1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Why are people afraid of death?

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by Scars, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Scars Hmmm, All Shall Perish

I can't understand why some people are afraid of death. It will happen eventually to everyone so why do some many fear it, why do they tremble at the slightest thought of death. Its beyond me, I m clueless as to why. In my opinion, its pointless. Death is a necessary end that will come when it comes.

Tags:
  2. DragonHeart52 Cooler by the Lake

I'm not as afraid of death as I am of not finishing the things that I want to have completed by the time I die. I don't know if it's death that I fear as much as the process of dying; when the time comes, I really would prefer something quick, clean, and as painless as possible. Unfortunately, our current society reserves that for those perceived as being the worst of criminals.

Death itself is a big unknown. The question still remains whether life as I know it is just a passing through and death takes me on to the next phase or oblivion. No one can answer that for me (although those with "faith" will tell me they can). The unknown always makes people fearful.

3. kataimiko 忘れるものか この一分一秒を

I think I am more afraid of the process of which will lead to my demise. May it be falling from a 5 story building, or being hit by a car...who knows. :oh

4. TDM Toast

Death is typically painful. Pain more or less=Death. Pain > Humans (the base humans anyway) therefore Death > Humans.

5. ANBU87 Member

"everyone knows they're going to die. But they don't believe it" My Hist 12 teacher showed it to us. Maybe ppl are afraid of what will happen next. or they like life here. who knows...

6. road_rash martial artist

A lot of people fear death because they don't know what will happen to them ,or as it was said, they are afraid of having a pinful death. I must admit, dying a slow and painful death sends shivers up my spine as well.

As for me, I used to be not afraid of death (cause to me death = get to meet God), but for the past several monhs I've been developing more of a fear for it, not for me, but what certain people would feel if they found out I have died. There's some people I just don't want to hurt with that news.

Does that mean I am not living for myself, but living for others?:oh

7. Sasume friend or foe

living is dying dying is living I'm afraid of life not death:sad

8. Kurairu Lords of Insufficient Light

Honestly, I welcome death. It chooses when to come to each person and I have no reason to fear that. But I imagine that people that fear it just aren't content with their accomplishments or they have too much to look forward to. Or maybe they just aren't ready mentally to go. It's anyone's guess, but since it doesn't apply to me I'm not the best person to ask.​

9. earthshine Banned

its not as much a fear of death, as much as a fear of running out of time. many have things they feel they still need to do, and are not ready for it to end.

also, nobody knows what happens after death. its no always the death, its the unkown that scares people

10. Warsaint777 Yearning for an Actiongasm

For those who don't believe in life after death, they fear death because to them it means the end of their very conscousness, meaning you will not even exist in your thinking, just as you were before you were born, forever; a small step from "Hell" if you ask me.

For those who are religious, presumably some form of Christian, even the scriptures claim Death as an entity & enemy that must be and will be defeated in the end. And it's talking about both the kind that destroys and rots your body as well as the kind that consumes your spirit. It's often referred to as "Hades" and many beleive the scriptures are just describing Hell as being an ultimate death of mind and spirit. People fear and hate death because God wants them to so we can feel good about it when he comes and shits on it in the end times.

No matter what the case, if you think you've come to some ultimate resolution that death is ok and that you're ready for it whenever, you're literally lying to yourself. Death can stop being feared when it's dead. Sure, we shouldn't dread it nonstop since right now it will claim us all physically, but God naturally built us to despise it so that we could avoid it and make the best of our lives before it comes to claim our bodies. Eventually Death will be killed, and our bodies will stay perfect forever and our souls will be immortal.

Just my opinion... alot of it's based on some dusty book I found in the attic.

EDIT: Just for anyone's information, Death is a an unlifted curse that came upon us at the birth of Sin. Sin and Death are intertwined and are one. Embracing Death is like embracing your seperation from God... I think that would hurt his feelings. The whole point of the Christian religion is seeking salvation from Death thru submission to God/Jesus so that the gap between us and God can close.

11. SeruraRenge Reaching infinite

It you fall from high enough, yur body will be basically liquified when it hits the ground, so you won't feel pain:amuse .

Anyway, I think that people are afraid of death because it's the one thing that no one knows what happens after.

Hey wait, I just thought of something. Everything our body is capable of going through has a survival factor, in order for....i dunno, nature to be balanced or sumthin. So, since death is part of the biological process, does that mean it has a survival factor too, but it's so low that no one has lived through it yet?

12. Dark Schneider The Ruler of the Universe

Well personally, I am not afraid of death. However who knows? Death is a natural process--the next step.Then again, I believe that once I die I'll be buried 6 feet under--and that will be the end of me. The main reason as to why death is feared, is the fact that it charters in the territory of the "unknown". Until we can comprehend the essence of death, it will always be a dreaded topic. C'est la vie!

13. sensaike Teacher, Master, God-like...

Human being are afraid of what they don?t understand. Like the saying goes, ?what we don?t understand we destroy?

Death is a gift to us human. One that we were not meant to have. For those who believe in God remember what happened to the first two human ever creative. If you ask me, death is what gives us a purpose. Think about it with out death we would have noting to look forward to and nothing we couldn?t do. It all would be a matter of time until you do it. Cause eventually we would do everything and we would become bored, of immortality of life?It is because of death that we volume the stuff we do, because we know that we may not get another chance to do it. You only have one chance and you have to do what u have to do. Went you have to it.

Don?t get me wrong though. Went I said it was a gift. I dint meant a gift from God to us. He gave it to us as a sentence, death sentence? Why he did it, I can?t really get that. Either because he was afraid of us or to save us. Depends on what u want to believe or know? He did say that we had the same abilities as him or more like we could get the same abilities as him. Therefore, we must die? Either because he loves being more powerful then us and having us as puppets or because we would kill ourselves with it.

