1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Which character has the most character development?

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by Anthriel, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Anthriel

I always thought the answer to this answer to this question would have to be obvious, but recently, different opinions were stated very casually, and since I didn't want to lead these threads offtopic, I created a new one for it. Note that this is not about the "deepest" character, or any such nonsense, so don't just vote for your favorite character and call him the most interesting one. This is about the development and the attention a character has received throughout the story. In theory, this should be an objective value.

Tags:
  2. MangoNaruto

hmm....shouldnt you give us your opinion to start off and why?.....since it is your thread....so everyone gets a clearer idea of what exactly this thread is about or should be about?....cough*so we get a clue*cough:smile-big ...anyways im going out on a limb here i have to say Naruto?...this is Naruto the series...?

lol :tem

3. Megaharrison Retired Staff

Sasuke or Gaara most likely, both are significantly different then they were when they were first introduced.

4. Anthriel

Well, I already said I consider the answer quite obvious, I think it has to be Sasuke. The reason I created the thread to start with is to hear why some think other characters, for example Sakura or Naruto received more development.

At the beginning, he was just the typical loner, then during the Haku arc, he began to greatly care about his comrades up to the point of being willing to sacrifice his own life for Naruto. Then, he did a complete reversal again and turned into a villian who wanted to kill Naruto, only to become the grey character we currently have.

I think Naruto didn't receive much development. He became a bit more serious and responsible, more mature in general, but at the end of part 1 he is not all that much different from what he was at the start of the series.

Gaara definately developed quite a bit, but only in one way, from psychotic villian to good guy.
    Spoiler:
    I believe his development already reached it's climax when he became Kazekage. I doubt he will change from what he is right now ever again. And what he is right now, or what he was, is not really different from what he was at the end of part 1.

5. CyberPunk

Sasuke. Like Anthiel said, he's had a range of emotions and inner conflicts surpassing the other characters.

6. Crush!

7. vagnard

Sasuke. He had more stages as character than any other character in the manga. (silent hero, friendly rival, protector of his friends, avenger, angsty, fallen hero and tragic hero)

Other well developed character is Kakashi

8. Id

Hm.....Id go with Gaara, but in a sense that he is reaching his goals while taking the hard way to gain power for protection.

9. Sho

I've gotta agree and say that Sasuke is the most developed character and I'm just thinking objectively here when you consider all the events and interactions between in the story. In the beginning you just see this confident but really aloof guy who's not close to anybody and who believes that everyone just gets in his way. A little later you see him protecting his comrades, even at the potential cost of his own life, and not even him understanding why he does it (Zabuza arc when he protects them from the Demon Brothers and Naruto from Haku's needles.) Then when you get to the Chuunin exams, you really see what drives him(when he says to Sakura, "Am I strong?" and that he fights to get an answer to that question), and that not even a cursed seal will stop him on his path to doing so.

Then we see that he truly is willing to sacrifice his life for his friends, saying that he would never like to see one important to him to ever die before his eyes again against Gaara. When Itachi comes and goes however, we see how badly Itachi really affected him (with an explanation in a flashback), and now he feels weak and stagnant, as if he never had gained anything truly important that will aid him in his goal. When Kakashi talks to him however, we see that he really is considering his words about friends or revenge. Finally in the Valley of the End, Sasuke does realize that he cannot really destroy a friendship and that taking his own path is more important than following his brother's. It also shows that he won't do anything for power, unlike what he said before. That's why I think he's one of the most developed since he went through a lot of phases to finally ending up as a character following his own path, no matter what the cost but without regrets. A grey character.

I also think that Sakura is probably the second most developed. She was completely different at the beginning of the series now, but the thing many people forget is that her growth was gradual and not all of a sudden like it seems. Sakura first started changing(just a little) when Sasuke told her she was annoying, and that's when she realized that she probably needed to be a little more understanding of others. She really learned alot with that and learned to work in a team greatly during the Zabuza arc. There she was willing to lay her life down for her charge and her teammates. She grew by the tons during the Chuunin preliminaries; 1st by demonstrating her genjutsu knowledge against the Chuunins. Secondly was protecting her teammates when they were both unconcious. There (in the cutting hair off scene), she showed that she grew to be a true kunoichi, and it also exposed more her need to be on the same level as her teammates. Honestly I could go more on this, but all you need to do is see the result after the timeskip. It's just a natural extension of what she's shown before.

10. King Speed

yes sir, sasuke has had a lot of growth all together. I suppose its a pretty unanimous decision so far.

11. cool2not

sakura also has alot of room for futher development, it will be interesting to see how she grows and deals with her new found abilities. she's actually one of the few characters i've come to respect in part 2. but i agree that sasuke atm is the most developed.

12. Duality

Sasuke has the most character development.Gaara's development comes second but not even close with Sasuke's in how much.

Sasuke I can bet will have the most character development until the end of the series too.Think about it everyone's character development in part 1 is like 99% done except Sasuke's.And in part 2 we don't even know in which way his personality matured(good or bad).

13. deathbychocolate

i'd say team 7... seriously.. lotsa stuff revolve round them

14. Gempachi

Shikamaru, gotta go with my man on this one.

15. Miss CCV

SAKURA has had the most character development so far. I'm too lazy to explain the obvious reasons at the moment lol...

