1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Come join the RP Section for the monthly world (universe?) creation contest. This month's theme is space opera.

So charge the hyperdrive, power up the plasma cannons, and set sail for new worlds!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the NF Awards! Nominate your favorite posters!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the latest Newsletter!

Click here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The future of the Cafe Subsections is up to you. Vote here to make your voice heard!"

Click here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Are Goat Milk and Meat Not More Popular in the United States?

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by DemonDragonJ, Apr 21, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

In the United States, cow’s milk is currently the most popular type of milk for people to drink and beef is a very popular type of meat. However, I have been researching this subject, and I have learned that goat milk and goat meat are actually healthier for humans than are milk and meat from cows. Not only that, goats require far less space for grazing, so raising goats is both less expensive and better for the environment than is raising cows, so I find myself wondering why goats are not more popular than are cows as a source of food.

Currently, the greatest drawback for goat meat and milk is their price, but that is specifically because they are not as popular as are cows. If goat milk and goat meat became more popular, the market for them would grow, and they would eventually become less expensive.

What does everyone else say about this? Why are goats less popular than cows, and will that change at any time in the near future?

Tags:
  2. Nataly Moderator

You think people here will drink goat milk
    I doubt that

3. Xiammes All For One Administrator

Not counting familiarity, cows are much more useful in farming. They shit, produce milk, become beef, their hides make leather and relatively docile and easy to manage.

4. Djomla Magic Emperor

Because goat milk is disgusting?

5. Nataly Moderator

Moreover, producing cow milk and raising cows for meat are big profitable monopoly businesses, and why would corporations change their ways if they have been successful for so long. People won't accept a product like goat milk in US (even though it's more beneficial than cow milk for humans) , so why bother and put a lot of money into that production

6. mcpon14 Well-Known Member

Probably the cow people will prevent goat milk and meat from gaining traction in the market for those things.

7. Takaya Well-Known Member

I don't know, but goat's milk takes a bit of getting used to. Once you adapt, though, it's great. I drink it all the time, it's kinder to my stomach than cow's milk. After this many years drinking it, I'm completely adapted and now it's cow's milk that sometimes tastes odd to me.

8. ~M~ Take my kindness for weakness

It’s about industrialization, whose biproduct is specialization. The United States could eat a lot more turkey, deer, bison, goose, rabbit, lamb, etc. But we can’t manufacture these meats to feed the nation despite them being native. There’s opportunity cost and we already have the structure built to raise cattle in particular since antiquity, not deer.

I have dozens of deer in my 500 sq meter back yard. That’s a lot more meat than lamb and goat my friend. But I can’t hunt them because I’m in the city so they will basically never be eaten. What I’m saying is that there’s a lot of natural bounty and it does go to waste but it’s because we’ve become so efficient in other production methods.

But onto goat milk, it is often used for cheese. Nothing wrong with that. I think chèvre is gaining popularity I’ve used it in many restaurants I’ve worked.

9. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

Some goats have wool that can be used for clothing, they also produce milk and meat, and I imagine that their feces is far easier to clean up than is that of cows. Also, as I said, above, they require far less space for grazing; then goats can be raised in the same space as two cows.

That is purely a matter of opinion, and I have had goat milk, and I believe that it is delicious.

Because the companies could actually save money by choosing goats over cows on account of the fact that goats require less land space and less food than do cows, and they also are not usually large enough to be dangerous to humans.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  10. mcpon14 Well-Known Member

If a country where goat milk is a mainstay and many immigrants from there come over, they will set up little cultural hubs and it will expand from there and become popular, just like what some Asians did with soy milk.

11. Aphrodite Well-Known Member Advisor

I ate curry goat a few times. Not to much of a fan. I mean it dont taste horrible but you can tell its not beef even though its close to tasting like beef.

12. Mider T VM Rapist

That's not what he means. Cows shit...alot. Alot more than other domestic animals, their manure is nitrogen-rich and is used for farming.

Goats poop in useless pellets.

13. Xiammes All For One Administrator

Cow manure is great fertilizer, they shit a lot and it is easily moved into the fields. Cows are simple the quintessential farming animal because every aspect of it is useful, even down to its shit. Goats are also well known farming animals, but they produce less milk and less meat so they aren't as good as cows for industrialization, also their shit isn't something that translates into fertilization as well.

