1. The first My Hero Academia Banner Contest is here! We are pleased to invite you to participate.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hello Guest,

The Konoha Country Club is hosting its first Poetry Competition!
    The theme of the competition is "What does friendship mean to you?"

If you are interested in entering, please click here.

-- NarutoForums Staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

6. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice
  7. [​IMG]

House of Uzumaki has a new banner contest! Please, check here for details and PM your vote.

Dismiss Notice

Which fictional power would be most useful in day-to-day life?

Discussion in 'Meta Battledome' started by Wobbly, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Wobbly Active Member

1. Note that I said "day-to-day life", so all wide scale destruction powers aren't allowed.
    2. Keep in mind that powers that are hazardous to your own health wouldn't be ideal to have.
    3. Avoid powers that would attract a lot of attention.
    4. Real world physics apply. So powers that make one intangible to walk through walls and other solid objects wouldn't work in the real world, because then you wouldn't be able to move forward, since your foot would just go through the ground. Forward motion would not be possible. This is only one example of a power that wouldn't work in the real world.
    5. Jutsu, spells, kidou, random powers gained by radiation, whatever is allowed. As long as they're not largely destructive or cosmic-level powers.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
    Tags:
  2. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

invisible, so if someone was looking for me to do something I didn't want to do, I could hide. That makes day to day life much easier I guess :oh

3. Dio Brando MADAO

I imagine some sort of telepathy/telekinesis would be most useful.

4. wiplok Wonderful.

i would go with hiro's power, teleporting/stoping time/time travel

5. Wobbly Active Member

Ah, but what if you make yourself visible again when someone's in the vicinity, you'll attract A LOT of attention.

And opening doors and windows would creep the shit out of people.

Telepathy would be veeery useful, but telekinesis wouldn't be useful outside of your own home, unless you want half of the city breathing down your neck.

Teleportation powers are dangerous.

Since you don't actually know any changes to the area you're teleporting to until you get there, you could easily teleport into an inanimate object or in front of a moving vehicle. Even if you use Hiro's time stopping powers before teleporting, you might still end up with a body part or two stuck into a wall, table, chair, or door.

That wouldn't be pretty.

6. Dio Brando MADAO

7. Green Lantern The Fireball Kid

Take that as you will.

8. ~Shin~ Spectacular Insanity

9. Jayka Hi~ :)

What about healing powers? It may not go unnoticed though. But doesn't almost every special power do?
    I might as well go with telepathy :) .

10. Arishem Reveler

Mind control would be an excellent power to have in the real world. The type I'm thinking of is along the same lines as Lelouche's geass ability. You give a person a command and they have to follow it, but this version works every single time and doesn't make the person repeat the task whenever the right conditions are met. I wouldn't use it to harm anyone or violate their rights, though.

11. Esponer Brief Intermission

The Sharingan, I suppose. My eyes don't need to reveal the crimson three tomoe pupil all of the time, so with a little caution I could keep the power to myself. Its associated genjutsu would be extremely useful to mind control those I want to influence, and the predictive powers and insight would be extremely useful as well.

Wearing sunglasses I shouldn't need to worry too much about overt appearances either, and the rest of the time I should be able to get by just by being careful.

12. Wobbly Active Member

At face value, that would seem like an awesome power......

The only problem is, how would you ever get stronger? The way our muscles work, they get stronger after first getting heavily fatigued and acquiring numerous micro tears, then healing from that damage.

With unlimited stamina, your strength would remain exactly the same for the rest of your life.

True.

Hopefully not the flashy kind....

13. Syphilis And Disorder GB's Mannequin ♥

Use sand to pick things up and stuff. And then some guy pops up behind you and BANg, tries doing a headshot, but sand swoops in.

Awesome!

14. ~Shin~ Spectacular Insanity

15. Syphilis And Disorder GB's Mannequin ♥

Go into the army, they won't care you are unbeatable. :p

16. Esponer Brief Intermission

They'll have you "disappear" and you'll be transferred to a research facility and treated like an animal for the rest of your life.

17. Cipher So Zetta Slow!

Superhuman speed, because it's annoying that most transportation is still really slow. Nothing over the speed of sound is needed, either. Being able to run at 100 mph would be enough for me. Of course, it would really bug the people around me with the doppler effect coming from my feet...

18. Syphilis And Disorder GB's Mannequin ♥

And how will they do that? Shoot a dart at you? Grab you? YOU GONNA DIE SON.

19. Wobbly Active Member

I'm having fun shooting people's ideas down. XD
    Healing powers would be perfect..... if there was no one around and if your patient was KOed.

The temptation to use it on everyone you need something from would be a little too much.

Who would you be using it on?

