1. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We invite you to join two banner contests in  New Leaf and Naruto Battledome.

Dismiss Notice

Which shounen write females the worse?

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by animegod12345, Oct 20, 2018.

1. animegod12345 My waifu is better than yours

Yeah I literally had no idea were to put this thread so l put it here.

Tags:
  2. Djomla Student

Hunter x Hunter. xD

3. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Keishin Well-Known Member

Black Clover and Fairy Tail cant be fault for having shitty female casts atleast

5. Roƅ Suck my dick, Suit

Germany
  6. Shiba D. Inu #admiralgang

MHA is the worst, because it somewhat gets your hopes up that female characters actually matter only to betray your expectations.

8. Alita54 Alita>You

9. charles101 Well-Known Member

Isn't it shounen thing in general? You know, these are mangas for boys, amright? I guess they'd choose boobs over quality when it comes to female characters like 95% of the time.

10. CrownedEagle Knight of Erza

Fairy Tail has a lot flaws (really a lot) but accused him of being the worst manga in terms of female characters is just pure bullshit, most of the women in Fairy Tail are developed, often carry an important position or a important place in the plot, the The most horrible shonen i have ever seen in terms of female characters is probably Katekyoshi Hitman Reborn (written by a woman and more) followed closely by Naruto.

11. Batzzaro29 Well-Known Member

probably Naruto, almost everyone was just a pairing tool

13. Kellogem Well-Known Member

probably Naruto.. its not even just the fact females had hardly any relevance in it, more like how every time Kishimoto tried to give some sort of development to one, it ended horribly.. thinking about Sakuras fake confession, or Karin as a person in general and her "development" with Sasuke. how Sasuke trying to kill her and was like "lol, sorry Karin" was played for laugh and she went back lusting over Sasuke right after.. it was embarrassingly bad. it just gave me the feeling Kishimoto has no idea how to write a female character and romance in general, so everyone is better off him just him having them kick some ass and call it a day. but not even that happened.

BnH just to name a recent one is pretty bad as well in that regard, just thinking about how the Overhaul arc, when everyone and their mother could've had the time to shine played out for all the girls, tied up in one neat package and kicked in the dark corner of the room makes me want to shake Hori. and how Baku vs Ochako was the closest thing in the whole manga we had to a climatic battle with a female. or how Ochakos horrible Deku crush seems to be the only thing going for her. again, just like with Kishimoto I have the feeling Hori has no idea how to develop her.

14. Alita54 Alita>You

The only real redeeming quality for most FT women are their physical attributes. Their personalities vary from mediocre to beyond terrible. Erza in particular being one of the most insufferable characters in the series and she is the main female lead which says a lot.

15. Alita54 Alita>You

Was gonna say this too. The standard for good females in general is very low as it is in this genre. If you care about great females you shouldn't be reading anything in this genre.

16. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

In the serious action scenes she became insufferably predictable and sanctimonious. But in the comedy scenes Erza was still a really funny character. And her scenes where she was a mentor were cute. Plus, among the characters with the most consistent and interesting story arcs by the standards of Fairy Tail, quite a lot of FT's were women. Whereas in series like Naruto or Dragonball, only one interesting character in 10-20 is female.

If you compare how much Lucy and Erza get to do and how well their personalities are written to Natsu and Gray's there's not much difference. But you compare Death Note's Misa and Takada to Light and L, the writing is astronomically worse.

I guess it depends if you're looking for an author who writes men well but really sucks at writing women. Or a writer than just sucks in general and has women in their series. (BTW there is much further down the barrel to sink into than Mashima, or Kishi).

17. Alita54 Alita>You

I do admit that females in general in FT do get more screentime than your average shounen. But at the same time I find them more unbearable than your average shounen.

18. [S-A-F] Femto my boy!

I'm always baffled at how bad shonen battle manga/anime are at writing their female casts since there shouldn't be some certain way of thinking needed to write women characters. It kinda boils down to a lot of these mangaka being sexist and not knowing it while trying to make a series aimed at young boys. So you end up with series where the women are usually always getting the shaft while the men get all the fights and glory.

YYH, FMA and Gintama are the only shonen titles that come to mind that have good female casts that I've seen that aren't treated like shit compared to the men. Especially Gintama's incredible roster of women. YYH has Genkai, Botan and Kuwabara's sister who are all probably way above majority of female cast in other battle manga/anime series. Shit even Keiko as the typical childhood friend and love interest with the main character had way more of a backbone and her own identity than most female characters with that role in other titles.

