dragonball, Hajime no Ippo, One Piece, School Rumble
    *Yeah, Bastard and JJBA eventually graduated into seinens, but their shonen content is still tops
    *OPM is published in a seinen webmag in Japan, so if you're wondering why it's not in here, that's why.

9 Clear favorites that I currently would not put MHA over. 9 different mangas with totally different strengths, weaknesses and even genres, but all of which left an undeniable impact and impression upon me. Does MHA deserve to come in, stand beside them as a favorite and make it a top 10? Would I put it ahead of stuff that I loved and enjoyed like Naruto, Bleach, Slam Dunk, FMA, Beelzebub, NNT, Trigun, Magi,etc.?

Maybe.

I do have a certain attachment to it that I don't with the all the other classics. I've been following it since pretty close to its start and through to now. Hell, I've read Horikoshi's Bulge Ssensei as it was being serialized. And to see the guy go from someone who couldn't even get the Prince and the Pauper in Space right, to the guy who wrote exceptional moments like the Kamino Ward, the Cultural Festival and the High End fight . . . I mean, he still has issues, but to see that journey has been rewarding as all hell. So there is that.

Is it number 10 then? There's a lot more that goes into it, but essentially, yeah. MHA is my 10th most favorite shonen.

19. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

Definitely in my top five, a lot of it having to do with it being a character driven story. If I don't care about the characters and believe their personal hopes and struggles I have much less interest in their battles. The artistic style is also original and consistent, and the lack of ridiculously pompous and overblown villains without much depth is a definite plus.

20. OS The Entity

it's the top thing i look forward to weekly compared to others.

21. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

But all those that rank higher are basically the best shonen mangos ever :caticon

22. luffy no haki 1st seat

Hmmm.... not sure maybe TOP10 in an overall list though if its only current ongoing manga it is top 3.

23. MrCinos Student of Despair

Easily most anticipated weekly release overall. It doesn't mean that I rate it higher than some of the other manga I read, just that I'm more hyped for every new chapter.

24. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

Top 10, maybe top 5 but I'll have to check my preferences.

25. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

I'm a real picky eater in terms in consuming shonen, so I'm not sure how valuable my take is since I haven't seen as mant shonen as some of the others here, but it definitely one of favorites thus far in terms of shonen I have gotten into. Beautiful, iconic artstyle, interesting characters and developments, fun battles, if you wanted to sound intellectual you could totally say it's more a character drama coming of age story than an action series, and you wouldn't be wrong, but I wouldn't not say its a shonen. I think the series biggest strength is the fact its arrived in the wake of other long runners who ended up flopping and can therefore see what routes to not take.

Like everything, it has its flaws, no deal-breakers really, but a few niggles here and there in an otherwise fantastic series, and as VK brought up its still relatively early in its run, so there's a good chance a far bit of them can be fixed. I will say that I hope Horikoshi continues to make manga with the experience he's gained from BNHA and do another series that manages to be a hit, i feel like by then he'll have his barrings as a mangaka more and be able to create something that is quintessentially top 5 for any anime/shonen fan in the same way a HxH is.

It'd definitely reccomend it, but just an FYI going in, Bakugo's character DOES get WAY better, just trust me on this. Its rough at first but its a slow and worthwhile progression.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  26. PrazzyP HxH is life

27. Mythoclast Hyper Lethal

Egypt, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Serbia, Russia, Portugal, Germany, France, England, Denmark, Croatia, Belgium, Uruguay, Peru, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Australia, Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Senegal, Nigeria, Morocco, Sokovia, Poland, Iceland, Barbados, Canada, China, United States, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago
    Catdank Faction:
  28. Sixth Ranger Quantum Power!!

I'd argue it's only below the likes of One Piece, HxH, JJBA, Death Note, etc. As far as shonen goes at list.

30. TrueG 37 Well-Known Member

Up there higher in a top ten at least. Could improve with later chapters though.