1. cookingcontest
    Show us your cooking skills in the 12th Cooking Contest, Meats/Fish!
    Deadline to enter is August 20th at 4 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alley Writingcontest
    Vote for the entries of the Alley's Writing ContestHere!
    The deadline for critiques Ends at August 4th.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. img
    Come enter in the Dragon Ball Drawing Contest!
    Deadline for entries is August 17 at 12 pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Why are Gion and Tokikake being dismissed as Admirals by fans?

Discussion in 'Ohara Library' started by T.D.A, Jul 24, 2020.

1. T.D.A

These 2 VAs were considered candidates to become the new Admirals before HQ ultimately went with Fujitora and Ryokugyu. So we know they are ~ Admiral level.

Yet when fans talking about EoS Admirals they bypass these two and bring up weaker Marines like Drake, Koby, Smoker etc.

What’s more Gion and Tokikakke seem to be students of the school of Garp hence would fit well into the new age Marines at the end of the series.

While it’s true these 2 characters have hardly gotten focus and therefore a lack of hype, we shouldn’t forget the existence of these 2 Admiral level characters.

Tags:
  2. Sherlōck

They aren't being dismissed. We just don't know anything about them aside from being very strong.

IMO, if Akainu is 100, Fujitora is 90 then Gion/Tokikake is somewhere from 75-80.

3. T.D.A

if you read the other thread about EoS Admirals no one is considering them even though logically you would assume they are next in line.

4. Sherlōck

IMO Marco is 70.

People including me think Smoker, Koby & Drake will grown in power to become Admiral. While no one thinks Gion/Chaton are so that's the difference. You can't have barely above YFM as an Admiral.

5. January

Pink Rabbit is a fan creation.

Oda is just playing along.

6. Shiba D. Inu

tell me more :cat

7. Bernkastel

For the same reasonn we don't consider Marco yonkou level just cause he was a candidate to match/stop one..
    Getting the admiral title is no joke and there's a reason they didn't get it which means they're not there quite yet

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Flame

It stopped being a game once he introduced both of them in the manga. It went from fan creation to canon.

BB wasn't a yonko back then.

9. Lawliet

This.

They will be strong. Not admiral strong though.

10. Vivo Diez

I think the point being is that something that's a fan creation isn't very likely to have a huge impact on the story, so less likely to become an admiral.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. January

Not essential for plot but could be added for fan service.

12. Bernkastel

Yeah he became right after beating Marco which further reinforces my point...Marco was mentioned among yonkou as a possible candidate to stop him meaning nothing less than a yonkou level character could achieve that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • GODA GODA x 1
    • List
  13. Flame

Not necessarily, it's just that there aren't any crews that have a YC1 captain. Obviously their assumption was wrong but they believed a yonko crew with its first commander as captain was still strong enough to stop a yonko level potential crew.

14. T.D.A

It doesn't matter how a character was first created, Oda made her canon, featuring her in the manga and re-emphasises that she was considered as a potential Admiral in a later SBS. And in regards to impact on story, it's not as if Oda has every detail set in stone and planned out, so he can easily make those 2 more prominent post Wano. There's many things Oda didn't plan for which ended up being prominent things for example: Ace being Roger's son, the Shichibukai, Law being important, and so on.

Furthermore, when it comes to Tokikake (Pig) himself, Oda said:

There actually was a time at one point where I considered making the new admirals a "Pig" and "Kappa" to match the "Monkey" "Pig" and "Kappa" trio from . However, in the end, I decided against it and we're here now with our newest additions, the "Tiger" and the "Bull". There is an actual reason for this, but I won't tell.

15. TheOmega

Cuz they FILLER:jackal

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Great Potato

It's likely that they've already peaked, they don't really strike me as up and comers, so if they haven't reached Admiral level yet than they probably never will. It doesn't sound like a satisfying conclusion to have those empty ranks filled by people who haven't seen much relevance and weren't good enough to make the cut over the former admirals when they had their chance.

The likes of Coby, Drake, and Smoker are much more established characters who have been actively growing and can realistically cap out wherever Oda feels necessary.

17. Bernkastel

Obviously they didnt think that Marco is just a typical 1st mate otherwise they would never mention him in the same breath as the rest of the yonkou..yes their assumption was wrong which is exactly why we shouldn't call Gion and Tokitake admirals till they prove themselves which imo they can't anyway and their ~1st mate level...which is actually amazing since VAs are trash tier combat wise

18. Tenma

Unfortunately, they are minor characters literally included after an SBS gag. Admiral is treated as a pretty significant title which will go characters of greater relevance.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  19. Flame

That's not what I meant. What i'm trying to say is the Gorosei didn't necessarily view Marco and his crew as yonko level but BB and his crew as YC1 level with yonko potential. The only 'not yonko' crew with a YC1 captain was Marco's.

20. January

To be fair, so far they have appeared as side characters to story.

The reason is Oda hasn't given them panel time showcasing their feats nor did he create badass intros for them.

Tell me TDA, if these characters were important would we have not seen them after Shichibukai were disbanded?

We didn't get a single panel featuring them.

21. T.D.A

We've hardly seen anything after the Shichibukai were disbanded since practically all of it is being off-paneled. For all we know they could have been sent to capture Mihawk/Weevil etc.

22. GrizzlyClaws

These two characters will never matter in any meaningful way in the story.

Their introduction to the manga is more of a tribute or easter egg to the original fan creators.

Whichs sucks btw, because they look interesting and Vice Admirals need more strong fighters to make up for the Maynards and Bastilles in their ranks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  23. Bernkastel

Unless they're ultra stupid there's no way they thought a Teach with 2 of the strongest DFs and after seeing the havoc he wreaked in MF could be stopped by a 1st mate and a broken crew...and again you can't compare a yonkou crew in full power with a broken crew like Marco's unless u think they somewhat close...the gap is huge...anyway the point is that you can't call Gion and Tokitake admirals based on their current hype..at best they can be 1st mate level.

24. Beast

Okay, replace Drake and Smoker with Sexy Gion and old guy.

25. Ren.

Because Luffy is not Yonko level even if he is declared 5th Yonko.

Marco is not yonko level, even if he fought BB to stop him and BB is now Yonko.

Garp was not VA level just because he is VA.

Garp was not only as strong as an Admiral when he has better portrait.

26. Saitama

Oda added them to let the marines save face, considering that they got their new admirals from outside the organization.

27. Vivo Diez

All of your examples are of existing characters taking a different route/importance in the story that were pretty integral to the story to begin with, not of a character conceived by the fans playing an integral part in the story.

28. Raikiri19

Smoker...

I mean Oda destroyed Smoker

29. Flame

I would've addressed your other points if it weren't for this. I never stated I view them as admirals...? :catthinks

30. Louis-954

I’m not forgetting about them, I just think they are at their peak already, whereas Koby, Smoker and Drake are still getting stronger and will likely be considered beacons of strength in the next generation of Marines.