1. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We invite you to join two banner contests in  New Leaf and Naruto Battledome.

Dismiss Notice

Who should Tsunade have secretly sent alongside Jiraiya?

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki' started by mikeyman75, Oct 20, 2018.

1. mikeyman75 Member

If Tsunade wanted to send someone along with Jiraiya just to be safe and they had to go undetected by both Jiraiya and the Rain village, who would’ve been the best choice?

Probably not a bunch of Anbu or any unit/team because they’d stand out so I’m thinking maybe one or two people

Tags:
  2. Sanbur New Member

I'd say Might Guy. Anybody else is too weak, or if they live Nagato will go instantly kill Konoha. Even if Might Guy beats Pain with Jiraiya then Nagato can just make new ones though. Jiraiya's the only one that could find out Nagato's secret and know to look for a real body. If Pain lost too fast Nagato would assassinate Jiraiya later before he realizes, if he even continues thinking about it.

3. 1337RedGlitchFox Well-Known Member

Jiraiya, to her knowledge, was stealthing things up.
    We need someone who's not only sneaky, but also capable of getting out if things turn south.

A Hyuga comes to mind due to maximum awareness (Yeah, yeah. I know, blind spot, blah blah.) , but I don't know if one would be able to help him run.

The Aburame clan would have come to mind due to their stellar info gathering and how they seem to already be quiet. Only issue is that since i'm working under the idea that Tsunade has no info of what would be happening and that Jiraiyas simply being a sneak, this would probably turn out useless in the end, since Jiraiya couldnt even slip by the barriers of ame unnoticed.

A single insect may or may not be capable of slipping by to gather info and i'm pretty sure the aburame him or herself would be lacking abilities to sneak by the barrier too, most likely getting himself killed if he tried.

It's really telling how good Jiraiya is to be able to slip by in the 1st place, but overall, not many ninjas are... well... perfectly equipped.

The likeliness of jiraiya not noticing is slim since he's also a ninja who's going to be going to a hostile place so he should in theory be fully aware of everything around him. He's not an amateur.

So the best hope is for long range tailing imo.

Regardless in the end, it'd be pretty pointless overall due to 1: the rain that pain uses to sense things. 2: friggin ninjas that are much more experienced imo and 3: Everyone with a name's not a real stealthy super class ninja like how I think Jiraiya probably is and everyone else is fodder.

4. Ultra Instinct Senjutsu Mo-Kage, Mo-Problems

United States
    Likely nobody, as stated above, it is quite impressive and telling how sneaky/aware Jiraiya was.
    But if we had to make some guesses...

Sai - I feel like it could be done and he may have some ANBU experience slipping past barriers.
    Shino - Bugs would likely slip by, especially if the rain only accounted for a full shinobi's chakra, and not a tiny bug.
    Lady Katsuyu Clone - Would keep her informed of what's happening and wouldn't be in the way, and maybe only account for a summon, same as she was for Naruto when he fought pain.
    Byakugan User - using their distant vision, in theory, they could have remained outside the rain and potentially perceive the fight.
    ANBU - likely has a handful of shinobi who are built to be sneaky, maybe 1-2 at least could have done it?
    Yamanaka Clan Member - Have someone mentally possessed that Pain is already accounting for, and just use them as a civilian spy
    Yamato's Wood Clones - Granted, they'd likely be caught at some point, but the information they could gather would be critical, and have some combat usage, aaaand could revert to a seed to hide once they did their job.

5. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

6. SakuraLover16 Hard being loved when people just see your faults

I know that the is not possible but if she would have followed him herself they probably would have won spying be damned.

7. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

Stealth is more important that battle strength, since it was originally meant to just be a recon mission. Ideally Jiraiya wouldn't have fought Pein at all. Fighting someone who kept Akatsuki to heel in a village that they rule over, that's a suicide mission for Jiraiya and almost any other three available shinobi at the time as backup. They would need someone with unconventional stealth tactics and a good brain to keep up. But they would also need to have a nice way to escape capture if their cover was blown.
    Sai or Yamato would be good choices. Although Sai still had one foot in Danzo's camp at the time. A Katsuyu Clone would have been a brilliant idea.