Elaborating on this, the reason why I chose Sakura is because of the following:

Spoiler: Some slight manga spoilers

Little girl who got picked on because of her forehead and got low self-esteem --> Ino seeks her out and increases her self-esteem --> She develops a crush on Sasuke --> Ends her friendship with Ino because both of them like him (I don't like how Sakura did this by the way) --> Is one of the smartest kunoichis in her class --> She has an "Inner Sakura" (that acts eerily like Naruto) --> Once Team 7 forms, she acts childish and somewhat timid around Sasuke but "bitchy" to Naruto --> Her heart grows heavier for Sasuke --> She slowly starts to respect Naruto as her friend --> She frequently cries her heart out for her team, especially Sasuke --> She becomes clingy to Sasuke and dependent of her teammates to defend her from harm --> She is weak and useless in battles --> Right before Sasuke leaves the village, she admits her love for him --> Post time-skip, she sees Naruto again and actually finds him to be more mature and attractive (compared to before) --> Her flambouyant feelings for Sasuke seem to be ambigious at the moment --> She doesn't cry as much as she used to --> The medical jutsus she learned from Tsunade helped her save the life of Kankurou --> She can easily concoct antidotes and medicines --> Her "Inner Sakura" seems to surface into "Outer Sakura" during the Sasori battle --> She displays enormous "Smashy, Smashy" strength --> She tries her hardest to protect Chiyo, taking in a katana to her torso for her --> She finally knows how to control her emotions

*WHEW*

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  16. Celess19

Well, I'd say it would definately be Gaara. He changed so much since when we first saw him... he was so agressive, unstable, and bloodthirsty...he couldn'teven understand or comprehend the wya people cared for each other, and how they risked their own life to protect other. Now, he doesn't understand it fully, but he's controlling himself, he understands a bit better what the meaning of caring for someone is, he's not as selfish as he used to be, now as a kazekage, he protects his village, and tries to be recognized by the persons in his village, which is totally a great developement, if you look at Gaara at his first appearances.

also, I would say that Sakura changed a lot too, she's more mature, and less selfish. She puts more efforts since she truly cares for Sasuke, more than before, and she wants him to come back...

Still don't know why people are saying Sasuke, I don't think his personnality changed a lot, it was predictable that he would have joined orochimaru to have more powers, the only thing he seems to truly care about, is avenging his clan, and for that, he needs to kill his brother. The only things that changed about Sasuke, is first, his strenght, he's just more powerful, and pursue the same goal from the beginning, and the second that changed also, is the fact that he cares for his friends, since he didn't seem to care about having friends before...but that's all.

17. Hitomi_No_Ryu

Sasuke has most character development. He went from:

dorky little brother --> angsty boy --> $(oops, #)1 rookie eyecandy --> slightly-merciful prick --> 'sacrifice-my-life' hero --> mister scaredy cat --> 'willing-to-die-trying' fighter --> CS1 Sasuke --> re-emerged avenger...who Itachi pwns --> 'jealous-of-Naruto' prick --> power-hungry traitor --> CS2 Sasuke

With that sort of development, he's on his way to being the next Vegeta!

18. dark_nemesis_7

19. Master Scorpion

Sasuke Uchiha is more development character! he is 1/2 squall leonhart 1/2 vegeta...and my next future husband ;)

20. Sneaky_Ninja!

Sneaky_Ninja! Says: "You got that right!"

21. xecret

but after reading what everyone said
    i gave up, sasuke wins >_>

22. Master Scorpion

The Bulma+Rinoa is Sakura ;)

23. DeathIsComing

we all know the answer to that question is Naruto, Sakura, and Hinata.

24. pengachu

definitely sasuke....or rather hinata(huge difference in her powers!)

and last but not least....neji

25. AceMyth

You know, the thing I like about this series is that this question can even seriously be asked at all. That it is being asked means that we have a solid character roster backed by actual developmental plot threads. It's much more common for the main character to hog the spotlight, surrendering it only when a minor character needs to function as a plot device for a scene or two.

26. Geese

Shikamaru. He went from a worthless, uncharismatic, one note, weakling jobber with a character trait that would end up nowhere fast (he's just some lazy guy *golf clap*) to one of the coolest, ORIGINAL and magnetic characters in any sort of manga genre you can think of (his intelligence coupled with his complacency is just awesome). His fights have grown to be even more entertaining than that of flashy fan favorites like Lee and Kakashi. The greatest thing about his development is the fact that he was a nothing background character for well over 40 chapters, but randomly recieved a strong personality/presence on a whim (perhaps he was given a stronger character because Naruto needed someone to interact with during the finals, as there's no way in hell he was going to have misadventures with the Sand trio, Shino or Neji, his opponent).

27. Mizura

Sakura. Though we haven't seen any flashy changes from her, she's the character who underwent the most subtle yet constant growth throughout the entire series.

When she started out she was nothing but a fangirl who went as far as to suggest that Naruto was lucky to not have parents. But ever since the Zabuza arc, she's been growing up, from staying in her teammates shadows to... well... ah what the heck. Copy/paste from my introduction in the Sakura fanclub, if you bother to read it:

Sakura's character is practically pure development. She started out with practically nothing, but gained everything throughout the series.

28. Naruto_Rasengan

im gonna say Naruto and sasuke will b equal.. thats it.. hmmm wait im forgeting some1... KAKASHI!!!!! ....

Spoiler: MAJOR manga spoiler
    for him to have MS is incredible.. Itachi said it was impossible... apparently he was wrong.. im saying Kakashi takes the cake

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2005
  29. Frozen-Sponge

I agree with most of the people in this thread when they say Sasuke, because he goes through so many stages. He's the one who went 'evil' after all by joining Orochimaru, and I think he'll develop some more when Naruto tries to get him back.

I only watch the anime so I don't know the specifics of post time-skip, but I think Sakura has grown lots simply because she wanted to become more independent (not wanting to be rescued or follow Ino anymore). I think she also becomes more useful after her training with Tsunade.

30. Lullaby

For many reasons that have probably been posted..