1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Who Do You Like/Prefer More: Naruto or Yondaime?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Sho, Nov 25, 2005.

Who do you like more, and who do you prefer more in terms of main character?

1. I both like and prefer Yondaime more as a main character

10 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. I both like and prefer Naruto more as a main character

45 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. I like Yondaime more, but I prefer Naruto as a main character

39 vote(s)
    35.8%
  4. I like Naruto more, but I would prefer if it was Yondaime as a main character

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Don't really care about either/Doesn't matter

15 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Sho

For some reason, I've gotten the idea that many people would prefer Naruto to be a carbon copy of what we know and seen of Yondaime. Now we know that Naruto is trying to surpass him and most likely will by the time the series is done, but it seems that people want him to be exactly like him in terms of personality, looks, jutsus, etc. To me, that's similar to how the majority of the people on this forum prefer Itachi over Sasuke, as they state reasons like Itachi is "cooler" or more of a badass, and is basically a more perfect version of him. I'm thinking it's somewhat the same with the Naruto and Yondaime case.

Here's the question:

Who would you prefer in terms of a main character, and who do you like more in general?

List your reasons why as well.

Tags:
  2. Rice Ball

Yondaime seems like a real dork (sorry couldn't think of another word to use...just one of them goody goody teachers pets type)
    The Fillers killed all respect i had for naruto, Manga naruto is okay, i mainly don't like naruotards tho.

(ps Neji 4tw, show more neji tbh)

Main character?
    Sakara :)

I mean why not, shes sorta like the girl who only became a ninja because she fancyed a boy, but grew into a good one.
    Series should follow her more closely. (I would have been ace if she was also chasing sasuke but i guess thats too meny plot holes.)

3. Master Scorpion

Yondaime is much cooler and smarter than Naruto I think..,yeah I prefer Yondie over dum Naruto

4. funjat

Naruto forever. :wrtf. All should bow down before his greatness.
    Yondaime is too all-knowing.

But I agree wholeheartedly with this statement:
    The filler eps are criminal.

5. Gunners

Hard to say i need to see naruto at age 25 at the moment he is 25, but seeing as he my fav character naruto.

6. vagnard

Naruto. I haven't seen enough of Yondaime to include him in my list of favourites.

7. TenshiOni

We haven't seen that much of Yondaime. :amuse

8. Hiruma

Unless Yondaime had an addiction to ramen I'm going with Naruto.

9. Alia_Atreides

Well, I guess the reason why Yondaime is so popular is because he is not the main character... A series about Yondaime would be a lot like Naruto. We know he had a lot of Naruto┬┤s personality, so a series about him wouldnt be that much different. Unless the series was about grown up Yondaime, but than, it would be only about that great ninja that could kill 100 guys in one second... Great, but lets look Naruto; we have all those things and more. We see the great Yondaime - yes, we wish we had more of him - we know about him and other great ninja, and now we see a little ninja who is related to lots of fantastic shinobi, and in his way to became a great shinobi, and, if thats not enough, he even has an enourmous and powerful demon inside him! Thats special... And, you know, I really think the reason we dont have more Yondaime is because Kishimoto is making lots of mistery about the conection between Yondaime and Naruto. When that cames out, bet we will see lots of Yondaime.
    Thats what I think...
    :)

10. Mori`

I think people like Yondaime and Itachi because we haven;t see much of them, there's still mystery surrounding them. Especially Yondaime.

I like the way Yondaime is portrayed (i think he's infinately badass) but we've not seen enough of him so I have to say that I prefer Naruto.

11. norul3z

i prefer naruto as main car n yondaime as my fav char ... coz? this story name is naruto !! =P

shino is more mysterious ..

12. MuNaZ

I like both but still Yondaime is little better for me:tem
    I like Naruto as a Main Character.
    Yondaime is mysterious that's why i like him better

13. Raptor

Naruto. in the manga at least. dunno but I have the feeling that yondaime was similar to him when he was a brat too... tsunade once said something about the new student of Jiraiya being dumber, louder and uglier than the old one. so that means the old one was dumb, loud and ugly in her eyes too??? :amuse

Now about the anime... as long as those fillers are there i'll stick with one piece. thank you. :(

14. Woofie

I like Yondaime (despite the fanboy's best efforts to put me off him)... he's hard to dislike, he's neither overly loud/obnoxious or bad natured. Compared to Naruto, well, he's infinitely more likeable: he has all of Naruto's positive traits but doesn't have any of the negative ones.