8. Takaya Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, you want to send Might Gai on a stealth mission? Where the parameters involve subtlety, remaining undetected, being quiet and sneaky?

He has the power to be useful in a fight, but he's not exactly Konoha's stealthiest ninja, and the point of the mission is secret infiltration.

9. Xel

Or bring Fuu's puppet along for the remotely-activated Mind Transfer in case you need an emergency ally/hostage within the enemy territory :distracted

10. SakuraLover16 Hard being loved when people just see your faults

@Aduro You are right the Katsuyu clone would have been perfect as soon as the clone relayed that Jiraiya had been spotted Tsunade would have sent all of her available chakra to Katsuyu with the one order being make sure he makes it out alive.

11. Xel

Makes you wonder why they didn't actually do it :catdefeat

12. Ultra Instinct Senjutsu Mo-Kage, Mo-Problems

United States
    You never heard the Power of Youth makes one all the stealthy they need to be?

He also would have at least gotten a slight healing buff from it if need be I would imagine, butttt, more likely, I could see Katsuyu relaying whats happening, and right before Jiraiya dies, relaying that he loves her or was happy for her, etc.

#MakesTooMuchSense

Same as Jiraiya not climbing into the mouth of one of his summons and either having them run away, or turn into a small frog like when he sent the prisoner and tactically retreat.
    He would have made it back with his FULL knowledge, his life, the ability to go WITH Naruto to train at Mt Myoboku, and been there to assist vs Pain, and likely beating their asses before Hinata gets in the way, aaaaaand leading to a huge moment between Nagato and Jiraiaya, with Naruto learning from it once they trace the chakra back to Konans tree.

13. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

Pein: "Did my old master just spend his last moment telling a slug that it has nice tits?"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  14. Ultra Instinct Senjutsu Mo-Kage, Mo-Problems

United States
    No words......

15. Muah HADE BARA BOGE PYA

Somebody with plot armor like Kakashi or Itachi.

Though in all seriousness she should have sent Gai to shadow him and save him at the last minute. He's literally the only person in the village at that time strong enough to sav him witout sacrificing his life.

16. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

Infiltration be damned. If Gai were there, Pein would've been defeated and a lot of major events would've changed for the better.

17. SakuraLover16 Hard being loved when people just see your faults

I mean it's also likely that Tsunade would order Katsuyu to grow in size or summon more of herself so I imagine the healing buff would be massive and if push comes to shove she would just absorb him into her body and unsummon herself.

18. Ultra Instinct Senjutsu Mo-Kage, Mo-Problems

United States
    I'll have to argue this one.
    I don't see Gai taking any more than 1-2 Paths, TOPS, especially if he is facing the summons (which the dogs replicated the more they were hit) that would be his Achilles Heel, although if he goes 7th Gate, he may do some damage and eliminate 1 or 2, but the main one would Almighty Push his ass into orbit.

However as far as being pure reinforcements goes, and NOT being sneaky to the point he would never have been noticed, he wouldn't be the worst choice, but far from the best.

Oooooh, I didn't think about her absorbing him, then reverse summoning him out of there.
    If she could grow in size from a clone he took with him, then that would deff be a solid defense/assist.

I feel like Katsuyu helping Jiraiya's summonings would have been a huge help, if, she was able to grow/replicate from a minor clone of herself.

She's still my favorite summon.

19. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

I mean with Jiraiya's help. On his own Jiraiya took out half the bodies. With someone like Gai the rest would be taken care of.

I still believe thats the reason Team Gai was conveniently out of the village during Pein's attack.

20. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

I Gai being put out of the way is more to do with Pein's Invasion that Jiraiya's espionage. Its easy to explain nobody coming along on a covert mission. Almost anyone could be a liability compared to ashinobi with Jiraiya's history. Aside from Kishi not having though through the applications of Katsuyu yet and not sending a Yamato wood clone.
    But Gai would have to get involved if he was actually in Konoha during the invasion. And its pretty likely that he would have gone 8 gates before Kishi was ready to step up the power levels that high and defeated Pein himself. Which could have really derailed Naruto's arc.

21. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

Exactly. Which is why I say Gai would've been best to tag along with Jiraiya. With Jman's help, he wouldn't even need 8th Gate and could just defeat the other half.

22. yikes crying

Flag:
    Japan
    Gai sensei could've solo'd the 6 Paths.

23. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

You and I know this. But don't say it too loud. :nahwegood

24. SakuraLover16 Hard being loved when people just see your faults

25. yikes crying

Flag:
    Japan
    Anyone who has yet to acknowledge that Gai could've easily become the most powerful character in the series if it wasn't for Kishimoto's Uchiha fanobyism, will be sent to the guillotine. They can't change my mind.

26. SakuraLover16 Hard being loved when people just see your faults

27. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

I admire your courage, my friend. :catsalute

28. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

If Gai had fought Nagato's six paths. He wouldn't have killed the real one. He would have broken his six paths and died. Hell, the minute Gai went 8 Gates, Nagato's priority would just be to hide all his jutsu and wait out Gai's death, before killing Jiraiya once Gai croaked. Even if Gai only went to 7th Gate, Nagato could just wait for the side-effects to put him out of the battle. Jiraiya might not have even found out that they were being remote controlled if Gai had just broken a couple of paths.

29. Ultra Instinct Senjutsu Mo-Kage, Mo-Problems

United States
    Exactly, and if not, Konan gets involved, and we saw what she did to Obito...
    Konan is a HARD counter to Gai, as he couldnt touch her flight, or prevent her from surrounding him in a sea of paper bombs.

+

Gai would have had to be at least 7th Gate to hang with the Paths, that's tough to argue any other way. (this is important)

Once the Rinnegan summons come into play, that would be Gai's hard-hard-counter, as his taijutsu would only help the dog summon by creating more, same as what happened to Jiraiya's summons being overrun by them.
    Gai has ZERO chance of detecting and countering the Chameleon summon that hid a path inside of it, that would require Jiraiya to hang around and protect Gai from a sneak attack that would likely put him out of commission quick, and put Jiraiya at risk.
    Once any flying summons come into play, it's gonna be a hard time for Gai OR Jiraiya to fight, because it seems like the obvious choice is to keep a Path airborne during the fight, especially if they get lucky and take a path or two down together.

Konan (who was there) is also a massive counter to Gai, as she is not only airborne, but can swamp him in paper, or just focus on injuring Jiraiyas summons, and making them waste chakra.

He also would have a severely hard time with the Yahiko path, as his push/pull can't be countered by speed per-se, and if it did, Gai will need to pop that 8th Gate to out pace their LINKED eyes, which again, linked vision HARD counters Gai, as his whole shtick vs Madara was that it was 1v1 and Madara couldn't keep up with him.

In order for Gai to be legitimate help, he would have to stay out of the way until Jiraiya starts to lose ground after taking the first 3 down OR, when he did succeed in taking a few down, then go balls to the wall 7th Gate, and HOPE he could keep the Yahiko busy until he had to recharge, rush him, and hope he can take down the path to resurrect the others again.

Although, again, if the paths/Nagato/Konan realize he is there too early in the fight, or that the Paths have a chance of losing, Konan and all her angelic glory is going to get involved, and that somewhat tips the scales too far in Pains favor a little farther than a debatable gap.

The biggest advantage Jiraiya had was being alone, and constantly on the move, separating the Paths so their linked vision didn't trap him, and allowing him to catch a few by surprise.

Any way I try to view it, 7v2 is just too much to ask for shinobi at that level.

30. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

I don't see why you're looking at it as if they'd only fight Pein by themselves and not together which is my point.

If they fought together, Pein would be destroyed. Jiraiya wouldn't have died and Gai wouldn't need to go 8 Gates, because having the other as a teammate would make up for the strength they lack individually.

Sure, Nagato would still be alive, but that's besides my point of Jiraiya living through his mission.