For those who don?t believe in God. U don?t have to. I don?t ether. I believe he exists, but I will not follow him. People go to church, pray for him, and obey him, because they fear him. They know that if he does exist, they would rather go with him because he can save and protect them. They only do what they do because they know that he can erase them if he wants? that?s fear and not having freedom. We were place in this earth to be free and find ours purpose. However, you can?t do that if you area mindless follower!

I don?t know what Gods purpose was for creating us. Maybe we were not even creative by him. Maybe we were creative by a bacterium like scientists believe. Who knows? Nevertheless, we do know this; we are here so lets do what we have to do and what we want to do.

For those who believe in God so much, remember that he wouldn?t tell you the full truth if it were to get in the way of his plans. He would tell you what you want to heard? doesn?t even have to get in his way he can and just lie to you. Gundam seed destiny story line for example? If you want a more visible view of it. Not everything is the way it appears to be?

If you are asking, why is it that I?m telling you how to think or what to think about went I say I believe in freedom? It is because people will listen, because as much as I hate it, people are mostly followers. And they are use to learning like this. So I?m teaching you the way you are use to learn because is easier for you to learn?

Think about it, God get all the praise for all the good things in life, but never gets blame for the bad ones. Whys is that? You may ask. Either because people can?t bring themselves to believe that god may be bad or that he doesn?t help us. Or it could be because they are afraid of him or have their brain shut to anything other then what they want to believe or what they were teach... They refuse to believe anything other then what they want to believe? If you ask me having, an open mind is the best thing that one can do. An advice can come from anybody, don?t matter who he is or what his intention was or is?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  14. Wing-Zero Whoa!!!

i am not afraid of death, or how i will die so meh

15. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

People are afriad of death for a multitude of reasons. There are so many so I'll try to make as general a list as possible in 3 reasons.
    1. Religious people may think they're going to hell so they're afraid.
    2. People have attatchments to this world be it money, family, purpose in life etc.
    3. People don't know what happens after they die.

16. cinosweiv The Half Blood Bleach

"It is the unknown that we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more" direct quote from Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter Half Blood Prince.

Pretty reasonable, isn't it?

17. Warsaint777 Yearning for an Actiongasm

If I were like you people who are content with not knowing what the hell happens with your soul after death, I would go insane.

Your thinking that the fate of the soul could be one out of any huge number of possible fates, and your just sitting there waiting to die so you can find out for yourself?! What if when you die you discover God extinguishes souls that didn't submit to Jesus when in life?! What will you do then?! Start taking precautions! You don't have to cover all your bases, but at LEAST believe in SOMETHING! Don't you people realize how important your eternal conscousness is?!

18. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

... U can;t understand?

If you were starving or living in a war torn country you'd understand pretty damn well. If you had a diease, you'd understand pretty damn well. If you've been surrounded by death your whole life you'd understand pretty well.

I'm not afraid of death, but a whole lot of people are, and for good reason-

Ps: All teenagers are fearless anyway. When you have kids that fear becomes death and that your kids won't have you.

Pss: You show you YOUTH!

Psss: The exuberensate of youth!-Is that what lee always says.. err wtf that line- Goddamit

19. Eden Prime Tangible Mediums.

Not so much afraid of death, more afraid of not living; no purpose, no chances, everything is done. And you can't change your legacy.

20. Nico Active Member

I think some people are afraid of death because they don't want to experience how it will happen.

21. pajamas Banned

I'm not afraid of death, but I'd rather not die before the age of 50. Then I can die. I have a lot to accomplish before that point, like making an invincibility/immortality potion.

22. silent_speech Hidden Akatsuki Nin

like so many people said before me, i believe that people aren't afraid of the concept of death per se; they're afraid of the uncertainty of what comes after death. Kind of like the reason why kids are afraid of the dark; they aren't really afraid of the "dark", they're afraid of "what can come out of the dark", in other words, the concept of uncertainty.

23. Lord Itachi Uchiha God

that means you are afraid of death if you dont wanna die before 50. every is afraid. its just where would you go afterwards

24. ez Jesus Christ

You say that now but when you get older you'll be afraid. Or when you are in a life and death situation, you will want to live. Otherwise, you're just suicidal.

25. Kakashis_grl_Ice Kakashi's girl

I believe that people are afraid of death because they are afraid to leave things undone. To have a life that was unworthly and to have an after life they will regret if they did not live right. Most are probually afraid that they didnt' live a full life and so forth. And some don't want to come to terms with the fact that once they are dead they are forever gone. So they do not want to die.

26. princesstaco Tastes like...

People who fear death tend to live life a bit more cautiously and probably live longer as a result. A person who lives longer has more chances to reproduce and pass on this 'death fearing' trend. These people, in turn, fear death, live longer, and produce more death fearing children in a giant death fearing cycle.

People who don't fear death will tend to act with less caution. Ergo, they probably put themselves at greater risk and may die before being able to reproduce.

Eventually, the vast majority of the population fears death.

Fearing death is a survival mechanism.

ahhh...natural selection.

27. Danny Lilithborne 我を愛する修羅

I fear girls more than death. At least death is certain.

28. Kasumi 霞 Drawing Chalk Outlines

I think people are afraid of death because they're afraid that it's going to be worst than life. Some people have already accepted their fate but others still want to cling on and experience every bit of life before it ends.

29. Master Scorpion UG's High Priest

Because they know that they will end up in Hell! so that's why ppl scare of death....

30. Lord Itachi Uchiha God

I agree with that. i think that if they know that they are going to heaven then they will not be afraid to die. But i also think that they are afraid of how they are going to die.