After recently catching up with MHA and kinda getting spoiled in here how the girls are gonna be used in a future arc I don't think this situation will be addressed anytime soon and I've kinda just accepted it and moved on. Since its not a big part of my life and its how fictional women are treated in some comics aimed at kids and pre teens(specifically boys) I can't be bothered to get frustrated about this. If we still don't have a dominate female cast of characters in a shonen battle manga/anime even in 2018 then we probably won't see this shit changed even in 2028.

But hey at least they're usually nice to look at. :zaru

19. [S-A-F] Femto my boy!

The women aren't really treated like shit in HxH but it doesn't have a particularly strong cast of them outside of Komugi, Biscuit and the women in the Phantom Troupe. The rest are pretty forgettable or don't get as much screen time as the guys(Like Canary was awesome but we barely see her). And I wanted to mention Pitou but that would open a whole other can of worms. lol

20. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

It's not just about screentime or the number of significant women. Mashima, however you feel about fanservice, writes female characters that are easy to respect because they take charge of their lives. And who have more going on than a relationship with a key male character.

Juvia's obsession with Gray is treated as a running joke in FT. But her deluded fantasies genuinely have more basis than Sakura's love for Sasuke. Even if Gray is put off by Juvia, he did show at least loyalty and kindness. And we know that if a guy pissed off Juvia enough, she'd act on it. If Mashima wrote a female character with as little self-respect as Sakura or Karin, that would have been the start of her character development.

His female protagonists are there for gratuitous fanservice. Sometimes to the extent that it distracts from the scene. But at least there are unusual characters than you get from generic harem series. You might find them annoying. But Mashima's heroines are at least not cookie cutter clones like Akihisa Ikeda's or Sakurako Gokurakuin's.

Plus Mashima always found time to make sure that female characters had friendships, rivalries and enmities that could exist independently of male characters. Something shounen authors just don't bother with half the time. Even characters who seem really cool rarely have more than one or two token scenes with other women in a lot of action anime in long-runners.

If my standards for the female writing were based mainly around having lots of female characters who do stuff then I wouldn't say this next part.

Hands down, (leaving aside actual full-on hentai,) the worst writer for female characters in a manga is Dall-Young Kim.
    Freezing's author.

21. Spider-Man hear ye hear ye

France
  22. Alita54 Alita>You

I have to respectfully disagree with your first 4 paragraphs but to each his own opinion.

23. Kellogem Well-Known Member

I dont think mangaka arent writing females cause they are sexists, or at least most... even female shounen mangakas dont put lot of females into their manga, D Gray-man has like 2 female protagonists that matters, one is very much a side character, FMA havent had a lot of females compared to the males and most was pretty unimportant and/or not very deep, Magi, again, few important females, most of them did little. Blue Exorcist, havent been following in a while but was not much better in that regard by the time I kind of dropped it..etc.

I think the general idea is just shounen is written for boys, so they want to identify with the cast, so you got to make them mostly boys, at least thats what even the female mangakas do most of the time. Im not saying thats necessarily true, but I thinks thats the original reason. if something you can accuse the core audience as sexism, but I think that would be pretty stupid to blame teenage boys for identifying with males, whatever thats the case or not.

24. Amol Chief of Wisdom

Mangakas are in generally sexist guys who don't know how to handle opposite gender.
    I decide worse written female characters based on how they compare with men of same series.
    I mean there obviously would be some trash manga where everybody is written like a trash so this particular question wouldn't exactly apply there.
    2)Naruto : I am sure there are series out there who treated it's females worst but nobody enjoyed popularity like Naruto so there is that. Kishimoto was in generally shitty writer but he did manage to give some memorable moments to his male cast. It is just shame that all his female characters were pairing fodders and fucking medical ninjas. I can't think any female character written worse than Sakura. That girl had no sense of self worth, self respect and ounce of dignity. Her so called husband fucked her once to knock her up and left her to raise their daughter alone for decade by herself while he was regularly meeting Naruto. This is ignoring how many times he tried to kill her. So God knows what was going through Kishimoto's head when he thought 'this' shows 'love'.
    2)HxH : Does it even have females?
    Togashi half times baits with traps so I am not sure.
    But for a gender that represents half of the population there is distinct lack of female characters in HxH.
    3)One Piece : I don't mind fan service. I don't think having fan service makes female characters bad. Oda's problem is that he just can't seem to give females proper limelight. The way he gives them powers is also downright sexist.
    Just look at how he treated WB and Kaido and then look at how he treated Big Mom. Difference is quite clear.

25. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

One Piece, by far. BY REALLY FUCKING FAR. REAL . FUCKING . FAR.