1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Why All the Char Love?

Discussion in 'Gundam' started by NejiHinata, Nov 19, 2005.

1. NejiHinata

Why? Is he really all that great a character? Does he really deserve all the praise people give him? Let's look at some things. UC up to F91 spoilers will be pre-dominant in this thread so watch out.

MSG: Out for revenge at any cost. His whole schtick is to avenge his poppa. Does he not realize that by the means he uses to avenge his father he has already basically killed his father's ideals himself? What he does to Garma is inexcusable and just plain *****ish. He wants to further his father's view of Zeon and yet perverts his father's ideals every step of the way.

Zeta: The AEUG needs him to step up and be leader. Yet he consistently scoots out of this role. He even fakes his own death so that he can avoid being the AEUGs leader. Some might say that this was to make the Earth Federation weaken itself so that he could come in later and dominate an opponent that lacks strong leadership. I still can' believe all the people who bought into his "I'm a good guy now" routine. Kamille included. He seemed smarter than that.

CCA: Comes to drop Axis on Earth. Still is wanting to promote his fathers Zeon. Yeah, because his father really would want an asteroid dropped on Earth. By now has gone completely insane in his quest to heal the Earth.

And the biggest irony of them all is that Char is the biggest speaker on moving into space and evolving into Newtypes yet he is, without a doubt, in the lower tier of newtype power ranges. We're talking he's a step up from Newtypes who don't realize they are Newtypes. Scirrocco said it best: "You failed to become a true Newtype, Char. A mongrel like you deserves to be culled!" It's simple. Judau, Kamille, Haman, Amuro...those are evolved Newtypes. They are what Newtypes could become. Char is a weak powered egotistical maniac basing his whole life on a perveted version of his father's ideal system and using so many aliases that, in the end, I don't even think Char knew who he actually was.

Seriously, how does this type of character gain any popularity at all?

Tags:
  2. Mindless

It's all about the glasses. All about the glasses my friend. :p

No, but really.

You have alot of good points. Overall, I believe Char is a very unlikeable character. I haven't watched MSG yet, but I've seen Zeta and the other UC gundams which he is in, so I basically know what he is like, and his background from MSG.

Char in Zeta is quite torn I think. It seems he can't decide on which role to play, Char or Quattro. He manipulated Kamille in a manner you could compare to what Dullindal did with Shinn in SEED. Kamille gave you the impression that he was a very ungullible at first, but it later became apparent that he was quite the oposite. He acted like an ass at times, and then, he suddenly acted as some kind of 'father' for Kamille.

As a pilot, I honestly think he sucks (in Zeta at least). All he seems to manage is getting the Hyaku Shiki busted up (unlike ZZ people), and in the end, he busted it up completely. I don't think he is very impressive as a pilot, but the suit he uses sure is cool though, and I guess that is where most of the love for him comes.

As a newtype, it is just as you say. He's not very powerful, in fact, not powerful at all. Unlike Kamille, Judau, Scirrocco, Amuro and other powerful UC newtypes, he is very far down the rankings. As far as I know, he can not use his power to manipulate anything, like how Judau used his powers to transform the ZZ in the final episode, or Amuro to stop Axis, or Scirrocco to blast Kamille's mind into pieces.

Well, I guess we can draw the conclusion that he is a very flawed character, but, he was the guy who fought against Amuro in MSG, and he was the guy who seemed to take on the world in the other UC series, and I guess some people find that an admirable trait. I don't though.

3. ssouske

must be all of that red color that he has... red is a color that one would usually asociate with love...:p but seriously though... people tend to like things that are colored in red... my professor in psychology said that... look at ferrari, ducati, santa claus XD, and all other things red... so therefore i conclude that all that char love is because of his color RED... people love red thus they love char...:laugh

sounds kinda retarded but when you think about it, its almost always true...

4. NejiHinata

Aside from the Sazabi, all other Zeon suits were PINK! PINK! Even the Char RX-78 model they sale is PINK!

5. ssouske

same with athrun... their ms are supposed to be red and not pink... its bandai's damn fault... anyway... the anime version of the ms are all red... look at it... even the amuro's MG RX-78 have pink feet instead of red... BANDAI LIKES PINK OVER RED... DAMN THEM...:mad

6. Donkey Show

People love lolicon pimps deep down. Char just happens to fall in that category. XD

7. Raistlin-sama

Char is a very deep character, not to mention extremely cool.

This is true to a certain extent, however this doesn't diminish Char's character, quite the opposite. It makes for a tragic character, who is mistakenly taking the "wrong" path. Also I thought his way of taking revenge was pretty cool, I especially loved when he blew of Kycilia Zabi's head with the bazooka.
    In defense of Kamillie and others, he actually was a good guy throughout Zeta. Sure he may not have been a goodie-two-shoes, however he did nothing throughout the series to betray their trust. In Zeta he has the same common goal as the good guys, although he was still upholding the same ideal he had all along; That people should move into space and let the exhausted Earth rest. I don't see how his character was in any way unlikeable in Zeta.
    You can say what you want. Char believed he was doing the right thing, helping mankind to evolve and letting the Earth rest. He thought that this would force people into space, eventually making everyone newtypes. He also thought that the Earth was the cause of almost all war, and therefore wanted to end this cause, in one final attack. Sure it is not good for a large portion of the people on Earth, and it is "evil" in our eyes. However to Char it was a sacrifice for the greater good.

I think the reason, you don't get the Char love, is that you think he must be a nice likeable character to get this attention. Evil characters are often loved, so I don't see why Char doing "evil" things is a hindrance to this. He is a character who followed his own ideals all along, doing what he believes to be the right thing.

His attitude always was always pretty cool to me, although that is a subjective thing. Not everything he did was right, but it was understandable and it was done while following his own set of rules. A lot of people, including me, like characters like this.

As for his pilot skills, he is pretty damn good. The only people we've ever seen him lose to is Haman and Amuro (who he gave a good fight). However it is true that his newtype powers are less than Kamillie, Amuro, Judau, Haman and Shirocco's. However, I never knew that raw power, is what defines a character. Char has a lot of skill and intelligence to make up for it, although in the end his pilot skills isn't what makes his character.

Well, it could be that too.:p

8. Jikes

he has a sexy voice! thats the only reason I like him.

seriously Shuuichi Ikeda should voice more characters in anime I watch