But would he be a good main character? No, not really. The fact that he's neither loud or angsty means that he simply doesn't have enough of a clearly-defined character to keep one's interest for 10 years or however long the series will go on for. He'd start to seem bland rather quickly. Another reason is that he's just too perfect, but a main character needs room to develop. If the main character can't develop, things will get pretty repetitive (Naruto suffers this problem too - he's had relatively little character development, and consequently his part in the story is seeming ever-increasingly repetitive). Incidentally, the same applies to Itachi.... I love Itachi as a character, but in no way is he suited to being a main character. There's no room for development for much the same reasons as Yondaime, and while he has a few more obvious characteristics than Yondaime, they're still nothing compared to Naruto or Sasuke's.

So yeah... Yondy is likeable, but too bland, generic and perfect to be a main character.

However, as well as being boring and repetitive these days, Naruto is positively annoying - I don't like his character in the slightest, and I've given up all hope of it ever changing. So personally, I'd prefer Yondaime as a main character... but I can see how Naruto would work better for the majority of people (with no taste :p).

So I like Yondaime more than Naruto, but I don't think either make very good main characters. Naruto is too irritating, but Yondaime would be boring. I suppose in an ideal world, Naruto would become somewhat more like Yondaime, but retain a little of his old 'charm' and not quite attain the same level of perfection. :)

15. Gyroscope

I can't go around saying "YONDAIME IS ALIVE AND WELL AND IS THE FRIGGIN LEADER OF AKATSUKI" without getting flamed by rampaging fanboys over here, so i definately dont like him right now.

As for Naruto, I actually did like the guy, and i liked his character even more after the fight at the VotE.
    I like the friendship Sasuke and Naruto shared.That despite them annoying each other all the time, they really meant a lot to one another. I liked the fact that Sasuke meaning so much to Naruto drove him to his maximum, just so he could bring back his best friend.

He started falling down the chart when i read posts that said that their fight ended in a draw, or that they were equal in the fight (well almost but not quite), and some even saying that Naruto friggin won the fight at the VotE.
    Thats when he started slipping, and now hes not even anywhere close to my top 5.

Unfortunate :sad

16. Dark_wolf247

Naruto, mainly because Yondaime's character hasn't been too well elaborated on.

17. FitzChivalry

18. M00se

Beeing a complete 4th fan id much much much much MOOOORE would of loved a storie about how he came to power and how he sacrificed himself for his people and then Naruto could be a saquel to yondaimes story ^^

19. Keyser S?ze

i like both, but i would rather have naruto as the main charater. i think it wouldn't be as interesting with yondaime as the main character.

20. KuwabaraTheMan

Naruto, Yondaime is just kind of bland, in my opinion. Naruto's a lot more interesting.

21. Chamcham Trigger

I go for Naruto I guess. I haven't seen much of Yondaime besides the Kakashi Gaiden. He seemed really cool in it, but didn't have as many dimensions as Naruto due to his small exposure (he probably has more to him, but who knows yet). I like Naruto more, not because he's cooler (which he doesn't seem to be), but because he just has a lot of character to him and a lot of room to grow (an interesting person indeed) as a person. I like main characters with character flaws.

22. Kyuubi Naruto

As a main character then I definately prefer Naruto over Yondaime. Even if Yondaime was like Naruto, Naruto's much more interesting. As who I like more then im going to say Naruto's my fav and Yondaime comes second.

23. Bukkage

Im extremely dissapointed with how the fillers are prtraying naruto and how kishimoto is so far after the time skip so Im too depressed to further comment. I dont know much about yondaime so no comment on him.

24. G. Hawke

I can relate to him, because he is probably the normal of the lot.
    Yes he is loud, yes he is annoying and yes he is as dumb as a brick.
    But he also never gives up, loyal adn u know he wil always have your back.
    He is someone i would be honoured to call friend.
    Yondy?
    He is cool and all that but lets be honest here.
    We know nothing of the bugger. Nothing at all.
    What is there to like? :huh

25. BattousaiMS

I prefere Naruto as the main character, while I also like Yondaime, since he is kinda like me, a silent killer. Anyway, it was said that Yondaime was like Naruto in his younger days so i guess Naruto will become like him when he reaches the same age.

26. CooLMooCoW

Imo, Naruto is more likeable since he simply has more on Yondaime in terms of background, personality and page count.

27. Chiru

I both like and prefer Naruto more as a main character.

Cool thread Sho. Nice idea.

28. icoselitham

Yodaime Hokage is cool, but I'd have to pick Naruto on this one.

29. Sariachan

Where is the "I don't really like Yondaime while I like Naruto a lot, and I would never change him as main character" option? :p

30. o-chan

I like Yondaime more, but I prefer Naruto as a main character!

If it weren't for the 4th, then Naruto won't have the kyuubi, and that means no more Konoha (Kyuubi would've destroyed it)! Anyway! I like him because he's important.