True, this could work quite well.

They would turn you into an experiment.

20. Esponer Brief Intermission

Whoever I wanted to influence. There are some key facts about the Sharingan I'd need to know which haven't been revealed to be certain, however. For instance, I presume that the Sharingan's genjutsu relies eye contact, but I don't know whether or not it has the ability to erase the memory of the eye contact so that I'd remain undiscovered. I think it probably does. In that case I'd be able to use it to mentally influence lots of people. And to cheat on exams.

The physical appearance would be a damning problem though.

21. Syphilis And Disorder GB's Mannequin ♥

And how would they do that? Drop a nuke on you? No mortal weapon can pierce your shield to take you down!

22. Esponer Brief Intermission

The thread requires avoiding powers that attract a lot of attention, anyway.

Anyway, the point is you couldn't go into the army. They'd betray you and try to turn you into an experiment. If it just so happened that they failed, then you wouldn't be in the army anymore.

23. Wobbly Active Member

Sorry, but you can only use established powers.

Really, besides just copying complex movements, the Sharingan wouldn't be all that useful in day-to-day life.

What good would casting genjutsu be on people all of the time unless you want to be a career criminal?

And the predictive capabilities would really only be useful if you were a professional sports player or fighter.

@Halibel: I think you're missing the point....

Well, unless you had amazing stamina, drank like 20 glasses of milk a day, had co-workers that wouldn't care about all of the sweat that would accumulate on you during your commute to work, and you didn't mind all of the attention you would get by running around faster than all the cars on the street, then it would be a good power.

24. Esponer Brief Intermission

Genjutsu would be useful in an ordinary life for convincing employers to hire me and give me promotions, convincing my parents not to be annoying, convincing people I dislike to commit suicide, and so on and so forth. Think what Itachi used his Sharingan to do to some random pretty girl, forcing her to seduce Jiraiya without knowledge of what she was doing. Think that, but forcing her to be seduced by me. Or forcing her to give me money. Or whatever I want.

And the predictive power of the Sharingan is useful for much more than some professional occupation. I'd be much safer from potentially fatal accidents, and would have a better chance of protecting others. The insight could also to put to great use in mirroring for social engineering.

25. Wobbly Active Member

But as soon as the genjutsu ends, that employer would be wondering who the hell you were. Keep in mind that just as soon as they can hire you, they can also fire you, without notice and for any reason.

And you would really abuse your powers by telling people to kill themselves just because you didn't like them?

The Byakugan would be more useful while driving, simply because the Sharingan's predictive ability only applies to incoming objects directly in your line of sight.

Blindsides and clipping would still be a threat.

26. Esponer Brief Intermission

There's no justification for the statement that the employer would know that he had been forced to do what he did, and once you are employed just cause is required to fire someone even if you don't like them.

That's an irrelevant question, isn't it?

I never said anything about driving, I don't drive and never intend to. Anyway, the Byakugan is more useful in some respects but it's implausible due to its appearance.

27. Syphilis And Disorder GB's Mannequin ♥

So how about the Golden Byakugam? You have the best visual ever!!!

28. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

Common sense cures most of those problems. Gotta know when you're able to get away with it and when you can't. Windy days are advantageous though, and freaking people out is their problem not mine.

That controllable telepathy one wasn't a bad idea.

29. Fundamental physicist

So, can I take Pre-retconned Beyonders power and authority?
    His power could be destructive but it could also be constructive and its easiley controlled.
    And if so the real world's physic would not apply to my powers, the real worlds physic would adjust after my will.

What would I do with this power?

First I would duplicate the earth and its population infinity fold, then I would from a infiite amout, remove all the males (and disabled, or extremely ugly dumb females) create a lot of castle, temples and obviously haremes.
    - I would multiply me in some way so that I could be with all the females at once.

Man I've probably put too much thought into this, meh.

30. Wobbly Active Member

What type of job are you talking about? And what are the laws like in England?

I live in the US, where things sound great on paper, but don't live up to the ideal.

Nope, it isn't.

If you got everyone you didn't like to kill themselves, eventually, you would attract a lot of attention to yourself..... by the police. It would be awfully suspicious that people you didn't like started showing up dead.

Ah, I misunderstood.

And I was talking about pure abilities, and not taking the appearance of that doujutsu into account.

Well, if you just don't care.... then I guess it wouldn't be a problem.

You would just have to be careful of the people that would freak out enough to try to attack, what they think to be, thin air with large blunt objects.

Whoops. ><

I was talking about single, non-cosmic powers, or else it would defeat the whole purpose of "day-to-day life". I'll let you have that one, since it wasn't specified before you made your post, but now I have to edit the OP....