Once farm became industrialized, goats stopped being as relevant and only exist to the people who like its niche.

14. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

You still have not addressed the fact that goats require far less land space for grazing, and thus will save farmers money in the long term, as well as the fact that that is better for the environment, because less forests need to be cleared for that grazing space.

And what about the fact that goat meat and milk are healthier for humans than are those of cows? I would expect that that fact alone would outweigh whatever benefits cows offer.

15. Mider T VM Rapist

You don't need to farm grass, which is all these animals need. Also you were just told what benefits goes offer, so I'm not sure why you're still acting like goats are superior.

16. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

They are, in terms of the nutritional content of their meat and milk, which is what humans consume. Most humans do not consume the leather and feces of cows, so any products from those animals beyond their meat and milk are only secondary to (i.e., less important than) their meat and milk.

17. Mider T VM Rapist

No. Cows contribute more to nature and ultimately to the raising of other cattle. They are longer lived, produce more milk and meat, and are generally a more useful animal. Also goats consume grass quicker while cows graze (4 stomachs take longer to digest) and cows also don't clear a pasture clear like goats do.

18. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

The entire reason that humans domesticated cattle in the first place was for their meat and milk, and, since those of goats are better than those of cattle, the entire reason for domesticating cattle is defeated.

19. Mider T VM Rapist

They aren't though. And a thing with more (and better) uses than something else, is a better thing. I mean I just told you cows produce more milk and meat with less resources required.

20. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

Quality is always better than quantity, and I believe that anyone who disagrees with that idea is a fool, and did I not state that goats require far less grazing space than do cattle?

21. Mider T VM Rapist

I already addressed that and why it doesn't matter.

22. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

Can you not let me win even one argument? It has been so long since the last time the I actually won an argument with anyone that I do not even recall when that was.

And how does it not matter?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  23. Mider T VM Rapist

Scroll up, I've said it twice now. Come up with better positions and you won't lose.

24. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

I am not changing what I said; goat milk and meat are healthier for humans, and that is all that matters; everything else is secondary.

25. Mider T VM Rapist

26. Xiammes All For One Administrator

Grazing isn't that big of a problem for farmers, they are interested in production, cows produce more meat, more milk and their literal shit keeps the crops growing, they are more docile, easier to harvest. The farm is centered around the cows, thats all there is too it, Goats don't provide the same kind of benefit, so they mostly relegated to a niche.

27. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

I already said that quality always triumphs over quantity, so what do you say about that?

28. Xiammes All For One Administrator

Quality does not trump quantity in these case. Its much more costly in time/resources to harvest goat milk and they simple produce less. If the world switched over goat milk, milk would be several times higher, as would cheese or any dairy product. Also farms would not be able to run without cows since they would no longer have the ability to fertilize the fields.

As farms grow bigger, they need more fertilizer, thus they get more cows. They harvest milk and fertilizer during the mean time. When the cow dies, they make leather out of its skin and sell the meat as beef. Excess cows are turned into beef/leather after they are born.

You need to put some thought into what actually goes into production. Your point of goat milk being healthier does not trump the reality of operating a farm at any point in history.

29. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

I am no expert in economics, but, if goats became more popular, their products would eventually become less expensive as the market for them grew and the methods for raising them became more efficient.

Also, I have another question: what should people do if they wish for healthier milk and red meat? Somehow, I imagine that attempting to make bison meat (which is also healthier than beef) more mainstream would be a very difficult endeavor.

30. Xiammes All For One Administrator

It isn't just about raising them, its the fact that cows are simple more efficient and produce a lot more product to sell. Farms feed the country, so they need to produce a lot of food, cows are simple the best at producing a lot of food and product. Goats have a niche, its why farms do raise them but they can't take control over the supply in the same way cows can.

If people want to eat healthier, they need to spend a lot more money. The simple matter of the fact is that higher quality food requires more specialization and can't be produced at a high level. Its supply and demand, look at venison, there are a ton of deer every where, you can get your permits and go kill one for some pretty tasty dinner, but do you think a couple thousand hunters are able to feed a entire the entire country deer meat? So they only way to eat venison is to either hunt it yourself or pay someone to do it for you, which they can't sell to every person who wants it, so they raise the price and people willing to pay it get to eat it.

There are farms that dedicate themselves to selling high quality meat, happy cows produce higher quality meat, but they are much more time consuming and slow to produce, so the price is really high for them.